Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AN ANGRY MOTHER
Jan 31, 2008
BLANK

Bahanahab posted:

I just started an enchanter, and while reading up on them I keep seeing threads on focus pulling. I understand that there is a buff that you use on your pet, but the part that is confusing me is some threads say it was nerfed while others are saying it's still amazing. To top all of this off people are saying it depends on the size of your group, and if you have more than three people in the group the agro changes and your pet won't keep it at all.

Does anyone know what the current state of focus pulling is now, because I'm finding nothing but contradicting threads on this subject.

I've never played an enchanter myself, aside from low level pbaoe stuff for fun, but focus pulling is basically a damage shield that you put up and maintain on your pet. So you'll need someone in your group who has a power over time, since you'll be draining it while you keep up the dmg shield. You'll also need someone to heal your pet because the idea is to send them out and have a whole room on it attacking it and hurting it. But you'll also need for the pet to reflect enough damage to maintain aggro so the healer doesn't get it for healing you.

Not sure what the state of it is now, though, sorry for not answering your question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caldakid
Dec 17, 2006

go canucks go
Is there a shared bank system? I am started a new character but I want to transfer the plat from my Vampiir to my new char.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004

Bahanahab posted:

the current state of focus pulling

It's best done with a fully buffed pet (by a cleric/druid/shaman), and a person to cast a non-aggro HoT on the pet (mentalist/friar/mend shaman). They essentially turned focus pulling into a 3-man gig, especially if you want to do MASSIVE pulls with it. With that being said though, there's nothing a dedicated 3-man focus pulling team CAN'T do.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

caldakid posted:

Is there a shared bank system? I am started a new character but I want to transfer the plat from my Vampiir to my new char.

Nope, you have to get someone to hold it for you (or a bot if you have a second account).

If you're on hib and in Lore's guild I'm sure you could find someone. I'll do it for you if you see me on (Adenosine)

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

So there is no classic server anymore? Im going to join you guys on hib as a bard.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

ButtaKnife posted:

template

I got some plat moved over from Mid to Hib, and got started on this.

All I'm missing is the feet, arms, head, and bp ring, and just need to finish leveling artifacts so I'm not far off now :)

Oh and also 50.

AN ANGRY MOTHER
Jan 31, 2008
BLANK

TouchToneDialing posted:

So there is no classic server anymore? Im going to join you guys on hib as a bard.

I think classic server died a couple years ago, I remember making the switch over when pop was only at like 400 at peak times. Hit us up in game, we'll get you started.

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

I'm trying out the 14 day trial and am having a blast. I played this game from vanilla until just before Darkness Rising came out and they have put a lot of thought into the changes of the game, it seems. I'm in as Ongo the animist!

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Just made a bard named Kurtcobane. I'll hit one of you up for an invite.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004

TouchToneDialing posted:

Every character from every server has been merged into one giant RVR server.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

SERPUS posted:

It's best done with a fully buffed pet (by a cleric/druid/shaman), and a person to cast a non-aggro HoT on the pet (mentalist/friar/mend shaman). They essentially turned focus pulling into a 3-man gig, especially if you want to do MASSIVE pulls with it. With that being said though, there's nothing a dedicated 3-man focus pulling team CAN'T do.

Thank you for the info. It definitely helped clarify some of the murky posts I had found.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Yeah sure thing. I used to do some serious pve farming and powerlevelling with a enchanter with 50 enchantment, a mentalist with 48 mana, and a cleric with 50 enhance. Add a few realm ranks and master levels on top of that, and you can end up with a level 62 pet with many thousands of hitpoints for a short time.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I have 14 free days at the click of a button. Well, gently caress me. I have a bunch of 50 albs, and one 50 mid. I played this game for years, if anyone has any class questions I will most likely be able to answer them. Except for the Warlock and Banshee classes.

In terms of Hib, I prefer throwing an Animist into the pbae/focus group for maximum exp.

Also, I will roll up a hib, if you guys want. Only realm I never got a 50 in, while on live.

E: Is there a vent server we can use? Add me to steam if you guys want to coordinate, we can use that for voice, even. http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197961412493

Kazvall fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Feb 5, 2012

AN ANGRY MOTHER
Jan 31, 2008
BLANK

Kazvall posted:

Also, I will roll up a hib, if you guys want. Only realm I never got a 50 in, while on live.

