Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm going to Ireland in April and I've gained 5 pounds due to my post-broken toe inactivity and incessant drinking, so count me in on the challenge for this month. I've been drinking like a fish recently, but coming down on PCS orders has made life a lot more bearable.

I'll even try to go to that gym thing.

But all bets are off in April. I'm going to the St. James Gate brewery and just gonna stick my mouth under a tap, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Maybe we can combine this drinking challenge with a lifting gains challenge, or maybe that can be separate. I just like competition man.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I have an APFT in a month and a half so I'm not really focusing on strength gains. But if you wish to start such a challenge and use this thread, then by all means, go for it.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Oh thanks for your permission bro also really liking your winner attitude

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

So here's what I'm thinking for the rules:

We're allowed one (1) beer per weekend night each week (so Friday and Saturday). Otherwise no drinking whatsoever. Challenge will run from 2/24 to 3/24.

The penalty, if you fail, will be to do a power hour with Smirnoff Ice complete with live trip report throughout to be followed by an accompanying video starting at the 50 minute mark. And this is a real power hour - none of that six beer bullshit, we're filling those shot glasses to the brim.

And if you've never done a power hour with Smirnoff Ice, let me assure you that it is anything but a pleasant experience.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm in.

Mister Man
Nov 22, 2006

IWHBYD...
This is better then ADAPT, count me in.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yeah, I'm in.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
I'm telling you man, give me a week. I'm flying back home after 9 months as early as tomorrow night. I gotta survive welcome back parties and my friends all wanting to hang out and there's no way I can be some sort of viceless monk for all that.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The Casualty posted:

I'm telling you man, give me a week. I'm flying back home after 9 months as early as tomorrow night. I gotta survive welcome back parties and my friends all wanting to hang out and there's no way I can be some sort of viceless monk for all that.

You can start a week late, that's fine. Get it out of your system and start your month next friday.

e: For everyone else doing it (or who still wants to do it), we'll start today and will check in every Sunday. Obviously we'll be using the honor system, but everyone on this forum drunkposts all the time anyway, so we'll probably find out one way or another. We'll use this thread since this is kind of a catch-all health thread, and not drinking is healthy (or so I'm told).

The challengers thus far:

No Butt Stuff
Rrail
psydude
Hell Diver
Mister Man
Christoff
The Casualty (starting next week)

Anyone else?

psydude fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 24, 2012

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Considering I ended up on the livingroom floor somehow last night I'm in. However, when I drive south to visit family/friends I can't guarantee I won't have a bar night out. Maybe I'll just DD.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 24, 2012

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Mister Man posted:

The Planet Fitness in my home town had "Pizza Nights" every week after they opened.

Yeah I went and checked it out after work yesterday and it sucked in there. It's cheap yeah but they had literally zero free weights, a couple smith machines, and their dumbbells only go up to 60. It was packed with fat old ladies walking on the thousands of treadmills and there was free candy at the front desk.

Guess I'll keep looking.

e: gently caress you guys, more beer for me

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 24, 2012

Brenwolf
Oct 24, 2005

I quite enjoy Tom Peepery.
Just one beer, eh?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

This lines up perfectly, since a month from today I go to PEC for two weeks and I plan on spending it fishing and drinking. That poor handle of Maker's Mark in my freezer is going to miss me.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

are we using this thread or we gonna have an official one so I can complain about my withdrawls

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'll make an official one in just a moment unless Psydude wants to instead

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Christoff posted:

are we using this thread or we gonna have an official one so I can complain about my withdrawls

I'll throw one up.

e: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3468595

psydude fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 24, 2012

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Did the APFT yesterday, hosed it up pretty bad. Passed the run by 3 seconds. I hate running, time to start liking it.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

PT test in March drill, can't wait. :woop:

Pinuyasha
Jun 16, 2009
Does anyone know where you can get a list of banned supplements in the military? I've been trying forever to find something, but I've come up with nothing. I'm curious on the legality of synephrine and a few other things.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Chances are if you think it's banned you probably shouldn't be taking it.

