Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

psydude posted:

I can't do morning gym. I've tried to force myself over the years and have really just found that my motivation is never there.

I hate getting up too but for me working out in the morning is the only option. Try taking a pre-workout supplement to boost your energy. I take 2 scoops of BSN Hyper-FX each morning before walking to the gym or else I won't make it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
Yeah my face gets really itchy when I take stuff like that. I don't really sweat it but it's definitely annoying the first time it happens.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

psydude posted:

A few people have talked about cutting back on drinking. I realize this will be about as popular as banning Affliction shirts from the PX, but is there any interest in doing a GiP month long sobriety challenge?

I'm down but give me a week or two to binge first.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
I'm telling you man, give me a week. I'm flying back home after 9 months as early as tomorrow night. I gotta survive welcome back parties and my friends all wanting to hang out and there's no way I can be some sort of viceless monk for all that.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

psydude posted:

You're only banned from using in the field or during PT. The memo we got was kind of vague, but those were the two things specifically mentioned.

e: I stopped taking workout advice from W&W when I was laughed at for suggesting that cardio was a method for losing weight. ECA stacks seem like a great way to pass out, though, if you're into that sort of thing.
Yeah I changed my diet and ran every day over the summer. Cut my 1.5 mile time by over 2 minutes (I ran a sub-10 at my peak), managed to run 5 miles in a single session a couple times (you infantry types may scoff but that's further than some sailors run in a year :v:), and lost 20 lbs. I credit a lot of that to a strict diet, but they can't tell me running had little or no effect on that.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
I take yoga at my community college. It's hard at first but I felt absolutely incredible after every session. And holy poo poo, the women. The women. :allears:

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

psydude posted:

Best part is that it's community college so they're about twice as easy to score as regular college chicks.
It's true. And they're obviously quite flexible. All it really takes to approach any hot yoga girl is to already be relatively athletic and coordinated, so that you don't come off as some creeper that is only there to stare at crotches. Needless to say I'm going back this fall.

Meeting cute girls was awesome, but the best thing ever though was this one girl, she didn't have the best figure, but for the first month she always wore a loose top with no sports bra and her tits would pop out at least once a week.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Defleshed posted:

I say we have a GiP outing to The Casualty's community college yoga class.
Now now, gentlemen. There's enough community colleges to go around, I promise.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

MurderBot posted:

I think I'm going to go to Casualties Community College and just watch him do yoga :allears:
I do Fish Pose in class just to weird people out sometimes. That's the one where I lie flat on my back and then curl my head completely back so that I'm resting on my butt and the top of my head. Bonus points if I don't stabilize on my elbows.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
If I have 45 days before a vacation and want to shed what's left of my belly fat, should I do half of a P90X cycle? P45X? I'm strong and I can run a few miles without dying, I just have a stubborn paunch and I'd rather not be self-conscious about my gut when I go to some European beach.

Typically routine is to lift for around an hour and then do cardio for 20 minutes, or 2 miles of I'm running that day. I do that 5 days a week. I don't really keep track of individual lifts in a log but I typically do 3 sets of 12 at 65% of max, 3 sets of 10 at 75% or 3 sets of 8 at 85% and increase the weight a little bit every week. It's not very scientific but it seems to work well.

I can definitely work on my diet some. I'm stuck on a base without easy access to groceries, but in spite of that I stick to mostly veggies, gluten free carbs or whole grains, and white meats or vegetable proteins. I also consume probably 50 grams of protein from shakes, whey after work outs and casein before bed. I know for sure that I'm under-metabolizing right now because I've been out of food in the room for a week (getting ready to move) so I'm only eating 2-3 meals a day instead of my normal 6, and I feel hungry a lot. Considering that those meals I do have haven't really changed in size (except i double a portion of vegetables now) but I'm actually working out considerably more per day now that I'm on hold (2 or 3 hours), I doubt I'm over-eating. My calorie budget is 2480, assuming 5 solid workouts per week, and I have a good idea of how much I'm taking in (not nearly that much unfortunately, not with my snacks gone). I'll fix that this month once I move.

For the record I'm 6'1", 197 lbs. And what I'm doing right now is having a small impact, but I'm willing to look at shaking things up a bit.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Rrail posted:

Just do HIIT dude, you will lose it.
Care to give me an example? What do you like to do?

