Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Ridiculously hot girl working out in the free weights section = my workout was approximately 300% more intense. Kind of like when this one particular hot chick used to run on the treadmill next to me in college I always somehow managed to get in an extra 2 miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Rrail posted:

Let us take each other on in this challenge, and let us create a sobriety challenge pool for the victor.

Depends - are you still in Iraq? I feel like that would give you an unfair advantage.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Well, I'm in. We'll need to establish some terms, I suppose.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I have an APFT in a month and a half so I'm not really focusing on strength gains. But if you wish to start such a challenge and use this thread, then by all means, go for it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

So here's what I'm thinking for the rules:

We're allowed one (1) beer per weekend night each week (so Friday and Saturday). Otherwise no drinking whatsoever. Challenge will run from 2/24 to 3/24.

The penalty, if you fail, will be to do a power hour with Smirnoff Ice complete with live trip report throughout to be followed by an accompanying video starting at the 50 minute mark. And this is a real power hour - none of that six beer bullshit, we're filling those shot glasses to the brim.

And if you've never done a power hour with Smirnoff Ice, let me assure you that it is anything but a pleasant experience.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The Casualty posted:

I'm telling you man, give me a week. I'm flying back home after 9 months as early as tomorrow night. I gotta survive welcome back parties and my friends all wanting to hang out and there's no way I can be some sort of viceless monk for all that.

You can start a week late, that's fine. Get it out of your system and start your month next friday.

e: For everyone else doing it (or who still wants to do it), we'll start today and will check in every Sunday. Obviously we'll be using the honor system, but everyone on this forum drunkposts all the time anyway, so we'll probably find out one way or another. We'll use this thread since this is kind of a catch-all health thread, and not drinking is healthy (or so I'm told).

The challengers thus far:

No Butt Stuff
Rrail
psydude
Hell Diver
Mister Man
Christoff
The Casualty (starting next week)

Anyone else?

psydude fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Feb 24, 2012

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Christoff posted:

are we using this thread or we gonna have an official one so I can complain about my withdrawls

I'll throw one up.

e: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3468595

psydude fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 24, 2012

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Pinuyasha posted:

They still sell Jack3d on base at USAFA and tons of my classmates are using the stuff. Even the NCAA guys who actually are banned from using it.

If the AF hasn't banned it yet, they will soon. The only way the NCAA guys would get caught is if they were using it prior to/during a competition. Otherwise, it doesn't stay in your system long enough to get caught my the routine drug tests that are done at your physical.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Gotcha. Yeah, the Army hasn't outright banned it for use by soldiers, but it IS banned for use during training.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

You could just not use it for two weeks . . . I mean, your body isn't going to shrivel up and die because you didn't take a pre-workout supplement.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

You're only banned from using in the field or during PT. The memo we got was kind of vague, but those were the two things specifically mentioned.

e: I stopped taking workout advice from W&W when I was laughed at for suggesting that cardio was a method for losing weight. ECA stacks seem like a great way to pass out, though, if you're into that sort of thing.

psydude fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 29, 2012

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The Casualty posted:

I take yoga at my community college. It's hard at first but I felt absolutely incredible after every session. And holy poo poo, the women. The women. :allears:

Best part is that it's community college so they're about twice as easy to score as regular college chicks.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Whip Slagcheek posted:

My girlfriend does yoga, its awesome. :allears:

Dude, mine too. Definitely the best health fad to catch on in recent times.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Well, I also think the key to fitness is to find something that you like and stick with it. W&W posters wanna sperg about how technically this system and that means that lifting weights burns fat more efficiently blah blah blah blah and how it's the ONLY way to get in shape. The problem is that if you don't like something, you won't stick with it. I think the reason why so many goons flock to weightlifting is because goons in general are lazy loving people, and weightlifting has probably the most shallow learning curve of any type of exercise when you're first starting out. Is it intense later on? Of course, but it's certainly a lot more depressing to start running, swimming, cycling, or doing crossfit if you're completely out of shape because each of those exercises is inherently intense.

