Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Ah ok. I expected irritability and cold like symptoms didn't expect the mild depression. I've actually just recently gone on a health kick. I can no longer maintain the appearance of a 12 year old girl and gained a bit of fat. I just started crossfit with my brother, which made me realize how weak I've become, and stopped eating like a teenager. My god I've started falling apart at 22!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I find that I don't get depressed and/or miss that "stress relieving" smoke if I keep myself busy at all times. When I'm tired I snack on fruits and healthy things. My greatest enemy is boredom.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

old dog child posted:

My greatest enemy is boredom.
This is what makes quitting drinking a challenge. I have to find ways to entertain myself on weeknights other than sitting on the couch and watching TV.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah, I think the biggest thing is keeping yourself busy. They always say that when you stop smoking you gain weight (not only since nicotine suppresses your appetite) but because you have to keep your hands busy and just end up eating more than normal. Get some healthy snacks, gum (niotine gum if need be), and go workout.

For those relatively new to weight lifting and not those bullshit waste of time workouts your command makes you do I highly recommend "Starting Strenght," by Mark Rippetoe.

SA link here - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2509212

And I know a lot of you are trying to quit completely it's extra tough when you're in the Military and constantly surrounded by it. "hey, let's go check the weather." Because gently caress, smoking gives you a accumulative hour break by the end of the day. An excuse to dip from work. It's even worse when you're out drinking. Anyways, my e-cigarette fills that void. If I'm drunk and at a bar with friends I can't not go outside and socialize. Let's be honest most of us just smoke for the social aspect. So, if you just can't shake it. Look into an e-cigarette.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

psydude posted:

This is what makes quitting drinking a challenge. I have to find ways to entertain myself on weeknights other than sitting on the couch and watching TV.

Get a girlfriend? v:shobon:v Or a boyfriend, that's cool too man. :911:

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I replaced most of my copious late-night drinking with sleep. Yeah it's super old-man-ish but drat if I don't feel a whole lot better all the time.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

overdesigned posted:

I replaced most of my copious late-night drinking with sleep. Yeah it's super old-man-ish but drat if I don't feel a whole lot better all the time.

I think this is going to be my plan. I go to bed fairly early as is (lol old man) but I really do need to cut down on my beer consumption. I have drank at least 4 beers a night every night for as long as I can remember and usually 8-12 on Sat and Sun. Not good, and it's starting to show on my middle.

Anyone else have any tips for cutting back on drinking?

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I've noticed that having two beers roughly 2-3 nights during my week has helped me from drinking crazy amounts of booze during the weekend.

That, plus I get scheduled to work nights every god drat Friday, so after being up for 24 hours, the last thing I feel like doing for the rest of my weekend is drinking.

Oh, and am I the only gipper here that likes to bike?

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

MurderBot posted:

I have a nice road bike that I use every once in a while, but I do it less out of enjoyment and more for cardio when my legs feel too beat up to run. I bike maybe 20-30 miles tops at a time. I dunno, I get bored with it.

TheUnhorse
Oct 29, 2010

Smartest little intel sperg in the whole world
I dabbled in mountain biking, it's pretty fun but I hated the taint-beating I'd get on some trails.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

MurderBot posted:

Why do you hate your testicles?

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

TheUnhorse posted:

I dabbled in mountain biking, it's pretty fun but I hated the taint-beating I'd get on some trails.

Something something I'll bash your taint something.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

you guys can keep chugging that haterade on biking being painful. If you invest in a good pair of bike shorts "non wal-mart brand bullshit" then there should be virtually no pain whatsoever when you ride. It's a great way to beat the mundane cardio workout that is running.

Not that I don't enjoy running... poo poo I compete in triathlons, but there's something to be said about running 4 miles around the block, and then next week biking 100 miles up in the mountains of New Mexico on a sunny day...

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.
After numerous failed attempts I timed my final attempt to quit smoking to coincide with being so sick from strep throat that I couldn't smoke for three days. In the nearly four years since then my tobacco use has been limited to a few cigars and a hilariously failed attempt at a cigarette that made me realize I forgot how to smoke.

I'm surprised the cravings dropped off after a while to where I didn't have any while deployed. Hanging out by the smoking area of the bars was a weird experience too.

Also, it was soon after I stopped smoking that I started taking my N.O.XPLODE and becoming super HOOAH in the gym.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Maybe I should just get a scrip for anabolic steroids or HGH. How bad is a cycle of steroids for you, again?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I just remembered the secret to running: don't be a pussy.

Captain Payne
Sep 27, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Pinuyasha posted:

It's only a problem when you have prior kidney damage. For everyone else who doesn't, it doesn't matter.

