Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I figure at least one bro in here will have useful advice in here for me.

I'm aiming to get a NROTC (marine option) scholarship next fall, but right now my PFT score is just sad. I'm decent enough at the crunches, and shouldn't have an issue getting them close to 100 by next year. The worst thing is the pull-ups, though. I can get like 3 or 4 in a set before I have to start cheating to get any more reps in.

I've already got a dedicated back day where I do 3 or 4 sets of as many reps possible of pull-ups, and also do 3x10 lat pulldowns (at around 75lbs. for these with good form). I've also started throwing in pull-ups on my other gym days too, but usually only one or two sets.

Does this seem like a good plan, just keep working at it, or is there something you guys would recommend changing/adding? I'd get a pull-up bar for my place and do them randomly throughout the day, but there isn't really anywhere for me to put it.

Also I'm 5'8ish", 165lbs so I'm not a big fatbody or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I have doors, but the frames are all trimmed in white, and at my last place, my roommate had one of those frame bars, and the padding marked up the doorframe pretty bad.

I do get to the gym 4 or so times a week, so I'll start throwing pull-ups in whenever I can.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

That Armstrong program looks good, thanks for pointing me to it.

And thanks for the doorframe bar advice, I'm going to pick one up next paycheck.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Captain Amerikkka posted:

Max max relax, only way to go.

Also anyone here use Jack3d before they reformulated it? Some dude at a nutrition store told me that there's something called "preworkout" that has some fancy root in it that's an ephedrine analog or some poo poo they banned from jack3d, is this even remotely true or would I be just as well off drinking a cup of coffee or something?

Jack3d used to have a stimulant called 1,3 DMAA. It's pretty great. Supposedly it is naturally found in geranium plants, and that's why it was allowed in supplements. But then in the last year the FDA decided that since nobody could actually prove it is found in them, and all of the DMAA used in supplements was synthetic, it wasn't allowed. The stuff they make now is mostly just flavored caffeine.

So yes, go with coffee and maybe some other stuff like creatine or whatever you want.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Now that the FDA made everybody take DMAA out of their preworkouts you're better served by just taking some powdered creatine daily and slamming an energy drink before you leave for the gym. Maybe look into beta alanine and arginine if you feel like getting fancy.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Apparently my platoon has a ruck run coming up in January, so I have to start prepping my fireteam for that crap. Any suggestions on how to train for that other than "put on pack, run for a while"?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

The only flat ground on base are the two tracks/football fields, and there are like no dirt paths so it's going to be all paved hills for however long it ends up being. Going to be spending some quality time with my shin splints afterwards.

Also I've literally never gone on a ruck run, and I'm pretty sure none of the other junior enlisted in my platoon have either so this should be dandy.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Give him a written counseling, that'll show him

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

unless youre combat arms you should stop giving such a gently caress you goddamn weirdo

fat pogs are the worst pogs

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Going to get out of that ruck run I mentioned earlier thanks to some soft-tissue inflammation in my foot. Now if only I could walk without limping,

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I was planning on just taping the hell out of it and taking a bunch of pain killers before doing the run but apparently my platoon sergeant thought that was a bad idea and made me go to sick call today.

tcom is dumb

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Enjoy your complimentary pizza and bagels and minimal progress at PF, I guess.

And every time I learn about The Rat's life, it just becomes clearer that he's living the dream.

My deadlift topped off at 305x5 a couple of months back because I've had a sprained back that I was trying to avoid going to medical for. They didn't even give me any good pills when I finally went, just naproxen and bengay.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Yeah dude training your core is for idiots

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

There is decades of medical literature explaining how and why almost everything the military does to physically train people is both counterproductive to the intended results and extremely damaging in both the long and short term, but here we are.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

If you don't feel recovered, not just better, go back at the end of your week and tell them the prescribed treatment wasn't sufficient. Even if you weren't scheduled for a follow-up or whatever.

