Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Christoff posted:

Change your socks and hydrate

The best sick call corpsman

Also cold pack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinuyasha
Jun 16, 2009

Kaliber posted:

I use to be a fatty. I ballooned from 155 of being skinny/fat (i did nothing but cardio and ate like a pig) to 200 lbs because I stopped doing cardio and just the b/s army half rear end PT + Germany with my diet of beer/doners.

Went from army 22% body fat down to 12% body fat within 8months. Completely changed my eating habits, life style, and was lifting weights 6 days a week. Only problem was I was actually going all out during morning PT and lifted in the evening so I was burning more calories than I was able to put in. It was only during my 45 days of PCS leave I was able to put on 25 lbs to where I was at 175ish. But since coming to Hawaii I went back down to 150. Now I'm struggling to keep myself at 165. I have to eat so drat much it makes me want to puke to sustain this weight.

Oh and crossfit isn't too bad. You kinda have to be in shape but not really. If you can't do the weight for the WOD just go as light as possible and build up from there. I got no shame in doing the same weight as the girls for squats and stuff because I can't get my form right with heavier weight.

I'm still working on doing the lifts correctly. Just learned today that I had been doing an overhead press wrong the whole time, and I was doing sumo deadlifts instead a standard one. But that's what happens when you learn from broscientists. I was also doing squats wrong for a long time. It's amazing how useless most people are in the gym for giving good lifting advice. I'm going to purchase a copy of Starting Strength soon, because I've gotten tired of BS lifts and lifting routines.

Right now I'm just eating correctly and lifting. Calorie counting is nearly impossible at a dining hall, so it's hard to follow most diet plans. I tried milk + lactase pills, but the results have been a failure so far, so this past week was rough. Maybe the BX brand just sucks, cause I took two of those and still got destroyed. I probably negated most of this week's potential gains just from crapping out so many calories the past 4 days.

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
If you're having a tough time counting calories just download a calorie tracking app for your phone, some are free and actually pretty decent.

Pinuyasha
Jun 16, 2009

Triggs posted:

If you're having a tough time counting calories just download a calorie tracking app for your phone, some are free and actually pretty decent.

I'm having a hard time because they're not listed anywhere, not because I have nothing to track them with.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
If you take any supplements ever you're one of the dumbest retards in the world. I guess I'll do whatever a young new soldier thinks is right, that's probably the right thing to do for some reason.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
ya protein is for DUMBASSES

fish oil? more like youre a DUMB BITCH

multivitamins? did a PFC tell you to take those?

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
to be fair i'd have a hard time taking anything labeled "Jack3d" seriously

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

to be fair i'd have a hard time taking anything labeled "Jack3d" seriously

pretty sure it just wrecks your heart

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Supplements is a pretty broad term.

I think everyone should take fish oil, a multi, and protein at least post workout. Maybe before and in the morning. But not 100 grams per pound of bodyweight like some people.

Also I think everyone should take a vitamin-c extract and green tea extract but that's just me.

Oh and oxyelite. 8-10 a day.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Too much protein and not enough water has given me kidney stones previously actually, gotta take a LOT of water when working out and taking whey protein.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

And any supplement. Especially creatine.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
What's fish oil supposed to do? My gf's grandma gives her the stuff every time she sees her. At Christmas, she gave her two bottles of fish oil caplets, plus another bottle labled as Vitamin E that was clearly full of more fish oil caplets :ohdear:

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Well, vitamin E is also usually a liquid so it's gonna look a lot like fish oil.

I do a multivitamin, fish oil, postworkout protein, and I'll down a preworkout if I'm not feeling very energetic at 5am on a lifting day, which is usually every time. It's mostly just caffeine anyway.

E: oh yeah fish oil has a bunch of omega-3 fatty acids in it and they are precursors to/tenuously linked to stuff that's beneficial in a lot of ways, the wikipedia article goes waaay into detail if you're curious.

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 12, 2012

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

anne frank fanfic posted:

If you take any supplements ever you're one of the dumbest retards in the world. I guess I'll do whatever a young new soldier thinks is right, that's probably the right thing to do for some reason.

Proper supplementation is pretty important to any successful exercise regimen. poo poo like Jack3d or NOXPLODE, isn't necessary at all but it helps when you might not have the desire to lift. Same with cutting supplements and losing weight.

Funkameleon
Jan 27, 2009

Otto Skorzeny posted:

What's fish oil supposed to do? My gf's grandma gives her the stuff every time she sees her. At Christmas, she gave her two bottles of fish oil caplets, plus another bottle labled as Vitamin E that was clearly full of more fish oil caplets :ohdear:

For exercise/diet purposes
-control inflammation
-promote fat oxidation
-inhibit fat storage

and a bunch of other "general health" benefits. Unless you eat a lot of fatty fish its hard to get outside of supplements.

Its kind of like that acai berry nonsense except with actual research to back it up.

Pinuyasha
Jun 16, 2009

Rrail posted:

Too much protein and not enough water has given me kidney stones previously actually, gotta take a LOT of water when working out and taking whey protein.

It's only a problem when you have prior kidney damage. For everyone else who doesn't, it doesn't matter.

