Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

BULLETS CURE ISLAM posted:

Some epic fails in there mate

this

DB squeeze press feels like it hits your chest hard. It's goofy as hell getting into the starting position but they're a nice change of pace from BB bench.

Whats a good replacement for DB/BB incline press? I'd prefer to do something with DBs.

vains fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

Uroboros posted:

Been gay for Crossfit for about three years now. From what I've seen it won't really make you huge if getting swole is your goal, but if you're big man by nature it will keep you nice and cut at your natural size.
This is meaningless. What is a person's 'natural size'?

Unrelated: Farted in the gym today. It smelled super bad and lingered forever because of the heat/humidity. Using a new brand of brotein always makes me fart like a motherfucker for a few days.

vains
May 26, 2004

Internet Wizard posted:

I figure at least one bro in here will have useful advice in here for me.

I'm aiming to get a NROTC (marine option) scholarship next fall, but right now my PFT score is just sad. I'm decent enough at the crunches, and shouldn't have an issue getting them close to 100 by next year. The worst thing is the pull-ups, though. I can get like 3 or 4 in a set before I have to start cheating to get any more reps in.

I've already got a dedicated back day where I do 3 or 4 sets of as many reps possible of pull-ups, and also do 3x10 lat pulldowns (at around 75lbs. for these with good form). I've also started throwing in pull-ups on my other gym days too, but usually only one or two sets.

Does this seem like a good plan, just keep working at it, or is there something you guys would recommend changing/adding? I'd get a pull-up bar for my place and do them randomly throughout the day, but there isn't really anywhere for me to put it.

Also I'm 5'8ish", 165lbs so I'm not a big fatbody or anything.

The best way to do more pullups is to do more pullups. Do the armstrong pullup plan or whatever.

vains
May 26, 2004

Internet Wizard posted:

I have doors, but the frames are all trimmed in white, and at my last place, my roommate had one of those frame bars, and the padding marked up the doorframe pretty bad.

I do get to the gym 4 or so times a week, so I'll start throwing pull-ups in whenever I can.

Buy a magic eraser or paint to get rid of the scuff marks. The best way to do more pullups is do more pullups. Google armstrong pullup technique, its a pretty good pullup workout.

vains
May 26, 2004

Uroboros posted:

Pretty much as it sounds. Crossfit focuses heavy on light weights and flexibility, so when I say "natural size" I'm pretty much saying it will keep you fit but is not for people who want to be so heavily muscled that it begins to effect their movement (speed/flexibility). I am sure you have seen plenty of guys at the gym that are so jacked that have to turn their bodies to actually look at people, I would consider this beyond someone's "natural size" where their muscle mass goes beyond what their skeletal structure/body type is meant to have. To me there is little practicality in being that big, it is impressive, but I don't see why someone would want that in the military world.

How much muscle mass is a person's skeletal structure/body type supposed to have? How do you determine this? Do you get what I'm saying? We can establish an upper limit for one's 'natural size' at "juiced up transhumanist" and a lower limit at "anorexic twink". Between those two(barring injury and disease), one's 'natural size' is largely dependent on how much work you're willing to do and how efficiently you're doing it.

Ignoring the PFT and height/weight standards: Being big is an advantage in the military world. While your joints bear more load due to the increased weight of your body, your gear is a much smaller percentage of your body weight than small guys. Not only that, but your core is almost certainly stronger from heavy compound movements. Joint damage can be mitigated but not eliminated but smaller guys experience similar levels of wear. Outside of joint issues, the biggest drawbacks are getting picked to carry heavy poo poo or not being able to easily fit through the hatches on armored vehicles.

That's just my take on it. I'm not a physical trainer and am probably a retard.

vains
May 26, 2004

I usually lift between 1030pm-midnight to avoid waiting for equipment.

xwonderboyx posted:

I like being able to do other poo poo while I'm working out. Instead of sitting there staring at the bar in between sets I'll work on some chores or play with my dog or something. And then I post about it on the internet.

When I lifted at home, I liked being able to walk downstairs, put on whatever music I want, lift and then walk back upstairs. Really blew through the workouts. The downside is that there's nobody around to save you if you drop the bar on your throat.

vains
May 26, 2004

bench in a power cage(if your gym is ungay enough to have one)!!!!

Or just bench without a spotter so you have that extra incentive to not fail to get the weight up.

vains
May 26, 2004

Deathy McDeath posted:

The stones hurt my knees.

The stones on Mt Suribachi probably didn't feel too good either, devil.

https://www.goruckgear.com/gear/details/GR1

You spent 400 on this?

vains fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jan 2, 2013

vains
May 26, 2004

Deathy McDeath posted:

It's nice as a general backpack, but no chest strap and no hip belt really limits it.

I know, I know :smith:

ahahahah what a ripoff. You paid $400 for a $50 PX daypack.

