Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
If you're a Marine or wannabe debil dawg, and you struggle with pull-ups, then you need to check out the Armstrong Pull-up Program This program works very well for most people. Don't use bands either. 4 weeks before I went to boot camp I could barely do 5. I did this program for 4 weeks and got 12 on my IST in MCRD San Diego. I wasn't even doing the push-up portion.

If you can do a decent amount of pull-ups already (15+) another way to get them up without doing pull-ups 5x days a week is to do heavy bicep curls and lat pull-downs 1-2x times a week and do 3-6 sets of 4-8 reps of pull-ups at the very end of your workout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010

moker posted:

Do you really find curls and lat pulldowns help chin/pullup numbers? I find they're terrible and adding weight to chins and pullups is best by a mile

That's how I finally managed to break the 20 pull-up barrier (from 17 reps to 23) and did it pretty quickly. I still would do body weight pull-ups at the end of my workout.

The gym I went to at the time did not have anything I could use to comfortably do weighted pull-ups. Now I do weighted pull-ups with a vest instead of lat pull-downs and do curls after. Either one will work.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I tried no-xplode and that would make me so god damned fatugued 5 minutes into whatever workout I was doing. Despite my user name, I'm not elite enough for that crap.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Where is the pain in your knees?

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Got a PFT next week and after that I'll be doing the same thing and adding some swimming and hiking back into my program.

I'll be trying out the wendler 5/3/1 program.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Had a weekend long pain storm (Oorah reservist)

USMC pft (got 20x pull-ups, 100x crunches and a 21:35 3 mile run. Run could have been better)
500m swim
30 minutes of treading water
running all over the place
5.5 mile cross country ruck run with a 40# sand bag in 1:10
more running

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I never understood the obsession with PTing 2-3 days before a graded event like an APFT or Marine PFT/CFT. Like that last minute workout is going to magically make you ace the loving test.

Yep, they sure know how to set people up for success.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Jimminy loving Christmas, dude. 8000m of sprints is pretty intense.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
If you're just using it for pt, go with a cheap one off ebay, and use the standard metal frame. (large for ease of packing). I tried using metal weights in my ruck, but they rubbed holes in the pack and turned the frame into metal shavings. Instead, fill a seabag with rubber mulch. Tactical Tailor makes great shoulder straps and kidney pads aswell. Those are about $50 separately. The standard Alice ones are dog poo poo, and will wreck your body when the weight gets significant.

If you need a ruck for actual training, get a large Alice ruck with side pockets, top pouch and a claymore pouch mod, replace the ladder locks with buckles and get the material that sits against the frame reinforced, and a zippered inner draw hood for radios. New, a pack like that will run you about 160-200 bucks. Don't spend any more than that for a modded ALICE. Tactical Tailor and TAG make frames that work with armor and camel backs, and they run ~$70-$80. If you're feeling like mr money bags, go for that Eagle ruck with the bazillion pouches.

Here's a comparison:

Both are the same large ALICE, the modded one is on the left. Main pouch storage is the same, but the additional outside pockets make it easy to get larger items (5lb bags of skitttles) that you need to get to quickly.

One thing you'll want to do if you get the zippered pouches is to wrap the zipper tabs with a little electrical or athletic tape. That way they don't make a lot of noise when you're moving around.

Links: http://www.tacticaltailor.com/packs_bags/rucksacks
http://www.tacticalassaultgearstore.com/aliceframe.aspx
Check Combat Ready for ruck mods, and if they don't offer anything at a reasonable price, shoot me a message. I know a guy that makes solid stuff, but he takes a while to get your gear shipped.

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Aug 2, 2012

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
A cool kb workout my Marine bros and I would do involved a deck of cards. Each suit had it's own exercise such as goblet squats, one arm snatches, kb swings, and one arm over head presses. The number of the card determined the reps. Jokers were 50x push-ups. You can do some core stuff with those slam balls too like sit-up throws, and sit-up trunk twists.

Squatting isn't going to help much with running dude, so I'd suggest getting a jump rope, or just going out for an actual run through the streets if you can manage it.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
If you're posting those numbers and ruck times 6 weeks out, you're going to kick the crap out of the sfre, dude.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Best of luck. You're trying for the unit in Cali correct?

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010

heyfresh888 posted:

Yeah, the 19th group that is in this state.

See you in May

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
They need to make pants so people can see the fire growing in my loins as soon as I walk through the front door of the gym.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
That explains why assholes curl in the squat rack

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Congrats on the progress dudes!

