Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Pesticide20 posted:

Congrats dude, that's pretty baller

Thanks. The Dutch guy in my heat ran Olympic time, which was amazing to see but it was rough getting smoked like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Down 7 lbs in the past month :toot:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

tastefully arranged labia posted:

Congrats dude. I'm doing about the same with my weight loss

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Red87 posted:

Jack3d is some badass stuff, but its getting a bit hard to find. AAFES pulled it and a bunch of other stuff (redline, OxyElite and mored) and refuses to sell it because the DoD is investigating a chemical in them (DMAA) that they think may have caused a couple soldiers to die. It was on the front page of Stars & Stripes last week. I have to get it through Amazon now

I use GAT (German American technology) for pre workout. The stuff with caffeine makes my ears tingle and burn, but I guess that is the vasodialators working I guess.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
Just got done with my first ever Brazilian jiujitsu session. Some guys on the ship have been doing it all deployment but I was doing another sport but that one has kind of died out. Anyhow, after an hour and half of getting pummeled where my only defense was to be a big strong guy I'm now going to limp the shower and hollywood the gently caress out of it. YEs I'm definitely going back.

Guys, stop wasting money on PWO and fat burners and whatever the gently caress. Drink a cup of coffee before you go workout if you want a boost or just take a straight caffeine pill. The rest of that stuff is pure garbage.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

Nice

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I'm getting back into Triathlons guys, I'll let you all know my progress to get down to 120 lbs at 5 ft 8

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

MurderBot posted:

I'm getting back into Triathlons guys, I'll let you all know my progress to get down to 120 lbs at 5 ft 8

you joke about this but my 5ft 7 brother went down to 140 lbs when he started to do marathons.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Jesus Christ. Here I am cutting on 4k cals to try and hit mid-240s so I only have to cut water a little bit to make the 110kg class.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Jesus Christ. Here I am cutting on 4k cals to try and hit mid-240s so I only have to cut water a little bit to make the 110kg class.

How tall are you?

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Six foot on a good day, little less if my spine feels particularly squishy or has a flashback to a 12 miler. I am not a small man. The cruel irony is that once you get beyond a certain size, (most) women find it more intimidating than overtly attractive and the majority of the positive attention you get for it comes from dudes both gay and straight.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
in the cruelest of ironies, curls don't get curls.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

ElMaligno posted:

you joke about this but my 5ft 7 brother went down to 140 lbs when he started to do marathons.

When I got into triathlons really competitively about 5 years ago I went from 170 to 160, but I dropped body fat to roughly 7%. My body type/genetics don't enjoy being below 155. The fastest 1 mile I ever ran was when I was 152, but my recovery and mood/affect resemble that of an 80 year old that wishes he would die.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Has anybody here done the Starting Strength program? I'm not getting tons of returns off the Cavefish routine anymore and I think it's time to move on.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

Has anybody here done the Starting Strength program? I'm not getting tons of returns off the Cavefish routine anymore and I think it's time to move on.

I was doing it for a while, its ok. I liked 5X5 more.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I just want to say that I'm seeing improvement with my physique finally and holy poo poo it makes me feel really good seeing definition in my chest and arms after way too long being a chubby fatbody. I've still got a bit of a waist, but I'm pretty happy with my body for the first time in a long time.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Also any recommendation for a bar and compact rack? I know Rogue Fitness is out there and they have really nice stuff but...:20bux::homebrew::20bux:

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Titan is pretty much off-brand Rogue from what I can tell. I haven't used any of their stuff personally, but they're a popular and cheaper alternative to Rogue.

http://www.garagegymreviews.com/titan-fitness-t-3-vs-rogue-fitness-r-3-power-rack-showdown/

There's a comparison between the Rogue R-3 and Titan T-3 racks.

That site also has a huge review of barbells so maybe that'll come in handy for you, too.

I can't wait until I have a spot for a home gym...