This pack is $400 and worth every penny.
http://www.mysteryranch.com/military/assault-patrol-packs/satl-assault-pack

vains
May 26, 2004

Deathy McDeath posted:

Where are you getting 400$ from? The GR1 is 300$ normally but they take 30% off if you buy it when you register for a challenge. Still wasn't worth 200$, though. I will say that, internally, its really well designed and protects your back from getting roughed up. The straps are okay. Everything else is fine.

My bad, I just assumed mokers made up number was accurate. $200 for that is still outrageous.

vains
May 26, 2004

xwonderboyx posted:

I don't think I get trolling.

You called me poor. Its true, but its a trigger word for me. I'm sorry for lashing out. Let's all be friends.

He's trolling you in this post. You can tell because he used proper capitalization, punctuation, and grammer.

vains
May 26, 2004

ima do a thing called GOSUB where i turn the lights really low in my house and lock people in there and wont let them see the outdoors and they have to take logs on my thermostat and clean my apartment constantly ill also scream stuff at them when they try to sleep on an intercom and refuse to shower but we still have to share a bed

Show me where to sign! I am a dumb white person with too much money and I want to pay someone to haze me for a few hours.

vains
May 26, 2004

http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-body/pictures/inside-justin-biebers-workout-routine-2011243/13669

After seeing his routine, call me a Belieber.

vains
May 26, 2004

vacation in kabul posted:

I do tons of lat pulldowns and they do absolutely nothing for my pull-ups. To get better at pull-ups you just do as many as you can all the time. Not even really worth it.

Not exactly true. Without doing pullups or lat pulldowns, I went from doing ~12 to doing 20 in a year. I just lifted and ate a shitton while I was in Iraq.

But yeah, generally you need to do pullups to get better at pullups.

vains
May 26, 2004

I'm starting to get stretch marks where my biceps, delts, and pecs meet near the armpit. Mostly on my biceps. Is there any way for me to stop from having my alabaster skin ruined? I really don't want to stop my swoleness from getting swollier.

Stretch marks are cool, you pussy.

vains
May 26, 2004

Bright Eyes posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POdzasJklxw

So you think this guys really a major? Kinda made me think of Encino man from Generation Kill.

I knew 1 super jacked officer. He was a pretty big piece of poo poo though.

vains
May 26, 2004

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I'd like to check it out. When I'm through with my current program in 4 weeks I want to do something with more bench pressing. I want nice looking boobs.

Doing poo poo other than bench is good for making your chest bigger.*

*Unless you make a conscious effort to activate your pecs.
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/benching-with-the-pecs.html

vains
May 26, 2004

smertrioslol posted:

Sporadic horrible crap. Mostly just a lot of pyramiding weight up and down for compound lifts.

I just started rotating a different compound lift each day and doing a lot of reps and a lot of sets at a medium weight so I can get my endurance back up. For instance, today I did 9 sets of squats, since I'm awful at squats and I'm trying to fix my form with lower weight so I don't sacrifice it when I try to put more on the bar. And running. I'm trying to run more because I had an abysmal time on my last PT test (still got a 90, Air Force HURRRR).

Why pyramid weights on compound lifts?

If your squat form sucks, squat whatever you feel comfortable at for 3-5 sets and then leg press. Doing 9 sets sounds a little crazy to me.

Whenever I plateau on a lift, I just change the exercise or rep range for 4-6 weeks.

vains
May 26, 2004

psydude posted:

I haven't done a 1RM in a while since I only do dumbbell bench, but it's probably around 255 or 260 with a straight bar. I just don't ever see myself putting in the effort required to get above 300.

Sounds like an excuse to be a weak rear end bitch.

vains
May 26, 2004

I actually complained to the owner of the gym I go to (it's a very small gym, I pay 20 bucks a month) about how the trainers hog all of the equipment for all the fatasses and soccer moms that come in to do crossfit, he said it's unfortunate but they make bank off of their personal trainers and no one ever comes in asking about anything BUT crossfit these days. I really don't understand the rationale at all, when I look around the gym the dudes that are either huge or cut or whatever aren't ever doing that stupid rear end bullshit. I did the WOD for like a week and a half in Iraq and then tried to do a crossfit program with a SGM who "learned it at a Ranger Batt" for a while and I don't think it helped me advance in my lifts or anything and I probably hurt myself once or twice. I would seriously love to know where its appeal lies outside of being a fad.

This may sound crazy, and I don't really understand it either, but some people don't want to get big or really strong. They're more interested in 'functional strength'. I don't really know what functional strength is, or how it differs from being regular strong, but it sounds useful.

Really, I think the appeal is something like this. Its a way for novices to get into the gym without being intimidated/scared off by giant dudes. They think that getting big or getting strong is out of their reach because of genetics or a refusal to use steroids. Their suspicions are confirmed when they don't look like Ryan Gosling after a few months of lifting. Instead, Crossfit emphasizes relatively shorter term fitness goals(do xxxx benchmark workout in X:XX time with YY weight). Once you get that, you can scale up the weight or shoot for a better time or whatever. Whereas, traditional body building/powerlifting is binary: you're strong/big, or you're not. In addition, Crossfit seems less technical to the novice. You do the workout of the day at your crossfit gym and go home. You don't have to think about what lifts you need to do or worry about eating enough brotein and calories.