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Rrail posted:

I've only ever done the sprinting method but I'm going to start the Tabata method in a month or so apparently. I think the Tabata Method is preferable though: 20 seconds of front squats, 10 seconds of rest, rinse and repeat for 8 cycles (4 minutes). If you aren't throwing up or near to it you are doing it wrong.
That doesn't sound hard at all :downs:
But seriously I'll give that a shot.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
Hey Rrail not to derail your painkiller addiction chat or anything, but should I do that HIIT workout at the end of my normal workout in place of cardio? Or should I do my normal routine and tack that on to it?

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Rrail posted:

When you do HIIT you need to really be at full aerobic capacity. If you absolutely must do it on the same day you lift, do it at the end of your work out. Don't do it the same day you do cardio, you won't be able to do sprints at 170% vo2 max (or if you're doing Tabata, you won't have the energy to do a full 8 cycles at max repetition rate). From what I have researched on Tabata, you still want to be aiming at about 8-10 reps in that 20 second cycle, so you need to find the weight that allows for that with front squats.

I forget whether you're still in the military or not (I am so bad about this) but if you're not gently caress cardio all together, it is a waste if you ask me.

Just mentally prepare yourself for how much HIIT is going to suck, because it is. Of the first 3 times I did HIIT sprints, I vomited twice. You will also be ravenously hungry afterwards, try to resist that. HIIT puts your body into a fat burning mode (I can't remember the name for this) for the next 24ish hours.
I'm a reservist and also one of those retards that actually enjoys running.

So I'm doing these front squats with weight? You make it sound like I should but I was envisioning just doing as many as possible without weight.

The Casualty fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 3, 2012

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
Just got back from the gym. Did legs and core for 90 minutes and then tried an 8 cycle (:20 work and :10 rest) HIIT session on the rower. I thought about doing front squats but decided against it since, as I said, it's my leg day and I was doing 4 sets of those anyways.

The HIIT was great. I don't know if it's a credit to my conditioning, but I feel like I could have gone 10 or even 12 cycles before reaching the breaking point. I was going balls out and my legs felt like they were going to detonate and embed bone fragments in my face, but I wasn't nauseous or extremely winded. I could barely walk after I was done though.

Tomorrow I'll try the squats if my legs aren't completely cramped into pretzels.

Edit: Ugh Rrail you weren't kidding. So god drat hungry aaaaaaugh

The Casualty fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 3, 2012

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
Hey Rrail, when your rear end gets off probation, don't forget to send me those links. I needs to Push It To The Limit (limiiiiit)

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

My Spirit Otter posted:

Check you PMs
Hey you're not Rrail... How did you know :tinfoil:

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Rrail posted:

Illuminati.
Thanks for the links. I'm gonna try thrusters tomorrow. People in the gym won't know what the gently caress, lol

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Phrost posted:

Thrusters rule, just make sure you've got the form down before you go balls-out with them.

Fran is such a bitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVBgKB4Gnsw
:stare:
I can hardly do 7 pull ups for one set if I'm fresh, I can't even fathom that routine.

How heavy are those weights? Back when I played football our weight room had yellow 25lb. plates and black 45lb. plates I think (it's been a long time). I just remember they were all the same diameter as a standard 45lb. plate.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

psydude posted:

Are you thinking of bounce plates? Those all have the same diameter and are used for cleans and deadlifts.
Yes. We used them for all our traditional lifts.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
Felt like poo poo at the gym today. I think I should have made this a rest day. Did back for an hour, ended up trying 4 sets of thrusters at 75 and 95lbs to get the form right. All in all I just felt gassed too badly at the end of every single set today. I left after about an hour and tried jumping rope but quit after 8 minutes.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Going vegan was probably the best diet related decision I've ever made in my life. My weight is lower than it was in high school. I thought.it might make me feel run down or not be able to run as well, but we took an APFT yesterday and I improved by 20 points (265). I probably would have done better if it hadn't been so cold, my feet were numb all the way through the run. On top of that, I have crazy amounts of energy, my recovery time from workouts has decreased to almost nothing and I don't feel loving old anymore. The key is not just veganism, but adopting a whole-foods, plant based diet. Vegan junk food is still junk food. I'm tweaking my workout slightly, but if I could come off of leave and take three weeks and get my best APFT ever, I'm hoping with a month of solid diet and training under my belt I can add another 20 points.

