Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Your surrogate key posted:

Did you find a solution? Because I'm having the same problem. How is a "strength+running+rest+have a life" program suppose to look like?
I do the starting strength during my lunch break and run 10km after work, followed by a rest day. Rinse and repeat. That sort of works but it renders me useless in the evenings. I foam roll and do yoga in my rest days.
Thinking of trying strength training and running on alternative days but then when do I rest?! o.O

Ive been on SS for about 6 months, I had to take a break for about a month preceding my pt test to focus on running so I wouldn't fail it. I lost about 10lbs and about 20 pounds on my squat. There was no way for me to improve my run time while on SS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

Ashmole posted:

I'm going to Afghanistan at the end of the month and will have access to two okayish gyms on our AP/FOB. Can anyone recommend a good powerlifting/strongman program? Trying to get my big 3 up but I like doing sled drags and all that poo poo

if you're newish at this
https://stronglifts.com

Chances are high that you won't have access to bumper plates, so this works better than starting strength.

I loved it. I got up to 2x bodyweight deadlifts in about 6 months.

5/3/1 or madcow if you something more advanced. My stronger friends swear by 5/3/1.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Boo stronglifts yay 5/3/1

I plateaued on SL a couple years ago at like a 255ish squat. It’s too much volume. I’ve just repped that today as training weight after going from being out of shape. It’s also 100 times more flexible of a program. SL is just a mediocre ripoff of SS, which is still better anyway.

And on 5/3/1 you can do other poo poo on top of it since you’re only destroying your core and legs twice a week.

coming back from injury/laziness I did SL for a month again. I just plateaued at a 265 3x5 squat,

Going to switch to Texas method instead of 5/3/1. Learning powercleans from scratch is going to be interesting and it's one of the advantages of SS over SL