Aranan fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 8, 2017

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Thanks man. I can't wait to have a space too, but I'm making do in my 1BR. Since my wife lives separately for work I was able to push all the furniture out of the way.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

Do 5/3/1, no reason to move from a starter program to a starter program. Most of the info you need to start is in the first post of the 5/3/1 thread and if you have specific questions most likely you can google the answer, Wendler has a ton of articles on T-nation and on his blog talking about different variations of his program. Also Alfalfa has some new programming based off of 5/3/1 that looks interesting, should be on the last page or two of his log cabin thread.

Edit: Here is the link to Alfalfa's programming

Edit 2: I want to move so bad so I can have dedicated gym space. Leaving the house at 5AM when it's cold sucks dick.

bengy81 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Nov 8, 2017

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

5/3/1 is a bit intimidating because 1. I'm not lifting weights that heavy yet and 2. It's confusing to me. I'm going to read the books for both programs first to get a better idea.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

5/3/1 is a bit intimidating because 1. I'm not lifting weights that heavy yet and 2. It's confusing to me. I'm going to read the books for both programs first to get a better idea.

I don't lift what I consider to be heavy yet, but it has helped me get unstuck on a couple lifts.
Read the book it's quick and the first one is pretty cheap if that's a concern.
I will say that psychologically, it feels a lot better to hit PR's almost every week instead of failing sets and resetting.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I read about 1/4 of the 5/3/1 book tonight and it makes sense now. He's really clear about the exercise forms and setting up the program.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

5/3/1 is decent, but purposefully trying to hit the wall at warp speed for your top set every week gets super loving old for me. I can recover enough to squat and bench 2-3x a week while deadlifting once with a lighter variation (it's always Romanians), but I started to hate 5/3/1 after ~6mo. So far the Juggernaut program's progression is pretty cool, takes you from 10s to 3s over 16 weeks with 3 week blocks for each rep range and a deload week after. I like Chad Wesley Smith's approach to lifting, moving more towards hard science-based practically implemented training in the same theme as Chris Duffin at Kabuki Strength.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

5/3/1 is decent, but purposefully trying to hit the wall at warp speed for your top set every week gets super loving old for me. I can recover enough to squat and bench 2-3x a week while deadlifting once with a lighter variation (it's always Romanians), but I started to hate 5/3/1 after ~6mo. So far the Juggernaut program's progression is pretty cool, takes you from 10s to 3s over 16 weeks with 3 week blocks for each rep range and a deload week after. I like Chad Wesley Smith's approach to lifting, moving more towards hard science-based practically implemented training in the same theme as Chris Duffin at Kabuki Strength.

Are you doing an RP template or???
Link that poo poo bro!

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

bengy81 posted:

Are you doing an RP template or???
Link that poo poo bro!

I just took the principals from The Juggernaut Method 2.0 book and ran with them, slapped together my own spreadsheet to auto-populate numbers based on PRs and whatever given rep/set/%1RM scheme. Short version of my personal Frankenstein is like this:

5 days a week. One primary day for each competition lift (squat, bench, dead) done with whatever rep block you're in (10s, 8s, 5s, 3s) followed by ~3 assistance lifts selected to help just add more volume to that lift, specifically targeted to address a weak area within the range of motion for a comp lift, or to help strengthen an opposing muscle group. Low bar squats followed by belt squats, then Romanian deadlifts and leg curls. You take care of the money maker first, blow up your legs some more without beating your back up further, then balance out the moderate quadriceps bias of low bar and near-total bias of belt squats with the Romanians and leg curls. Same idea goes for bench and deadlift, you take care of your bottom bitch first because she's going to be your money maker and will give you back exponentially what you put in.

The idea of balancing agonist-antagonist muscle groups definitely isn't a new thing, but you don't really see most casual people deliberately balance a horizontal push (bench) with a horizontal pull (row), or other variations on that same theme.

