Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I've noticed that having two beers roughly 2-3 nights during my week has helped me from drinking crazy amounts of booze during the weekend.

That, plus I get scheduled to work nights every god drat Friday, so after being up for 24 hours, the last thing I feel like doing for the rest of my weekend is drinking.

Oh, and am I the only gipper here that likes to bike?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

you guys can keep chugging that haterade on biking being painful. If you invest in a good pair of bike shorts "non wal-mart brand bullshit" then there should be virtually no pain whatsoever when you ride. It's a great way to beat the mundane cardio workout that is running.

Not that I don't enjoy running... poo poo I compete in triathlons, but there's something to be said about running 4 miles around the block, and then next week biking 100 miles up in the mountains of New Mexico on a sunny day...

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Testosterone can be dangerous if you don't cycle correctly. You get a lot of bad side effects from the use of testosterone, however many things such as shrunken testicles, and back acne can resolve on their own. However, bitch tits and severely increased hair growth can be permanent.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Godholio posted:

What's the front near the bottom mean? More towards the interior side if that matters.

How bad are we talking? Do you power lift or run upwards of 30 miles a week? Could be meniscus pain or even a tear.

If you're just a routine working out dude, you probably have something called medial plica syndrome. This'll occur when you start an exercise bout and then roughly 3-4 hours post workout it'll decrease. All you can do for it is just relax it. No real problems except the joint is inflamed, so vitamin motrin is your best best.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Old Man Fancington posted:

Research suggests that Motrin and acetaminophen inhibit protein synthesis in muscle after exercise. Basically it's going to cripple your potential gains.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11832356

based upon maximal doses of both ibuprofen (1,200 MG) and acetaminophen (4,000 mg)
which together is quite a lot, at least for me. If he's having knee pain when he's doing anything he should probably lay off for a while anyways. Not to mention, if he's just now starting to work out, a majority of his gains are going to be from neuromuscular gains and neural motor unit recruitment.

Rrail posted:

I only have 7 months left to whip this bod into shape bros. :smith:

7 months is enough time to get shredded jack rambo ripped brospeh, I'll even be your personal motivator and send you PM's bi weekly to ensure proper motivation.

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 16, 2012

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

heart rate max if you're going by the fox and haskell equation (220-age) is not very accurate. So Rrail you get that fuckin heart rate up there and you keep pedaling until your heart explodes due to massive rip-it ingestion and teryaki beef jerky.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Any of you guys live at Ft. Riley? I need running partners and all of my friends think cardio is for losers.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Whats up Triathlon buddy, hit me up with your workout, i'm all for comparing training sessions with other people.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I think I'm going to go to Casualties Community College and just watch him do yoga :allears:

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Rowing is very good for cardio, but just remember that if you're trying to get better at running or any other form of cardiovascular exercise, there will be an improvement initially if you haven't done much cardio before, but the only way to become very proficient with a specific exercise is by mainly doing that.. Crossover exercises can help improve but not to the degree that training for that exercise/sport would.

and if you're doing it for weight loss then it's pretty badass overall.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

That's the thing, crossfit and these programs that focus on physical fitness can be really beneficial to individuals who want to get good at things like 5k's lifting etc etc.. So crossfit is completely up your alley, poo poo even if you incorporated some of the workouts that involve doing an exercise, running 800M then going back to a certain exercise will help with a 2mile run.

It's only until you get into people who wish to do well at a specific sport... Look at a majority of marathoners or power lifters... They're either strong as gently caress, or fast a gently caress.. They are not the standard of "fit" or even healthy for that matter. Just kind of depends on what you wanna do.

On that note, I ran 6 miles on trails at a 7:28 min/mile pace... I'm going to beat the gently caress out of that time this tuesday to show how loving oorah hooah yut yut god drat pain cave motivated I am to ya'll.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Rrail posted:

What is cardio (as we think of it, so running distance, biking, etc) really good for that can't be achieved through other methods? Just lift regularly and intensely. Your muscle will burn fat while you're just chillin', and if you work out correctly (to include stuff like HIIT) you are getting a great aerobic workout.

Again it's just dependent on goals. if you absolutely despise running or any forms of cardio, then do weight lifting, and vice versa if you hate lifting.

But if your goals are to run a half marathon, lifting weights and running 400M sprints probably wont get you in shape for that... Now granted, everyone's genetics are different, so there are the few choice people who have ridiculous fitness regardless of how much prior training they've had. Cross training or "training for endurance" by methods of HIIT is good to a point, and might prepare you for short bouts of exercise such as the APFT.

If you're here to lose weight/get fit, do what feels right and good. If you're here to be a body builder, lift weights, if you're here to be a pro cyclist, ride a bike.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Anyone else here ever try the paleo diet? I'm currently on day two of it so far, and have almost no problems with hunger or complete cravings of sugars....yet...

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Yikes, intolerable fucks just by personality or the whole "oh you're eating grains? yeah let me tell you something about what grains do to you" guys.

I'm just participating in it for hopeful added benefits to my athletic performance. I am in no way a hater of carbs or dairy for that matter.. Some might say I love dairy....

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Oh, so don't be that guy.. Yeah I'm pretty sure I can do that.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

You would think that we would be more excited about blood pasta had we never saw this before...

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Dehydration can be a common factor with individuals who get headaches while they work out.

I've also heard a few docs say that they've had people who pressed on a nerve in their back when they do squats, which can result in a headache. Did this happen with any of your other exercises? If not, might just be bar position on your back hitting a nerve.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Guys I think after I enlist I'm going to go for the military triathlon team. Will I be cool in the eyes of Goons in Platoons around the globe? It's what i desire.

On second thought I think I'll just drink a lot when I get back in.

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 11, 2012

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Pftt. you people and your weights.

