Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Is there still EU and US servers or did they merge everything under the Ywain cluster? Is there enough EU players still?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Are wardens still kickin' rad helperbots that are second only to bards for being loved?

Or are they just subpar healers with heavier armor?

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I downloaded this and have been messing with the character creator. I made an eldritch and an animist, any opinion on which is the better explosion maker? The turret pets seem kinda cool for pvp, but I remember eldritches having crazy cool void bolts of death. Animists can be celts with cool spiky hair, though :3:

Jessant
Jun 16, 2001

Made a Vamp called Silm in hopes of some Thid action.

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

"I WILL DEVOUR 100 GENERATIONS OF YOUR FAMILY!"

Le0 posted:

Is there still EU and US servers or did they merge everything under the Ywain cluster? Is there enough EU players still?

They're all merged together now with the Ywain cluster. The only separate servers now are Gaheris (PvE) and Mordred (open PvP). The EU player population is still pretty sizable, I'd say.

Relentless posted:

Are wardens still kickin' rad helperbots that are second only to bards for being loved?

Or are they just subpar healers with heavier armor?

Two patches ago wardens had greater heals and spec group heals added to their Regrowth line, so they're now a secondary healer instead of a tertiary healer. Plus, they can still do their melee voodoo with their chants (damage add, celerity melee speed buff, pulsing bladeturn, etc) and groups love their magic resistance buffs. Keep in mind, though, that they hit like a wet noodle with regular styles. Their awesomeness is in their utility. And last, but not least, wardens can get the TWF realm ability, which is badly needed by Hib.

vandalism posted:

I downloaded this and have been messing with the character creator. I made an eldritch and an animist, any opinion on which is the better explosion maker? The turret pets seem kinda cool for pvp, but I remember eldritches having crazy cool void bolts of death. Animists can be celts with cool spiky hair, though :3:

Animists are pretty awesome and can do insane damage if you spec Arb for the bombers, but the bombers can run into pathing issues on the way to their target, so that's best for open field fights. Also, the new moving pets means that Hib gets a bit more interrupting utility. Eldritches are Hib's Swiss Army Knives. They do really good damage in all of the spec lines, though Void is probably the most lacking. Light has a powerful DD spell, AE mez, nearsight, and a insta-AE dex/qui debuff. Mana has PBAoE damage, a snare/DD spell, AE disease (awesome!), insta-AE str/con debuff, and more. Void mainly just has bolts and a couple of magic debuff spells that are nice if you're grouped with one of the few remaining RvR bainshees.

In other words, both classes are fun. :)

Jessant posted:

Made a Vamp called Silm in hopes of some Thid action.

Awesome! Any goons in the guild already can invite you to the guild if you wish. As for Lore and I, we'll be online again this evening after work.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Are Valewalkers worth anything yet? They were considered largely worthless when I last poked my head in and looked around. How about Mentalists or Enchanters? I never understood where they really "fit" in Hibernia's caster lineup. The only class I've really played on Hibernia was an Eldritch.

EDIT: Animist question answered above!

boho fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 3, 2012

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

boho posted:

Are Valewalkers worth anything yet? They were considered largely worthless when I last poked my head in and looked around. How about Mentalists or Enchanters? I never understood where they really "fit" in Hibernia's caster lineup. The only class I've really played on Hibernia was an Eldritch.

I mostly see VWs solo, and they do really well. From what I understand, they're a pretty good class if played well. They do lack melee styles for peeling, though.

Mentalists and enchanters have received love in the last few patches so they're almost on par with elds, I think. Elds probably still have more "utility", but they're all good casters. I've been meaning to roll a mentalism-specced ment for their DD/heal, mez, heal, demez, etc. :)

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

vandalism posted:

I made an eld and have been leveling as void, just because the bolts pretty much two shot (and sometimes one shot) yellow mobs. I'll be switching to Light at 50 because bolts in RvR are annoying...they can be blocked, or miss, or if the target is in combat already sometimes it will miss, and suddenly your damage takes a huge downward turn. The range is nice and everything but mostly the only thing bolts are good for is standing up on the ramparts of a keep and raining them down on a target once every 30 seconds or so.

