Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beo
Oct 9, 2007

What are some of the decent solo classes on hib, back when I played everyone was playing vamps.

I just want to tool around the battlegrounds and hold my own in group and solo play.

Also dear god what did they do to archers they have a bunch of different shots now haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Twlight posted:

I played pretty recently around October is when I stopped, but I get the itch far too often to ignore it. I've got a 50 shade and I believe some casters or a bard on hib but I'm so well setup on alb :ohdear:

I never played anything other than a Mid character before last week. I still don't know my way around the capital city very well, and I've spent the majority of my time in battlegrounds, ToA, or frontiers (which is the same for all 3 realms obviously). I had to look at a map to figure out how to get to the dragon zone.

Its really not that bad, honestly.

edit:

Beo posted:

What are some of the decent solo classes on hib, back when I played everyone was playing vamps.

I just want to tool around the battlegrounds and hold my own in group and solo play.

Also dear god what did they do to archers they have a bunch of different shots now haha.

I rolled a warden on my bot account to eventually be a blockbot, and even with only 4 points in a weapon spec, I was soloing absolutely fine through the 15-19 BG (only died once, and that was to a minstrel while I had 2 other mobs on me). 20-24 BG solo is going to be terrible for anyone, as that's when groups start to gather up and there are a decent amount of people. You can probably solo easily through 25-29 and 30-34, and again 40-44 in BGs. 35-39 is a BG where a lot of people template a character and stay for a while, as well as 45-49.

Combo fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 8, 2012

Snaxxor
Jan 18, 2005

cool giraffe with
cool sunglasses
Maybe i'll throw $20 away and resub for a month.

I got a 50-Champ/Eld/Bard/Ench/Ward/Rang maybe one more.... and a buffbot i -might- do too.

AN ANGRY MOTHER
Jan 31, 2008
BLANK
So I hit 50 on my Warden this morning doing glass quests. Levels 47-50 only took about an hour or so while I was watching the news before work. It almost feels wrong.

So I noticed for the templates on VN that they are almost all for nurture/regrow wardens, and I prefer to melee. Is it possible to have a warden that hits decently well? Is there a difference between a warden with 50 in blunt and a hero with the same?

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I think if you're looking at doing more melee damage, I'd browse solo warden templates instead of group, as you can't really win a fight solo by healing someone to death. Regardless, I don't think you'll ever do top damage as a warden no matter how you spec one, but you should be able to outlast people.

Combo fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 8, 2012

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck

AN ANGRY MOTHER posted:

So I noticed for the templates on VN that they are almost all for nurture/regrow wardens, and I prefer to melee. Is it possible to have a warden that hits decently well? Is there a difference between a warden with 50 in blunt and a hero with the same?

HUGE difference. Even though you get to spec in blunts, wardens are on the naturalist damage tables. Heros, BMs are on the guardian damage tables.

As a warden, if you want to do melee damage you basically need to be spamming the essence flame Master Level ability. It attacks with essence damage which isn't a templateable resist type and can proc for huge damage.

If you want to be seeing huge hits in melee, roll a bm, hero, champ, or vamp.

AN ANGRY MOTHER
Jan 31, 2008
BLANK

angry muppet posted:

wardens are on the naturalist damage tables. Heros, BMs are on the guardian damage tables.

Ahh yeah, something like this was what I was wondering about.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Do other realms see your torch still?

Is there a utility or easy way to do qbinds?

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

"I WILL DEVOUR 100 GENERATIONS OF YOUR FAMILY!"

madpanda posted:

Do other realms see your torch still?

Yep, your character's face and torso are lit up if your torch is on.

madpanda posted:

Is there a utility or easy way to do qbinds?

Not really. You can use the /qbind command to see your current qbinds and then you can create new ones with /qbind <bar #> <slot #>. For example, you could bind an unused key to activate a spell on Bar 4 Slot 2 by typing /qbind 4 2, pressing Enter, and then pressing the appropriate key. (You probably already know how to do that, but maybe it'll help someone new to qbinds.)

