Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
an even better way would be to sign up for a beginning swim class at a local college or get some individual instruction from a friend or pro. learn you some technique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

That's a pretty good idea. To be honest, I'm embarrassed and mad at myself. It's a gruelling plan but I've built skill and confidence in everything except swimming.

I think I will take some classes.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

elite_garbage_man posted:

an even better way would be to sign up for a beginning swim class at a local college or get some individual instruction from a friend or pro. learn you some technique.

In '01 before I enlisted in the Navy I thought Navy=Swimming a bunch and I was a doggy paddler at best
The GF at the time was a former triathlon bunny and basically taught me how to swim "right".
I went from piss poor to being able to do like 50 laps in a few weeks of swimming almost every day
I learned that poor technique makes swimming super exhausting and as soon as I got it down things improved drastically
Then I went to RTC and swam like twice
The end.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
yeah I had the habit of trying to muscle everything. Super exhausting. Once you learn good technique and how to relax in the water while you work, things become much easier. That said, I still suck rear end at anything besides a freestyle or back stroke. Never quite got the hang of the breast stroke (INSERT TIT JOKES HERE) and the butterfly.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah don't waste all this time with poo poo form, you're only doing yourself a huge disservice in the long run. Find some classes, local YMCA, whatever. Don't get me wrong swimming is extremely exhausting as is, but it helps to be efficient

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Is there a trick to treading water with a brick?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Frosted Flake posted:

Is there a trick to treading water with a brick?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2ndUjEddR8

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
B 145x5x4
R 135x5x5
Sq 185x5x5

- - - - - -

FSq 205x3x3
P 75x5x7
DL 275x5

- - - - - -

B - 145x5x4
R -135x5x5
dumbell bench
cable row

been working out in the evenings usually now, got dumped so got plenty of time again lol

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
What's up single in time for v day buddy :hf:

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
nm just using this time I would've been hanging out with my gf at the gym on saturday morning

F Squat - 205x5,1, 2
Press - 85x5x5
DL - 295x5

this was a great workout, tho can't wait to hit some major plate milestones in the next few months as my life crumbles around me

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Dingleberry posted:

In '01 before I enlisted in the Navy I thought Navy=Swimming a bunch and I was a doggy paddler at best
The GF at the time was a former triathlon bunny and basically taught me how to swim "right".
I went from piss poor to being able to do like 50 laps in a few weeks of swimming almost every day
I learned that poor technique makes swimming super exhausting and as soon as I got it down things improved drastically
Then I went to RTC and swam like twice
The end.

How long day do you spend thinking about breathing?

I'll take my answer during solar death.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
Fasted LISS cardio every day plus at least a 500 calorie deficit makes for some lovely workouts. Strength drops by 5-10%, volume plummets like a brick, recovery capacity during workouts is some hot salty garbage.

On the plus side I've dropped about 15-20lbs in the last month and a half or so, I've rediscovered how terrible it is to have zipper abs (as faint as they are unflexed), my jawline isn't just implied anymore, and I somehow look bigger.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Kawasaki Nun posted:

How long day do you spend thinking about breathing?

I'll take my answer during solar death.

I just got the rhythm down of blowing out the air every other stroke with face in water, iirc... I think the idea was to get the cardio to the point where you breath evenly and inhale every few strokes on the crawl.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Dingleberry posted:

I just got the rhythm down of blowing out the air every other stroke with face in water, iirc... I think the idea was to get the cardio to the point where you breath evenly and inhale every few strokes on the crawl.

Every other stroke is fine, depending on level of fitness as you mentioned, a lot of long distance swimmers will breathe every 3rd-4th stoke depending on intensity.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

drat ran for the first time in like two years almost a week ago. Three miles? I'm still loving sore as hell. Calves especially.

I'm not in terrible shape just don't like running

But hey non-forced running is kind of enjoyable..? :shrug:

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
repped out 135 on ohp today got 9 easy which is better than where I was before hockey season started.

did some other strength poo poo and stretched. felt pretty good.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

elite_garbage_man posted:

repped out 135 on ohp today got 9 easy which is better than where I was before hockey season started.

did some other strength poo poo and stretched. felt pretty good.

hitting easy reps of 135 on ohp is a dream of mine

- - -

FSquat - 205x5,2,2,1 and then 135x5x3 bc volume
P-95x5x4
DL - 315x5 yeeeeee

231 pounds

edit instead of bumping dead gay thread:

Squat 205x5x5

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 21, 2017

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
FSquat - 185x3x3
P-95x5x5
DL - 325x5
Chin-up - 2
Dip - 5x2

226 pounds

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Front squat kills me, you guys are really showing me up on that one.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Front squat kills me, you guys are really showing me up on that one.

