Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
I've been fighting a losing battle at work starting from the day I got here 2 years ago about how we stock the snack fund we have here. We normally have the most junior airman make the runs to the commissary, but I refused to buy all of the candy bars, chips, pop tarts, soda, ice cream, and hot pockets that they normally get. My reason being that we're in a career that requires us to be in shape, and I'd be doing a disservice to everyone else if I were to buy poo poo like that.

I even offered to go buy healthier snacks in place of the normal crap. They decided they'd rather have the junk food and kept the other guy on shopping duty.

And after all my bitching, they decided to add a box of granola bars and a case of diet soda to the shopping list. Thanks guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

SneakySnake posted:

...if you figure out that a dumb pissing contest with people who have nothing better to do than get into pissing contests isn't really worth the effort.

You realize you're talking about someone who gets banned monthly for posting in D&D/GBS, right?

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Ugh, I went out drinking at a buddy's going away party tonight and I have a 10k race tomorrow morning in 8 hours. Oh well, I guess I carbed up on beer, and I still plan on setting a PR tomorrow.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
We just had an Army division move on base, and along side all of the office buildings and vehicle depots, they built a smaller fitness center on their side of the base. It's only open from 6a-6p on weekdays, but it feels like it's my little secret. I can get there right after work at 4:30ish, and the place is nearly empty. Today at 5pm, when the main gym is packed, there were 9 people in there, including me and my friend. And they even have a squat rack, and a couple of cages that no one uses.

At first I wanted to tell people about this magical place, but then I decided gently caress them, this is my secret place where I can get a workout done in an hour without wasting a second waiting on idiots like ^^^

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Christoff posted:

...Hip drive...

God drat that makes a difference. My squats today felt so much easier than my last workout, and that was less weight.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

holocaust bloopers posted:

Making the gym a fun place is the trick to keeping it a hobby.

Yoga pants make the gym a fun place for me.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

Larry Parrish posted:

So what do you guys do to help yourself maintain a consistent pace when running? That's my big problem. I can run for a long time without passing out like a fatty, but I'll do wierd poo poo like run 2:00-2:15 for most of my PFT laps and then there will be #4 lap that was like 2:50 or some poo poo.

I had a watch with a lap timer on it that I'd use for PT tests. If I was going for 12 minutes, or 2 minutes a lap, I'd glance at the timer every quarter lap and see how close to 30 seconds I was. It makes it a lot easier to keep a consistent pace and not go too slow (or fast, which was my problem).

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

Lifting by yourself kind of sucks. Its nice to be able to do whatever you want but then there is always that 'what if i drop the bar on my neck?' thought.

That's why I like benching in the cages. Just set the straps high enough, and you're safe.

I'm going to miss my campus gym because of that. We have like 8-10 cages, so there's never that annoying wait for the one squat rack like in most gyms. And the undergrads in yoga pants. Totally going to miss that too.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch

holocaust bloopers posted:

You're not an exceptionally bright kid are you?

Come on, give him a break, it's not like there are directions that instruct you how much to take. Everyone makes mistakes.

Oh, wait

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
I just bought a townhouse with a garage big enough for my car and something else, so I'm thinking about doing a home gym. Does anyone have any suggestions for a not-crazy-expensive power rack and bench that I can get? I'm sick of waking up rear end-early to drive 15 minutes to get to the gym by 4am, and then driving 15 mins back so I can get to work by 6:30. I'm willing to spend the extra $$ to not have to wake up at 3:30 to work out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Yeah, that's what I meant. I'm not looking to spend $2000 on some top of the line rack, but I want something that's not going to kill me.

Not a bad idea about college gyms though. I've got a few nearby, and I probably won't make any purchase until I get back from OTS in late March.