Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

Godholio posted:

Both. The one on my shift constantly gave people poo poo about eating bread and rice. gently caress YOU BUDDY THE SUSHI HERE IS AWESOME :mad:

Paleo is the loving dumbest bullshit. The loving book admits that they don't even know what cavemen ate. It's a low carb diet justified pseudoscience. There was a picture on W&W that had a flow chart that said something like "did someone have to kill it? was it found in a nest?" If they just said "eat whole foods and complex carbs" it would be OK. Then you have the hardcore advocates saying that grains are the root of all diseases...yeah because cavemen lived such long, healthy lives didn't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

I do sets of 40 push ups throughout the day and I videotape for form (paranoid). For sit ups, I do captain chairs and inclined sit ups. People I know said that the captain chairs helped them a lot.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Holy poo poo am I glad we do PT in the mornings. I was testing my pace on the 1 mile Benning track, it's 86 degrees (feels like 89), and gently caress was that hard. Ran a 7:15 but gently caress did that feel a lot harder.

EDIT: My phone is full of poo poo, its 83 but after running in New England weather for 9 months it's such a change.

Ashmole fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 26, 2012

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

270 APFT this morning despite no Army PT for 9 months. Apparently the Benning track is 1.04 miles so sayeth the rumor mill...certainly felt longer. Going to do some more HIIT to bring that run up.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

39:30 is still passing for Ranger (cutting it close, though). I need to boost my run time too. I think part of it is strategy...like I can run a very fast one mile, so I need to find a more consistent pace.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Kaliber posted:

What I hate about Smith Gym at Benning? loving 100000000 swole rear end loving Rangers everywhere all the time.

Can't wait to go back to Hawaii where I can choose between Pearl Harbor or the Hickam Gym, or go home and relax and then go to Shafter where it's empty 24/7 cause it's all lazy pogues who never work out and I'm one of the regulars/stronger more in shape guys.

Haha I was just there. I feel inferior every trip, but everyone there just does "bro" exercises. The squat rack is very rarely used for squatting.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Kaliber posted:

Like just there right now? If you were, you probably saw me. Asian guy with his chest puffed out wearing a white t-shirt 2 sizes too small doing chest/back/abs

I left at about 1830, but I don't remember anyone fitting your description. That smoothie place is awesome.

I'm not sure if it's starting strength or what, but my push-ups have gone waaaaay up as a result of whatever I've been doing, so I'm happy about this.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

I used to do dumbbell presses. I was stuck at 65 chest-to-ground for over a year. Like I was consistently doing that. I stopped doing that poo poo and started doing Starting Strength and just doing the bench presses. I do 100 push-ups before I start though. I knock out as many as possible without resting.

A year ago it was 37 chest-to-ground, now it's 50. It's either I broke a psychological block, or I'm training smarter and less bro-ey. I missed maxing by 2 last PT test, but I got 60 (c2g) in a minute so I must be doing something right.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

What kind of pre-workout do you guys recommend? I need something to pick me up during afternoon sessions...

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

psydude posted:

Cocaine.

Or Jack3d. But you'll have to order it through the mail.

Eh, I was hoping not to see that. Any other suggestions?

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Deadlifts are great from a military standpoint too. Rucks are a joke if you do deadlifts.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

You know, I like some of the crossfit workouts, but lately I've been getting a little tired of this cult-like mindset it's created. You don't hear people say "I'm going to workout" it's "I'm going to do crossfit". I saw two dudes at the PX wear shirts that said "fran, helen, (some other chicks name on it)" and you could tell they just felt :smug:.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Tysterisk posted:

I could go full sperg and wall-of-text the gently caress out of people about CultFit, but that sounds too much like giving a gently caress. Let me just say that a program focused on linear progression of the basic compounds with some assistance work added, combined with HIIT/sprint training and a day for Oly lifting (the way it's supposed to be done, low reps and heavy as gently caress) is going to trounce any CrossFit program (that's actually "true" to CrossFit). Badly.

I did crossfit for a while and it did smoke me, but I wasn't really progressing in anything. My PT scores and general fitness have shot up just doing bodyweight warm-up, 5x5, HIIT+the running I do for PT.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

HeyEng posted:

My problem with CF stems from the fact that the dudes who get into it become real loving douche bags about it. That's great to be enthusiastic about fitness but their behavior transcends into it CF being the best thing ever for anyone period.

I felt like a bad rear end doing it at first because the workouts are so weird, but CF is so loving random. "Let's do uh...5 sets of back squats for, hmmm 2 reps each? OK that's today's WOD. Tomorrow, uh... 100 pull ups and 50 200lb power cleans for time" The emphasis on reps over form is also terrible for a fitness program aimed at a general population.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Tysterisk posted:

EDIT: Almost forgot, I use strstd.com to calculate my 5/3/1 routine. It can be a little off one way or another on projected 1RMs but it can still give you a general idea, in addition to it's calculator function.

poo poo man, that's a great site.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Man, I violated one of my rules by doing deadlifts on Monday. Had a run this morning and that DOMS was hitting my lower back hard.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Took my record for ABOLC today. Almost the same score: 74 push-ups, 90 sit-ups, and a 15:15 run. 274 total. I mean, it's not terrible considering the quality of PRT and skipped workouts due to field time.

I think I should slow down on the sit-ups because my legs always feel weird on the run. Anyone got some good running tips? I'm one of those thin, in shape looking people that sucks at running.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

not caring here posted:

Why the devil do you keep doing sit ups after they stopped meaning anything?

