Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

vulturesrow posted:

I ate like 30 wings last night. Today I could feel the protein coursing through my veins while I benched. BEEFCAAAAKE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Whip Slagcheek posted:

17 reps all at once? At 425? :stare:

This is way more impressive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBwOQ8fz6s4

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

ElMaligno posted:

North and south position is one thing layer of clothing away of being a 69.

Plz dont shame my protein gain method.

Not efficient at all.
Probably burn more than you earn.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I'm not denying that cardio is good for you but running loving blows and there's a million other ways to get your heart rate up like doing buttloads of cocaine

Trudat

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Nwabudike Morgan posted:

for a dude that has no access to a gym right now, how do I get a relatively swole upper body? lower body is already strong enough imho

Check out "convict conditioning"
I've been using it as a supplementary workout to weights and gradually flipping over to doing 80% bodyweight workout 20% weights.
I'm gonna do a three month body weight deal using its recommended progression... Maybe one day a week of weights just because tho'

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
anybody have any experience dealing with adhesions on the biceps? I've been doing stretching, eccentrics, scraping them with a butter knife and such(which helps actually), but looking to see if anybody else has any ideas...
I apparently was going a little to excess on pullups (over and under bar) plus some other stuff...

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Partially torn bicep. gently caress off shoveling.

Lol.
I'm dealing with a tear in bicep belly since August; tendons are okay but there is a "pocket" in biceps center.
At least you didn't have a heart attack.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

vulturesrow posted:

Honestly I dont even know what to say to Whip if "the stranger" isn't already part of his repertoire.

Problem solved

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

These are great if you didn't already know about them

Merrell Men's Trail Glove 3 Trail Running Shoe, Black/Light Grey, 11.5 M US https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KZOBTCO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_AAPTwbWNMTY02

I have the last version/model. best hybrid of shoe/minimalism IMO

These are the tits; also can vouch for the vapor gloves...

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

being huge is a liability when people are shooting at you. so dont get shot at mustang

I work with a guy who is a army NG dude who's kinda big(muscle under fat but tall too)
He changed mos from MP to Infantry (light fighter too I think) so I'm looking forward to him complaining about ruining his knees

I've switched over pretty much entirely to BW workouts with occasional weights to supp.

My joints feel better and I still can lift as much

I'm using Paul Wades "Convict Conditioning" book as a guide and working up to the harder stuff

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

vulturesrow posted:

I downloaded an excerpt after I read your post. The intro chapter is definitely a bit self-aggrandizing and the author goes off on some poo poo that I hate, i.e., bodybuilding strength isn't functional strength which is utter bs. However if the routines work I'm down to try it as weightlifting is getting a little stale for me. Any additional thoughts?

I half read the fluff in between actual workout stuff
The routines seem pretty solid
Joint pain and tendonitis issues seem to be alleviated with the BW workouts
It's nice needing nothing other than a pull-up bar and a basketball too to get a good workout

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

vulturesrow posted:

I haven't read the actual workout program yet. My understanding after reading some reviews is that each exercise progression starts with some really basic stuff, like wall push-ups. Did you just jump to the level you felt like you could manage our did you start at the beginning of each progression?

Jumped to the level I felt comfortable with; and supplement the workout by doing sets of the next lower level as a drop set in effect.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
Yay, torn labrum in right shoulder plus nerve stuff causing denervation in some muscles... prolly surgery bound.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Internet Wizard posted:

Hey my physical therapist told me yesterday the painful popping in my hip is probably labrum damage, high five crappy surgery buddy

Cyst on nerve...

Next to the tear in labrum. The lighter muscle shows edema which goes hand in hand with weakness and atrophy from de-enervation.

4-6 weeks in a sling, 4-6 weeks after that til full use....

Won't be able to run, lift, work really... sucks.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

elite_garbage_man posted:

e_g_m's blog o' sweat

I think i hosed both of my shoulders making diving saves this season. deefinitely seems weak when i do side lateral stuff, and when i do pushups/ohp i seem to be off kilter. strength hasn't gone though.