Don't feel bad about getting light duty because of an over-use injury. The military is really bad about breaking people because of its long history of doing everything in direct contradiction of what all science and good sense would say.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

You guys looking for a lifting program that leaves space for cardio and also having a life should check out Westside for Skinny Bastards, it's built for athletes so it's a strength/performance-centric lifting program that assumes that you're doing at least as much conditioning or whatever throughout the day.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Making me feel scrub-tier trying to get my deadlift back over 300 since I pulled a muscle in my back this spring.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I saw a kid order like $70 worth of gummy bears off of Amazon to weigh down his pack for a ruck run once.

Most other people used textbooks and water, though. If you've got weight plates those are nice and you know exactly how much they weigh.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Did a one-lift max for bench deadlift and squats on Friday for my unit's morning PT session.

Wasn't expecting to get 175 for my bench, but I was also disappointed I couldn't even get 315 to budge on the deadlift, that used to be something I could get a few reps of at least.

At least I know my starting point for 2016

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

bro if you've never done squats or deads in vibrams you've never lived

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I have never once run in vibrams, lifting only

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Yeah splitting back day seems weird, and doing an interval workout right before/after a resistance workout seems like it would be counterproductive.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

How come the DoD doesn't just give out roids and monitor people's blood levels. Be all that you can be.

It's not like any of the branches is that concerned about long-term health in people anyways.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

not caring here posted:

Yeah, don't run on Mondays. No one in the history of running or the military has ever liked running on a Monday, and if they do then they hate themselves and the people they are in charge of.

I feel that way no matter what day it is

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Kawasaki Nun posted:

make them run every day and then mondays won't seem quite so bad. apply to every other poo poo reg possible

Just got back from SNCO Academy I see

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Paleo would be an improvement over Sodexo's "three pounds of potatoes and half a chicken breast" diet

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

sky shark posted:

Also post your Spotify workout motivation playlist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2r3UgeyiuQ
On repeat

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

http://www.exrx.net/ is a really good resource for all sorts of "what the hell is an X" or "what's the right form for X" questions.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Dingleberry posted:

Yay, torn labrum in right shoulder plus nerve stuff causing denervation in some muscles... prolly surgery bound.

Hey my physical therapist told me yesterday the painful popping in my hip is probably labrum damage, high five crappy surgery buddy

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Are they painful? That seems to be one of the big warning signs with my hip, is the pain associated with the popping, vice my shoulder where there's more popping but no pain

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

I've been pretty consistently getting to the gym every day before work the last couple months, but this week I've got a cold that's left me unable to breathe through my nose and my voice sounds like Chocolate Rain. Going to the gym this morning was a fool's errand. I got about halfway through my warm-up sets for squats and was completely gassed.

PFT next week is gonna be fun if this doesn't clear up soon.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

You should consider eating more than a little protein if your goals are to get stronger, lose weight, and look better.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

You should also eat more than a little protein if your goals are to gain weight.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Pretty sure Hydroxycut is just caffeine and other stuff that'll make you piss a lot these days. Legit ephedra is a pain to get in a lot of places since it seems like a lot of pharmacies have stopped stocking it just to avoid the hassle.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Were you watching a Major Lazer video rehearsal?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKKdJoXF7PI&hd=1

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Chicken breast is very lean and extremely easy to cook, plus it takes to marinade very well so you can get at least some variation in flavor.

Tuna is fattier than chicken but they're good fats so if you've got space in your macros it's also a great option. Plus nowadays you can get all sorts of different flavors if you get the packets.

Cottage cheese can also be a bit fatty depending on what kind you get, but it's mostly casein which digests very slowly. This means you'll feel full for much longer than with most other foods because it's going to sit in your stomach for a while.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

I am down 50 pounds from a little more than 2 years ago. It feels good. My goal is to lose another fifteen pounds over the next few months. None of the clothes I bought after getting out of the army fit anymore, but I don't give a gently caress because I'm in okay shape getting into better shape.

Hell yeah. Just keep at it. Little gains are better than no gains.

I'm starting physical therapy today after my hip surgery last month. Walking is an adventure still but it's better than it was.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Depending on your goals there's stuff like Starting Strength, stronglifts, WS4SB, push/pull/legs, etc. all available for free.

Or you could pay for a really good plan from an outfit like Renaissance Periodization or whathaveyou. Just depends on your goals and priorities and budget.