However, if crossfit or running or swimming is your thing, and you stick with it, then obviously it's more directly beneficial and successful as a tool to achieve your goal. Likewise, if you like lifting weights and that motivates you to keep going to the gym and eating healthy and whatnot, then have at it.

psydude fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 3, 2012

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The Casualty posted:

:stare:
I can hardly do 7 pull ups for one set if I'm fresh, I can't even fathom that routine.

How heavy are those weights? Back when I played football our weight room had yellow 25lb. plates and black 45lb. plates I think (it's been a long time). I just remember they were all the same diameter as a standard 45lb. plate.

Are you thinking of bounce plates? Those all have the same diameter and are used for cleans and deadlifts.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hell Diver posted:

Well, no more minimalist running shoes for me. I'm fairly fresh off my profile for my broken big toe and I lost some range of motion in it so my foot doesn't roll as naturally anymore. It doesn't bother me if I have thicker soled shoes since they stabilize the foot, but my minimus don't so after each run my ankle and knee just end up aching from taking the impact awkwardly and rolling strangely.

Guess I'm going shoe shopping.

Why not just get free runs?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm just gonna stick to eating foods with a low caloric density. I was a vegetarian once and the inconvenience just isn't worth it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Urgh, I hate being sick and not being able to work out. I might try to get in a light workout today if I feel good enough after work because I'm getting stir crazy.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Little less than a month out from my record APFT. I've started incorporating push-ups and a lot more ab work into my lifting days and have started doing longer runs. I'll probably start mixing in 400-800 meter work this week or next week.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Ashmole posted:

I do sets of 40 push ups throughout the day and I videotape for form (paranoid). For sit ups, I do captain chairs and inclined sit ups. People I know said that the captain chairs helped them a lot.

I wouldn't sweat the perfect form too much anymore. There will probably be some dickhead NCO at your BOLC that will give too much of a gently caress about it, but after that nobody will care. Not that you shouldn't be meeting the standard, but it's nowhere near LDAC levels of dumbness.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

3rdEyeDeuteranopia posted:

You really don't want to do pt in front of a bunch of soldiers with lovely or arguably lovely form though.

Right, because that's exactly what I was advocating right there.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

smertrioslol posted:

Medium pizza does not translate into definition in your abs. Cut that out.

Yeah seriously. Where do you think all 1500 of the calories from that pizza are going? Your muscles?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Ashmole posted:

Holy poo poo am I glad we do PT in the mornings. I was testing my pace on the 1 mile Benning track, it's 86 degrees (feels like 89), and gently caress was that hard. Ran a 7:15 but gently caress did that feel a lot harder.

EDIT: My phone is full of poo poo, its 83 but after running in New England weather for 9 months it's such a change.

Yeah, when we would start PT at 4:30 AM at Leonard Wood it was already around 75-80 most days.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Kaliber posted:

Huh? I'm not trying to lean out. Trying to bulk up back to the 180 I use to be before I got to Hawaii. Currently at 166 and trying to get up to 175. Not worried about my abs at all. I can see them through my shirt when I put on underarmor so it's all cool. Just eating as sloppy/much as possible to put on some fast weight. As gross as it makes me feel, it's just as unhealthy to eat in the chow hall anyways. When I'm done with ALC in about 2 weeks it'll be chicken/tuna/protein shakes about 10 times a day like when I was bigger. On the bright note, my shoulders/upper body has been looking massive lately compared to when I been cutting in preparation for my PT test.

Right, but what he's pointing out is that the reason why you're losing definition in your abs from throwing down a medium pizza every night is because it's making you fat, not muscular.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

smertrioslol posted:

A bearded man spoke to me in the CC gym today. Was that you HI???

Did he give no fucks?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I figured this is probably the place to ask, given the collection of swole people: anyone here ever worked as a bar bouncer? I'm thinking about doing it to make some extra cash on the weekends, but am wondering what actually sucks about the job other than working odd hours and standing for long periods of time.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yeah, I've seen that happen at a huge nightclub in Baltimore before (probably the most epic bar fight I've ever seen, actually). This is a pretty small venue, though.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

smertrioslol posted:

Are you an enormous, intimidating man? If so, collect your free money. Otherwise, be prepared for a lot of people who are actually going to fight as opposed to being scared to.

I'm 6'5".