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I tried that caffeine poo poo(NOS or NO2 whatever the gently caress it was) before doing a MA workout and I thought I was going to die after 2 rounds. I literally felt like just laying down and going to sleep for the rest of the week. I felt like I was fighting the sandman on fire watch. Never again. I just take plain BCAAs before and after my workout now.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I'm currently struggling with the same thing. I've been doing retarded weight 1-2 times a week (running a sub 13 mile/min mostly, which is still slow for ruck running) for the past few months and really haven't managed any improvement on time. What sucks about this is when I get too exhausted to run, I just fall apart because I haven't trained myself to walk fast.

I'm going to be taking a similar approach to my running by doing shorter intervals at sustainable speeds (starting with no weight, just wearing boots), and keeping a close track on maintaining a pre-determined pace. I know it's possible to walk sub 14, 13, and even 12 minute miles with a hefty ruck because I've seen people do it. It's just a matter of practicing the correct walking form (leg strut, arm swing , and lean), and progressing in distance and weight once you get it down.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
7/6/13
leg days rule

2 min max situps/pushups

squat
5x 155#
3x 195#
3x 255#
3x 285#
max (4x) 325#
3x10 195#

situps 120x

ez curls
5x 35#
3x 45#
3x 75#
3x 85#
max (6 or 7) 105#
3x10 45#

pullups
10x lol

2 minutes of rest between all sets

7/7/13
conditioning
10-8-6-4-2
double db clean and press 45#
situps
rengade rows 15#
db goblet squat 45#
30 sec rest between rounds

my legs feel pretty confused

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
People know I workout because I wear fitness related shirts whenever I'm not in the gym. My physique is so poor, you wouldn't be able to tell otherwise.

I forgot to post pictures of my cats in my fitness log.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Some endurance/distance athletes take caffeine before an event so they don't have to stop during the race and pinch off a loaf. Cool.

It's 94 degrees out and I've been doing ruck intervals

2 minute max situps 80x +3x more

ruck weight 56lbs no water
1 mile: 11:17
1/2 mile 5:56 HEHEHE OORAH AM I RITE M16A1 4 lyfe
2x1/4 mile 2:36 and 2:26

ruck push-ups
5x6

I think I got this poo poo figured out during the last portion of the workout. This is only the second week I've been training at my actual pack weight. The technique of the 10 minute mile times are right between running and walking. It's like a really weird glide. Next week I hope to shave about a minute off the mile time.

Still have a strength(dl)/body weight session tonight and a short run.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
It seems around 15-40mg per sitting (heh poop) is ideal for a workout kick start/maintenance every hour. Most of those energy gels/bars have this amount and don't cause people to poo poo their loving pants upon consumption.

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jul 9, 2013

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
today's muscle fest

2 min max situps
86x
3 min rest

max pullups
16x
3 min rest

face pull
5x25 30# 2 min rest between sets

situps
5x30 1 min rest between sets

pullups
5x6 & 4x5 1 min rest between sets

45 min rest
god drat allie pad took longer than I expected to put on

3x1 mile ruck intervals + 1 mile jog 5 minute rest between all intervals
10:00 no traffic + hills
11:05 traffic + lsmall incline
10:38 traffic + hills
1 mile jog in boots (untimed)

ruck weight: 57# + 1L of water

I present the apparatus of pain:

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I was pretty stoked when I nailed the first time as a new pr for walking only, considering there's a gnarly uphill portion. Just gotta keep on truckin'/ruckin'. I'm going to be doing 3 miles straight this Friday.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Here's a link to that ruck mod: http://www.innovativeperformance.co/

I recommend getting a locking collar so the weights don't bounce around all willy nilly.

today:
7 rounds
5x strict pullups
10x dips
15x pushups
25x situps
10x (5 per leg) step ups with 25# dbs
3xY+Ls (shoulder mobility drill)
30 sec rest

going to do 8x 400m intervals a little later.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010

agentq posted:

Are you on your own workout plan or some programming or plan you picked up along the way?

Most of what I'm doing is stuff I'm making up for apft improvement, and to get a sub 2:50 on a 12 mile ruck. 3 days a week I'll be doing the conditioning stuff from the MA ruck selection plan but that's just to prep for other crap I may end up doing like team events or obstacle courses.

Today was pretty short:

pushups
2x1 minute max effort 1 minute rest between sets
46x-24x

weighted pullups
5x5 25# 2 minute rest between sets

weighted decline situps
5x5 35# 1 minute rest between sets

pushups
5x20 3x15 1x5 1 minute rest between sets

4 mile jog

Also deathy is a confirmed speed hacker.

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 19, 2013

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
friday gently caress

situps
2x1 minute max 1 minute rest between sets
42-42

pullups This wasn't a max effort, but I'm going to change it next week
10-6 1 minute rest between sets

conditioning
7-6-5-4-3-2-1 of:
double db clean and press 45# dbs
situps
ground pounders 15#
back squat 135#
30 second rest between rounds

pullups
3x6 1 minute rest between sets

skipped the post conditioning situp sets today since my back is still alittle wonky from loving it up doing dead lifts a week and a half ago

1.8 mile run immediately after workout
in converse
never again

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 20, 2013

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Get some energy gels/chewables that have some caffeine and carbs in them, and take it prior to and during the race. Make sure to take a pre-race dump because of the caffiene.