Bishop01
Apr 27, 2007

Has you seen my bucket?!
Anyone thinking about this... I haven't played since 2004. I read every tutorial and still made it to 20 in a few hrs of ineffeciant bg/pve leveling. They have portals everywhere and gear is thrown at you in bgs. Plus I did some small grp pvp in bgs ans it was fun as hell, even when we got rolled

Jessant
Jun 16, 2001

Thidranki (funtime) ready in under 3 hours played, last time I played DAOC I would be very pleased to be thidranki level in 3 days, nevermind having decent equipment.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Bishop01 posted:

Anyone thinking about this... I haven't played since 2004. I read every tutorial and still made it to 20 in a few hrs of ineffeciant bg/pve leveling. They have portals everywhere and gear is thrown at you in bgs. Plus I did some small grp pvp in bgs ans it was fun as hell, even when we got rolled

Glad to see you got up to 20 and are having fun, I was going to roll something to catch up to you and run BG quests with you if you were still having issues finding a group, I still might tonight/tomorrow depending on how much time I have. I can't really PL you but grouping up in the BGs and doing the quests is honestly just about as good.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Are there any Cabalist-type casters in a realm other than Albion? I'd rather not be on team zerg if I can help it...

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

Lore and I have some Thid or lower toons that we'll probably dust off soon to join whoever's leveling up. Also, we had talked about doing some power level nights since we could easily get people from 1 to 20+ in hardly any time at all. At least this way if anyone wants to try different classes or something it would be painless.

Edit:

boho posted:

Are there any Cabalist-type casters in a realm other than Albion? I'd rather not be on team zerg if I can help it...

The closest would probably be Enchanters and Spiritmasters, though I would say the cabbie has nicer toys generally.

ButtaKnife fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 3, 2012

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

ButtaKnife posted:

I would say the cabbie has nicer toys generally.

Exactly. They lack an AOE damage source (though they do get Disease!) but otherwise their skill set is great.

Eldritch miss out on the lifedrains and dots, but they do get AOE and the infamous stun. I think that's a fair trade when you add in the benefit of not having to play on Albion.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck

boho posted:

Pretty much from what I can tell everyone is in team zerg unless you want to solo, in which case you're going to be fighting stealth zergs.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

angry muppet posted:

Pretty much from what I can tell everyone is in team zerg unless you want to solo, in which case you're going to be fighting stealth zergs.

I love zerg versus zerg, I just don't want to be on the overpopulated side.

I've been there before, it sucks to run around for 30 minutes and not find anyone to fight.

AN ANGRY MOTHER
Jan 31, 2008
BLANK
Come Hib then, last night I ported to DC and Albs were literally right outside the walls. It was awesome.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
How are the healing/support classes in pvp? I want to play a healer, but if they're just going to be fodder for other people I'd switch to a different class.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I remember the patch that added pants to cabalist pets! They used to be way awesome dudes without pants. This game brings back so many memories. Ahh, that log in music. I think I'll try an animist. I played a wizard up to 44 I think back in the day on the Tristan server in a guild called Firewind, if I remember correctly. I never got my dude to max level. But I had a sweet name: Gimped Nerfed

:haw:

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck

Bahanahab posted:

How are the healing/support classes in pvp? I want to play a healer, but if they're just going to be fodder for other people I'd switch to a different class.

They can be a lot of fun. I've played primary healers in all realms. Yes, you will be a target for the enemy, however, your groups objective is to help you survive as well. You also get realm points for healing, so you'll usually end the day with more points than anyone else in your group. I believe it was already mentioned in this thread, in hib, wardens can function as pretty good healers but are also a lot more versatile and survivable in what they can do in the group since on top of having the Major Heal, which is the bread and butter heal spell of all primary healers, they also have access to pulsing bladeturn (magical bubble that stops 1 melee attack) celerity (huuuuuge stacking haste buff), minor speed, self indurance regen.

Just keep in mind that Wardens are a hybrid class, meaning that while they can do many things, they'll never match a druid for heals, and they'll never match a blademaster for damage.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004

ButtaKnife posted:

I mostly see VWs solo, and they do really well. From what I understand, they're a pretty good class if played well. They do lack melee styles for peeling, though.

Valewalker melee is actually based on peeling. All of their strongest styles are side and back styles.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
What is the point of RvR at max level? Do you gain anything from it, or is it just for fun type of thing?