Come talk to me when you want a REAL man's workout.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I'm doing it because it makes my butt curvy.

Actually I've never done Zumba, I swim, Bike, Run... Like a loving Man..
who wears spandex..

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Think of every mile as one thrust during sex.

don't quit after 5 thrusts

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 6, 2012

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Pretty normal. Guys who can run like crazy usually have lovely pushup and situp scores. For the life of me, the best run I've completed "11:30" was met with only 65 situps and 58 pushups.

Can't carry around some ballin' rear end 6 packs when you're running sub 6 minute miles.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

HeyEng posted:

Is creatine even something the DoD pisstests for or even cares about?

Nope. Creatine is pretty harmless unless you're taking massive amounts of it and you're not hydrating. even then, you should have your camelback on at all times during a heat advisory. No excuses.

In other news: i just did 8,000 meters of 400M and 200M sprints. I almost puked up my Honey Noosa Yoghurt...

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

is that combination something you get at Applebees or Chilis?

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

GIP recipe Beatdown: Learn how to fart mustard gas out yer' rear end.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Just depends on what your overall goal is. If you want to get a workout that will make you stronger at doing crossfit, capable of being "okay".. and I mean... mediocre at other sports, then crossfit isn't a bad way to go.

However, if you have the desire to do anything aside from crossfit (sports, body building, power lifting, olympic weight lifting) don't do crossfit.. Or do maybe one supplemental workout a week with it if you're not doing much HIIT anyways/strength training (such as cardio geeks like myself).

just my .02 cents on the subject matter.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

smertrioslol posted:

Just bought a bicycle. Going to see how long I can avoid driving my truck. Which is going to get very difficult once I have to start traveling 13 miles to work once my R&R is over.

get ready for the rock hard most solid swole taint in your life

taint bro's 4 lyfe.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

if you want to start out feeling less like a homosexual roadie, I recommend a pair of cycling shorts. When you realize how much fun cycling is and how you don't want a swollen taint, you'll upgrade to bib shorts.

There's a breakthrough timeframe for the soreness though. It takes a good week of dedicated riding to get into a good groove essentially. Once you get past that point, you should be pretty pain free the rest of the time.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

No, the statistics are based on the NHANES survey which evaluated age groups from like 20-29 30-39 and so on, which has shown increases in obesity with different age groups. Obesity in children has also dramatically increased as well. A large portion of the fat assness does stem from older individuals, but as a nation, all age groups are getting bigger.

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 15, 2012

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

This is the data as of last year's BFRSS analysis *public health poo poo*

http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html#baseline

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

pro hormones aren't all that great, unless you take a huge load of them. All they do is de-methylate the compound and sell it. the bioavailability after metabolism I believe is like 10-20% potency of the actual steroid.

I've heard people say they got small-ish gains from pro hormones that were similar to deca durabolin, but once you got off the "cycle" he lost pretty much any strength that he gained from it.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

front squats are amazing if they're done correctly, and are more quad dominant than back squats. When done correctly it's actually much safer for your back than a regular back squat since you're posture is correct to support axial loading. Not to say back squats are bad, but if you end up having bad form with a back squat you can finish the set, while if you lean forward or bend on front squats, you end up (or should end up) dumping the weight.

Not to mention, they require more core stabilization, so it'll get your core rock solid brah.

No real reason not to do them unless you have some quad injuries that could flare up, or you're wanting to blast your glutes.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

You'll get more out of a back squat for increases with deadlifts. Front squats are good isolation, stabilization and core exercises, and they are incredibly useful for the olympic weight lifter, who essentially does a front squat off of the clean, as well as the snatch.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

At least you guys are allowed to do squats.. I have to do body weight squats.... :(

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

The only good supplements are the one's from pharmaceutical companies, or China, Taiwan, Russia...

And, as posted above, NO Xplode... because nothing is better than making your rear end explode poo poo in a toilet before a race...

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

South park and the smugness of hybrid drivers is about the equivalent to runners and minimalists. Although to be fair I've run in five fingers, and I compete in Newton racing flats.. and they are pretty comfortable.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

From the talk I've overheard it's all based upon HOW you're doing it. An individual who's incline benching 120lb dumbbells in his hand probably cannot safely drop the weight without a form of injury, and clanking weights is going to happen with individuals doing specific exercises.

But when Joey McWeakQuads gets to the leg extention and is clanking 40 pounds of pure steel grunting his rear end off, it's kind of frowned upon. YMMV I guess. K-State Rec staff doesn't give a gently caress if you're slamming around mean weight, but they get annoyed when you hang clean and press the 10 pound rubber weights and drop it, when it's clear that your body can safely and slowly transfer it back down to the floor.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I think you become a douche if you say "hey bro you do know that your 5x5 method is completely not functional strength buiding and you oughta look into this thing they call :smug: high..intensity :smug: It's kind of a big deal, and you know, we can totally get our WOD on.

Oh uh hey I saw you running in those asics and I wanted to let you know you're setting your feet up for failure because uh... you're not running on minimalist shoes.. Yeah you see you need to go back to the paelolithic times and understand that your body :smug: wants to run on barefeet :smug: Excuse me, I need to tell those people over there the same thing.. It's such a crazy world we live in.

on an unrelated note: Does anyone here compete in cyclocross events? let alone cycle?

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I think crossfit is okay for the individual that wants to lose weight or wants to get better at crossfit. But No, crossfit won't make you an olympic class athlete, just a good crossfitter. I did it for about two weeks, didn't feel like paying for it, and now I just go to a gym and make my own workouts that's specific to my sport.

P.S Fran is lame if you Kip and only real men do Fran with standard pullups.

Nice and hot piss fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Rev 3 nutrition is amazing and fully loaded with NATURAL INGREDIENTS like Honey! and you know, scientifically created taurine and other poo poo.