Is it a problem with the front rack itself or just not enough lower body mobility to sink it? There's a ton of poo poo you can use to attack any weak points from multiple angles.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Is it a problem with the front rack itself or just not enough lower body mobility to sink it? There's a ton of poo poo you can use to attack any weak points from multiple angles.

I can't get the bar to balance horizontally. I've seen people bend their arm over itself to have the hands and shoulders in contact, but I have to cross my arms over my chest and stick my elbows up and it's wobbly.

The other issue, as you said is that once my pelvis is around knee height I have a hard time rising up from there.

It seems like a good workout but I'm doing an embarrassingly low amount of weight compared to my regular squats.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Frosted Flake posted:

I can't get the bar to balance horizontally. I've seen people bend their arm over itself to have the hands and shoulders in contact, but I have to cross my arms over my chest and stick my elbows up and it's wobbly.

The other issue, as you said is that once my pelvis is around knee height I have a hard time rising up from there.

It seems like a good workout but I'm doing an embarrassingly low amount of weight compared to my regular squats.

My front squat 1RM is 110 pounds lower than my back squat and everybody I know has a similar ratio so maybe yours isn't too adnormal? I do go a lot lower with fronts though and I only use two fingers per hand to hold the bar.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

So the basic idea with the front rack position is to have the bar resting entirely on your anterior (front) delts, just shy of choking you in a not-happy-fun-times kind of way, with your fingers literally only there to lend some stability and aid in keeping your elbows up. The mobility required for this comes from your forearms, triceps, and to a certain extent your lats and just general shoulder mobility itself. CalStrength has a playlist here for a bunch of stretches aimed at weightlifters, who by default require stupid amounts of flexibility as well as very high competence with the front squat itself, as it's an integral part of the clean and carries over to the snatch and jerk as well. Here's a little bit on differentiating specific hip mobility from more nonspecific quad, hamstring, glute, and hip flexor mobility along with a beginning point for how to correct it. Generally most people are going to lose power out of the hole from a combination of buttwink paired with basic things like improper stance width and foot or torso angle, plus front squats are crazy quad dominant so when you're bottomed out the hamstrings can't even begin to do work until almost half the movement is already done.

As far as low/high bar to front squat weight goes, unless you're using sport-specific training like for weightlifting or you're just a monster, you're going to be using significantly less weight when you put that bar on your front delts.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
My favorite drill for front squats is to do a set or two "zombie" style, i.e. hands-free with your arms straight out in front of you. You'll learn where to rack it on your shoulders pretty fast and get your elbows high. Will probably also be a good trainer for your upright balance. I can do a set or two at work weight usually, but it will point out any flaws in the arch of your back or your "rack" pretty fast.

Only reason my Front Squat is high proportional to my squat is because I've only been in a routine like I dunno a month at this point. It's already against the wall, but I should be able to wring a little more out of my back squat in a few more weeks. A 200 lb differential would be totally normal if you were back squatting 405 or something

---
Faptain's Log:
B - 155x5x3, 95xburnout to 20

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I'll try it out. Thanks!

I also signed up for adult swimming lessons, and got funding approved for a road bike. Should be a busy week.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

biking is totes fun just sayin...

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I've never ridden with traffic before and my city is notorious for cyclists getting smoked, despite having a good number of bike lanes. My general idea is to get into cycling on the bike paths and side streets and only make the move to streets when I'm good.

Between swimming and cycling I'm starting to feel like I missed the boat when I was a kid.

The plus side is that I've cut 5% bodyfat, so the exercise and nutrition are coming together.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
my nutrition still sucks, but beer: 230

F Squat - 185x3x5
P - 95x5x4, 65 to 20
DL - 225x10 double overhand

It was like 9 so I got the gently caress out of there. No real progress made on my stats, but finally able to start getting some volume with heavy weights which is good and I bet if I start working out in the morning again, I'll start really killing it but gently caress all that well that's my story

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

How are you measuring your progress? If you keep strength training your weight might stay around the same while your bodyfat goes down.

bug chaser chaser
Dec 11, 2006

Does anybody have any suggestions for mobility workouts? I'm looking for a 15-30 minute routine that I can do in the morning - is that a thing or should I be looking into yoga?

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
^ been thinking about getting into yoga again myself for the same reasons, but I love the agile 8, and once you memorize it it's really quick and good for warmup if your gym has a foam roller. I'm sure longer routines are out there.

Frosted Flake posted:

How are you measuring your progress? If you keep strength training your weight might stay around the same while your bodyfat goes down.