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
You gain 'realm points' from various things in RVR. The realm points are your new experience points, which help you plow through about 140 levels of realm levels. Every 10 realm levels you gain a realm rank. For every realm level, you gain 1 realm skill point to spend on realm abilities. For every realm rank (10 realm levels) you gain +1 to all of your skills. At realm rank 5 you gain a unique class ability.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Also, what am I doing wrong with the scout class? In RvR, I'm doing around 10% of someones life with a 7 sec cast (fire, cold, or power shot), while everyone else seems to do about 25% of my life every 2 seconds or so.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
There's lots of factors:

The dps of your weapon/the quality of your weapon.
Your skill level in Longbow.
Your bonus to bow skill
Your % bonus to magic damage.
Your realm rank.
Their realm rank.
(I tend to use PB shot a lot more in rvr)
Most people have a 26% reduction to arrow damage these days from resistances

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

SERPUS posted:

There's lots of factors:

The dps of your weapon/the quality of your weapon.
Your skill level in Longbow.
Your bonus to bow skill
Your % bonus to magic damage.
Your realm rank.
Their realm rank.
(I tend to use PB shot a lot more in rvr)
Most people have a 26% reduction to arrow damage these days from resistances

Probably my bow. I'm not sure why the battleground vendor doesn't sell bows...

Any advice on where to buy a new one? I'm level 40 now.

Edit: holy crap, just noticed there is a scroll bar, in addition to the other pages of gear....

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 3, 2012

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

angry muppet posted:

Just keep in mind that Wardens are a hybrid class, meaning that while they can do many things, they'll never match a druid for heals, and they'll never match a blademaster for damage.

Great, thank you for the info. Is there anything special about how to build a hybrid warden I should know about in advance?

AN ANGRY MOTHER
Jan 31, 2008
BLANK

Bahanahab posted:

Great, thank you for the info. Is there anything special about how to build a hybrid warden I should know about in advance?

Keep nurture up almost to your level and the rest in regrow if you want to heal or weapon/shield if you want to fight. Right now at 24 I'm 21 nurture/20 blunt/12 shield, because I like to fight.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
A warden with bodyguard is an eldritch's wet dream.

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck

SERPUS posted:

A warden with bodyguard is an eldritch's wet dream.

My BM was rather fond of duoing with wardens. I think our greatest victory was melting a full group of mids that used to run around ganking XPers in Labyrinth.

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

SERPUS posted:

Valewalker melee is actually based on peeling. All of their strongest styles are side and back styles.

The real problem, as I understand it, is a lack of snare styles. They get a rear stun, but that's pretty much it for peeling. The positional styles are great for damage, though.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
Anyone want to give me a quick run-down of classes recommended ?

I usually play ranged DPS or heal in MMO's.

I have made some aborted attempts to get into DAOC in the past but found movement and the UI rather clunky compared to more modern MMO's and that has put me off. So a class needing not alot of micromanagement and movement especially in PVP would be good.

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

For Combo, and anyone else who's interested, here's the template my eldritch currently uses. The ML10 robe and pants are the worst items in the template to get, but even those aren't as bad as many alternatives.

GearBunnyX 1.102.0.1 Template Report
Configuration Name : ML10 Stuff3
Character Class : (Hib) Eldritch
Server Type : Normal
Character Level : 50
Race : Lurikeen

Stat Details : Items / Cap

<-- Stats -->
Constitution : 77 / 75
Dexterity : 103 / 101
Intelligence : 110 / 101
Acuity : 110 / 101
Hit Points : 372 / 380

<-- Stat Cap Increases -->
Dexterity Cap : 28 / 26
Acuity Cap : 33 / 26
Power Cap : 10 / 50
Hit Points Cap : 180 / 200

<-- Resists -->
Crush Resist : 30 / 31
Slash Resist : 27 / 26
Thrust Resist : 21 / 26
Heat Resist : 26 / 26
Cold Resist : 21 / 26
Matter Resist : 23 / 26
Energy Resist : 34 / 31
Body Resist : 26 / 26
Spirit Resist : 27 / 26

<-- ToA Bonuses -->
Power Pool % : 35 / 35
Archery/Spell Speed : 13 / 10
Archery/Spell Damage : 10 / 10
Archery/Spell Range : 13 / 10
Spell Pierce : 10 / 10
Spell Duration : 11 / 25
Armor Factor : 19 / 50
Arcane Siphoning : 20 / 25
Buff Enhance : 6 / 25

