Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

not caring here posted:

Wake up a bit early. One red bull, one small gatorade. 2 x 800mg motrin with naproxen to taste.

Breakfast cocktail of PT champions.

Lol naproxen and Motrin?

Hey bro don't take more than 800 mg Motrin (or any other nsaid) at a time please. Every 6-8 hours. 8 is ideal. you're not benefiting from the excess at all. Just hurting your kidneys. You CAN take something like Tylenol at the same time though as acetaminophen is processed through the liver (don't take Tylenol for hangovers!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

MurderBot posted:

I'll stick with percocet and methadone before my PT test..

by the way do you guys ever give out dilaudid in any military setting? We get tons of soldiers in our civilian sector (both soldier and dependent) and they all seem to know about the big D, but I always assumed you guys had nothing like that...

As Corpsman? Nah, they don't let us have that poo poo. You might get Valium and definitely morphine in a combat setting. We could give it under a Doctors supervision or maybe nurse though.

Military docs are really stingy with controlled substances. They'll rarely give it out. Where I worked before was a Military setting but civilian docs. They handed that poo poo out like candy. Anything you requested. Because they knew it was free and they has nothing to lose. But it does lead to the dependapotomos coming in bi-weekly for her "migraine" fix.

I don't get the above because Military docs treating dependents hand poo poo out like candy too. I guess because Military folk can't complain and raise a fuss as much who knows.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Internet Wizard posted:

Now that the FDA made everybody take DMAA out of their preworkouts you're better served by just taking some powdered creatine daily and slamming an energy drink before you leave for the gym. Maybe look into beta alanine and arginine if you feel like getting fancy.

Old post but I did a lot of reading and finally settled on prolab caffeine pills off of amazon. 100 pills for like $5? You can get fancy and find other ingredients normally found it pre-workouts but taking that + beta alanine works fine for me. I don't feel like i'm on meth which some people probably want but hey.

Hell they even have theseadvanced caffeine pills not sure on the differences. Reading reviews now.

If you take pre-workout for the creatine and beta alanine like an idiot just get some ON creatine mono A year supply is like $20? Beta-alanine is cheap, too. I also take an ECG extract which is a green tea extract. It gives some people an energy boost.

Here's some taurine pills. May give them a try http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001VKIK0/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk

If you drink 20 monsters a day though and just can't get that pre-workout kick then stick to that borderline illegal poo poo that'll be illegal soon. Also going to reiterate all the Marines that were hospitalized for liver failure in Hawaii that were all taking oxyelite pro.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 20, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah I can't taste it at all in a protein shake.

Sometimes I even just take it down with some water in my mouth and even then I barely taste it.

I remember taking a creatine a while ago that was what I imagined battery acid to taste like. Terrible. ON creatine mono is virtually tasteless.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I'm at 295 on my max set 1x5 with starting strength >:-(

My grip is starting to slip (no chalk allowed, of course) I'm tempted to try wrist straps but I'm trying to hold off as long as possible.

Can't loving break 250 on my working set 3x5 for squats. May have to try this 5/3/1. I looked at it briefly and it seemed all over the place

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Thanks for that. Seems most the stuff you find online is very against it unless you're doing a 1RM or something. :siren:GRIP STRENGTH!:siren: I'll have to give them a try. Or some of that liquid or eco chalk. Probably do my normal warmup sets and just use them for my final 1x5 set. I'm not doing any crazy high volume/lovely form deadlift crossfit poo poo.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Dude McAwesome posted:

That's because most people on the internet are fuckwits.

Get some straps and enjoy lifting weights without worrying about your grip.

Do you lift overhand or mixed grip? Everyone's different, but if you haven't tried mixed grip then give that a shot.

I was doing mixed for a while until I decided to give hook grip an honest go (double overhand) Like it a lot better.

I've gotten this far without a belt I don't think I'll start using one until I'm squatting 300+ and deadlifting 400+. Who knows.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

My lower back pain gets better the more I squat and deadlift :downs: Not factoring in DOMS of course.

I've heard of numbness/nerve issues. The first couple sessions are definitely borderline unbearable. I say give it a shot now before you start pushing more and more weight. I use it for pendlay row and deadlift. Wasn't doing light weight in either when I started, too.

You could just try double overhand with lifting straps?

Have you tried that oddly shaped deadlift bar instead of a barbell?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Been hearing a lot of fuss about the 5/3/1 program. I looked at it real quick and it seems a bit intimidating. But I know there's calculators and stuff. I've been doing starting strength with good results but I think it's almost time to switch.

Also tried front squats for the first time a couple weeks ago. They're tough.

