Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Tysterisk posted:

Starting PT Monday with an overenthusiastic 1SG after a month of not running in Reception, who wants to bet on how fast my shin splints come back and I'm on profile (again)?

gently caress distance running forever, gently caress formation running forever squared, vive la... Uh... Sprint training.

Reception? Are you posting from BCT?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

What's the difficulty level? Sounds like an interesting challenge and fun way to get some PT in.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Veins McGee posted:

ahahahah what a ripoff. You paid $400 for a $50 PX daypack.

This pack is $400 and worth every penny.
http://www.mysteryranch.com/military/assault-patrol-packs/satl-assault-pack

I have a Camelbak Trizip which is essentially a licensed (And much cheaper in price) clone of the Mystery Ranch assault pack. Fantastic bag on account of the frame that Mystery Ranch designed. Do these Goruck bags even have a real frame?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I consistently stay 5-12 pounds under my screening weight and there are only a handful of fat people in my company. In my brigade though, I recall seeing some guy at AT last Summer that had to be over 300 pounds at maybe 6' tops. :wtc:

Reminded me of this guy: although he had a pedostache if I remember right. I mean, I don't give a poo poo if someone is slightly chubby yet still generally fit overall but when you get to the point of being morbidly obese?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I think the patch on the guy on the left is WAARNG, 81st BCT according to Wikipedia.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

xwonderboyx posted:

I'm too fat for pullups :negative:

I can only do like 5-6 un-assisted. :saddowns:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

What about doing lateral pulldowns on a machine after we do our pathetic 4-6 pullups?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

It's also delicious.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

What are you doing for HIIT workouts? I hate indoor cardio and only doing it for 5-10 minutes is highly appealing.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I really need to learn more about weight lifting. Pretty much my workout that isn't running sucks and consists of sets of diamond push-ups, rowers, pull-ups, various plank holds along with a few random dumbbell excercises. I don't care about being swole, my only interest is overall fitness (strength, injury prevention, not being fat) and doing better on the APFT.

Also for HIIT, how do you gauge effectiveness? I use a HRM and my HR during fast intervals is > 175, sometimes up to 190ish which is above 85% for my age. Since it's cold and icy outside I've been setting the treadmill to 10% incline and running at 8-9 mph (which is the equivalent of running a much faster pace on level ground, 5-6 minute mile AFAIK) for 30 seconds and walking for 1 minute. After the first 3 repetitions I'm feeling pretty lovely.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I've done the stripped 5x5 program that was popular in W&W back in the day which was dead lifts, squats, bent over rows, pull-ups, military press and bench press so I'm generally comfortable with those movements, although gently caress squats forever. I understand the point behind compound lifts but all the strange isolation exercises I see people do, I don't know what the gently caress.

Unfortunately my school's gym is cramped and only has one power cage and a few Smith machines which I've always been told are worthless for squats. Plenty of benches for everything else though.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Around 50 SU/PU and 14:40-15:30 seems to be an average run for me. Although I am in the 27-31 age group. Mediocre.

I dunno about sit-ups (which is why I've been using the rower because it isolates abs, one would think hip flexors are worked out from cycling/running) but my push-up endurance is terrible. Honestly, I think my form hurts me there because I go chest to floor on every rep when I don't have to.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 25, 2013

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

So I started stripped 5x5 yesterday. Any suggestions on iPhone apps for keeping track of lifts?

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 28, 2013

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Kaliber posted:

This!!!
That's what I use for my work outs. Blast internet radio, get my timer up for my 45second rest breaks, and get notes to record my poo poo with my prewritten work out.

My APFT was a failure. My friend and I who both just came back from mission did about the same (He's a better runner than me and way stronger. But I'm smaller and leaner.) I did 76pu, 68su, 16:18 on my run. He did 73pu, 74su, 16:00 run.

Still sore from doing legs earlier this week, did chest but i don't think it made me too sore nor did back. Skipped out on arms last night because I wasn't sure how I was going to do and went to Hooters for all you can eat wings night instead with my team before they go back to their home base. I went down about 20 points since my last PT test but not too bad considering I came back from a 2 month mission this weekend still heavily jet lagged and with no cardio. Now I can start on my work out routine. Doing a body builder work out right now and finally can do legs properly with the right equipment. Adding sprints 3x a week so I can get my run down to the low to mid 14's.

Gotta do a PT plan for my team for next month. Thinking about doing that LTC's strength training for his cadets. Does anyone still have that link?

I dunno about a link but I saved the PDF to my desktop when I read it. I can email it to you if you want.

So now that I'm doing stripped 5x5, would it be bad to also do sets of rowers/sit-ups and plank exercises afterwards to further workout my abs/core? Also sprints/HIIT after lifting Y/N?

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 1, 2013

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Really? That's sort of ridiculous.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Kaliber posted:

can you email it to me?

wilson.ly @ gmail.com

Ya, when I get home later. No problem.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Kaliber posted:

can you email it to me?

wilson.ly @ gmail.com

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8359268/apft_strength_whittemore.pdf

Put it up on dropbox in case anyone else wants it.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

My NG MI unit is trying to convince people to do a 28 mile March for the fallen. 28 miles. 35Lb ruck. NG. MI. Also they said I have to and I said gently caress off. I'm not driving four hours so I can march for 8.

Lol what.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah, same here. Being in a BCT MICO != infantry though. Even if you are infantry, I imagine that working up to rucking 28 miles you know, requires some training beforehand.

Honestly though, I'd do it if given time to prepare.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I notice that if I eat a low carb diet to cut weight then eat a bunch of wheat products that I poo poo my brains out afterwards.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

There have been studies of keto diets and AFAIK, most of the issues with them are unfounded.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

MurderBot posted:

Bro it should only take 30 minutes to run 5 miles :smug:

:frogout:

Running slow and long is mostly fun. Like 3-5 miles at a 9ish minute mile pace. Running fast like an APFT is unbearable.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

warsow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8up6A4QesU

Been hitting the gym lately, check my form.

:wtf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I ran a 10k today with basically no training. It's been about a year since I ran over 3-4 miles and I finished in 1:10 or so today. Being fat and old and not caring owns, but I guess I should start running more again because drat is that slow :btroll:

Running feels good as hell even if it somewhat sucks with my permanently damaged ankle (have to wear a brace basically all the time to keep it stable). Give it a shot when it's not the military making you do it.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 22, 2018