<-- General Skills -->
All Melee Skills : 2 / 11
All Casting Skills : 12 / 11
Focus:All Lines : 50 / 50

<-- Hibernia Magic -->
Light Magic : 12 / 11
Mana Magic : 12 / 11
Void Magic : 12 / 11

<== Equipment Info ==>

Weapons Equipped : Two Handed ( 2H )
( Chest ) (RoG) : Astral Robe of Virulence
7 Power Pool %
21 Acuity
21 Constitution
3 All Casting Skills
8 Dexterity Cap
4 Spell Speed
4 Spell Damage

(Head) : Dragonslayer Woven Full Helm
22 Constitution
6 Body Resist
6 Energy Resist
6 Matter Resist
40 Hit Points
5 Armor Factor
40 Hit Points Cap
60.7 Utility / 75.7 ToA Utility
Bonus Level (Auto) : 42

( Arms ) (Manual Name) : ML10Temp3
Item Type : Crafted
Hit Points : 76 ( Perfect blood essence jewel )
Dexterity : 16 ( Polished vapor essence jewel )
Heat Resist : 11 ( Faceted heated shielding jewel )
Body Resist : 3 ( Rough dusty shielding jewel )
Fifth Slot Bonuses : 40 Hit Points Cap
Gem 1 : 1 Ra , 37 Essence of Life , 10 Giant Blood
Gem 2 : 1 Mon , 21 Essence of Life , 6 Swamp Fog
Gem 3 : 1 Ros , 31 Ground Draconic Scales , 7 Heat From an Unearthly Pyre
Gem 4 : 1 On , 11 Ground Draconic Scales , 3 Undead Ash and Holy Water

(Hands) : Maddening Scalars - Cloth
40 Hit Points
15 Dexterity
15 Acuity
6 Power Pool %
3 Spell Speed
5 Dexterity Cap
5 Acuity Cap
30.0 Utility / 49.0 ToA Utility
Bonus Level (Manual) : 46
( Legs ) (RoG) : Astral Pants of Stellar Warding (Hib Update)
7 Power Pool %
21 Dexterity
2 All Casting Skills
2 All Melee Skills
3 Spell Range
14 Armor Factor
10 Acuity Cap
4 Spell Speed

( Feet ) (Manual Name) : ML10Temp3
Item Type : Crafted
Hit Points : 76 ( Perfect blood essence jewel )
Crush Resist : 7 ( Imperfect fiery shielding jewel )
Slash Resist : 7 ( Imperfect watery shielding jewel )
Constitution : 19 ( Faceted earthen essence jewel )
Fifth Slot Bonuses : 5 Spell Duration
Gem 1 : 1 Ra , 37 Essence of Life , 10 Giant Blood
Gem 2 : 1 Pal , 21 Ground Draconic Scales , 5 Draconic Fire
Gem 3 : 1 Pal , 21 Ground Draconic Scales , 5 Leviathan Blood
Gem 4 : 1 Ros , 25 Essence of Life , 7 Treant Blood

(Two Hand) : Azure's Folly (ToA)
15 Dexterity
5 Power Pool %
1 Spirit Resist
1 Energy Resist
50 Focus: All Lines
10 Dexterity Cap
10 Acuity Cap
10 Arcane Siphoning
5 Power Cap
4 Spell Damage
14.0 Utility / 48.0 ToA Utility
Bonus Level (Auto) : 50

(Jewel) : Eriny's Charm
15 Constitution
15 Acuity
40 Hit Points
5 Crush Resist
5 Spirit Resist
5 Energy Resist
5 Spell Range
5 Spell Pierce
60.0 Utility / 65.0 ToA Utility

(Neck) : Public Awareness Necklace (BP Item)
7 Crush Resist
7 Slash Resist
6 Thrust Resist
6 Matter Resist
6 Body Resist
6 Energy Resist
76.0 Utility / 76.0 ToA Utility
Bonus Level (Auto) : 38

(Cloak) : Glimmer Spirit Cloak
5 Energy Resist
5 Heat Resist
5 Cold Resist
5 Spirit Resist
5 Matter Resist
5 Body Resist
50 Hit Points
50 Hit Points Cap
72.5 Utility / 85.0 ToA Utility
Bonus Level (Auto) : 42

