Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Vermain posted:

If you didn't play this game when it first came out, chances are really good that you won't enjoy it now. To be frank: the combat is dated and clunky and harkens back to an earlier time of Everquest where watching your character swing slowly at something was acceptable gameplay. Things have changed, and growing up with MMOs like WoW does make DAoC seem considerably more slow paced and dull.

Yeah for sure...a new player just picking up the game and coming from WoW or TOR or something, I would be very surprised if you enjoy it. I think for most of us the draw is just nostalgia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

"I WILL DEVOUR 100 GENERATIONS OF YOUR FAMILY!"
Responses inline:

Mux posted:

Casters - All hib casters, except the animist, get a 9 second baseline stun at level 45 or 50 (I forget). This is the sole reason hib casters are awesome and not to be underestimated.
The stun helps in some situations, but it's usually purged, your target is immune, or your target has Det 9 and it's pointless.
Enchanter - pbaoe, nukes, pet class, not sure on mezz or stun
They get baseline stun and a single-target root.
Mentalist - some heals, power regen, dots, hots, and single-target mez and demez.
Vamp - cheesemode class, good at everything, even gets charge. mythic has failed to properly nerf this class to where it needs to be in 6 years. probably will never get nerfed.
Er, what? Vamps can do well 1v1, but they lack range and can only bring single-target DPS to a group. Yes, they get charge, but that's really the only thing that makes them groupable. That, and they do more damage than blademasters.
Stealthers
Nightshade - stealh, poisons, dual wield, some instant damage/dot spells, most nightshades go high magic pierce and are stealth casters essentially.
People exaggerate the number of castershades out there. Plus, the real threat from a nightshade, just like the other two assasin classes, is when they get Viper 5, MoM whatever, and 10% resist piercing. People literally melt under assassin poison DPS.

Edit:

Vermain posted:

If you didn't play this game when it first came out, chances are really good that you won't enjoy it now. To be frank: the combat is dated and clunky and harkens back to an earlier time of Everquest where watching your character swing slowly at something was acceptable gameplay. Things have changed, and growing up with MMOs like WoW does make DAoC seem considerably more slow paced and dull.

I think that's only a symptom of dealing with lower level characters, which in any game will not be as interesting as higher level characters. The combat in DAoC is actually much more in-depth than most games once you get past the levels of "target X, swing until dead". Positional styles, reactional styles, and all kinds of goodies await.

ButtaKnife fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 6, 2012

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck

Mux posted:

Don't forget a BG tank in a caster group. It's actually quite important for 8v8. I prefer hybrid groups myself, though.

The warden is for BG/grapple/pbt/heals/etc. Extremely handy class in a caster group.

The bulk of my rps in hib were made playing bm in a group that ran bm, bm, vamp, (hero or champ), (eld or ment), druid, druid, bard. It was a pretty savage train as far as melee dps goes.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Combo posted:

Yeah for sure...a new player just picking up the game and coming from WoW or TOR or something, I would be very surprised if you enjoy it. I think for most of us the draw is just nostalgia.
Honestly, I started playing this game for the first time a year ago and still love it, although I don't have a lot of experience with other MMOs. I really disliked the first two characters that I tried in combat situations, though. The Nightshade was too position-oriented for me to get into it quickly, and the Ranger was just too weak and awkward.

When I tried a Hero, though... man, I love bashing things with my Hero. :black101: It's a much simpler class for a beginner.

AN ANGRY MOTHER
Jan 31, 2008
BLANK

Vermain posted:

I dunno dude, I've got celerity going and I'm hitting poo poo hard and fast. And I never played WoW, but I played Rift and it was just the same pressing 1 over and over.

Though I agree that the pvp seems a bit slower since you can't just port into a capture the flag game and play for 5 minutes with a bunch of random people. But that's also what owns about DAoC, pvp with a bigger purpose.

e: I dunno, the people who like this game are going to say it's the best and people who like other games better are going to say it isn't, but people should still give it a shot since they can get to the good stuff in a couple days, and we're more than willing to walk them through it.

AN ANGRY MOTHER fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Feb 6, 2012

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Are cave shamans any good these days? They never really used to be that good but so fun to play with the endurance chant and mass diseas/dots. I guess now pretty much everyone has access to unlimited endurance though?

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

concerned mom posted:

I guess now pretty much everyone has access to unlimited endurance though?

Incorrect. There are realm buffers now, where you buy a token and hand it back to them for full buffs, but you don't get endurance out of it (endurance regen has a range on it now). A played shaman is still pretty rare but they're needed for groups.

Cave shamans get shears, disease, and dots. They're very useful.