What's the preferred grip/form if you're not doing Olympic poo poo? I tried the one with the bent wrist but it was killing my wrist and felt really difficult. Think I prefer the crossed forearms with elbows up instead.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Looking for some input dudes

So I did starting strength and a bit of my own thing for about 8 months. I wasn't as consistent as I would have liked to be but I still made good size/strength gains. Was taking the usual protein, multi, caffeine pills as a pre workout, fish oil as well as creatine mono and beta-alanine. Have since stopped those 2. Been lazy the past 2 weeks and haven't hit the gym. Started going back and doing my own thing just to try to maintain a bit and my lifts have definitely gone down and I got pretty bad DOMS in my legs. A bit ridiculous because I was squatting/deadlifting one day and then running the next. Guess alcohol doesn't help.

I'm pretty satisfied with my body now but could probably afford to cut a couble lbs around the edges. Would like to get stronger, though. I lost a surprising amount of weight while getting strong/bigger on starting strength this time around. Unfortunately I won't be able to be as consistent as I'd like for the next 6 months +. Looking at just doing my own thing, 5/3/1, or WS4SB. Could do starting strength again? Fortunately i'll be able to eat a lot better. Should I start beta alanine and creatine again?

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 13, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah I just wanted to get big fast and it seemed those were the best and least terrible for you. But I mean is creatine a long-term supplement? Are athletes taking it for years? I can't say whether or not beta-alanine helped much but I'm getting bad DOMS now and obviously not as strong as I was.

I take the recommended dose of the ON Creatine mono. Something like $18 for a year supply. Drink tons of water and mix it with preworkout as well. There's just so many supplements it's overwheming. Considering a intraworkout?

Yeah, I've just been doing random workouts. Mostly an A and B workout doing chest/tris and biceps/back with legs thrown in. Sticking to mostly compound lifts: squats, romanian deadlifts, weighted dips and pull ups, military press, bench, pendlay row, etc. And finishing with accessory work. Shooting for 3 sets of 5-8 mostly.

I loving love weighted pull-ups. They're tough, though.

Content, stolen from the YLS pic thread

http://i.imgur.com/FEjUi4k.jpg

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 18, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Plate pinches are good.

As gimmicky as it looks I've hear/read a lot of good things about the fat gripz

http://www.amazon.com/Fat-Gripz-The-Ultimate-Builder/dp/B005FIS14Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400648042&sr=8-1&keywords=fat+gripz

Heard they destroy your forearms

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I have a heavy metal powerball that kills the forearms as well. I don't use it often but it's not bad for long drives or just sitting around watching TV

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Just found out this site and thought I'd share.

http://us.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/impact-whey-protein/10852500.html

Guess it's a British site that just opened a US store. poo poo is cheap as gently caress. $6 flat shipping on 11 lb bag of whey. Assume that's for a whole order. They also have a 15% discount right now on whey. And according to the supplement threads when they tested some whey proteins to verify protein content they came out on top. Cheap creatine mono, BCAA, etc.

If you want to read reviews for their poo poo you can just go to their non-US site

http://www.myprotein.com/home.dept

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Click Beelay posted:

How long do you guys stretch for? Woke up to a hosed left shoulder and I rested yesterday, no problems until today. Currently doing about five minutes stretching and running a couple km, before and after. That's been sweet for the last ~forever but I've been maintaining a 5kg (usually 2.5kg, it's probably this but I'm interested in what others think) gain increase on everything except military press over the past week. Stretch more C/D?

e; On second thought, that is a stupid question; just going to do it and find out. Interested to hear how long you guys stretch for though.

Late but here comes my armchair athletic trainer post

Shoulders are loving delicate. Especially once injured. Don't gently caress around with your shoulders. Warm that poo poo up before lifting and obviously do your proper warmup lifts for poo poo like benchpress or overhead press.

The most important stretching is dynamic, static, and PNF. There are a ton of different types of stretching but that's all you should really care about. Static is what you're used to. Dynamic is things like leg swings and such. Dynamic is usually part of a warmup and static should never be done when you're cold and only at the end of workouts. There's evidence that static stretching before a workout decreases your strength. If you must static before at least do a warmup. You should always warmup before you start lifting. 3-5 minutes of biking and some dynamic stretching should be good.

PNF stretching is arguably the most effective form of stretching. You shouldn't do it more than 3 times a week as it is seen as a form of strength training. There's different guidelines you'll find online. Ideally you'd do it with a partner or towel or band or some poo poo. Anyways, you stretch for 20 seconds or so and then flex against the resistance/contract the muscles/area being stretched for 3-6 seconds, relax, and then go deeper into the stretch. Repeat this 3-4 times per stretch.

