Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinuyasha
Jun 16, 2009
I can pass my PT test, but I still look like poo poo in uniform due to terrible fat distribution. 135lbs at 5'6 and my stomach still sticks out farther than my chest. gently caress!

It makes me hate the world when everyone around me is eating 2 slices of cake, 4 cookies, and ice cream for lunch and dinner while downing it with chocolate milk, and those bastards are still toothpicks, while I haven't touched the dessert section in 7 months. The most swole guys usually average 4 cookies per meal.

Tell me more about this back alley doctor...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinuyasha
Jun 16, 2009

psydude posted:

These are the same types of people who get injured or busy and can't workout anymore and then gain 60 pounds because they don't change their eating habits.

The best part is when these assholes have the nerve to give me dietary advice. I've lost 80lbs in my time, and they've never had to lose a pound in their life, yet they think they know what to do. I've had about 10+ "diet gurus" come tell me how to shape up even though they sport a natural six pack, eat like poo poo, and get all their advice from bullshit fitness magazines. Best moment:

Skinny Fucker: "You need to run a lot to lose weight."
Me: "No you don't, it's almost all diet, and little has to do with exercise."
Skinny Fucker: "I have a friend who lost weight running a lot, so that's what it is. I WOULD KNOW!"
Me: "And I've actually lost 80lbs."
Skinny Fucker: "You're wrong, I WOULD KNOW!"

Said Skinny Fucker has never been fat, and would have a natural six pack if he bothered to go to the gym and even do the slightest ab workout. The only consolation I get is knowing that he's starting to have back problems at the age of 21.

Been following Intermittent Fasting for a while now too, which helped me go from 157 to 135lbs, and I get more of these morons telling me I'm anorexic and need to eat even though I can do 19 pull ups while some of them can't even manage 1. How many loving anorexic people do 19 pull ups in a row?! This is the kind of smarts the "future leaders of the Air Force" have.

Pinuyasha
Jun 16, 2009

moker posted:

If youre a 135 pound male no wonder you can crank out 19, but youre probably the last person that should be giving smug dieting advice

I started at not even being able to do 1 around the beginning of 2011 and it took most of the entire year to get to that point. Hard work does pay off eventually, but drat does it hurt.

My biggest mistake was following a low carb diet, which put a screeching halt to most of my gains for a long time. 3 months of straight lifting without a single pound of gain despite being an absolute beginner and following the 5x5 routine should've told me something sooner. And I know calories wasn't an issue, because I ate loads of bacon, eggs, and more eggs the entire time. Followed by topping it off with more bacon. Makes me want to bring Dr. Atkins back to life so I can deck him in the face. I guess there's still Gary Taubes.

Pinuyasha
Jun 16, 2009

moker posted:

Nooooooo you quoted it :(

But seriously 135 is drat low unless youre like 5 nothing is all Im saying. I dont know about unhealithy low or anything but still crazy low. And yeah low carb sucks and makes you loving miserable, also I dont care what some people in w&w say, it cant be healthy to eat that much saturated fat in everything. Complex carbs rule anyways

The low carb thread got shut down finally, so at least that madness has been put to a stop. I go with the advice of Lyle McDonald and Martin Berkham these days. Low carb didn't screw with my head or anything, but it did seriously hurt my performance. Again, something should've told me there was a problem when I was 168lbs in BMT and could run the 1.5 mile in 11:47 with size 11.5 shoes even though I'm supposed to wear 9.5, yet at 140lbs and 9.5 size shoes, the best I could manage was 13:13.

The strange thing is even at 135 and being 5'6, I still have a 32 inch waist, while every other part of my body has shriveled to almost nothing.