Adenosine got 50 after 14 hours /played so no time like the present.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

AN ANGRY MOTHER posted:

Adenosine got 50 after 14 hours /played so no time like the present.

And now I'm ML4 and fully templated in about 17 hours /played

Granted, I got someone to trade some of my Midgard platinum for Hib plat, but still. I'm set to RvR by tomorrow.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

can you hear the sleepless lullaby?
Is grinding BGs the quickest way to level? I assume it's not even worth following the class quest?

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

"I WILL DEVOUR 100 GENERATIONS OF YOUR FAMILY!"
Speaking of Steam, the guild that we've hijacked for Goon use has a Steam group. Feel free to join:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/CultOfNyarlathotep

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

"I WILL DEVOUR 100 GENERATIONS OF YOUR FAMILY!"

revenance posted:

Is grinding BGs the quickest way to level? I assume it's not even worth following the class quest?

Either the BG quests or the quest hubs. Both are fast, but the BG gear is slightly better than the quest hub gear.

revenance
Sep 7, 2003

can you hear the sleepless lullaby?

ButtaKnife posted:

Either the BG quests or the quest hubs. Both are fast, but the BG gear is slightly better than the quest hub gear.
I've completely forgotten how to play this game but I do look back upon my 2H PA one-shot of casters fondly from 8 years ago. Are there any "modern" tools like char builders available?

edit: durr op

revenance fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Feb 5, 2012

I Know the Answer to That
Jan 26, 2005
I'm a caring potato.
Are Valkyries any good?

I don't know anything about any of the classes so I'm just looking to play something that sounds cool. I can't seem to find much basic information about them other than they seem to be able to either be a caster or run around in melee depending on how they are specced or something.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Good to see all of the goons in Hib! I updated my post to include the current known Hib players, but I don't know the in-game names of anyone in Midgard or Albion. Those of you who are hiding out and trying not to admit that you play another realm, it's okay, you can speak up. :)

I Know the Answer to That posted:

Are Valkyries any good?

I don't know anything about any of the classes so I'm just looking to play something that sounds cool. I can't seem to find much basic information about them other than they seem to be able to either be a caster or run around in melee depending on how they are specced or something.
Valkyries are pretty good. They are a Midgard class. They're mostly melee, but they have some magical abilities that they can use in combat. They aren't usually quick to kill.

However, if you just want something that sounds cool, you could make a Nightshade (Lurikeen or Celt) in Hibernia with us! It's a very positional class, though, so you would have to pay attention to whether you're in front of/next to/behind an enemy.

Ralconn
Aug 2, 2006

I'm considering resubscribing to this game now that there is some sort of goon presence but I don't know what hib class to play. I really don't have a preference to play style so whatever is needed most I am down to play.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Ralconn posted:

I'm considering resubscribing to this game now that there is some sort of goon presence but I don't know what hib class to play. I really don't have a preference to play style so whatever is needed most I am down to play.

I sort of felt the same way. Maybe we should organize something. I made a bard but would be up for playing any of the core 8 man class's.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Ralconn posted:

I would say just try a few classes out and see what you like. If you play a class that's "needed" (I don't know what the guild would need currently) and hate it, then you'll feel stuck. Play whatever you feel comfortable with/

edit: That all said, I've seen like 3 people say they want to start bards and 2 or 3 say animists, so I guess you can take that into consideration as well. I haven't seen anyone that I know of start a melee character (Hero/BM/Champion).

Combo fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 5, 2012

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
Could someone who knows the current state of the game do a quick rundown on each of the hib classes? I'm just going through different classes to level 12 or so to get a basic feel, but the problem is there are many different builds, abilities, and playstyles that you won't see until much higher level. A great example is the warden class can be a pure healer, melee, or a block bot that specializes in tanking. They're vastly different playstyles, but they all work in different ways.

I'm not about to play every class to 50 to find one that I like alot, but I do have enough experience in mmo's to know what type of playstyle I enjoy. Thus, a quick rundown of what the classes play like in rvr would help alot. I know I'll end up either a druid, bard, warden or mentalist due to I know I like to play a class that can heal on some type of level. What I don't know is which one, and what build, I want to focus on right now.

