Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
Everyone gets a title or we lose it next year

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Prod
The problem with Crossfit is that it is pretty much retarded dangerous if you do the recommended main site WODs. Just google Crossfit slap tear, or blown achilles and look for yourself. That is not to say that some of the privately owned crossfit gyms don't have good coaches that implement smart programming. However remember all that is required to be a crossfit "coach" is a one weekend course that cost a thousand dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

smertrioslol posted:

Pretty much this. I can run forever if I'm in the mood for it. Or I'll say gently caress it and bow out after a mile. I need to stop saying gently caress it.

Anyone have a good marathon running plan? Assume I'm in miserable distance running shape, but I can do a 10k if I really had to. Every time I Google this poo poo the websites want me to pay for it, or are super vague. I'm tempted to sign up for the new York sports club to get their plan, and to have a better shot of getting in the marathon.

There are literally a million such plans for free, you can check the running thread in ylls for links. However what are your goals finish, or meet some time goal? If your goal is just to finish I would say that most of the plans you will find will have you running a lot more miles than you need to.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

smertrioslol posted:

Yeah, I just read some ylls threads about it. I mostly just want to finish one, as I primarily strength train, and it seems almost unattainable to me. I did a half and wanted to die.

I would reccomend a 3 day a week plan that includes sprints medium run and long run. The medium run would start at around 4 -5 miles and increase to 8 or 9 max at a pace around 1min/mile slower than your two mile pace. The long run should be done on a saturday and start at around 1hr/6 miles which ever is shorter and increase 1-2miles/10-20 minutes a week after that until you hit 22 miles or 4 hours. This should be paced out over 12 - 16 weeks depending on current level of fitness. This is pretty much what I do and I have finished distances of up to 50miles on this kind of training. Not very fast but without injury and or feeling like I was going to die the following day. If you are lifting I would limit squats/deadlifts to Monday only during the buildup to the marathon because the extra running will severly affect your ability to recover from the lifts. If you PM your email I can send you a couple different spread sheets of my build ups to various distances. Also you shouldn't try any of this if you can not already run 20 miles a week without injury.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

Not only is Crossfit gay, but all of the overhead pushing mixed with the time component which leads to severely degraded form and leads to SLAP tears. Which will pretty much end your career.

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

xwonderboyx posted:

That said, the "certification" process is a complete joke and any chucklefuck can become a crossfit trainer and open their own gym.

This is my major problem with crossfit. Also the guys who are put in charge of PT call it crossfit and program the any rear end in a top hat workouts with no thinking or pre-planning whatsoever about the goal of the workout. People think that just because you feel smoked means it is a good workout when in fact it is just the opposite especially when you subject yourself to it everyday. Eventually the body builds up enough stress hormones to prohibit recovery to the point of injury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

faddypaddy
Sep 3, 2011

I think he means 15 minute two mile. Or else he is 60 years old.