(Belt) : Jacina's Sash
6 Buff Enhance
6 Spell Duration
5 Power Cap
5 Power Pool %
5 Spell Range
5 Spell Pierce
10 Arcane Siphoning
0.0 Utility / 27.0 ToA Utility

(Ring) : Ring of the Azure
15 Dexterity
4 Cold Resist
4 Heat Resist
4 Spirit Resist
50 Hit Points
5 Dexterity Cap
5 Acuity Cap
50 Hit Points Cap
15 Acuity
2 Spell Damage
56.5 Utility / 81.0 ToA Utility
Bonus Level (Auto) : 49

(Ring) : Dusty Chronomancer's Ring (BP Item)
21 Dexterity
4 All Casting Skills
7 Slash Resist
9 Thrust Resist
2 Spell Speed
66.0 Utility / 68.0 ToA Utility
Bonus Level (Auto) : 38

(Wrist) : Glimmershade Bracer
6 Body Resist
6 Cold Resist
6 Heat Resist
6 Energy Resist
6 Matter Resist
6 Spirit Resist
5 Power Pool %
22 Acuity
86.7 Utility / 91.7 ToA Utility
Bonus Level (Auto) : 50

(Wrist) : Deathshadow Bracer
22 Acuity
3 All Casting Skills
6 Slash Resist
6 Crush Resist
6 Thrust Resist
6 Cold Resist
6 Spirit Resist
3 Acuity Cap
89.7 Utility / 92.7 ToA Utility
Bonus Level (Auto) : 48

<== Total Spellcraft Materials Needed ==>

1 On gem(s)
2 Pal gem(s)
1 Mon gem(s)
2 Ros gem(s)
2 Ra gem(s)

120 Essence of Life
84 Ground Draconic Scales

5 Draconic Fire
20 Giant Blood
7 Heat From an Unearthly Pyre
5 Leviathan Blood
6 Swamp Fog
7 Treant Blood
3 Undead Ash and Holy Water

<== End Report ==>

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

mfny posted:

Anyone want to give me a quick run-down of classes recommended ?

I usually play ranged DPS or heal in MMO's.

I have made some aborted attempts to get into DAOC in the past but found movement and the UI rather clunky compared to more modern MMO's and that has put me off. So a class needing not alot of micromanagement and movement especially in PVP would be good.

I'd suggest starting with a caster class, then. For Hibernia, your best bet would probably to try an Eldritch first, since they're pretty straight-forward. Melee classes require positioning, and some melee styles are even based on position (front, behind, or to the side of your target) so I don't think those are what you're looking for.

AN ANGRY MOTHER
Jan 31, 2008
BLANK
I agree the movement is kind of clunky, but once you learn to /stick or /face properly it gets a lot easier. The other mmos I've played are a lot smoother, sure, but when poo poo gets to be a clusterfuck and you can't stick someone I don't care if my rogue in rift does a roll forward when landing a high jump, I need to be facing the person I'm attacking, and I definitely need to be in melee range.

e: Also why is there a guild called Goon Squadz on this server that isn't us?

AN ANGRY MOTHER fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Feb 4, 2012

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
Is there any way to do macros in this game? For example, cast quick cast and then cast a spell?

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Bahanahab posted:

Is there any way to do macros in this game? For example, cast quick cast and then cast a spell?

If you mean hitting one key to do like a qc stun or something, no. Only one ability per key, they're extremely anti macro.

strifetoe
Nov 27, 2007
I cannot tell you the amount of times i've brought this webpage up, and thought about downloading it again only to not succumb to temptation.

Its a very crude game, but I had some good fun with it - back before I had any clue how to really play an MMO.

Downloading again - Will be joining you all on Hiberia.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
I just started an enchanter, and while reading up on them I keep seeing threads on focus pulling. I understand that there is a buff that you use on your pet, but the part that is confusing me is some threads say it was nerfed while others are saying it's still amazing. To top all of this off people are saying it depends on the size of your group, and if you have more than three people in the group the agro changes and your pet won't keep it at all.

Does anyone know what the current state of focus pulling is now, because I'm finding nothing but contradicting threads on this subject.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

ButtaKnife posted:

For Combo, and anyone else who's interested, here's the template my eldritch currently uses.

Thanks for that. What do you think about skill allocation for an Eldritch? Apologies if that's already in the Template (I'm not entirely sure what it all means).

• Locked thread