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

Combo posted:

Incorrect. There are realm buffers now, where you buy a token and hand it back to them for full buffs, but you don't get endurance out of it (endurance regen has a range on it now). A played shaman is still pretty rare but they're needed for groups.

Cave shamans get shears, disease, and dots. They're very useful.

Well, most people run with at least blue endo potions now. With Long Wind 1 and blue endo you can perma-sprint. Shammies are still common, though, for shears, disease, DoTs, and Ichor. Annoying little things, that's for sure. :)

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Started messing around with this again recently, will login some time this week for an invite. I actually posted on vnboards and someone from the Cult pm'd me, no idea it was a goon guild.

Have a 24 luri pierce champ and a 50 eld I haven't played since SI days. He might still be wearing old epic pieces.

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

Been having a bit of a daoc itch lately thinking about patching the game.

Only hibs I have are a druid and a vampiir, but I'm leaning toward making a warden. Those dudes any good now?

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

madpanda posted:

Started messing around with this again recently, will login some time this week for an invite. I actually posted on vnboards and someone from the Cult pm'd me, no idea it was a goon guild.

Have a 24 luri pierce champ and a 50 eld I haven't played since SI days. He might still be wearing old epic pieces.

At least it's not too bad to get caught up with (most) gear and MLs.

Beo posted:

Been having a bit of a daoc itch lately thinking about patching the game.

Only hibs I have are a druid and a vampiir, but I'm leaning toward making a warden. Those dudes any good now?

Yeah, as long as you don't expect them to do a lot of damage. They have tons of utility and can work well alongside a tank train or the druid(s) of a group. Plus, they get TWF, which is always good to have more of. :)

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
The best use of a warden in its current state is that of a caster Bodyguard (master level skill), red resistance buffs, 6 second pulsing bladeturn, and TWF/snares. I've seen some wardens run on the tank train, bodyguarding the MA (main assist), that's interesting.

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

Patched up and made myself a little warden named Beorce, I have to say there have been a lot of changes haha.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
So how does a castershade work exactly? I'm thinking about trying one since stealth tends to be solo-friendly.

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

boho posted:

So how does a castershade work exactly? I'm thinking about trying one since stealth tends to be solo-friendly.

They're pretty straight-forward. The magic (har har) is all in the template and RAs. Nightshade magic damage is based on Stealth as your skill and Dex as your casting stat, so people run with slightly higher Stealth and try to get Dex as high as possible. For a lurikeen that could even be up to 392 dex. Also, your template should include 10% resist piercing if possible for maximum damage potential. Finally, you'd spec in RAs like MoM and WP.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Can someone Fraps some general gameplay for us so I can get my fix without reinstalling please :kiddo:

Jessant
Jun 16, 2001

concerned mom posted:

Can someone Fraps some general gameplay for us so I can get my fix without reinstalling please :kiddo:

I tried yesterday but the grass and speedtree stuff flickers wildly making it unwatchable outside task dungeons. Video of someone soloing task dungeons will fix you of any desire to play DAOC again for several years however.

The new user experience quests abruptly ended at 35, Molvik (35-39) was ace both for levelling and pvp but then the mobs in Leirvik (40-44) are red/orange and the scouting missions are death sentences. I've been mixing up grinding at the Sheeroe Hills entrance for a small head start on dragon scales with task dungeons and frontier mobs. There are kill quests in Coruscating Mines now but there are also afk Bainshee farm bots during euro timezone hours.

edit: just leaving this here

quote:

•A series of repeatable quests have been added to the TOA zones which reward players with generous amounts of Atlantean Glass. The NPCs offering these quests can be found in the following locations:
•For players level 30 to 44:
Oceanus - Astoissi and Wicoessa in Oceanus Haven.
•For players level 40 to 50:
Mesothalassa - Sirina, Noula, and Mylia in Mesothalassa on the central island.
•For players level 45 to 50:
Stygia - Scout Relion (Albion), Hunter Relion (Midgard), Ranger Relion (Hibernia) in Stygia Haven and the Sphynx, Inarus.
Volcanus - Algmar and Sudari in Typhon's Reach.
Aerus - Captain Chryse in Aerus Haven and Eliana in the Green Glades.