If you're still skeptical but have an open mind, I highly recommend "The China Study" by Dr. T. Colin Campbell. It is probably the most comprehensively written book on nutrition I've ever read, and quite mind-blowing. I was skeptical too, but I think I might be a believer. Semper Plants.

I don't think I'll ever be able to give up meat or dairy or eggs (well, egg whites) but I do try to live as gluten-free and vegetable-heavy as possible and the overall change in how I feel is rather remarkable compared to my days of eating fast food or meat + starch with every meal. Granted its been rather easy to get used to. Half my family is vegetarian and I always had well-prepared and varied veggies on my plate growing up. Some of my friends are straight up disgusted by anything green. I pity them while I smash my soybean quinoa medley and roasted asparagus.

I just like steak, sushi, and cheese too drat much to forego them. Granted I eat those in strict moderation, but a world without treats like that is a world I do t want to live in.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I don't know about eggs, but dairy is probably the worst. Once I gave up dairy I started slimming down dramatically. Also, in "The China Study" milk proteim was what dr. campbell used tp give rats cancer. funnily enough, he had actually set out to prove the opposite (that milk protein was good for you). Then he discovered that the group of rats given the high doses of milk protein invariably gave the rats cancer. It's a seriously mind-blowing book.
I only eat cottage cheese with any regularity. I sub it on salad instead of dressing here on base because the dressings they provide all have high fructose corn syrup and loads of saturated fat.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
So I tried the tabata sprints today and Jesus gently caress I want to die. This is the first time that the HIIT stuff has really pushed me to the brink. I'll be doing these sprints more often now.

Also something strange happened at the gym today. I was doing squats @ 205lbs and after my second set I got a bad headache and felt dull pain behind my ears. The pain went away after a minute but I had a bit of a headache for the next hour of my workout. Did I pull a muscle or something? I'm not sore now but maybe I'll feel it tomorrow. I normally don't feel anything like this during squats since my form is really good and I don't overdo the weight.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Phrost posted:

Sounds like hypertension/high blood pressure. Are you holding your breath during your squats or eating a ton of salt?
Nope. I may have held my breath for a beat right at the transition from down to up but I exhaled all the way up. My diet is pretty good and my blood pressure checked fine just a couple weeks ago.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

MurderBot posted:

Dehydration can be a common factor with individuals who get headaches while they work out.

I've also heard a few docs say that they've had people who pressed on a nerve in their back when they do squats, which can result in a headache. Did this happen with any of your other exercises? If not, might just be bar position on your back hitting a nerve.
I'd wager on bar position. The bar felt like it was in the usual spot, about even with my shoulder blades. The pain was noticeable but not bad on my 3rd set, and bad enough I had to sit down for a fee minutes after the 4th. Nothing else affected me or even really made my headache worse. Now that I'm out of bed and moving around the back of my neck right at the base of my skull is sore.

All I drink during the week is water so hydration hasn't been an issue lately. There wasn't anything out of the ordinary with my pre-game piss.

The Casualty fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 9, 2012

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

smertrioslol posted:

We're gonna go spot each other in the gym. I can't wait for squat day.

Speaking of, leg day in the desert sucks. Being dehydrated most of the time, and than being on your feet for 10+ hours. Anyone have any tips on how to avoid horrible debilitating soreness after leg day?
Stretch, stretch, stretch. Stretch your whole lower body before and after working out, and before bed. The next day, stretch again and do a few sprints to work out the lactic acid. On my leg days I can barely walk down the stairs to leave the gym on some days, but I do tons of leg stretches and I'm rarely too sore to work out the next day.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

psydude posted:

Yeah seriously. Where do you think all 1500 of the calories from that pizza are going? Your muscles?
The cheese and grease lubricate his muscles and allow them to operate more efficiently :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Anybody that wastes money on expensive earphones for the gym is a retard. I burn through at least three pairs a year.
The big trend here is to wear the over-ear Beats to the gym. I don't know how people do it. They're loving huge and like $180 or something outrageous.