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
OK, I finally got around to making a character. The name is Turnoff and I'm (trying) an Animist.

On another note, it's worrying to see that every other realm owns all their artifacts except Hibernia...

angry muppet
Dec 24, 2007

Most Noble Order of
the Radiant Duck

boho posted:

OK, I finally got around to making a character. The name is Turnoff and I'm (trying) an Animist.

On another note, it's worrying to see that every other realm owns all their artifacts except Hibernia...

Hibs have some relics. There is always lots of turnover. It's the name of the game.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
Ugh, the atrocious ground targeting system is making Animist decidedly unfun. I think I'll try something else.

EDIT: Made a Lurki Nightshade named Combopoints.

boho fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 9, 2012

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Best thing you can do is hotkey your ground target button so you can just hold it down and click where you want to drop shrooms.

Edit: Also, I re-upped an account today that is linked to my EA account, but no matter what I change the password to, the login thing always tells me the account/password are incorrect. This doesn't happen with my main account, just this old one. Anyone else come across this?

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

boho posted:

Ugh, the atrocious ground targeting system is making Animist decidedly unfun. I think I'll try something else.

Yup, that ground targeting system is so horrid that the moment I figured it out I deleted that character and rolled a vamp. That's really the only big issue I've had playing this game.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So uh, with no existing characters or any sort of support group how long would it take to level a character, from scratch, and be PvP viable?

PantlessBadger
May 7, 2008
It's actually easier to level solo these days. Do the tutorial zone until you hit 6 then start doing the BGs and running the PvE quests until you hit 45. Cathal Valley (45-50 BG) is pretty slow and at that point you're better off running the glass quests in ToA (just look for the clusters of people in the Havens) and by the time you hit 50 you should have enough glass to buy all your MLs. You can also keep doing it for cash/CLxp to hit Champ 10 and buy all the gear you need for a solid starter template.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

How long in gameplay hours to do this approx?

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Zotix posted:

So uh, with no existing characters or any sort of support group how long would it take to level a character, from scratch, and be PvP viable?

For me it took about 14 hours 1-50 + template, but I did have money available on Midgard that I traded over to hib, so that helped a lot. Its very easy though, there are a couple people in this thread that picked the game up with no prior background and are now 50 inside of a couple of days.

And this is gameplay hours...if I played 14 hours in one day I would probably kill myself, or my wife would kill me.

AN ANGRY MOTHER
Jan 31, 2008
BLANK

Zotix posted:

Play Hib, do a /who Cult, then /send whoever is there for a guild invite and you immediately have a support group.

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

SERPUS posted:

Edit: Also, I re-upped an account today that is linked to my EA account, but no matter what I change the password to, the login thing always tells me the account/password are incorrect. This doesn't happen with my main account, just this old one. Anyone else come across this?

I linked my old DAOC account to my EA account that I used for Warhammer and couldn't get in the account after I linked them. I had to call EA support, they didn't even list the game for the EA help website but I put in a request for support to call me anyhow. Sounds like the same issue I had or similar, try http://help.ea.com and choose Talk to a game advisor.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
Oh man alive I somehow got carried away and subbed two separate accounts for this month and still haven't found a single character on them other than some low level stuff. I emailed support and it seems my GOA accounts don't even exist (how the hell do I have this many accounts???)

If anyone would like a buffbot account for the month let me know at mattisaac @ gmail . com because I have a busy month and won't be playing a lot, especially at US times.

AN ANGRY MOTHER
Jan 31, 2008
BLANK

concerned mom posted:

Oh man alive I somehow got carried away and subbed two separate accounts for this month and still haven't found a single character on them other than some low level stuff. I emailed support and it seems my GOA accounts don't even exist (how the hell do I have this many accounts???)

If anyone would like a buffbot account for the month let me know at mattisaac @ gmail . com because I have a busy month and won't be playing a lot, especially at US times.