Also, its a really big fad.

vains
May 26, 2004

holocaust bloopers posted:

^^^^^^

I wouldn't say it's less technical. They're doing oly/powerlifting where technique is the name of the game. If anything, many of them should be paying more attention to their form instead of what their time is in Helen or whatever.

Since the emphasis isn't on getting massively swole/strong, some of the technical aspects of lifting are removed. You no longer have to worry about setting up a routine or a diet. You just have to do the workout. Its simple. Like you said, you still have to know how to do a lift but you don't have to worry about dietary macros or supplements, etc.

vains
May 26, 2004

DoktorLoken posted:

So I started stripped 5x5 yesterday. Any suggestions on iPhone apps for keeping track of lifts?

Just use a notebook.

vains
May 26, 2004

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

I just use a notebook and type it all in to Fitocracy when I get home. Every fitness tracking app I've seen has been annoying as hell to use.

I don't really get the point of Fitocracy. I lift weights because I like lifting weights(and so I can get super saiyan swole and powerfuck disgusting sluts), not to make some arbitrary meaningless number go up.

What functionality does fitocracy have that a notebook and excel doesn't?

vains
May 26, 2004

genderstomper58 posted:

but thats what lifting is lol ;D

gently caress

Life is without meaning.

vains
May 26, 2004

Ashmole posted:

I feel like my other lifts are going up, but my bench sucks. What are some options to break the plateau?

Do some other chest exercise instead of bench for a month. Switch reps/weight/sets around.

vains
May 26, 2004

genderstomper58 posted:

unless youre an elite athlete or something pls just bench more

IDK man. Sometimes its nice to just do DBs or something.

vains
May 26, 2004

Martello posted:

Got back up to repping 215 on bench yesterday. Been working back up from tearing the labrum in my right shoulder. I used to do 265 but I might never get back there again. As long as I can rep 225 I won't feel too bad. My fiancee put up 135, which I think is pretty heavy for a girl.

I hope your labia recovers.

I haven't lifted in 2 months now but I still eat like I lift 5 days a week. I'm just bulking.

vains
May 26, 2004

He's actually right though. The surgery to repair your labrum doesn't have a 100% success rate, has an extremely long heal time, and doctors seem to want to do it as a last resort.

vains
May 26, 2004

Is there an officer in GIP who benches more than Deathy's bitch rear end?

vains
May 26, 2004

Do you do curls in your squat rack?

vains
May 26, 2004

Good gyms do exist. They tend to be mom and pop ones. But yea it's way cheaper to spend 1500 or so on a cage, decent barbell, weights, and whatever you want for a garage set up.

No, its not. It would take 4 years at 29.99/mo before you begin seeing any savings and you wouldn't have 1/4 of the equipment a decent gym has.

So close to being obese.

vains
May 26, 2004

Ashmole posted:

What accessory exercises are good for pull ups? I can knock out a set of 10 deadhangs and then that's it. It's done.

More pullups.

Lat pulldowns, bicep and grip work will help somewhat. Really, the best way to do more pullups is to do more pullups. It's not really rocket surgery here. Think about what sort of motions and muscles are involved in doing a pullup and then think about what other exercises will work out those muscles.

vains
May 26, 2004

Captain Amerikkka posted:

Only relevant parts of this post.

The one weird trick that this mom uses to do more pullups

psydude posted:

Much like the only way to get better at running is more running.

The only reason to run is so you look good for your boyfriend.

vains
May 26, 2004

Who uses every bit of equipment a gym has and what gym only charges 30/mo? I pay 50 for an old school powerlifting/bodybuilder gym and that's ridiculously low.
My gym charges 29.99 a month. It's open 24hrs and I rarely have to wait for equipment. I use significantly more than a power rack, bench and a barbell.

vains
May 26, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

If you have any appreciable muscle mass (IE you work out somewhat) than BMI is going to be way off for you anyways. It's an ok scale for most sedentary Americans to tell them they're fat lazy fucks.

No poo poo, really?

vains
May 26, 2004

Do you think a site titled 'steroids.com' and looks like it was designed in the late '90s is a legit source for steroids?

vains
May 26, 2004

Ashmole posted:

Well, Craigslist is pretty legit and it looks the same as it did when it came out in the 90's...so, yeah.

A friend of mine can buy steroids off craigslist?

edit: A friend of mine definitely just checked, even in the dealer section, and could only find farm fresh eggs.

vains
May 26, 2004

Stretch marks are cool. Don't be a pussay.

vains
May 26, 2004

elite_garbage_man posted:

7/6/13
leg days rule

but if you log your workouts in here, then how will all the curvy goonettes know you workout? How will you make funny quips for YLLS credit? How will anyone know that you even lift at all????

edit: leg days are gay.

vains fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

Well, at least you're lifting for functional strength.

Although, I really don't understand your workout. You did 1 exercise each of legs, back, and biceps on leg day.