Jessant fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 7, 2012

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I think what i'd be most interesting in coming back for would be to do the old PVE content I never managed to do. Like has anyone here really seen the very end of all nine SI dungeons? I bet you could get up to level required in a couple of weeks too.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

concerned mom posted:

You reminded me that I was going to post this video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mG_k83Yiy1A

Its a bunch of RvR fundamental stuff...keybinds, targetting, etc. made by an extremely good shaman from the server I used to play on.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

This game may "feel" old, but it's RvR and combat system is hands down the best an MMO has ever produced. (FOR ME)

I mean, I'll play an fps if I want KILLER ACTION. But, the rush of knowing YOU WON from daoc is something only a handful of men have experienced.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Maybe I'm really dumb but how on earth do I find my old characters and transfer them over? I can't seem to find out how to do it. Also is there a way to consolidate all my existed characters on to one single account?

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

concerned mom posted:

Maybe I'm really dumb but how on earth do I find my old characters and transfer them over? I can't seem to find out how to do it. Also is there a way to consolidate all my existed characters on to one single account?

At the server select window there's an option to switch to the archived servers. Go to the archived server where your characters were, log on to each of them, and type /freexfer Ywain# (1-10, whichever). Also FYI if you wanted to change one of your characters names, that would be the time to do it.

As for consolidating them onto one account, no.

Combo fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 8, 2012

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Thanks man, are the GOA accounts on here? I found my USA one, but my old GOA login doesn't seem to exist.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

concerned mom posted:

Thanks man, are the GOA accounts on here? I found my USA one, but my old GOA login doesn't seem to exist.

I don't know for sure about that part of it. GOA was the european servers right?

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Yep. Can't seem to find any of my old chars! Man this site is god awful, the subscription thing doesn't even work! I have to buy a game card so I don't even get 14 free days. It just says an error occurred.

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

I'd been trying to avoid it and focus on SWTOR, but seeing this thread lets me know it is time. Reactivating my main and bot accounts... Not sure if I want to roll an Enchanter to farm first or dive right into Eld, though. Everybody still having fun with the game?

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

concerned mom posted:

Yep. Can't seem to find any of my old chars! Man this site is god awful, the subscription thing doesn't even work! I have to buy a game card so I don't even get 14 free days. It just says an error occurred.

Yeah, the website is pretty much dog droppings. It could actually work if you keep trying. I've hit errors before and just had to refresh or retry to get it to go through.

tawal posted:

I'd been trying to avoid it and focus on SWTOR, but seeing this thread lets me know it is time. Reactivating my main and bot accounts... Not sure if I want to roll an Enchanter to farm first or dive right into Eld, though. Everybody still having fun with the game?

Lore and I are having fun with it, and it seems like many people who are hopping in are having a good time, at least for now. :)

By the way, anyone looking for a bard template might want to check out:
http://www.daoctemplates.net/viewTemplate.php?template=3607 - Pretty good, and not too expensive
(I'll add more as I find them.)

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

tawal posted:

Yeah this new thread got me too. So long as there servers going, Ill keep getting the RVR bug and come back for a round.

Since Im just going to be loving around solo, and its Hib (only realm I never got a 50 in), I think Ill just roll a NS. Whats a good way to level one, assuming I just grind these fancy new repeatable BG quests? Pierce/CD with some points thrown in Envenom for good measure?

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Would I be wrong to assume Animists are more for keep defense than anything else?

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

boho posted:

Would I be wrong to assume Animists are more for keep defense than anything else?
In the open field, using the bomber pets, they are very, very good.

Bishop01
Apr 27, 2007

Has you seen my bucket?!
I am basically playing this game for the first time and went from 1-50 in roughly two days grindings bgs in groups, the tutorial area does a very good job hand holding you and there are additional tutorials in every quest hub town(there is free teleports to and from each BG and to each new tier of leveling town)

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004
Back in the day when me and my friends were perfecting the Castershade, we would have many fun adventures that goons would appreciate. Due to the recent nerf however, I am not certain how viable this is anymore. DEX is king for Castershade, our templates would be kicking around 445 dex for maximum damage.

If we focused fired on one target, even if it was a tank, the person would drop under 5 seconds.

Having fun with pushing (or how to kill bots for fun and profit)!

4-5 Nightshades is minimum for this, but a full group is insane.
Everyone has to take Stormlord CL10 for ideal killing. The idea is to find likely places where people park their bots, usually in the CK (central keep) of keep to be close to the action if they died and got a rez (Bledmer Faste or Caer Benowyck). You sneak inside, kill all of the guards around the keep tower to the left or right of the CK, then move yourself down next to the wall of the CK (ground floor).

All at once, everyone drops their Energy Tempest (CL9 ability) using ground targetting, then all but one gets out of sight. The remaining person would use Focusing Winds (CL6) to push the storms inside the CK. It will take some time to get this down to perfection, but then you can groundtarget inside the CK and move them toward the middle of the room where most people park their bots. Once you start seeing damage spam, you know you are in the right place. Please note: If you are caught unstealthed during this time, you cannot restealth until you stop doing damage, or the storm runs its course or you Vanish.