:( you can still play anyway, it's not like it takes long at all to get to 50 and since the servers are all merged anyway there should be plenty of EU players on.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

How hard is it to hold f5 and scroll? I always just made two groundtarget macros. One close to me, and one far away.

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

AN ANGRY MOTHER posted:

Play Hib, do a /who Cult, then /send whoever is there for a guild invite and you immediately have a support group.

With how addicting the game is once you're RvRing in the BGs or in the frontiers, I think we *need* a support group.

concerned mom posted:

It's weird that your GOA accounts can't be found. I imagine that they're there, but EA's support is pretty pathetic and they have no idea what they're doing. You should still join us, though! You'll hit 50 in no time.

Kazvall posted:

How hard is it to hold f5 and scroll? I always just made two groundtarget macros. One close to me, and one far away.

Classes that use groundtargets (animists, wardens for TWF, etc.) should definiteky keep some groundtarget macros handy for quick use. In fact, I really should have GT macros on my eldritch for casting Crystal Titans.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I used to pretty much only play mid, so what's a good duo combination to make? I'm guessing either a Druid or Warden (Mentalist?) for the buffing account and a er I dunno. I had a Runemaster, a Warrior and a Hunter on my old account so I've played pretty much everthing. I'm leaning towards a magic user this time round. What's fun to play?

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Kazvall posted:

It always takes a second or so of holding F5 to register I'm trying to ground target. And I'm new and have no clue how to make macros, let alone non-intuitive stuff like ground targeting.

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

concerned mom posted:

I used to pretty much only play mid, so what's a good duo combination to make? I'm guessing either a Druid or Warden (Mentalist?) for the buffing account and a er I dunno. I had a Runemaster, a Warrior and a Hunter on my old account so I've played pretty much everthing. I'm leaning towards a magic user this time round. What's fun to play?

I'm playing an eldritch and he already easily outdamages my runemaster who is 2 RRs ahead of him.

I leveled as void (like a destruction runemaster, bolt spec), but now I've switched to light at 50 (like a darkness runie, but with the added bonus of AE mez and single target stun, still get nearsight as well, but no pulsing blade turn). Its extremely fun.

Chanters are also supposed to be pretty good, and mentalist gets power regen.

For a bot, go with a druid since they get the spec buffs.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
What's the mentalist damage output like? I always thought it would be a bit bad as they have more utility.

Can you still solo hard content ridiculously easy with a focus enchanter?

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

I don't know about mentalist damage but someone here has one, just can't remember who.

As far as soloing things with a chanter, I think Waffle and his wife solo most everything with a focus pet chanter, mentalist (for power regen, hots) and a bard (heal proc). I think that's their farming group makeup anyway.

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

boho posted:

It always takes a second or so of holding F5 to register I'm trying to ground target. And I'm new and have no clue how to make macros, let alone non-intuitive stuff like ground targeting.

Type: /macro GT /groundset 2000

GT = the label for your macro when it's on your quickbar, 2000 = the distance in front of you to set the ground target - modify those as needed for your macros

concerned mom posted:

What's the mentalist damage output like? I always thought it would be a bit bad as they have more utility.

Can you still solo hard content ridiculously easy with a focus enchanter?

Mentalists and Eldritches both have insane utility, just in different ways. They both also can do nice damage. Light spec for Mentalists has a really nice heat DD and an AoE DD, plus charm spells. Mentalism spec gets a nice DD that has a PBAoE heal effect as a bonus, single-target mez, demez, and a heal.

Combo posted:

I don't know about mentalist damage but someone here has one, just can't remember who.

As far as soloing things with a chanter, I think Waffle and his wife solo most everything with a focus pet chanter, mentalist (for power regen, hots) and a bard (heal proc). I think that's their farming group makeup anyway.