Pinuyasha fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 7, 2012

Pinuyasha
Jun 16, 2009
I don't eat grains personally since they just always cause me to overeat, and their nutritional density is pretty poor after factoring in anti-nutrients. The carb sources in our dining hall are white bread, "wheat" bread (just white bread dyed brown), cake, cookies, pudding, Gatorade, pudding, the breading on all your fried foods, pies, ice cream, and milk (lactose intolerant, FFFFFUUUUUU-)

If they don't have potatoes (real ones, not the mashed that I know are crap) or beans, then I end up eating a ton of bananas post work out. I try to get around 200g of carbs after lifting, so usually I end up eating 4-7 bananas depending on what's available that day since that many apples or pears is just impossible. I've pretty much become the banana man to the dining hall staff now.

I always found it funny how the higher ups promote fitness and health, yet stock the dining halls with utter trash. Maybe it's some kind of clever tactic to weed out stupid people by fattening them up and destroying their career with a single PT failure. Easier than waiting for all the dumbasses to get a DUI or sexual assault I suppose.

It's at least entertaining to me seeing a bunch of 18-21 year olds getting sick, injured, and broken around here.

Pinuyasha
Jun 16, 2009

psydude posted:

It's because it's cheaper to feed people terrible food. It's the same reason why low-income people have weight control issues: foods with trans fat, sodium, and processed sugars will keep longer and are, on the whole, much cheaper to produce, transport, and store.

The military could probably save a ton of money in the long run just in healthcare costs by increasing BAS and teaching soldiers how to cook.

The one area where looking towards the future really counts and we're the most short sighted in it.

My supervisor got gout a while ago at the ripe old age of 26. Getting old sure does suck. Disqualified from all flying jobs now, and has to get a waiver for his current one. He was planning to commission as a Navigator too.

Pinuyasha
Jun 16, 2009

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I don't get BAS and there's no kitchen in the barracks. Your move, LT.

In other news, I'm contemplating a vegan diet. I know a warrant that did it for many years, and my civilian friends seem to have all become vegans, and love it.

This is a dumb idea. Veganism in general is stupid. At least with vegetarian you can still get high quality dairy protein. Vegan has absolutely none. Rice and bean protein is a pretty pathetic source. Protein has a digestibility amount so what you see on the package isn't exactly what you're getting. To give you an idea, egg and dairy protein rank the highest at about 97% and meat/fish falling at around 94%. Rice fall into the range of about 76%, and beans are lower, though I don't know the exact amount. The highest ranking vegan proteins are peanut butter at 94% oatmeal and whole wheat at 86% and all of them are incomplete proteins. Every other vegetable protein falls even lower than these values. Basically what this means is if you eat 100g of protein of eggs, you only digest 98g of it. 100g from chicken is 94g digested. I trust you can do the math for anything else.

If you try to meet your protein requirements on a vegan diet, you will get fat. Peanut butter is incredibly calorie dense, and you'd need to combine it with another food just to make the complete protein. The vegan favorite and one of the few complete vegetable proteins, Quinoa, has 8g protein per 1 cup. 1 cup has 222 calories, and you're only digesting 86% of this protein. Let's say you want 50g of protein from that. You're looking at about 8 cups of quinoa, which is 1,776 calories IF you eat it plain, cooked in water. An 8oz chicken breast has 72g (68g accounting for digestibility) of protein and 368 calories.

If you don't try to meet your protein requirements, you will shrivel up and become a sad shell of a man as your body eats your own muscle. If a person started a vegan diet being incredibly obese already, then they'll feel fine for a bit because all of their fat will finally be put to use. That's probably the case with that warrant and your friends. Once that's gone, prepare to feel like utter poo poo. And even if they don't feel like poo poo, they probably look like a toothpick, or are incredibly fat.

Go to Bodyrecomposition.com and read through all of Lyle McDonald's articles on nutrition before you start some stupid diet like veganism. You'll find that it's absolutely dumb, and pointless. Any diet that will not keep you alive if you had to live off it in the wild with no supplements sucks. That's the #1 rule when picking a diet to follow.

Unless you want to ignore the advice and try something dumb. Then you can be like me and waste a year gaining nothing and growing weaker.