Get it checked out asap.
I think if I had when I first had issues a year plus ago I wouldn't be looking down the barrel of a surgery with 2-3 months of recovery time.
I don't have weakness per se, but the pain can go 0-10 then back to 0. The nerve thing is the wildcard...
Now I'm just doing (hot) yoga once or twice a week, some (now pre-op) PT, and isometric stuff at home when watching tv, etc... FWIW haven't lost much strength after going on two months with way less strength training, but not looking forward to being "all left" post surgery for a while.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Unceremoniously dumped by my ex halfway through mobilization

Time to channel my frustration into gains, so I can rebound college pussy for 2 years when I get back with a vengeance. gently caress dude.

May wanna rethink your strategy

https://www.google.com/amp/www.newsweek.com/why-dad-bod-physique-future-sexual-selection-515427%3Famp%3D1

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

elite_garbage_man posted:

an even better way would be to sign up for a beginning swim class at a local college or get some individual instruction from a friend or pro. learn you some technique.

In '01 before I enlisted in the Navy I thought Navy=Swimming a bunch and I was a doggy paddler at best
The GF at the time was a former triathlon bunny and basically taught me how to swim "right".
I went from piss poor to being able to do like 50 laps in a few weeks of swimming almost every day
I learned that poor technique makes swimming super exhausting and as soon as I got it down things improved drastically
Then I went to RTC and swam like twice
The end.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Kawasaki Nun posted:

How long day do you spend thinking about breathing?

I'll take my answer during solar death.

I just got the rhythm down of blowing out the air every other stroke with face in water, iirc... I think the idea was to get the cardio to the point where you breath evenly and inhale every few strokes on the crawl.

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
Out of surgery Monday for tear in inferior posterior labrum and paralabral cyst(which had apparently started to decomp on its own, so i dunno if I would've done the surgery knowing that) and somewhat functional finally. Right arm in a sling all locked down. Doing some super light kettle bell on left side and air squats/lunges...
Not much energy, I've got a long road but a few days ago i was feeling like death...

Into season 5 of trailer park boys...

Reminded me of some weirdness i came across while running a yr or two ago... went by the local low rent trailer park and saw a trailer park hottie (10/10 trailer park, maybe 7/10 college girl ) seriously working a pair of nunchucks in her front yard. Skinny jeans, cut off sleeveless hoodie and trucker ball cap. Looked like the kinda girl you could rob gas stations with :allears:

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Aranan posted:

I'm a lovely weak baby.

Had surgery that kept me from doing anything active for two months, then went on terminal leave and enjoyed sleeping in and being lazy, then moved across the country for a new job. Finally made some time to hunt down a local gym and get back at it after almost 7 months and it loving sucks to struggle with weights I used to warm up with. I wasn't even very strong before, either.

Whatever. Gotta start (back) somewhere I guess.

I had shoulder surgery for a torn labrum 13 weeks ago... I'm in PT and still have a ways to go before I'm back to heavy duty body weight workouts... every time my PT lets me bump weight up 5 or 10 lbs during therapy I get a little chub and giggle... look at it (recovery) as a chance to try to do things right coming back up, as far as form, nutrition (easier said than done, I'm about to order carnitas tacos for dinner), and building yourself up in an even balanced way...this was two or three weeks post surgery when the bandage came off(silver skin)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Aranan posted:

Gnarly. Hope it's healing well for you. Mine was jaw/skull cutting and realignment, so luckily it wasn't due to an injury and doesn't directly affect movements. I just had to take it easy to make sure the screws/plates didn't pop and I didn't rupture my sinuses and bleed out, which I was told could happen if I pushed myself. Pretty good way for the docs to ensure I rest.

This is what happened to the upper jaw. Basically had my face skinned. A+, highly recommend (not really).

This looks like a Gorillaz album cover...