Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funkameleon
Jan 27, 2009

psydude posted:

I've been doing some pretty intense power-lifting (squats, DLs, DB bench/incline/military press) over the past 3 months along with non-running cardio. I don't mind running, but it really just takes up too much time at this point in my life (I only do long runs about once a week now). For those of you in this routine, what kind of trainup do you do for your PT test (applies mostly to Army and Navy guys, I suppose)? I've got one in April, so I'm about two months out at the moment.

For the run, lots of people I know of had success with sprints. I used this one:

rounds x distance (meters) / target time / rest interval

8x200 48-50 2:00

5x400 1:48-52 3x interval

8x200 45-49 2:00

3x800 3:42-52 3x int

5x400 1:44-49 3x int

8x200 44-48 2:00

5x400 1:39-45 3x int

3x800 3:23-32 3x int

5x400 1:34-40 3x int

5x400 1:30-36 3x int

3x800 3:13-22 3x int

8x200 38-44 2m

3x800 3:04-14 3x int

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkameleon
Jan 27, 2009

Otto Skorzeny posted:

What's fish oil supposed to do? My gf's grandma gives her the stuff every time she sees her. At Christmas, she gave her two bottles of fish oil caplets, plus another bottle labled as Vitamin E that was clearly full of more fish oil caplets :ohdear:

For exercise/diet purposes
-control inflammation
-promote fat oxidation
-inhibit fat storage

and a bunch of other "general health" benefits. Unless you eat a lot of fatty fish its hard to get outside of supplements.

Its kind of like that acai berry nonsense except with actual research to back it up.

Funkameleon
Jan 27, 2009

Whip Slagcheek posted:

So, I'm gonna start wearing a mouth guard at the gym because I've noticed I clench my teeth on heavy squats. Can't wait to look like an rear end in a top hat. :(

Under Armour and some others sells a "performance mouthguard" if you want to really go for the "that guy" look.

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/pid1223503-960

For what its worth the two people I know who had them said it helped a lot.

Funkameleon
Jan 27, 2009

Christoff posted:

Goons stick to weight lifting because muscles get chicks.

Crossfit makes dudes look normal and makes chicks hot.

I'm still skeptical of the whole crossfit thing. I mean, can't complain about it getting people to get off their butt. But still. The regiments are just weird and don't seem good for your body in the long-term.

Each gym is different. There's no franchise really outside of writing a check each year for the name. The lack of HQ control also means gyms are free to be better if they want to be. If the gym looks like the main site as far as workouts go I think its a waste of money.

Funkameleon
Jan 27, 2009

The Casualty posted:

I'm a reservist and also one of those retards that actually enjoys running.

So I'm doing these front squats with weight? You make it sohnd like I should but I was envisioning just doing as many as possible without weight.

Tabata is 8 intervals of 20 seconds on, 10 seconds off of all out sprinting effort. The actual exercise is up to you. Sprints, burpees, various lifts (compound generally considered better), whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkameleon
Jan 27, 2009

gleep glop posted:

If I eat broccoli fertilized by cow poop would I still be vegan?

Yes, but you'd still be a horrible horrible person as that broccoli farm is like an industrial murder machine for field animals.

Shame on you!