The last 2 days are a little bit more up in the air, you could pare it down here depending on how much the primaries beat the poo poo out of you. Personally I use one day for more upper body assistance, a bench variation to hit a weak point and some other miscellaneous poo poo like that to touch up whatever's lagging. My second day I use for some squat and deadlift variations (fronts and deficits respectively) plus something like Bulgarian split squats or more belt squats, and something like kettlebell swings for hip extension with a bit of conditioning tagging along. Both "slack" days are going to use a bit less weight and usually like 2/3rds or 1/2 the sets of whatever you're using for your primaries, since 5 heavy days a week is a recipe for feeling like you're going to die around week 2 or 3.

While I would recommend most people pick a good program and follow it, given the writers are usually a whole fuckton more experienced and actually know what they're doing, you can still take the basic principles from me and apply them anywhere. Big compounds first, balance your work between opposite planes of motion and opposing muscle groups, use variations to not only fill out volume but also address specific deficiencies, don't neglect the small poo poo but also don't half-rear end your big priorities just so you can get to more "fun" poo poo. Success isn't achieved by dick-waving and trying to max out every week, it's built by working like a quiet angry bastard over weeks and months of deliberate toiling until you wake up one day and realize what seemed like nickel and dime bullshit snowballed into another 45 on each side.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

bengy81 posted:

Do 5/3/1, no reason to move from a starter program to a starter program. Most of the info you need to start is in the first post of the 5/3/1 thread and if you have specific questions most likely you can google the answer, Wendler has a ton of articles on T-nation and on his blog talking about different variations of his program. Also Alfalfa has some new programming based off of 5/3/1 that looks interesting, should be on the last page or two of his log cabin thread.

Edit: Here is the link to Alfalfa's programming

Edit 2: I want to move so bad so I can have dedicated gym space. Leaving the house at 5AM when it's cold sucks dick.

He absolutely should move to another beginner program if he can still exploit progressive overload. I honestly think Starting Strength is hands-down the best novice program out there and one should wring every ounce possible out of it.

Can you give me a quick primer on the methods/approach of the two guys you mentioned?

I'm a 5/3/1 guy but I am aware of its limitations. Right now I've started training jiujitsu and have quickly discovered that I can't keep up the 5/3/1 pace and roll 3x a week. Trying to find teh balance there, at least until my body gets more accustomed to those demands. Being in the over 40 club sucks sometimes.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Yeah I did my first session of Starting Strength yesterday. The book is excellent. Since I'm moving from lifting 4x a week to 3x it gives me more time for conditioning. So lift MWF and HIIT+vanity exercise (abs, curls) TTS. Sunday I rest like usual.

Home gym is starting to come together. I have some stuff coming this week. Currently using double stacked gym mats for placing weights down until I can source a stall mat. The cage I want is currently out of stock. Will post a photo once it's all done.

EBB fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 14, 2017

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

He absolutely should move to another beginner program if he can still exploit progressive overload. I honestly think Starting Strength is hands-down the best novice program out there and one should wring every ounce possible out of it.

Can you give me a quick primer on the methods/approach of the two guys you mentioned?

I'm a 5/3/1 guy but I am aware of its limitations. Right now I've started training jiujitsu and have quickly discovered that I can't keep up the 5/3/1 pace and roll 3x a week. Trying to find teh balance there, at least until my body gets more accustomed to those demands. Being in the over 40 club sucks sometimes.

C.W.S./Juggernaut 2.0: 4 week blocks at a given rep range (10s, 8s, 5s, 3s) increasing in intensity week 1-3 and a slight deload for week 4. The idea is to ramp up stress accumulation without overrunning your body's ability to adapt, just walking up to that line during 1-3 and backing off a little bit during week 4 to allow for full recovery. Going from relatively higher rep work for your compound movements (10s) all the way into the low rep range (3s) moves you through more muscle building (aka hypertrophic) into progressively teaching your body to utilize what it has more efficiently. Building a shitload of size is great and all, but you won't be able to use it as effectively if you aren't also working in those lower (heavier) ranges to build strength and coordination. You can implement this in a bunch of different ways depending on how many days a week you can squat, bench, deadlift, etc while still recovering.