I keep it to the essentials:

Multivitamin (Has Zinc, which is also important)
Fish Oil (10g daily is the sweet spot I see recommended the most.)
Magnesium Citrate
Vitamin D3

Is it possible to take 10g of fish oil a day without spending a ton of money?

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

psydude posted:

I just remembered the secret to running: don't be a pussy.

Sad part is, sometimes it really is just making yourself uncomfortable. I hate saying that since I've never really given thought to running and just turn off my brain (lol officers) and run. Unfortunatly I'm now dealing with a good soldier about to get put out because they suck at pt and have failed 2 in a row. He just can't push himself to just pass. He's not fat or injured in any way, he just can't push himself to the minimum, literally.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Captain Payne posted:

http://www.dpsnutrition.net/get_item_no340.htm

In fact I recommend https://www.dpsnutrition.net for all your supplement needs. Only problem is the interface sucks and sometimes you have to search for the supplement you want by clicking on the manufacture and such.

10g seems like a lot. I guess if you get the Super EPA that's only 5 pills throughout the day, though. It says to take 2 a day. The weird thing is the smaller bottle (120 gel caps) says take 2 twice a day.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Sad part is, sometimes it really is just making yourself uncomfortable. I hate saying that since I've never really given thought to running and just turn off my brain (lol officers) and run. Unfortunatly I'm now dealing with a good soldier about to get put out because they suck at pt and have failed 2 in a row. He just can't push himself to just pass. He's not fat or injured in any way, he just can't push himself to the minimum, literally.

I remember having mono during my freshman year of college. To give you an idea of how bad I had it, I lost 15 pounds in just a week and a half (the symptoms lasted about 2 months) and at one point had a fever so high that I actually hallucinated that I was a city. I was on profile, but the PMS was an insane, emotionless, terrifying robot (that's another story for another thread) and flat out told me that if I didn't pass the APFT, then tough poo poo, I was out. I could run about 1.5 miles (slowly) and then vomit uncontrollably before cramping up and having to walk. A week before the mandatory cutoff date for my scholarship, I managed to pass by about 5 seconds. It was the hardest thing I think I've ever done in my life: I still threw up about three times, but managed to keep running during it.

I think sometimes all it takes is a little tenacity. Unfortunately I'm not sure if you can instill that in someone.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

MurderBot posted:

I've noticed that having two beers roughly 2-3 nights during my week has helped me from drinking crazy amounts of booze during the weekend.

This but with 10-12

:smith:

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Rrail posted:

Maybe I should just get a scrip for anabolic steroids or HGH. How bad is a cycle of steroids for you, again?

Just test isn't really bad for you at all. Orals are much worse for you because your liver has to process them. If its just hormone therapy you don't have to worry about poo poo like PCT after a cycle because hormone therapy poo poo is basically for life

Honestly if I did a cycle of test I'd be more worried about properly injecting/having a good source/cleanliness than the actual testosterone itself. HGH I have no idea because its loving expensive and before made synthetically it was literally stolen from dead people

Pinuyasha
Jun 16, 2009

Captain Payne posted:

I order mine off Trueprotein.com/Truenutrition.com.

I get 1000 standard caps (1g each) for $23.27 not including shipping with the military discount code (It's MILITARY) and simple math shows it's good for 100 days. You could also buy the liquid kind, which is way more concentrated.

Many supplements just say a generic amount for dosage. Sometimes they're not always 100% surefire. Fish Oil is one of them. 10g is the highest amount to go with that. Beyond that, there's no point. 6g is the minimum for optimum effectiveness. Yohimbine HLC is another good example. Says to take 1-2 capsules daily, but at that low of an amount, it's pretty much useless.

doogle
May 24, 2003

moker posted:

I have no idea because its loving expensive and before made synthetically it was literally stolen from dead people

Some dudes contracted kuru from it as well! (mad cow disease but for people)

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
Think I have a small crack on one of my ribs from doing combatives last week, had to take a PT test for school this morning, passed it just fine, but it hurt like a son of a bitch, which supplement will help me roid out and not feel pain

edit: "roid" as in steroids, not hemorrhoids, tyvm

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

moker posted:

Just test isn't really bad for you at all. Orals are much worse for you because your liver has to process them. If its just hormone therapy you don't have to worry about poo poo like PCT after a cycle because hormone therapy poo poo is basically for life

Honestly if I did a cycle of test I'd be more worried about properly injecting/having a good source/cleanliness than the actual testosterone itself. HGH I have no idea because its loving expensive and before made synthetically it was literally stolen from dead people

My insurance pays for HGH if I can get it legitimately prescribed for a hormone deficiency. Don't know how I would go about doing that. That would loving own though.

We take a 5 panel drugtest that's looking for steroids and I think it finds them by looking for heightened testosterone, so I'm guessing I would have to get a scrip for that as well. Also I am a complete vagina about needles which is why those special injectors for HGH appealed to me so much.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Rrail posted:

My insurance pays for HGH if I can get it legitimately prescribed for a hormone deficiency. Don't know how I would go about doing that. That would loving own though.