Pinuyasha fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 7, 2012

Pinuyasha
Jun 16, 2009

Kaliber posted:

I recently discovered crossfit and it's the most amazing thing ever. I really hate cardio so this is a decent replacement.

My cardio and endurance has gone through the roof since I started doing it 3 times a week. Only problem is I'm starting to lean out and putting back on weight has gotten even harder.

I wish I had a problem leaning out too much...

Pinuyasha
Jun 16, 2009

Kaliber posted:

I use to be a fatty. I ballooned from 155 of being skinny/fat (i did nothing but cardio and ate like a pig) to 200 lbs because I stopped doing cardio and just the b/s army half rear end PT + Germany with my diet of beer/doners.

Went from army 22% body fat down to 12% body fat within 8months. Completely changed my eating habits, life style, and was lifting weights 6 days a week. Only problem was I was actually going all out during morning PT and lifted in the evening so I was burning more calories than I was able to put in. It was only during my 45 days of PCS leave I was able to put on 25 lbs to where I was at 175ish. But since coming to Hawaii I went back down to 150. Now I'm struggling to keep myself at 165. I have to eat so drat much it makes me want to puke to sustain this weight.

Oh and crossfit isn't too bad. You kinda have to be in shape but not really. If you can't do the weight for the WOD just go as light as possible and build up from there. I got no shame in doing the same weight as the girls for squats and stuff because I can't get my form right with heavier weight.

I'm still working on doing the lifts correctly. Just learned today that I had been doing an overhead press wrong the whole time, and I was doing sumo deadlifts instead a standard one. But that's what happens when you learn from broscientists. I was also doing squats wrong for a long time. It's amazing how useless most people are in the gym for giving good lifting advice. I'm going to purchase a copy of Starting Strength soon, because I've gotten tired of BS lifts and lifting routines.

Right now I'm just eating correctly and lifting. Calorie counting is nearly impossible at a dining hall, so it's hard to follow most diet plans. I tried milk + lactase pills, but the results have been a failure so far, so this past week was rough. Maybe the BX brand just sucks, cause I took two of those and still got destroyed. I probably negated most of this week's potential gains just from crapping out so many calories the past 4 days.

Pinuyasha
Jun 16, 2009

Triggs posted:

If you're having a tough time counting calories just download a calorie tracking app for your phone, some are free and actually pretty decent.

I'm having a hard time because they're not listed anywhere, not because I have nothing to track them with.

Pinuyasha
Jun 16, 2009

Rrail posted:

Too much protein and not enough water has given me kidney stones previously actually, gotta take a LOT of water when working out and taking whey protein.

It's only a problem when you have prior kidney damage. For everyone else who doesn't, it doesn't matter.

I keep it to the essentials:

Multivitamin (Has Zinc, which is also important)
Fish Oil (10g daily is the sweet spot I see recommended the most.)
Magnesium Citrate
Vitamin D3

Most of everything else is either junk, or you can just eat the right foods to get it. Zinc, Magnesium, Calcium, Vitamin D3, and Fish Oil are really the ones worth supplementing, since eating them is rather difficult for most people.

You'll find that if you don't eat like poo poo, and sleep enough, you won't need Jack3d and NOXPLODE to make you get off your rear end to go to the gym.

Pinuyasha
Jun 16, 2009

Rrail posted:

THE gently caress? Do I have prior kidney damage? My family is prone to kidney stones but the first one I ever got was here, when I started taking an increased amount of protein.

Your whole family might just have a genetic problem that gives you kidney stones, you included. If you've never had kidney damage before, I'd say get your genes checked out. You and your family just might need a diet more specifically tailored to combat that. Sounds like it is genetic, though, since your family has the problem and not just you.