Chris Duffin/Kabuki Strength: I know a lot less about the specifics of his/their training methodologies beyond the broad sense in that it's also a heavily science and evidence-based approach, since they focus on online coaching and individually-tailored programs. One interesting thing, though, is the use of velocity-based training since I've only seen that discussed in one other place by a guy named Borge Fagerli. The basic premise is you track the bar speed during a lift to directly measure and assess the point where maximal force production drops off. Bar slows down, you might be able to grind out another couple, but you're past the butter zone where your muscles are producing the most force in the shortest period aka the most neuromuscuar coordination where all those little bundles of fibers that eventually makes up a whole muscle group are firing as closely together as possible. One advantage is you're able to reach and stay in that zone for as long as possible without a bunch of extra systemic stress that, while it does make you get bigger and stronger, isn't giving you quite the same bang for your systemic stress buck.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Thinking of building this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dcn3KS6nOc

It's a smaller version of the usual DIY 8x8

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I have lost my mind and am building the platform. Cut it down to 4 2/4 pieces for easier stacking. Stain is drying now.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Starting Strength trip report: Week 3 halfway over and I'm definitely progressing more than on Cavefish. The reps are low but with the increasing weight I still feel challenged every time on that last set. Weight is still dropping but I'm seeing more lean mass replacing the fat.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
your body doesnt really trans-subtantiate muscle for fat. youre just losing weight because youre eating at a deficit, intentionally or not, and the muscle mass you have is being revealed.

you can kind of see the same thing in body builders if you look at pictures of them bulked up and then after they cut. its some weird optical illusion.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I did the modified starting strength and it was really good and my introduction to weight lifting

I ate whatever I wanted, did little cardio, and gained a ton of muscle and lost a ton of fat in the process. It shouldn't just be seen as some bulking/power lifting routine where you just turn into a fat

but yeah lmk if you have any questions. I had a lot of success and progress with it. I'm not the biggest dude but at my peak I was doing 3x5 of 275lbs squats ATG baby and 2x6-8 weighted pull ups with about 60 lbs? Felt pretty beast

Anyways stick to it, eat everything, and try to get an ideal amount of sleep as much as possible. Really focus on form, never sacrifice it in any capacity, and don't be ashamed to reset any amount. If you get really into it you might want to invest in a 1.25 lb plates or chains

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Holy poo poo guys, I put in like 10 lbs of muscle while on deployment. I basically didn't weigh myself at all while deployed but my clothes are the same fit if not looser. I'm actually in pants starting to fit weird territory because the thighs after definitely tighter but the waist is looser. I honestly didn't think I'd be able to put in muscle like that my advanced age (41).

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

So...question on 5x5. Today's session of SS bench press I went for 5 instead of 3 since I have a lot of gas left after 3 and can still do the exercise with good form. What's the real difference between the programs? Does 5x5 give more hypertrophy/less strength by virtue of the increased volume? The pump after 5 vs 3 feels good.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

First off, pump doesn't mean poo poo. Remember that you're increasing the weight every time you lift. Having some left in the tank is a good thing. I think the cumulative effects of 5x5 probably leads to slower progress down the road as the weights get tougher.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

yeah yeah sticking to the program

Working my way up from the bottom. 150 squat/dead, 120 bench today for working sets.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

yeah yeah sticking to the program

Working my way up from the bottom. 150 squat/dead, 120 bench today for working sets.

Don’t throw out your logs or delete them or whatever. I found an old log from like 3 years ago and was looking through it, and even though I’m nowhere near where I want to be, I’ve come along way since then.

Its mind blowing when you realize your warm up set weights used to be training maxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Overhead press failed at 95 on working sets today. 4 reps first set, 3 on the second.