Another part of this game, that is taking me much longer to get used to, is the not being able to cast spells when a mob is meleeing you. I've died a few times to this just due to not being familiar with this mechanic, but the surprising thing is I'm actually starting to like it the more I play.

Once I get set on what class and build combo I'm going to go play I'll join the guild.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

strifetoe posted:

I cannot tell you the amount of times i've brought this webpage up, and thought about downloading it again only to not succumb to temptation.

Its a very crude game, but I had some good fun with it - back before I had any clue how to really play an MMO.

Downloading again - Will be joining you all on Hiberia.

Yeah the game is very crude. Every time I go back I can't get over how awful the movement and combat feel. Are buff bots still required to do anything worth while in rvr?

Nebula
Dec 30, 2004

Made a skald earlier today and I have already had 2 people tell me I suck while in Thidranki. I am bad at this game. :(

Jessant
Jun 16, 2001

My Vamp hit 40, do I need to do a a quest line in the dragon zone anymore or just farm scales later?

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Bahanahab posted:

Could someone who knows the current state of the game do a quick rundown on each of the hib classes? I'm just going through different classes to level 12 or so to get a basic feel, but the problem is there are many different builds, abilities, and playstyles that you won't see until much higher level. A great example is the warden class can be a pure healer, melee, or a block bot that specializes in tanking. They're vastly different playstyles, but they all work in different ways.

I'll try with what I know:

Healer types
Warden - seems like you have that one covered...heals, chants, block bot, minor melee damage
Bard - crowd control, heals, chants, minor melee damage
Druid - heals, buffs, shears (remove buffs from other players), a pet, dots, disease

Casters
Eldritch - long range bolts, nukes, AE mezz, single target stun, pbaoe, nearsight
Enchanter - pbaoe, nukes, pet class, not sure on mezz or stun
Mentalist - some heals, power regen, dots, hots
Animist - mushrooms everywhere

Melee
Hero - 1 hand + shield or 2 hand, heavy armor, can turn into a moose once every 10 minutes or so to deal additional damage
Blademaster - dual wield light tank, doesn't always hit with both weapons
Champion - heavy tank with debuffs? Not sure
Vamp - not really sure but I know a well played one is extremely tough to kill
Valewalker - kind of a melee/caster hybrid

Stealthers
Nightshade - stealh, poisons, dual wield, some instant damage/dot spells
Ranger - bow, dual wield, stealth, somewhat capable in both melee and range

The only thing I know about Maulers is that all 3 realms get them and I've never seen anyone play one.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Oh, for what some of the things above mean:

Mez - a form of crowd control that breaks on damage, but at the highest level I think it lasts for 60 seconds on someone with no CC reduction

Stun - shorter duration crowd control but doesn't break on damage

Disease - cuts healing on the target way down, and they're no longer effected by health regen

Dots - damage over time

Hots - heal over time

I believe everything above except hots have a single target and AE option (area of effect).

nearsight - cuts the range of someone's spells to next to nothing

PBAOE - As you've figured out already, a caster can't do a single thing when something is hitting him. PBAOE spells are extremely strong, but they have a small radius and you're the center, so you're prone to getting interrupted because you're standing right next to someone/something. Really good in RvR with the right group setup (called a bomb group). Also good for defending keeps and towers.

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

Combo posted:

I'll try with what I know:

Healer types
Warden - seems like you have that one covered...heals, chants, block bot, minor melee damage, baseline buffs, has self-haste and celerity, and requires ML melee styles to do any sort of decent melee damage
Bard - crowd control, heals, chants, minor melee damage, and baseline buffs
Druid - heals, buffs(specs and baseline), shears (remove buffs from other players), a pet, dots, disease

Casters - All hib casters, except the animist, get a 9 second baseline stun at level 45 or 50 (I forget). This is the sole reason hib casters are awesome and not to be underestimated.
Eldritch - long range bolts, nukes, AE mezz, single target stun, pbaoe, nearsight
Enchanter - pbaoe, nukes, pet class, not sure on mezz or stun
Mentalist - some heals, power regen, dots, hots
Animist - mushrooms everywhere

