Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I was a nice 7% bodyfat in November but since the snow came I'm up ~10-15lbs. Any good winter workouts to replace daily runs? Gym time alone isn't cutting it like it used to.

Should I just accept the winter weight and bulk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

My gym has a pool, I'll try it out - thanks!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

My gym is pretty funny because around 5 PM there's the soccermom crowd, the gymbros in hoodies and waaay too many moto regimental PT shirts.

Is skipping rope worthwhile for a warm-up before lifting?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cut to 9% bodyfat, not sure where to take it from here. I'm training for competitive rowing but that won't start in earnest until July. I usually start dedicated rowing training in April so I have a month to kill. Are there any interesting or different workout plans that won't cause any big bulks or cuts?

188cm, 85 kilos if that helps.

e: Thanks for the advice or swimming and skipping, lost the winter weight easily enough.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Just wanted to thank everyone here for the good posts, it's helped me push the envelope in training.

I can ruck with about 100lb 30k no problem but things fall apart after that. If I wanted to train harder so I could jog or go further with more weight, what should I do? I really don't want to blow out my knees being a dumbass on my own time.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I was genuinely surprised how many calories were coming from pop and coffee drinks. Goddamn.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I'm doing 36 weeks of SF selection prep on top of the mandatory track and rowing workouts. 6 weeks in, it's going surprisingly well. Rucking in the winter is balls though.

I got selected for Invictus, so I think I might as well go all-out.

http://breakingmuscle.com/train/phase-1-special-forces-prep-structural-balance-strength-aerobic-base

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I'm trying to push through a SF Prep Plan to keep myself busy during the winter. The weights and runs are no problem, but I'm dying on the swims. Does anyone have advice on how to get through this? Should I pause until I build those swimming skills? How does an adult get better at swimming anyways?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

That's a pretty good idea. To be honest, I'm embarrassed and mad at myself. It's a gruelling plan but I've built skill and confidence in everything except swimming.

I think I will take some classes.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Is there a trick to treading water with a brick?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Front squat kills me, you guys are really showing me up on that one.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Is it a problem with the front rack itself or just not enough lower body mobility to sink it? There's a ton of poo poo you can use to attack any weak points from multiple angles.

I can't get the bar to balance horizontally. I've seen people bend their arm over itself to have the hands and shoulders in contact, but I have to cross my arms over my chest and stick my elbows up and it's wobbly.

The other issue, as you said is that once my pelvis is around knee height I have a hard time rising up from there.

It seems like a good workout but I'm doing an embarrassingly low amount of weight compared to my regular squats.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I'll try it out. Thanks!

I also signed up for adult swimming lessons, and got funding approved for a road bike. Should be a busy week.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I've never ridden with traffic before and my city is notorious for cyclists getting smoked, despite having a good number of bike lanes. My general idea is to get into cycling on the bike paths and side streets and only make the move to streets when I'm good.

Between swimming and cycling I'm starting to feel like I missed the boat when I was a kid.

The plus side is that I've cut 5% bodyfat, so the exercise and nutrition are coming together.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

How are you measuring your progress? If you keep strength training your weight might stay around the same while your bodyfat goes down.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Agreed. Half of fitness is nutrition, especially if you're measuring by the mirror. Cardio, caloric reduction and a protein heavy diet will change your looks and you'll still be building strength with the weights.

Besides all the bro science about macros, protein makes you feel full which is a big deal if you're struggling with that.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

DownByTheWooter posted:

yes but literally none of this addresses the simple fact that fatness is a moral failing and that I should be ashamed to be in public until I've lost 20 pounds or so

Comedy Option: EC Stack or whatever the latest flavour of Hydroxycut is, probably Pro Clinical Hardcore Premium.

Basically though it will have to be that incremental stuff. Luckily beach season is a long time away and those slow changes add up!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

How did you find yoga?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

DownByTheWooter posted:

lol I've done the squat bench row workout three times in a row now its may favorite so screw you

That's solid. What I've done to warm up for it is curl and military press on the squat rack too. If you have a similar rack, there's also handholds to do chin-ups.

If you like working those muscles and want to add some cardio, a 500m row on the erg gives you some variety.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I'm on Team Canada for Invictus 2017. I think I'll try to get from 14 to 21 hours of training a week or more.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I just qualified for the national track and field championships in July. I really wasn't ready for all this.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I'm up to 7500 cal a day since I qualified for national championships. Try eating small meals throughout, I'm constantly trying to maintain that energy balance.

I usually find time to eat in transit or when I'm doing cooldowns. It's murder on the grocery bill though.

Frosted Flake fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 13, 2017

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

First overall Canadian in my sports during Invictus.

Back to training today. I managed to injure both quad tendons, IT bands and hip flexors.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Pesticide20 posted:

Congrats dude, that's pretty baller

Thanks. The Dutch guy in my heat ran Olympic time, which was amazing to see but it was rough getting smoked like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I’m doing the SF Prep section from the fitness manual and ended up doing 200 lunges yesterday, squatting today. My quads are burning.