Starting Brazilian Jiu Jitsu again soon and Muay Thai most likely. I'm a bit intimidated to go to my first Muay Thai class though. I'm a terrible boxer and kick like a girl.

Pinuyasha
Jun 16, 2009

Christoff posted:

Chances are if you think it's banned you probably shouldn't be taking it.

Starting Brazilian Jiu Jitsu again soon and Muay Thai most likely. I'm a bit intimidated to go to my first Muay Thai class though. I'm a terrible boxer and kick like a girl.

People made a fit over Geranium Stem and that ended up being nothing but BS. I got worried over nothing when I was using Jack3d a year ago and that whole scare went around. I'd rather have facts than speculation.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Christoff posted:

No but really was Jack3d and oxyelite really banned for Military personnel? I never got an "official" email nor did we have some mandatory powerpoint training about it. I've just heard it word of mouth.

psydude posted:

In the Army, supplements are banned during training as of June of last year. AAFES removed it from its stock, but you can still buy it off-post. There's not an actual "ban" on it; they've just made it slightly harder to get.

buttplug posted:

I can confirm that bodybuilding.com no longer ships Jack3d (or, per their disclaimer, no products with "Methylhexanamine" in them) to APO/FPO addresses.

Gee thanks, nevermind the fact that they're not banned in the Navy, just make everybody's decisions for them.

Pinuyasha
Jun 16, 2009
They still sell Jack3d on base at USAFA and tons of my classmates are using the stuff. Even the NCAA guys who actually are banned from using it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Pinuyasha posted:

They still sell Jack3d on base at USAFA and tons of my classmates are using the stuff. Even the NCAA guys who actually are banned from using it.

If the AF hasn't banned it yet, they will soon. The only way the NCAA guys would get caught is if they were using it prior to/during a competition. Otherwise, it doesn't stay in your system long enough to get caught my the routine drug tests that are done at your physical.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Rrail posted:

Dude his bicep looks absolutely disgusting.

That's Danny DeVito.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

psydude posted:

If the AF hasn't banned it yet, they will soon. The only way the NCAA guys would get caught is if they were using it prior to/during a competition. Otherwise, it doesn't stay in your system long enough to get caught my the routine drug tests that are done at your physical.

According to the Dietician I talked to from the HAWC a few weeks ago here on Eglin AFB, the DoD as a whole hasn't banned it, but rather put some kind of "hold" on it until further research is completed. She also told me that the Air Force cannot administratively punish you for taking it. Dunno if that's still true, but that's what I was told.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Gotcha. Yeah, the Army hasn't outright banned it for use by soldiers, but it IS banned for use during training.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

So basically if I go to Ft. Sill this summer for some classes, I am hosed with using any useful supplements? Are there any decent alternatives for something like Jack3d that would be similar in results but allowed by the Army?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

You could just not use it for two weeks . . . I mean, your body isn't going to shrivel up and die because you didn't take a pre-workout supplement.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

That's what I would do if it weren't going to be three months. I picked dates that would fit it into one long, long summer, so I my college academics wouldn't be interrupted. It's three AFATDS classes and a Bradley FST class. Basically 12 weeks straight of total bullshit sweet, sweet BAH. I mean I've worked out without supplements for years; whey protein has been a staple since the beginning of time, but I only started using other stuff fairly recently. It'd be nice to be able to use something. Otherwise, eating as much protein as possible will be my only option. Vitamins, too, I guess.

Or what about that crazy stupid caffeine thing from W&W? ;) Seriously that sounds dumb as hell what's up with this?

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 29, 2012

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

You're only banned from using in the field or during PT. The memo we got was kind of vague, but those were the two things specifically mentioned.

e: I stopped taking workout advice from W&W when I was laughed at for suggesting that cardio was a method for losing weight. ECA stacks seem like a great way to pass out, though, if you're into that sort of thing.

psydude fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 29, 2012

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

psydude posted:

You're only banned from using in the field or during PT. The memo we got was kind of vague, but those were the two things specifically mentioned.