Whey and Casein protein shouldn't cause problems with kidney stones if you have one of the risk factors anyway. Milk is pretty neutral on the pH scale and the individual proteins themselves are only slightly acidic. Some charts classify them as base, some as acidic, but either way they're close to 7, which shouldn't cause problems. Meat proteins are pretty acidic, though. I think their pH is around 3.5, which could be a problem if you have risk factors and are consuming a lot of it.

Pinuyasha fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 12, 2012

Pinuyasha
Jun 16, 2009

Godholio posted:

I'd love to see peer-reviewed source for that.

Lyle McDonald has already looked into this, with sources.

If high protein intake caused kidney stones, then we'd see a massive number of cases given how much meat is consumed in the average American diet. Not to mention the many bodybuilders and athletes out there who consume mass amounts of protein with no problems.

I've regularly consumed 200g or more daily for the past 1 1/2 years and I've had no ill effects. It's more bullshit vegans and vegetarians try to push to make their lovely diet sound better.

Pinuyasha
Jun 16, 2009

Captain Payne posted:

Is it possible to take 10g of fish oil a day without spending a ton of money?

I order mine off Trueprotein.com/Truenutrition.com.

I get 1000 standard caps (1g each) for $23.27 not including shipping with the military discount code (It's MILITARY) and simple math shows it's good for 100 days. You could also buy the liquid kind, which is way more concentrated.

Many supplements just say a generic amount for dosage. Sometimes they're not always 100% surefire. Fish Oil is one of them. 10g is the highest amount to go with that. Beyond that, there's no point. 6g is the minimum for optimum effectiveness. Yohimbine HLC is another good example. Says to take 1-2 capsules daily, but at that low of an amount, it's pretty much useless.

Pinuyasha
Jun 16, 2009
They should allow steroids/HGH in the military. Then they can stop bitching about PT problems so much.

The main risks of steroids even cycled properly is your muscles growing faster than your joints/connective tissue. Your muscles could handle more, but your joints/connective tissue take much longer than that for it the develop enough to handle that weight. Imagine the pain when you bench 400lbs but your tendons can only handle 150lbs.

Pinuyasha
Jun 16, 2009

psydude posted:

Is that why my knees hurt? I've moved my squat rep weight up 50 pounds in the past 2 weeks and started doing long runs again.

Your knees probably hurt because you're doing the squats wrong and using your knees to lift it. It's not possible to go up in squat by 50lbs in 2 weeks unless you're doing it wrong. You probably are and should really look it up before you blow out a knee.

You won't have a problem with muscles outgrowing tendon/ligament rate without drugs. Or let's say you do a lot of isolation exercises that work certain tendons, but not others, then you do a compound lift that requires the use of tendons you never work out. Recipe for a tear. So is doing an exercise really wrong and stupid. Always look up proper form before you get macho and go heavy.

Pinuyasha
Jun 16, 2009
Does anyone know where you can get a list of banned supplements in the military? I've been trying forever to find something, but I've come up with nothing. I'm curious on the legality of synephrine and a few other things.

Pinuyasha
Jun 16, 2009

Christoff posted:

Chances are if you think it's banned you probably shouldn't be taking it.

Starting Brazilian Jiu Jitsu again soon and Muay Thai most likely. I'm a bit intimidated to go to my first Muay Thai class though. I'm a terrible boxer and kick like a girl.

People made a fit over Geranium Stem and that ended up being nothing but BS. I got worried over nothing when I was using Jack3d a year ago and that whole scare went around. I'd rather have facts than speculation.

Pinuyasha
Jun 16, 2009
They still sell Jack3d on base at USAFA and tons of my classmates are using the stuff. Even the NCAA guys who actually are banned from using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinuyasha
Jun 16, 2009
I took the PFT today and totally blew it. Did even worse than last time. Turns out I dieted far too hard and lost more than I expected. Pull-ups went down from 19 to 13, push ups went down from 50 to 40, sit-ups went down from 85 to 79, and 600 meter run went from 2:10 to 2:25.

Losing 20lbs wasn't worth it at all. I hate how I keep loving this up.