Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I read somewhere that that the sweetspot for the average person on weight in a ruck for fitness is 35 lbs. Obviously, most of us here have rucked way more than that, but the point is above that you start factoring in long term damage to your back for doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Endbuster posted:

I've seen supply room chicks able to hump more weight than me on a march.

Once upon a time I didn't give a gently caress and ground my vertebrae until the cows came home. I was in the best shape of my life. 2 tours and 2000 hours of doing poo poo in the back of a poo poo-hook later... I'm good and I'll take my pussy weight. Pretty much the only reason I still ruck and lift and run and condition is because like everyone here, nobody wants to be a fat lazy piece of poo poo. And well, maybe we want to be able to save our own asses when/if we have to. That's good enough for me. Looking good in clothes is a bonus.

Ohyeah, what the gently caress is up with butterbars? When they pin that poo poo on do they magically get running and rucking powers, then lose it after they put a leaf on? I've never met a Lt that was bad at running.

Yeah the article didn't say you'd fold in half instantly with anything over 35 lbs just that you would gradually start jacking up your back the heavier and more frequently you did it. At 35 lbs. you can do it to your heart's desire without doing any damage at all.

As for butterbars and running, between OCS and IOBC I'd say running was 90% of our PT. My pushups and situps only marginally improved but I could max the run by the time I was done. They seemed to have this idea that hard PT = running, anything else = shamming. In fact, I was in the marginal PT group (had to PT on Saturdays) during IOBC for pushups (couldn't do enough at Ranger PT test standard). All we did was run even though about 1/3 of us were there for pushups.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I watched a video about discipline and this was in it. She's looks so loving content. I think I'll just eat chocolate like her and play video games instead of working out.