Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The military not having a centralized list of banned or prohibited substances is absolutely retarded. How hard would it be for the AF to put up a "List of things you can't take or possess" on af.mil? Instead you are forced to try to get your leadership to determine if something like Efedra is against the rules despite being legal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Verrrry interesting.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
We're going to start throwing a Tabata HIIT workout onto the end of our lifting sessions, focused on the muscle group of that night. I look forward to tearing a rotator cuff.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
that give you easy access to they vagina

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Crossfit is loving dumb as the main workout type. Lift weights.

Just did shoulders (after taking a percocet a couple hours prior), pretty sure tomorrow is going to suck because I wasn't feeling pain and now it's hard to use my arms.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Just do HIIT dude, you will lose it.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've only ever done the sprinting method but I'm going to start the Tabata method in a month or so apparently. I think the Tabata Method is preferable though: 20 seconds of front squats, 10 seconds of rest, rinse and repeat for 8 cycles (4 minutes). If you aren't throwing up or near to it you are doing it wrong.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I took it at 9PM and worked out at 2AM. So 5 hours, not a couple. I woke up from my opiate-haze-nap just prior to going to the gym, it didn't feel that long, SUE ME.

It was on the outside edge of it, so it just numbed a bit of the burn. It was actually a really solid morning at the gym. Shoulders is my most important workout for the look I'm trying to achieve.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Christoff posted:

5 hours isn't long enough.

I'm just saying man working out with any kind of pain-reliever is a bad idea. Especially if you already have an injury.

Do whatever you want, I guess.

Oh for real? I just felt a little lazy when I woke up. I don't have an injury though, I'm aight. My bad, I figured 5 hours was enough, I stop feeling effects after 3 or so.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
When you do HIIT you need to really be at full aerobic capacity. If you absolutely must do it on the same day you lift, do it at the end of your work out. Don't do it the same day you do cardio, you won't be able to do sprints at 170% vo2 max (or if you're doing Tabata, you won't have the energy to do a full 8 cycles at max repetition rate). From what I have researched on Tabata, you still want to be aiming at about 8-10 reps in that 20 second cycle, so you need to find the weight that allows for that with front squats.

I forget whether you're still in the military or not (I am so bad about this) but if you're not gently caress cardio all together, it is a waste if you ask me.

Just mentally prepare yourself for how much HIIT is going to suck, because it is. Of the first 3 times I did HIIT sprints, I vomited twice. You will also be ravenously hungry afterwards, try to resist that. HIIT puts your body into a fat burning mode (I can't remember the name for this) for the next 24ish hours.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

rockamiclikeavandal posted:

:what:

What is cardio (as we think of it, so running distance, biking, etc) really good for that can't be achieved through other methods? Just lift regularly and intensely. Your muscle will burn fat while you're just chillin', and if you work out correctly (to include stuff like HIIT) you are getting a great aerobic workout.

The Casualty posted:

I'm a reservist and also one of those retards that actually enjoys running.

So I'm doing these front squats with weight? You make it sound like I should but I was envisioning just doing as many as possible without weight.

Yah you front squat with weight, but go really light, it's going to gently caress you up. Let me go to work tomorrow (like 12 hours from now or whatever) and I will find some links to send you. I don't actually like the front squats, I actually like the ones that are more like power cleans but I can't remember the name since I'm all hosed up on sleeping medication.

Enjoying running makes me sick and we can no longer be friends.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Illuminati.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I would love to try some Vibrams but the idea of walking around with toe-shoes on and the ridicule that will/should come with that keeps me from it.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The Paleo people seem to be the same type as the crossfit people. They feel that every other option is so totally inferior that they have to let you know about it constantly.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
THERE IS loving COW BLOOD IN MY SPAGHETTI?

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
If I end up back in Seattle I think I'm going to try to subsist mainly off of fruit juices made that moment in a nice juicer (with protein mixed in) and good sushi. I, too, am sick of eating like poo poo. I did a "juice fast" (for like 4 days) in 2010 and I actually felt amazing during it.

It's going to be hard to do though because I love Thai so much.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hahahahahahaha.

So you either read "Christwire" or you read my post and then Googled "thai food homosex". Not sure which is funnier.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've been consistently going up 20% per week on most lifts, I am wondering when the plateau is going to strike.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Have fun with your kidney failure.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I only get 2 meals a day and my final meal of the day is breakfast, which is notoriously carb heavy. It sucks balls. I have to eat the same 2 things every day.

No dietary variety makes Rrail something something..

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

grover posted:

Still no TV or beer, huh?

It's going to have been something like 255 days before I get to have a beer. Or a girl. There's a very realistic chance that scene plays out in my life.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

smertrioslol posted:

I think a portion of the cash I made on this deployment is going to go to making my own crossfit garage gym. It doesn't look like it would be THAT expensive (especially when you have a large amount of disposable income sitting in your bank account that will probably otherwise go to beer).

Like how much are we talking?

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
DON'T FORGET KETTLE BELLS!!!!

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm going to cut May-August, about 12-14 weeks total immediately before I go back home. It's rough here because the food is loving garbage meant for fat people.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm envious of your situation. I wish there was a goon here with OSC-I so I could constantly remind him how much better my situation is.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kaliber posted:

Running is stupid. The army needs to invent me some robot legs.