I keep it to the essentials:

Multivitamin (Has Zinc, which is also important)
Fish Oil (10g daily is the sweet spot I see recommended the most.)
Magnesium Citrate
Vitamin D3

Most of everything else is either junk, or you can just eat the right foods to get it. Zinc, Magnesium, Calcium, Vitamin D3, and Fish Oil are really the ones worth supplementing, since eating them is rather difficult for most people.

You'll find that if you don't eat like poo poo, and sleep enough, you won't need Jack3d and NOXPLODE to make you get off your rear end to go to the gym.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Look at all of these "retards" in here taking Multi-Vitamins. Ya'll must be feeling -pretty- stupid right now. :mmmsmug:

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pinuyasha posted:

It's only a problem when you have prior kidney damage. For everyone else who doesn't, it doesn't matter.

THE gently caress? Do I have prior kidney damage? My family is prone to kidney stones but the first one I ever got was here, when I started taking an increased amount of protein.

Pinuyasha
Jun 16, 2009

Rrail posted:

THE gently caress? Do I have prior kidney damage? My family is prone to kidney stones but the first one I ever got was here, when I started taking an increased amount of protein.

Your whole family might just have a genetic problem that gives you kidney stones, you included. If you've never had kidney damage before, I'd say get your genes checked out. You and your family just might need a diet more specifically tailored to combat that. Sounds like it is genetic, though, since your family has the problem and not just you.

Whey and Casein protein shouldn't cause problems with kidney stones if you have one of the risk factors anyway. Milk is pretty neutral on the pH scale and the individual proteins themselves are only slightly acidic. Some charts classify them as base, some as acidic, but either way they're close to 7, which shouldn't cause problems. Meat proteins are pretty acidic, though. I think their pH is around 3.5, which could be a problem if you have risk factors and are consuming a lot of it.

Pinuyasha fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 12, 2012

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pinuyasha posted:

Your whole family might just have a genetic problem that gives you kidney stones, you included. If you've never had kidney damage before, I'd say get your genes checked out. You and your family just might need a diet more specifically tailored to combat that. Sounds like it is genetic, though, since your family has the problem and not just you.

Whey and Casein protein shouldn't cause problems with kidney stones if you have one of the risk factors anyway. Milk is pretty neutral on the pH scale and the individual proteins themselves are only slightly acidic. Some charts classify them as base, some as acidic, but either way they're close to 7, which shouldn't cause problems. Meat proteins are pretty acidic, though. I think their pH is around 3.5, which could be a problem if you have risk factors and are consuming a lot of it.

I eat a ton of chicken but that's about it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Pinuyasha posted:

I'd love to see peer-reviewed source for that.

doogle
May 24, 2003

Rrail posted:

pretty sure it just wrecks your heart

Instead of using all these supplements that get banned 3 months after they come out, just use tried-and-true 'roids. Sure your balls shrink for a few months, but they usually recover.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Creatine is pretty damned safe, as long as its used properly just like with anything. Its probably one of the most researched supps out there.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
You all spent the entire thread talking about JACK3d, NOX PLODE, MUSCLE EXXXTREME, STEROIRDS, then when I point out how getting kidney stones at age 20 is probably bad and you shouldn't take supplements you immediately revert to OH I ONLY TAKE A VITAMIN. And these 50 other random things. And I only take musclemassExploder when i work out, 3-5 time per week. It's perfectly safe for some reason probably because I know a lot of 18 year old brand new soldiers taking it.

agentq
Dec 23, 2003
Frag out
I take C4-Extreme before lifting sometimes and it's fine. I tried Jack 3D a couple times but it makes me feel sick. Don't do cardio on either.

I take protein after lifting.

I take endurox after a tough or long cardio session (it works out to be cheaper per serving than buying a bottle of chocolate milk at the shopette).

I also take a multi vitamin and glucosamine chondroitin almost every day.

I take greens plus almost every day.

No issues here. Come to think of it, I take a lot of stuff.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

You all spent the entire thread talking about JACK3d, NOX PLODE, MUSCLE EXXXTREME, STEROIRDS, then when I point out how getting kidney stones at age 20 is probably bad and you shouldn't take supplements you immediately revert to OH I ONLY TAKE A VITAMIN.

If you take any supplements ever you're one of the dumbest retards in the world.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Ugh... In my unit the only time we do PT is Wed in the afternoons for a weekly crossfit WOD. Each team comes up with one a week and last week was my team's responsibility to do one. I was gone for dunker training all week so I wrote a quick one up. Really easy and it was

20 reps of Wall ball toss (20LBS or 14LBS), Blurpees, box jump (20 inch or 14 inch box) and a 100meter sprint.

Followed by 15, 10, 5 reps. Somehow he didn't feel like that was challenging enough without doing the WOD himself like we're suppose to, changes everything up to include dead lifts (recommended weight he wanted was 195) blurpees, box jumps, cleans and jerks, push presses (150 LBS) for 20 reps, 15, 10 and 5. A few guys managed to hurt themselves and it was a cluster gently caress and he blames it on me for not planning my work out on power point and that he had to come up with one on power point last minute to present it to first sgt. Even though we usually just write it on the white board and explain it to everyone. I don't know how he didn't understand what I wanted. It was an easy one.