You should always hold a stretch for 15-30 seconds. From what I've read there's been no proven benefit of holding for longer than 30. But go for at least 30. I'd do each stretch 2-4 times holding for at least 30 seconds.

If you got general shoulder aches you might want to look into something like a knobble for hitting those spots. Also doubles as a buttplug

http://www.amazon.com/The-Original-Knobble-Massager-Stimulator/dp/B000NWBKIQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402701815&sr=8-1&keywords=knobble

or something like this

http://www.amazon.com/Body-Back-Company-10100000003-Buddy/dp/B0006VJ6TO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1402701855&sr=8-3&keywords=theracane

or maybe a lacrosse ball to use on a wall

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 14, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Click Beelay posted:

Cool, thanks for that. Shoulders were sweet after the workout following that post I made, think I was just being a pussy.

Before and after a workout I run a couple km and do the same 30 seconds per stretch thing I've been doing since high school rugby plus some new lower body stretches I picked up from MMA, I guess that's static stretching? Like you and holocaust bloopers suggested I do the standard (dynamic?) thing by doing warm up sets of every exercise at 45%/65%/85%. Will read up on the different types of stretching when I get home, always just assumed stretching was stretching but what you say makes sense. If the shoulder pain comes up again I'll skip the pre-workout static stuff and try more delts/lats accessory work before considering buying something like those, can see the merit though.

Yeah static stretching is the typical touch your toes and hold. Static stretching is fine and you can do it whenever but you should always do it once you're warmed up and ideally after a workout. I mean if you want to do it before doing something like rugby I suppose that's fine. But for strength training it's best for after. Some form of dynamic stretches should always be part of your warmup. Also never bounce in a stretch.

Here's a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7ghNKOH9To

As far as warming up before a lift I just use a warmup calculator app on my phone. Just warmup for all the major compound lifts.

quote:

The idea, for all lifts except the dead lift, is to take your working weight minus the bar (20kg/45 lbs) and use this as the weight to add. Then follow the scheme below:
2×5 with just the bar
1×5 with bar + 25% of weight to add
1×3 with bar + 50% of weight to add
1×2 with bar + 75% of weight to add
3×5 at full working weight

There's a ton of webbased warmup calculators you can use from your computer or home too.

If you're looking for flexibility PNF is best. That gives the most results faster. Although it's tough to do by yourself but you still can just using your own resistance or a stretching band.

This is a pretty popular warmup program, Agile 8

http://www.t-nation.com/training/defranco-agile-8

but now it goes to 11

http://www.defrancostraining.com/ask-joe/44-flexibilitymobility/302-joe-ds-qlimber-11q-flexibility-routine.html

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jun 14, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

CAP Barbell Olympic 2-Inch 45lb plate for $35

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3643699

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

God drat I wish I could find a powerlifting gym. It's all :siren: crossfit :siren:

I mean I guess that's where the money is but still it's a bummer. I'd love to get properly coached in real Olympic lifting too but it seems all those gyms are gone or turned into crossfit outside of big cities.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

holocaust bloopers posted:

Some CF gyms have olympic lifting coaches. Problem is that you'll still be paying the ludicrous CF gym fee. It's astonishing how those gyms get away with charging $100+ monthly fees.

Haha are you kidding me? Look up your local "box" that poo poo is $200+ a month unless you do some loving 24 month commitment.

I almost wanted to ask if I could just get a membership and do my own thing off in the corner but I never realized how expensive it was (how much is rent on an industrial warehouse and buying tires and some barbells and bumper plates?) and that also kinda goes against the whole crossfit thing.

I have considered trying to seek out a professional coach somewhere and just get some good one on one so I can do my own thing

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Pull up bar at the gym is lovely and I fail weighted pull ups because of grip strength before anything. Thinking about trying straps for those

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

So what's up with BCAAs? You guys notice a difference? It's found in most whey protein? As a bunch of Military/former Military dudes you guys surprisingly aren't supplement crazy.

Thinking of ordering a bunch from here when I order some whey http://us.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/bcaa/10852382.html

Wondering if I should start taking creatine mono again :shrug: It's cheap so that's not the issue. How long do people generally take it? I know you'll hear varying poo poo about cycling it but I mean do professional athletes take it for years on end?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

elite_garbage_man posted:

Yeah I use bcaas in my post workout shake, and take protien throughout that has bcaas and glutamine mixed in already. ON Gold Standard Whey if you're wondering. There's a ton of good info on the benefits of bcaas out there so why not.