When you have a level 50 enchanter with a fully-buffed pet and the highest focus shield, stuff just dies. It's also ridiculous when you toss in the bard with the highest level heal procs and a mana mentalist with the highest level Heal-over-Time spell. The HoT doesn't generate any aggro, so I just spam it on the enchanter pet to keep it alive. It's so broken. :D

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

ButtaKnife posted:

Type: /macro GT /groundset 2000

GT = the label for your macro when it's on your quickbar, 2000 = the distance in front of you to set the ground target - modify those as needed for your macros

Mentalists and Eldritches both have insane utility, just in different ways. They both also can do nice damage. Light spec for Mentalists has a really nice heat DD and an AoE DD, plus charm spells. Mentalism spec gets a nice DD that has a PBAoE heal effect as a bonus, single-target mez, demez, and a heal.

Thanks for the macro. I'll have to try Animist-ing again.

And thanks for the info on Mentalists. I'm curious enough about a Castershade to level a Nightshade, but "real" casters make the most sense to me.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

boho posted:

Thanks for the macro. I'll have to try Animist-ing again.

And thanks for the info on Mentalists. I'm curious enough about a Castershade to level a Nightshade, but "real" casters make the most sense to me.

I could have sworn they've made changes to the distance and damage of the shade DD's but I'm not 100% sure.

Edit: if anyone is playing on albion ( not cool kid hib ) I'm on right now and if you need cash/ml's etc i'd be happy to help.

Twlight fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 9, 2012

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

Twlight posted:

I could have sworn they've made changes to the distance and damage of the shade DD's but I'm not 100% sure.

They did nerf the Nightshade DDs by about 15% damage in the last patch, but they're still decent.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Twlight posted:

Edit: if anyone is playing on albion ( not cool kid hib ) I'm on right now and if you need cash/ml's etc i'd be happy to help.

Ugh. The lure of the Cabalist is great.

IIRC there were a ton of complaints about Theurgists back when I last played. Did they ever get nerfed or am I just remembering wrong?

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

boho posted:

Ugh. The lure of the Cabalist is great.

IIRC there were a ton of complaints about Theurgists back when I last played. Did they ever get nerfed or am I just remembering wrong?

They're still pretty redic, as are cab's.

the pets are great in RVR for interrupts as well as their abilities, chain stunning, rooting etc etc. Also they're great for group encounters as each pet acts as someone hitting the mob which makes epic mobs easier to take down.

I don't know enough about cabs but I'm sure they're still pretty good as well with aoe disease, DOT's etc, great utility.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

There are two cabby specs in my opinion. Matter for PVE and Spirit for RvR.

If you spec high enough into Spirit, you get a body debuff that stacks real nicely with your baseline lifetap. Also, cabby + sorc is one of the best duos in the game.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Kazvall posted:

There are two cabby specs in my opinion. Matter for PVE and Spirit for RvR.

If you spec high enough into Spirit, you get a body debuff that stacks real nicely with your baseline lifetap. Also, cabby + sorc is one of the best duos in the game.

That body debuff is deadly with sorc life taps. I * think * that also does well with an earth wiz but don't quote me I can't remember, which is pretty bad since I defiantly have a templated earth wiz.

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004

ButtaKnife posted:

They did nerf the Nightshade DDs by about 15% damage in the last patch, but they're still decent.

Dug this up from an old VNBoard post, I am Elvez (castershade, around RR4 or 5 at the time). That was not a crit, but take note of the side where it shows the resists of the target I was nuking.

http://i.imgur.com/E5WYB.png

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Saveron_01 posted:

Dug this up from an old VNBoard post, I am Elvez (castershade, around RR4 or 5 at the time). That was not a crit, but take note of the side where it shows the resists of the target I was nuking.

http://i.imgur.com/E5WYB.png

That poo poo is just game breaking, I wonder what damage table those DD's are on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

Twlight posted:

That poo poo is just game breaking, I wonder what damage table those DD's are on.
Fire Wizards! Those have been game-breaking for the entire year I've played. That's why a lot of Hibs stop RvRing when Alb gets power relics.

• Locked thread