So this week while I'm doing my SERE thing, he wanted me to do another one cause he has to redo the WOD. This one is super simple.

3 wall ball tosses, 2 blurpees. Repeat 30 times with a 20LB med ball for recommended sets. or 30 reps with a 14lb med ball. If you're just starting out 19 reps with a 14lb ball. Easy, no way to mess this up, should take 9 to 13 minutes. Let's see him screw up another one of my work outs.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
Ugh. I've really been lacking in motivation for maybe the past year and a half. Yeah I worked out and whatnot, but the intensity and desire for improvement just wasn't ever there. I wasn't depressed or anything, just complacent and doing the minimum necessary to get by - pass the APFT and not be a fatass.

Then last weekend and all through this past week I kind of had an epiphany. I guess it all started when I was observing the end of a makeup APFT and watched several soldiers in their early to mid 20s (the same age as myself) struggle, and in some cases fail, to complete a two mile run that wasn't even two miles long. Then I started to notice the rest of the world around me: people who are morbidly obese, people in their 30s and 40s who are on high blood pressure medication, people getting sick all of the time, people getting injured from normal day to day activities, people who struggle walking up a flight of stairs, and my former roommate who's gained probably 40 pounds since we graduated. There's a lot of these people in this country, apparently, and I realized that I never want to be one of them.

I've started running again. And not because I want to improve my 2 4 mile run time.

Pinuyasha
Jun 16, 2009

Godholio posted:

I'd love to see peer-reviewed source for that.

Lyle McDonald has already looked into this, with sources.

If high protein intake caused kidney stones, then we'd see a massive number of cases given how much meat is consumed in the average American diet. Not to mention the many bodybuilders and athletes out there who consume mass amounts of protein with no problems.

I've regularly consumed 200g or more daily for the past 1 1/2 years and I've had no ill effects. It's more bullshit vegans and vegetarians try to push to make their lovely diet sound better.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Pinuyasha posted:

Lyle McDonald has already looked into this, with sources.

If high protein intake caused kidney stones, then we'd see a massive number of cases given how much meat is consumed in the average American diet. Not to mention the many bodybuilders and athletes out there who consume mass amounts of protein with no problems.

I've regularly consumed 200g or more daily for the past 1 1/2 years and I've had no ill effects. It's more bullshit vegans and vegetarians try to push to make their lovely diet sound better.

My younger brother gets kidney stones all the time and doesn't eat any meat. On the other hand, all the meat eaters in the family are perfectly fine. My older brother and I both take protein supplements, too. :iiam:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

It's so hard to get the motivation to lift after 12 hour shifts.

They sell jack3d at the NEX?

No but really was Jack3d and oxyelite really banned for Military personnel? I never got an "official" email nor did we have some mandatory powerpoint training about it. I've just heard it word of mouth.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

old dog child posted:

My younger brother gets kidney stones all the time and doesn't eat any meat. On the other hand, all the meat eaters in the family are perfectly fine. My older brother and I both take protein supplements, too. :iiam:

I've been using protein (whey and casein) for six years now and I've never once gotten a kidney stone. :iiam:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Christoff posted:

It's so hard to get the motivation to lift after 12 hour shifts.

They sell jack3d at the NEX?

No but really was Jack3d and oxyelite really banned for Military personnel? I never got an "official" email nor did we have some mandatory powerpoint training about it. I've just heard it word of mouth.

In the Army, supplements are banned during training as of June of last year. AAFES removed it from its stock, but you can still buy it off-post. There's not an actual "ban" on it; they've just made it slightly harder to get.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
I just take a multivitamin and fish earl, lift 2-3 days a week and run another couple days a week. I'm in my mid-30's and usually score around a 240, which is fine for me. I have no illusions of being some kind of stud. I'm starting to get a belly though, probably from the obscene amount of beer I consume. I think I might need to enter a program to stop that though :(

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

You just need to party so hard one night that the resulting hangover slingshots you into a period of sobriety.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

psydude posted:

You just need to party so hard one night that the resulting hangover slingshots you into a period of sobriety.

That is now why I am officially nicotine free :3:

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

psydude posted:

I do this about once a month.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

old dog child posted:

That is now why I am officially nicotine free :3:

Speaking of which this is probably a good enough thread for this.

Last Wednesday I ended a three year pack a day habit. I went cold turkey and haven't cheated. It's going great except that I've felt kind of depressed the last few days. Any ex tobacco users experience that while quitting?

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

gleep glop posted:

Speaking of which this is probably a good enough thread for this.

Last Wednesday I ended a three year pack a day habit. I went cold turkey and haven't cheated. It's going great except that I've felt kind of depressed the last few days. Any ex tobacco users experience that while quitting?

My buddy is going through the exact same thing, but a five year habit. Depressed as poo poo. But he just keeps his mouth busy with chewing gum and works out daily, takes the edge off I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

My friend had success quitting by increasing the amount of time he spent at the gym each week so he could trick himself into more easily correlating not smoking to being healthier. This helped him keep up his motivation through the 3 week and 3 month marks.