I'm sure they will give you the finest VA joint care when your knees are totally shot at 40.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Ok brosephs, time to get some gym etiquette advice... or at least tell you a kind of entertaining story since I'm not sure there's much that can be done:

I think I've posted about it before, or at least talked about it in IRC. I go to the gym at ~1:30AM, where it's totally empty, except my buddy and I, and this group of other bro's (from my company). One of the dudes is pretty nice, I partied with him in Dubai - we call him Lenny because he is enormous, like 6'5" and super jacked, but appears to be possibly pretty simple. One of the dudes is a complete white trash piece of poo poo. We call him "Doublewide", because he's fat as gently caress, has Imaginary Lat Syndrome, and just looks like he's composed primarily of fat and dip. He sounds like an idiot and is always giving Lenny workout advice, even though I can lift more than Doublewide on almost everything and he has almost 100lbs on me. Needless to say I hate this guy for being white trash and also for being an idiot.

Anyways, we've had this ongoing thing with the stereo in there. My buddy and I come in with headsets, but they blast their iPod over the stereo super loud, loud enough that we can't even really talk to one another. We've taken the iPod cable. We've taken 6 different power cords. We have disassembled the stereo and hid it around the room. I'm pretty sure they aren't seeing that because some little Indian dude probably has to put it back together every day. I've walked over and turned it way down a number of times. One time one of the dudes (neither DW or Lenny) came over and and asked "Was that too loud for you?" all confrontational-ly, so of course I was just like "Yah, it was" and went back to doing what I was doing. Tonight we turned it down since we had to be right next to it to do upright rows, and Doublewide came over freaking out, saying "YOU DIDN'T EVEN ASK ME IF YOU COULD TURN IT DOWN", to which I told him "I don't need to ask you for anything", to which he responded "Put your headphones in if you don't want to hear it." My buddy told him to get his own headphones, at which point the guy wandered off muttering (after turning it back up).

While I of course wanted to just turn it back down, getting into a passive aggressive match with this trailer trash retard seems stupid. The only option I see remaining is talking to our management because he refuses to be reasonable and disabling the radio hasn't worked. I would just totally destroy the stereo but that kind of stops me from doing anything else about it in the future. The only other option is getting in there before them (difficult) and playing music that I know they will hate (thinking Mars Volta).

Ideas?

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I don't want to alter my schedule because some fat, stupid, white-trash gently caress wants to play Slayer or whatever garbage metal bro's listen to at the gym really loudly. I'll figure something out.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
This is literally all the excitement I have in my life at this point.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Should I go to the gym with my basketball shorts but then also my normal belt around my waist and gun???? Should I pull it on him?

I just want to not hear his lovely music.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Act like you want to put this all aside and be bros with him. Lace you work out gloves with LSD or whatever psychotropic drug you can get your hands on. Make amends and go in for a bro hug. From there he'll probably have a bad trip and never want to listen to dirt rock again. Just ensure you keep his weapon away from him. Don't need him to shoot at some imaginary demon pixies and accidentally George Lenny. Bonus points if it gets him sent home.

If this is crossing the line I also have a plan that involves a firehose, three Peruvian midgets and 2lbs of milk chocolate.

We do have a lot of Pervuians here, and they are all pretty short.... go on.

gleep glop posted:

Well if you wanted good advice you wouldn't have asked us.

Pretty much.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I never thought for a moment that violence wasn't going to be the answer.

As an aside, contractors are higher on the food chain here than military personnel.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'll just keep repeatedly turning it down until he decides to throw a punch.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Godholio posted:

What about a GS?

They are, of course, equivalent to their military rank and due all the same respect. For instance, a GS-14 would be a Lt. Col equivalent, and they are owed the same customs and courtesies.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Maybe stop being such a sweaty, disgusting freak????

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
A lot of people have them in Iraq and they are knock-offs sold at (I want to say "Haji Shops" because that is literally what they are called even by their owners but one of our mods thinks that is a racist term) the local nation shops on installation. Most people think they are genuine, even though they get them for $70 or whatever. People are beyond retarded. My $40 in ear headphones sound better than those pieces of junk.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'll probably do a cycle or two after I quit working over here.

As an aside, my buddy and I have been doing the "recovery week" thing or whatever, where you go half weight but do 30 reps. It's been worse than a normal workout, the preacher curls were legitimately the most painful thing I've ever done in the gym.

edit; in before someone makes a joke about losing anal virginity in a gym

Rrail fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 11, 2012

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Good problems: I need a tool to punch another hole in my belt, since I'm well past the last one.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Anecdotally, I used to get into arguments with this Captain in our office. He was a fatbody, then deployed to Colombia, and came back a runner. He ran 5+ miles every day. He hated that I couldn't run distance, but we found out at a PT that I could crush him in sprints. When I asked him to name likely/possible scenarios in which you would need to run 5 miles as opposed to 500 feet, he pretty much fell on his face.

Simply put, being fast is much better (in my opinion) than being able to run long. For most people in a combat environment (read: on a FOB), what's going to save your life is how fast you can get to a bunker. I won't dare to speak for people out in the red, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I think a lot of people report that they can do a 1.5m run just fine with interval training. Really the end of the story is that the military is totally retarded about this, and you should get out, if not for your sanity and your career, then for your body.