By the mirror. Stats are just what I'm posting here weight lifted weight lost. The lifting is already doing good things for my posture, but let's be real, I'm 6 feet tall and tubby as all hell at 230 lbs. I know it's my diet, should lay off the beer etc.

edit: hell, why not e/n a little. Part of me getting back into fitness was my shrink weighing me and pointing out that weight gain is a side effect of a drug I'm on. Whoops. It fucks with my appetite and makes me just want to mow down sugar non-stop (don't usually have a sweet-tooth) and I hadn't even noticed until I gained however much weight, especially when combined with going through a couple of pretty bad breakdowns where I have a hard time cooking and shopping, so getting my diet back into a good routine of vegetables, fats and complex carbs and a little protein is my next step and I'll be back at fighting weight in a few months. Always comes easier once the exercise routine is in place, cause you need good fuel for the machine hail satan

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 1, 2017

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

You should consider eating more than a little protein if your goals are to get stronger, lose weight, and look better.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Agreed. Half of fitness is nutrition, especially if you're measuring by the mirror. Cardio, caloric reduction and a protein heavy diet will change your looks and you'll still be building strength with the weights.

Besides all the bro science about macros, protein makes you feel full which is a big deal if you're struggling with that.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

You should also eat more than a little protein if your goals are to gain weight.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
ok I'll eat more protein. The bean of the week is garbanzo.

Squat - 225x3x5
Row - 155x5x3
Dumbbell Bench 45x5x5
Cable Row 10x3

TheAlphaChaser
May 12, 2013
I would put nutrition closer to 90% with working out 10% in strict terms of losing fat (closer to 50%/50% when it comes to sculpting and bulking, and nothing will happen if you're not sleeping properly). Calorie counting and cardio will get you nowhere but will have the positive side effect of making you miserable with some mixed studies actually showing mild cardio having a net negative effect on heart health. It's far more effective making small incremental common-sense changes. The two biggest things you can do to quickly not be a fat body are don't eat anything with added sugar and cut out processed carbs. But if you full balls to the wall with that you will almost be gurenteed to fail. loving everything has sugar in it.

Small incremental changes might look like: don't drink any calories, only drink water, black coffee, and plain tea. After incorporating that as a habit and a part of your identity (maybe a month), remove all processed carbs from your breakfast and eat a spinach scramble every morning. After you actually feel good cracking an egg rather than pouring a bowl of cereal make another change like dropping French fries, and so on and so on. Sounds kind of hoky but the real power is in building long term positive habits rather than "dieting."

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

TheAlphaChaser posted:

I would put nutrition closer to 90% with working out 10% in strict terms of losing fat (closer to 50%/50% when it comes to sculpting and bulking, and nothing will happen if you're not sleeping properly). Calorie counting and cardio will get you nowhere but will have the positive side effect of making you miserable with some mixed studies actually showing mild cardio having a net negative effect on heart health. It's far more effective making small incremental common-sense changes. The two biggest things you can do to quickly not be a fat body are don't eat anything with added sugar and cut out processed carbs. But if you full balls to the wall with that you will almost be gurenteed to fail. loving everything has sugar in it.

Small incremental changes might look like: don't drink any calories, only drink water, black coffee, and plain tea. After incorporating that as a habit and a part of your identity (maybe a month), remove all processed carbs from your breakfast and eat a spinach scramble every morning. After you actually feel good cracking an egg rather than pouring a bowl of cereal make another change like dropping French fries, and so on and so on. Sounds kind of hoky but the real power is in building long term positive habits rather than "dieting."

This is really great advice. It takes a long time to build new habits. Incrementalism works. Tim Ferris is kind of a boob but there is some merit to his "slow carb" diet. It is not exactly incremental (it's full on no added sugar) but it does include one day a week that is pretty much "eat what you want." This helps you suck to the diet because you have that to look forward to and helps keep your body from going into starvation mode in response to the drop in calorie intake from restricting sugar consumption.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
yes but literally none of this addresses the simple fact that fatness is a moral failing and that I should be ashamed to be in public until I've lost 20 pounds or so

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
F Squat - 205x5x2, 95 burnout to 20
Press - 95x5x5, 65 to 20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

DownByTheWooter posted:

yes but literally none of this addresses the simple fact that fatness is a moral failing and that I should be ashamed to be in public until I've lost 20 pounds or so

Comedy Option: EC Stack or whatever the latest flavour of Hydroxycut is, probably Pro Clinical Hardcore Premium.

Basically though it will have to be that incremental stuff. Luckily beach season is a long time away and those slow changes add up!