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I thought the standard at Ranger School was 40 minutes?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Kaliber posted:

It is, but I'm not in Ranger school. Infantry ALC has this thing where TRADOC will pay for ranger school and everything while you're in Benning as long as your unit gives the ok to go. But the catch is you have to do special PT (which is awesome cause I got to do real actual PT and didn't have to learn any of that PRT stuff) and take a RPFT every week to asset where you're at. The 1SG of ALC's standards are 55 push ups to form, 60 something sit ups and 15 pull ups and the run in 36 minutes to give you that leeway when you're doing the actual RPFT and not fail out. I think it's pretty fair.

He said he'll let you go still if you're there but not quite there yet. But the only problem is my run time. It's my best time so far and so borderline he doesn't know if I'll be able to make it or not when I do the actual run. So I got dropped in favor of the people who can meet his standards on the run. Kinda sucks because push ups/sit ups/pull ups I'm one of the 5 people who gets the highest scores for as anal as they grade it.

Would they entertain the possibility of sending you to sapper school instead?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Kaliber posted:

Nope. Asked about airborne, sapper and etc. Though I did meet a sniper instructor doing a MTT to hawaii who said to give him a call when I get back to be a walk on.

The thing with ranger is the lack of tabbed infantry NCOs in the army today. Alot of 11b E5s and E6s said gently caress it cause of all our multiple back to back deployments, so now only like 20% of E5s and even less E6s are tabbed. Which means when we become senior NCOs it will be almost non existent on the SNCO level in a few years. Or something like that. Wasn't paying much attention during the brief. Which is why there's such a big push for it nowadays in tradoc.

If they want everyone to be ranger tabbed, then they should make it part of loving NCOES.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

There was a W&W thread on it for a while, but I can't find it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I have a coworker that only does Cross Fit and Krav Maga. He may be the epitome of elitist fitness douchebag. The punch line being he's not -that- in shape, but he sure likes to act like it.

Oh, and to top it off he does the Paleo diet.

And he's an Army SSG :ssh:
Does he do it up in Columbia?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Christoff posted:

I've mentioned it before but I'm still real skeptical of crossfit. I'm not saying it doesn't make chicks hot (and dudes look normal) or kick your butt. But something about the total randomness of the workout sequence, the lack of some sort of standard amongst gym/teachers/whatever they call them. All that and the fact of doing intense compound lifts at high reps with poo poo form just for the sake of hitting a quota irks me. 45 deadlifts with improper form or whatever? I like my back.

That's probably because it's not designed to turn you into a pro wrestler, it's designed to make you incredibly lean with a strong cardiovascular system. Different people have different goals, and different goals require different workouts.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

A lot of normal gyms have all of the equipment required for crossfit these days, anyway. All it takes then is dropping a few bucks for a workout manual and finding a friend or two to do it with.

Or you could do P90X and skirt the whole issue of equipment entirely.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

gleep glop posted:

I enjoy the crowds in civilian gyms way more.

Being able to get a bench is nice, too.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

gleep glop posted:

Also not being yelled at because my shoes are too bright or whatever the impossible to understand civilian dress code wants.

Also, air conditioning.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Every time my bench max increases, my pushup score decreases. The only way I get better at pushups is by doing pushups. gently caress that. I'll just take the 80 points and roll with it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Elgar posted:

Are you gaining body weight when doing so? Because that could be the reason. If you gain strength while maintaining the same body weight I don't see how your pushups could go down. Dips can also be useful for that as one person pointed out.

No, I've lost about 12 pounds in the last 6 weeks.

e: Although I haven't really bothered to gauge my pushup score since then, so maybe it's gone up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The view on it, as it were, is that by forcing the more in shape soldiers to work with the fat bodies, that it will instill a sense of responsibility to be physically fit in them and that fitness knowledge will be spread through social interaction.

However, fatties gonna fat. I'm not even really convinced that making morning PT into a hardcore session would help, because it takes the individual making the choice to change his or her lifestyle in order for any effect to occur. If they don't stop eating an entire bag of Cheetos and sucking down 10 cans of natty lite each night, they're not going to lose weight. And let's face it: maxing the PT test takes more than just showing up to PT.