Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Ashmole posted:

Took my record for ABOLC today. Almost the same score: 74 push-ups, 90 sit-ups, and a 15:15 run. 274 total. I mean, it's not terrible considering the quality of PRT and skipped workouts due to field time.

I think I should slow down on the sit-ups because my legs always feel weird on the run. Anyone got some good running tips? I'm one of those thin, in shape looking people that sucks at running.

Why the devil do you keep doing sit ups after they stopped meaning anything?

To be helpful though, that feeling in your legs, you're probably feeling it in front, up towards your hips? Hip flexors. I'm one of those poor bastards that doesn't use abs to do situps, it's nothing but hip flexors. Ruinis my run nearly the whole first mile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Martello posted:

Holy gently caress how true this is. First run since going on leave today, not as bad as I expected despite the weather. I decided it was a good idea to go out in 10-15 degrees with shorts, a jacket, hat and gloves. My legs were cold as gently caress until the end of the first mile, when they went numb so it was all good I guess. The road was icy as gently caress and barely anyone else was running and certainly not in shorts.

fortdrum.txt

You need to never, ever, EVER do this again just in case some stupid rear end in a top hat wants out hooah you, and have his platoon run along in tighty wighties and eyepro, because he has more hooah or whatever the gently caress.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Oh my gently caress, I think I know this travesty. I've seen the picture ages ago, but the dude lost some weight so he looks different, but I'm like 80% sure I know this guy.

Anyone ever get an ID on him or who he was with?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Ah well, false alarm. Dude I knew was active (heh) duty, and a fat useless gently caress. Looks just like that fucker though. I remember he had to go to a court martial hearing (not his own, surprisingly), and hadn't worn his ASUs since basic, many years ago. They had no hope of fitting, so off he went to military sales, picked the biggest loving size they had, and pushed his fatbody self into them. The resulting amalgam of textile and man resembled a pear shoved into a blueberry.

Disgusting.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Wake up a bit early. One red bull, one small gatorade. 2 x 800mg motrin with naproxen to taste.

Breakfast cocktail of PT champions.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Sounds like the Manchu Mile dick is reaching out to touch some people.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I've had differing reports. One post I was at the dude said it was Mickey Mouse bullshit, but he was a disgustingly fit dude. Here at Benning I'm told it's some hard core poo poo, but by people who are not super, super fit and also love cross fit.

Even if it's just army bullshit though it's probably what you want to do as ranger school is just gonna be more army bullshit but with a different flavor.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Actually, best I've ever done on runs was in Korea after a night of drinking beer.

Not hungover, jesus christ, but with a semi-solid buzz going on. I figured something about carbohydrates or whatever.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

holocaust bloopers posted:

I might take up boxing. Boxing seems cool although I would want to avoid having my face beat in by a 135 lb mexican kid.

You can do the actual boxing training part without actually fighting with anyone.

Or maybe you want to just punch some dude's in the face, which is cool, but the workouts are hard as gently caress and not horribly damaging which is awesome. So don't feel the need to go against the flyweight champion of the corner block or anything.

Downside: you may get laughed at behind your back for being a pussy.

Upside: you won't get parkinson's.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Ashmole posted:

Dropping a Ranger packet. Pre-Ranger on 02 August. Oh poo poo. What am I getting into? Running like a mofo...

Be prepared to starve. Ranger graduations look like Auschwitz reunions.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

elite_garbage_man posted:

So I may have torn my meniscus.

More to follow when I go get xrays tomorrow.

Will a meniscus tear even show up on x-ray? I thought that was an MRI thing.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I see the babby LTs coming through BOLC, and the amount of loving running they do, yeah, you should try and be as lean as possible to save your joints from the idiocy of all that running.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I dug up an army publication on the reduction of physical training injuries, and it was way back in 1990. And it basically boiled down to HOLY gently caress STOP RUNNING SO MUCH.

I think someone else found an earlier one, from '82 or so that said exactly the same thing, and mentioned something along the lines of combat arms being "hair-brained".

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Recovery time is normal twice the length of profile, up to 90 days.

You should just be able to take one in the recovery period, with the usual bullshit caveat "if you fail, well, that one was a diagnostic".