e: I stopped taking workout advice from W&W when I was laughed at for suggesting that cardio was a method for losing weight. ECA stacks seem like a great way to pass out, though, if you're into that sort of thing.
Yeah I changed my diet and ran every day over the summer. Cut my 1.5 mile time by over 2 minutes (I ran a sub-10 at my peak), managed to run 5 miles in a single session a couple times (you infantry types may scoff but that's further than some sailors run in a year :v:), and lost 20 lbs. I credit a lot of that to a strict diet, but they can't tell me running had little or no effect on that.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The military not having a centralized list of banned or prohibited substances is absolutely retarded. How hard would it be for the AF to put up a "List of things you can't take or possess" on af.mil? Instead you are forced to try to get your leadership to determine if something like Efedra is against the rules despite being legal.

kathmandu
Jul 11, 2004

Rrail posted:

The military not having a centralized list of banned or prohibited substances is absolutely retarded. How hard would it be for the AF to put up a "List of things you can't take or possess" on af.mil? Instead you are forced to try to get your leadership to determine if something like Efedra is against the rules despite being legal.

This happens for the same reason 90% of the retarded poo poo happens-- leadership is so terrorized by the chain of "accountability" that they're afraid to make a coherent, rational decision for fear of missing something and being held accountable. So, they defer any actual decision making and keep policies deliberately vague and overcomplicated.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

I been trying out alot of different things for PT now that I don't have to do the standard army PT and everything is on my own now.

I did heavy lifting for about a year. I was up to 180 pounds with a waist of 30inches and 42 inch shoulders and a 15 1/2 inch neck. I was able to do about 80 push ups chest to ground and all the way up in about a minute and a half, so I never really tried to push it pass that once I maxed it and 80 sit ups in the 2 minute mark to max that. My run time was horrible though. I was doing about a 15:50 to 16:20 for my 2 miles.

Decided that was really horrible because the army not about brute strength and all about endurance and stamina.... I had no endurance always finishing with horrible times for the weekly unit cross fit stuff, so I dropped about 30 pounds within 2 months with a diet change, lighter weights and cross fit twice a week. Still don't run at all, but because of crossfit I'm now up to 160ish (it goes up and down about 10 pounds depending on if I'm taking supplements IE protein, creatine, and etc) but my push ups and sit ups are still maxed out, my max bench is about 50 pounds lighter now, I'm alot more lean and ripped, and my cardio is amazing. I shaved off about 2 minutes off my run time for my last assessment PT test and I wasn't really even trying and my 4 mile run time was at around 32 minutes... Which isn't too bad considering I haven't run over 2 miles in about 2 years now.

I just tried yoga today. Mainly because I'm trying to get into the pants of an E6 from the 2 shop and she invited me along when I asked her if she wanted to go on a run with me today. gently caress that poo poo. It's hard. Though some of the girls in there were sexy as hell. And I spent 2 hours staring at the Marine's rear end and camel toe

With ALC coming up next week I'm thinking about bulking up hardcore again. It's not like I'm going to have anything to do while I'm there and there's really no need for cardio... My chain of command told me that under no circumstance was I allowed to go to ranger school (ALC in Benning had a memo saying they can get you slots and will pay for it, but because of how long the school is and chances of me getting hurt/recycled, the unit can't afford to lose me for 3-6months because of all the missions I'm slotted for.)

Kaliber fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 29, 2012

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
I take yoga at my community college. It's hard at first but I felt absolutely incredible after every session. And holy poo poo, the women. The women. :allears:

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Verrrry interesting.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The Casualty posted:

I take yoga at my community college. It's hard at first but I felt absolutely incredible after every session. And holy poo poo, the women. The women. :allears:

Best part is that it's community college so they're about twice as easy to score as regular college chicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

psydude posted:

Best part is that it's community college so they're about twice as easy to score as regular college chicks.
It's true. And they're obviously quite flexible. All it really takes to approach any hot yoga girl is to already be relatively athletic and coordinated, so that you don't come off as some creeper that is only there to stare at crotches. Needless to say I'm going back this fall.

Meeting cute girls was awesome, but the best thing ever though was this one girl, she didn't have the best figure, but for the first month she always wore a loose top with no sports bra and her tits would pop out at least once a week.