Side benefit of this is that you just weakened one or more people out fighting in the field. Picking off unbuffed people as they head back to the keep is a double bonus.

These keeps might be really hot with activity, so moving the operation to a lesser used keep like Caer Boldiam or Glenlock Faste might be a better start for newer shades. An alternative to this is taking a tower by annoying anyone inside by placing storms right at the door to the second level. Most of the time, they would be unable to click on the door to get back in, and you just singled out a person for nuking.

Where here to help save the keep....oh god oh god why am I on fire!?!

My castershade crew used to purposely light keeps on fire to draw people to a keep for the purpose of singling out soloers to pop them when they are unaware. Caer Sursbrook was one of the main places where we would do this, due to it being the usual launching point for invading Alb. We would bring our crew in, kill the guards on the one side of the wall, drop down and kill everything in the courtyard. One of us had levelled up seigecraft that we would drop a ram on their inner CK door and knock it down to 75% health. At that point, the tower would flame on the realm map and alert Albs that someone was taking the keep.

Having a lookout is good to have on the outside to see what/who is coming. People would come inside into the courtyard to see what was going on, then pick and choose your targets and go to town.

If I get to the boat, I will be safe.../release

When things are hot and heavy in realm war, zergs are all over the place, there are the docks at Caer Renaris (our favorite place). People have this idea if they make it to the docks, they are safe, not so with our little band of cutthroats. We would allow them to purchase a ticket to summon a boat at the dock, then as they are casually going forward, unload our payload into their face. Fun times while you are nuking them from underwater when they have no clue what the hell happened. Added fun is when you place an Energy Tempest right over top of the Dockmaster...hard to turn in a ticket when you are taking damage.

DAoC was one of the best RvR experiences I had with MMOs. Popping out to the nearest bridge was fun and all, but just thinking of ways to add some spice to the game made it so much more fun.

Saveron_01 fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 8, 2012

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

tawal posted:

In the open field, using the bomber pets, they are very, very good.

The AE ones or the single-targets?

I'm glad it's so easy to level in this game -- there are several classes I want to try.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Do you still have to slog through the lovely Atlantis crap to rvr properly? I swear i left the game so fast in the dust when that expansion came out i still have burnmarks around my anus.

Jessant
Jun 16, 2001

Dongattack posted:

Do you still have to slog through the lovely Atlantis crap to rvr properly? I swear i left the game so fast in the dust when that expansion came out i still have burnmarks around my anus.

Nope, there are repeatable quests for an Atlantean Glass currency with which you can buy artifacts, encounter credits and master level credits. There is nearly always a level 50 group or two doing the quests who invite any class since they are easy and you share credit towards completing them. Its still a couple of days grind for full ML10 looking at the prices though.

Are there dragonslayers quests still? and if so where do they start? or is the dragonslayer armour on a merchant for scales now?

Jessant fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Feb 8, 2012

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

They're bought with scales, 150 scales per piece. You also have to be at least neutral with the dragon zone faction people.

If you go to the scale vendor in the capital city, the item you're looking for is on the last page (in Mid its called Draconic Essence I think). You buy it, take it to the faction town in the dragon zone and turn it into the dragonslayer guy there, which starts a quest that you immediately choose a piece and turn in to finish.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
Did they make any changes to the ML 10 gear? I assume that you still need to do those raids for the top tier gear at this point....I think it might be time to bring my Mini back from the deep... If anyone needs anything on Albion I should be on as Gnusong.

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

Twlight posted:

Did they make any changes to the ML 10 gear? I assume that you still need to do those raids for the top tier gear at this point....I think it might be time to bring my Mini back from the deep... If anyone needs anything on Albion I should be on as Gnusong.

There haven't been many changes to the ML10 gear, but it depends on when you last played. Noteworthy is that a few patches ago they nerfed Conflag/Illusions a bit so that the pet procs are a bit less deadly.

Also, the cool kids are playing Hib, so you should roll one! :)

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck

Twlight posted:

I think ML10 is the only thing you need to farm for gear. The gear stats might have improved at some point, I honestly never used much ML10 stuff. I do know that it's pretty common to template with it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

angry muppet posted:

I think ML10 is the only thing you need to farm for gear. The gear stats might have improved at some point, I honestly never used much ML10 stuff. I do know that it's pretty common to template with it though.

I played pretty recently around October is when I stopped, but I get the itch far too often to ignore it. I've got a 50 shade and I believe some casters or a bard on hib but I'm so well setup on alb :ohdear:

• Locked thread