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Ha ha, jokes on you. No soldier, we're not gonna use this time to ramp you back up, you're gonna get the nuts smoked off you and in all likelihood end up back on profile because of lack of heart, or some other buzzword that reminds me of the time that sergeant major stuck his dick in my mouth.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I'd go for shin splints. But it could be either. One of the key signs of either shin splints or stress fracture is that as your legs warm up from exercise, they get worse.

Good lord can they get worse. Really, don't try and run through them, because you won't.

In the mean time, if it is shin splints, old man greenmeat offered up some motherfucking awesome advice on how to help get rid of them, and stop them happening again. Sit down in a chair, a towel flat on the round in front of you. Put your feet on the towel, and then pull the towel in towards you with just your toes.

poo poo is magical.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Correct. If you like to stretch your legs out as much as possible, like me, you'll feel it in your hip flexors. Closer together, and you're more likely to feel it in your abs.

This also has to do with your body build, and the gently caress nut holding your feet. Some will hold your toes, some will hold your ankles, some are limp dick little twinks who can't hold poo poo, and some have ADHD and keep switching their grip. Also, your body build comes into account as well. Also, ham string flexibility, and the flexibility of your spine. And throw the weight balance between your torso and legs into the mix.

Basically, situps are supposed to test muscular endurance of your core, and for most people do no such thing.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, for the army think 1940's era calisthenics, which was modernized a few years back too include some Jazzercise, with no real warm ups or cool downs that have any real effectiveness. And then running. Lots, and lots of running. And then rucking. All of these things which then add up into an injury fueled nightmare, despite medical saying NO NO DEAR GOD STOP THAT poo poo PLEASE but no one is ever held accountable so it will continue until the end of time.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, try and avoid running on the hardest surface you could possibly find. It's not terrible once in a while, but it's gonna wear you down eventually if you do it constantly.

If you can't find grass, go to a gym and use the treadmill. Despite looking like a reasonably hard surface, the machines give a little and I find them to be pretty easy on my knees. A lot loving better than concrete or asphalt.

Start off slow. As slow as you need to. If you can only do 5 kph for a single km, then gently caress it, there's your starting point. Once you feel reasonably comfortable with it, increase your distance. Once you're comfortable with that, a little bit more. Once you get to the target distance for your test that you are taking, then start lifting your speed. If you feel that you aren't getting a real workout then raise the distance again.

There aren't any real hard and fast rules with getting better at running except for these: Take it easy with the increases. Don't get all boner motarded about it, just increase slowly. And don't run everyday, once every 3 days is plenty. And the last one: running is gay. If you don't keep up your running schedule you will lose speed and distance really quick.

Oh, and running when still drunk from the night before will get your some awesome times.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
6 minutes is pretty goddamn fast.

5 is beyond my comprehension.

You need to put down the bong if you think 4 is an option.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Just picked up a guy in our platoon who ran a 10 min 12 seconds his last PT test. We figured it had to be bullshit, or a typo or some drat thing.

Came in at 10 minutes 15 seconds.

The hosed up thing is he doesn't even look like he's all that tired afterwards. It makes me want to hurt him.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I'll need my car.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I think when the army went to that... gently caress, was it called, the row? It was supposed to be in the new PT test like 2 years ago? It was because about 50 years of data and the army finally said "lol situps are really fuckin' bad for you lol lol lol"

And then proceeded to continue with situps.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Weren't we all :(

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, that could be anything from just plain old runner's knee, all the way through chondromalacia.

You don't want that.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Most times I went to sick call was in Korea for DFAC food leaving my body. At really high speeds at very low viscosity.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Unless you got a boner for rubbing up on dudes, bjj is probably not gonna do your back any favors.

Something similar and probably not as likely to wreck your back is kickboxing. I've noticed that there's a lot of kickboxing gyms in the US where getting in the ring is super rare and it's mostly just pounding away at dudes with focus and kick pads. poo poo like that is basically an hour of interval training and not dumb and gay like stupid army poo poo.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, don't run on Mondays. No one in the history of running or the military has ever liked running on a Monday, and if they do then they hate themselves and the people they are in charge of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Instead of loaded mags you could jump on amazon seller Small Parts and get literal lead bar. Or tungsten or whatever.