We take a 5 panel drugtest that's looking for steroids and I think it finds them by looking for heightened testosterone, so I'm guessing I would have to get a scrip for that as well. Also I am a complete vagina about needles which is why those special injectors for HGH appealed to me so much.

Tell the doctor you have pitifully small testicles and you cry watching lifetime. If he asks to see punch him in the mouth. Then cry.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Testosterone can be dangerous if you don't cycle correctly. You get a lot of bad side effects from the use of testosterone, however many things such as shrunken testicles, and back acne can resolve on their own. However, bitch tits and severely increased hair growth can be permanent.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004
I can confirm that bodybuilding.com no longer ships Jack3d (or, per their disclaimer, no products with "Methylhexanamine" in them) to APO/FPO addresses.

Gee thanks, nevermind the fact that they're not banned in the Navy, just make everybody's decisions for them.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

MurderBot posted:

Testosterone can be dangerous if you don't cycle correctly. You get a lot of bad side effects from the use of testosterone, however many things such as shrunken testicles, and back acne can resolve on their own. However, bitch tits and severely increased hair growth can be permanent.

I wanna take test so my 90% beard will fill out :(

Pinuyasha
Jun 16, 2009
They should allow steroids/HGH in the military. Then they can stop bitching about PT problems so much.

The main risks of steroids even cycled properly is your muscles growing faster than your joints/connective tissue. Your muscles could handle more, but your joints/connective tissue take much longer than that for it the develop enough to handle that weight. Imagine the pain when you bench 400lbs but your tendons can only handle 150lbs.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

moker posted:

I wanna take test so my 90% beard will fill out :(

I wanna take test so my 30% beard will be something. :(

Pinuyasha posted:

They should allow steroids/HGH in the military. Then they can stop bitching about PT problems so much.

The main risks of steroids even cycled properly is your muscles growing faster than your joints/connective tissue. Your muscles could handle more, but your joints/connective tissue take much longer than that for it the develop enough to handle that weight. Imagine the pain when you bench 400lbs but your tendons can only handle 150lbs.

See I'm totally in it just for the vanity, I'm not some competitive weight lifter. I just want to look good.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Pinuyasha posted:

Is that why my knees hurt? I've moved my squat rep weight up 50 pounds in the past 2 weeks and started doing long runs again.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
Where is the pain in your knees?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

On the front near the top.

Pinuyasha
Jun 16, 2009

psydude posted:

Is that why my knees hurt? I've moved my squat rep weight up 50 pounds in the past 2 weeks and started doing long runs again.

Your knees probably hurt because you're doing the squats wrong and using your knees to lift it. It's not possible to go up in squat by 50lbs in 2 weeks unless you're doing it wrong. You probably are and should really look it up before you blow out a knee.

You won't have a problem with muscles outgrowing tendon/ligament rate without drugs. Or let's say you do a lot of isolation exercises that work certain tendons, but not others, then you do a compound lift that requires the use of tendons you never work out. Recipe for a tear. So is doing an exercise really wrong and stupid. Always look up proper form before you get macho and go heavy.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
What's the front near the bottom mean? More towards the interior side if that matters.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Pinuyasha posted:

Your knees probably hurt because you're doing the squats wrong and using your knees to lift it. It's not possible to go up in squat by 50lbs in 2 weeks unless you're doing it wrong. You probably are and should really look it up before you blow out a knee.

You won't have a problem with muscles outgrowing tendon/ligament rate without drugs. Or let's say you do a lot of isolation exercises that work certain tendons, but not others, then you do a compound lift that requires the use of tendons you never work out. Recipe for a tear. So is doing an exercise really wrong and stupid. Always look up proper form before you get macho and go heavy.

I'm familiar with proper squat technique. These aren't really gains, they're more like re-gains. I used to squat about 350, stopped for a while, and started back up again. It's a lot quicker to recover strength you've already had.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Godholio posted:

What's the front near the bottom mean? More towards the interior side if that matters.

How bad are we talking? Do you power lift or run upwards of 30 miles a week? Could be meniscus pain or even a tear.

If you're just a routine working out dude, you probably have something called medial plica syndrome. This'll occur when you start an exercise bout and then roughly 3-4 hours post workout it'll decrease. All you can do for it is just relax it. No real problems except the joint is inflamed, so vitamin motrin is your best best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Man Fancington
Jul 24, 2007

by T. Mascis

MurderBot posted:

vitamin motrin is your best best.

Research suggests that Motrin and acetaminophen inhibit protein synthesis in muscle after exercise. Basically it's going to cripple your potential gains.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11832356