I use GU stuff since some flavors don't have caffiene, but there a lot of other decent brands out there too. I use a caffeinated gel prior to a workout, and the no caffeine chews (which are small gummies) during the events. Make sure to read the directions, and don't wait until race day to try it out.

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 20, 2013

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
1 minute max efforts of
pushups 43x
2 minute rest
situps 44x
2 minute rest

pullups un timed
12x as many straight reps without resting in bottom position

15 minute rest to change footwear

3 mile ruck 57# + 1L water (1L is ~2.2# just so you know)
34:14
that includes the wait time for traffic (which by my guess was probably about 2-3 minutes total)

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jul 21, 2013

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Nice job dude.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
didn't do poo poo last week because I was bloging on live journal about how sad I was that the indoc got cancelled.

yesterday

2 min max
pushups 59
situps 72
max pullups 16

20x pushups
25x situps
8x pullups

1 minute rest between all sets

today
pushups
5x20

situps
5x20

pullups
5x4

facepull
5x20 20#

1 mile ruck 57# no water under 10 minutes
1 mile jog in boots (no ruck) ~8min
both had a good 350m uphill portion

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
MEGA WEIGHTS (just kidding)

5 rounds
5x pullups (not that kipping poo poo)
10x dips
15x pushups
25x situps
3x shoulder rom drills
30 second rest

bb complex
6 reps each of:
dl
bent over row
hang clean
front squat
push press
back squat
bw pushup

95#-115#

3 minute rest between complexes

400m warmup jog
4x200m intervals sub 40 sec pace
400m cool down

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
If you can't use chalk, check out Liquid Grip or Arid Extra Dry spray

They both use magnesium to prevent perspiration. Just try not to stuff your hands into your mouth after you apply it.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
yesterday:

pushups
3x25 normal stance
3x5 narrow
1x10 wide

situps
2x35
1x30

pullups
3x6
2x5

step ups
2x30

today

ohp
3x85#
5x105#
5x115#
3x135#

dl
3x245#
5x295#
5x345#
3x395#

bench
3x135#
5x165#
5x185#
3x215#

squat
3x205#
5x245#
5x285#
3x325#

2-3 minute rest between all sets

7 minute rest

10-8-6-4-2 of:
double db clean and press 45# dbs
situps
renegade rows 15# dbs
squats 135#
30 second rest between sets

15 minutes rest
500m warmup jog
3x300m uphill intervals w/ 300m walk back to start as rest
500m cool down jog

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 3, 2013

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Quit talkin' 'bout college in here, yah nerds. Just kidding.

For pt today, I'm going to an ice hockey tryout for a team that travels around, playing games to raise money for various veteran organizations. I have only played 2 times in the past 7 years, so what could possibly go wrong?

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
So I may have torn my meniscus.

More to follow when I go get xrays tomorrow.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Got x-rays today. Nothing is broken which is good, so I have to schedule a MRI this week and that could take up to 2 weeks to get.

pt:
1 rounds:
eat taco bell
22 seconds

new pr time

PS: Thanks Coach Bombay.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Use arid xtra dry pit spray or foot powder, and get sock liners. The spray/powder will keep your feet dry, and the liners will reduce friction. Also file down your calluses like once or twice a week after a foot bath, so if and when you do get a blister, it'll be a lot smaller and not as deep.

e: Check out getting replacement insoles too. I use these: http://www.amazon.com/Sof-Sole-Athlete-Cushion-Insole/dp/B002VEGMRS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376350185&sr=8-1&keywords=sof+insole

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Nice job Kaliber. I'm sure you'll get that run time down no problem. I had a hard time breaking 80 sit-ups for a while, but doing short intervals like with running helped me really get my pacing down, so you may want to give it a try if you're interested. Doing as many countable GOOD reps in 20 seconds then taking a 10 second break and repeating for up to 4-8 sets. Once I started hitting 15+ reps per set I was pretty much golden on my 2 minute times.

KNEEWS:

Got meniscus repair surgery 10 days ago, and I walked for the first time in 2.5 weeks today. took like 1 minute to get from my bedroom to the kitchen :laffo:. The good news is that they were able to repair it, but it is going to take longer to heal than if they removed the torn chunk. Being lazy loving sucks and is boring as poo poo, but at least school starts next week. Here's to tripping in chem lab and spilling chemicals all over the place.

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Aug 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Probably shin splints or a stress fracture. Start icing it in the mean time and get xrays done.