Melee
Hero - 1 hand + shield or 2 hand, heavy armor, can turn into a moose once every 10 minutes or so to deal additional damageget an instant boost of HP on top of their maximum HP.
Blademaster - dual wield light tank, doesn't always hit with both weapons and is considered the weakest of the 3 realms' dual wielding light tanks
Champion - heavy tank with debuffs, can go 1h + shield or 2h, very powerful and versatile class in the hands of a skilled player.
Vamp - not really sure but I know a well played one is extremely tough to killcheesemode class, good at everything, even gets charge. mythic has failed to properly nerf this class to where it needs to be in 6 years. probably will never get nerfed.
Valewalker - kind of a melee/caster hybrid that uses a badass 2h scythe and has some of the highest melee damage multipliers in the game. one of the most underrated classes in the game due to needing high skill play to pull off all the melee positionals and the class properly. also gets a baseline lifetap and disease.

Stealthers
Nightshade - stealh, poisons, dual wield, some instant damage/dot spells, most nightshades go high magic pierce and are stealth casters essentially.
Ranger - bow, dual wield, stealth, somewhat capable in both melee and range

The only thing I know about Maulers is that all 3 realms get them and I've never seen anyone play one they're most useful as a solo/1v1 class.

Some minor fixes and additions.

Mux fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 5, 2012

Voodoomunki
May 25, 2008
Welp, been a long time since I've played but this thread gave me the itch again. In as variants of Voodoomunki on Hib. Just hope my chars are still there.

Scorvi
Apr 4, 2009
Are any raids done in this game anymore?

Some of my favourite nostalgic memories of DAoC were the big raids; Legion, Caer Sidi (played alb mainly) and the dragons pre-nerfing. Also the ToA raids, but those were a pain mostly and the last time I played had been rendered virtually obsolete due to using bounty points to buy MLs.

Are those things basically pointless to do now because of bounty point items and artifacts/dragon gear or have the loot tables been updated at all to be competitive?

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Mux posted:

Cool, thanks. Still extremely limited on my hib knowledge

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

Scorvi posted:

Are any raids done in this game anymore?

Some of my favourite nostalgic memories of DAoC were the big raids; Legion, Caer Sidi (played alb mainly) and the dragons pre-nerfing. Also the ToA raids, but those were a pain mostly and the last time I played had been rendered virtually obsolete due to using bounty points to buy MLs.

Are those things basically pointless to do now because of bounty point items and artifacts/dragon gear or have the loot tables been updated at all to be competitive?

People still do the SI dungeons, but they were revamped a year ago or so. Now if they aren't camped by a group of chinese farmers, they are usually done with 2-3 people+bots. Almost everything in the game can be done with 2 people and bots these days.

If any of you are really nostalgic for that old school DAoC RvR feel, I highly recommend checking out Molvik (Level 35-39 BG).

Mux fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 5, 2012

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck

Mux posted:

To add to this list, Bards and Mentalists get casted demez.

It seems like most people are interested in playing casters. I've never really played caster groups in hib, but I think the general setup is usually bard, druid, druid, warden, and 4 casters. I used to always play either a light eld or light ment but I think with the current state of the server a bomb group would probably be good too (mana eld, mana chanter, arb animist, maybe even mana ment).

Pretty much any class aside from stealthers can work well in a group though.

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

Don't forget a BG tank in a caster group. It's actually quite important for 8v8. I prefer hybrid groups myself, though.

Ralconn
Aug 2, 2006

Well I resubbed and made a celt vampiir as I have never played that class before. Got to level 24 in about 2 hours and I now have xp turned off so I can gain some realm points. In game name is Ralc if anybody wants to get in on some thid action. Also my steam name is the same as my forums name.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008
Ive been trying various classes to get into this and I just cant it seems, combat feels really slow and "off" somehow.. or maybe im missing something ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

mfny posted:

Ive been trying various classes to get into this and I just cant it seems, combat feels really slow and "off" somehow.. or maybe im missing something ?

If you didn't play this game when it first came out, chances are really good that you won't enjoy it now. To be frank: the combat is dated and clunky and harkens back to an earlier time of Everquest where watching your character swing slowly at something was acceptable gameplay. Things have changed, and growing up with MMOs like WoW does make DAoC seem considerably more slow paced and dull.

• Locked thread