To be helpful though, that feeling in your legs, you're probably feeling it in front, up towards your hips? Hip flexors. I'm one of those poor bastards that doesn't use abs to do situps, it's nothing but hip flexors. Ruinis my run nearly the whole first mile.

That might be it. I feel like I've been running a lot, but as soon as I hit that track my legs felt really weird...

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Speaking of rucking: I tried out a marine's arcteryx ruck...holy gently caress it's amazing.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Veins McGee posted:

They're actually not very good. They're getting replaced for a variety of reasons(dont fit over armor very well, too tall)

I didn't wear an IBA/IOTV with it, so I can see this as an issue. The MOLLE 2 ruck that the army has sucks with the IOTV, at least for me it does.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

nuncle jimbo posted:

Alright so how do I get better at running in boots? Do it more, okay, but I don't have to tell you guys what that impact means for your knees. Any form tricks to know about or something? Info about prevention of said knee injuries would be helpful too.

Get boots for running. Nikes are awesome for this.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

nuncle jimbo posted:

Alright so how do I get better at running in boots? Do it more, okay, but I don't have to tell you guys what that impact means for your knees. Any form tricks to know about or something? Feels like running in these boots is all quads because I can't roll off my toes and get my calves into it like normal, am I doing something wrong? Info about prevention of said knee injuries would be helpful too.

Looking at the Special Field Boot and they look pretty nifty, but are they allowed? Or is that idea that they're training wheels?

They're allowed. A lot of people wear them - they're not too flashy. They're my garrison/PT boot. I've rucked in them a few times, but people say not to for some reason.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Anyone ever take that USP Labs "Powerful " poo poo?

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Does anyone here do leangains/IF? Have you been able to make it work with having PT in the morning and an evening workout?

I already asked this in the leangains thread, but I guess it would make more sense to ask everyone here considering the lifestyle.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Jerk n Clean posted:

What would you fine folk recommend for going from neckbeard status to fit enough to breeze through basic? I'm hoping to get in the november draft for the NZDF, but have no idea where to start fitness wise.

http://military-fitness.military.com/category/army-fitness

This is a pretty good resource.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

I bet you're all taking it because I'm a little behind the curve, but beta-alanine is awesome.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

barbudo posted:

what has it done for you? I think i'm going to start taking it.

I feel like it takes me longer to get fatigued/hit muscle failure. There's a lot of research that backs it up as a good supplement.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_supplements/supplement_superstar

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

vacation in merica posted:

Just an FYI, any "research" conducted on supplements isn't legit clinical research and is "conducted" by people paid money by the very companies producing the products. Unless you're roiding the most likely effect from supplements is kidney damage. It's all snake oil.

Beta-Alanine isn't like, superpump 5000 or something though. It's just an amino acid that is used to synthesize carnosine.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

I loving hate how dudes will say that they're going to do Crossfit instead of "I'm going to the gym."

loving cult.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

MurderBot posted:

I think you become a douche if you say "hey bro you do know that your 5x5 method is completely not functional strength buiding and you oughta look into this thing they call :smug: high..intensity :smug: It's kind of a big deal, and you know, we can totally get our WOD on.

You haven't lived until you've done 20 200lb powercleans in 30 seconds.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

My platoon actually does a pretty good strength circuit. It's not too difficult strength wise, but you do get loving sick after a few rounds. We also have the second highest PT average in the brigade since it was added.

- 8 deadlifts @ 135#.
- 30 second planks then 2 other stations for 30 seconds each side.
- 50lb dumbbell carry
- 8 pull ups
- 8 db push press @ 20lbs each arm.
- 10m "karaoke" to flutter kicks
- 10 squat jumps with 20 lbs
- 35# db snatch both arms for 5 reps.
- 10 burpees
- 15 decline push ups
- 8 high pulls @ 50#
- 12 rowers
- 300m shuttle run
- 10 burpees
- 12 plyo push ups

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

psydude posted:

Went to the Relax-Relax-Relax method for an easy 240.

YOU DID NOT GET A 300? YOU ARE A TERRIBLE SOLDIER.

The PL I replaced was actually convinced that your ability as a soldier directly correlates with your run time. I'm 100% serious.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Kaliber posted:

I had a PL like that too. He was like YOU'RE AN E5 AND CAN'T RUN LOWER THAN A 14:30?!?!?!? OR STAY IN MY 5-6 MILE RUNS @ A 7 MINUTE PACE?!

It's was like "No douche. I can barely sustain a loving 2 mile doing 7 minute mile without puking my guts out. What the gently caress makes you think I can do it for loving 5 or 6?"

But he could barely do 50 push ups....

I don't get where this poo poo comes from. It's like we never won a war without running really fast or something.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

283 apft (83 pushups,87 situps, and 1425) time to gorge on thanksgiving goodies.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Infantry officers have boners for run times.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Anyone have some good weight based strength training circuit ideas? I'm getting tired of the one we're currently running, but my PSG is so adamantly against me changing it...I'm doing it anyway because I've been telling him that it's not a good idea to do deadlifts twice a week every week (we've had injuries! surprise!).

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Ikarus posted:

Maybe teach them the correct form and technique and they won't injure themselves.

We've taught them it like 10 times and someone still fucks it up. Regardless, I'm tired of the weight circuit we do twice a week.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Does anyone have any tips on alleviating shin splints during ruck marches? I get terrible shin splints a couple miles in...

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

xwonderboyx posted:

I'm too fat for pullups :negative:

You probably can run like a mother fucker which is all the army cares about.

"Oh, well, 2LT Ashmole did the most push-ups and sit-ups in the company, but his run is only 14:25. He's OK at PT I guess"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Negatives help too.