I've heard a ton of poo poo about creatine too, and I just take it on training days as it's part of my post workout protien powder (ON Hydrobuilder). Just be consistent when you use it and it will help, but it doesn't make the difference so staggering where you'd really even notice if you miss a day or 2. 3 and more and you'll definitely notice your appearance change in size and feel a little different.

When you say protein through you mean throughout the day? Intra-workouts are mostly just BCAAs, right?

Buying bulk through that site BCAAS are pretty cheap but I was just curious about your guys experience with 'em.

Yeah I took creatine mono for about 6 months or so and made some good gains. Was also taking beta alanine. Can't really attribute the gains to anything directly but just curious on exactly how long people take that poo poo.

As far as being consistent with creatine shouldn't you take it everyday even non-training days? I thought the whole thing with creatine was that it didn't really matter when you took it just if you took it around the same-ish time everyday and kept the creatine levels up in your body or w/e.

I'm trying not to get too supplement crazy. I was taking beta alanine just because I was working out pretty intensely. Other than that it's just caffeine pills pre-workout and the normal whey protein right now. Plus multi, green tea extract, fish oil, and vitamin-c extract. So a lot of vitamins :/

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 23, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I usually use dpsnutrition.net because they have some decent coupons (10% off order over x amount etc) but recently discovered myprotein which used to be a UK only site. Going to place an order tonight. I've linked it above but check it out -

http://us.myprotein.com/

I've read good things and there was something about a lab testing the actual mg of protein in certain protein brands and they came out on top. Not sure how much BCAAs normally cost but 2.2 lbs is $50 there.

On the topic of BCAAs how much you guys taking and when? I know some people go all out and mix a bunch in a jug and sip on it all day. I always just thought you took it pre (possibly intra?) workout Their site says -

quote:

As a dietary supplement we recommend consuming 5 grams 2 - 4 times daily for optimal results. Best consumed with your preferred amount of water or fruit juice.

Beta alanine is continually getting a lot of positive press though. I know we're talking about not doing a ton of supplements but I'm tempted to order some more.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 23, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Shouldn't take any of that bullshit anyways IMO

If you're gonna go crazy might as well just go all out and take oxy elite pro

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Use evernote and fill in your poo poo on pc and then just sync it

strong is a pretty great simple no frills workout app

A lot of people do SS before 5/3/1. Seems pretty standard.

Deadlift should loving shoot past squats real quick.

Wait why are you doing deadlifts both workouts? Are you doing 1x5? I never did power cleans because I was never properly coached on form and always did penlday rows

There's a lot of web based SS warm-up sites I spent like $3 on a app for it though.

Did you read the thread in YLLS 10x over and watch 3 hours of youtube videos on proper technique/form?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

So you are doing deadlifts both workouts?

I wouldn't do power cleans unless you had someone show you unless you already know. Give pendlay rows a try. The form is a bit weird at first but there's some good instructional videos online. I think at my peak I was doing 240 lbs or so 3x5. Slamming weights pissing people off.

This has been linked a couple times in this thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ME8gEN54Ao

Your shoulders shouldn't by hurting. Do you have flexibility issues or a previous injury? A lot of people tend to flare their elbows out. You'll want all your fingers including your thumb going over the top of the bar. Which I think is the preferred method. Poking around online it seems people do both. It just helps me because you don't want to grip the bar like bench press or something and be pulling your shoulders forward

I've always had the bar fairly high but that's because I got sick traps that make a nice resting spot for the bar to lay perfectly

I made an effort post a while ago in this thread about my squat tips as a armchair fitness professional

Christoff posted:

I don't get the middle part of that bar. You should NEVER squat with any kind of paddding/support. Or any kind of machine. Always free weight barbell.

Doing squats sucks and it's hard to get the technique down. You're absolutely miserable during the set and almost pass out when you're done. But obviously once you get past that you feel amazing. Watch some youtube videos of people doing it PROPERLY.

Here's just a couple tips to keep in mind while squatting. Seriously, run some of these through your head and you'll literally feel the difference instantly.

*Feet roughly shoulder width apart
*Toes pointed just slightly outward
*DO NOT LOOK UP. Common mistake. Always look straight
*Back flat
*Drive your hips forward. This is probably the most important thing in squatting.
*Imagine your standing on a towell and while driving up you're trying to rip the towell in half with your feet
*Don't flare your elbows out
*Keep your breathing in mind. Once you get your breaths backwards it'll really mess yo up. (in on the way down, out on the way up)
*Go loving deep. ATG all that poo poo. You want to touch your hamstrings to your calves. Or as deep as you can. None of this "stop at parellel". (note a lot of people will probably disagree with this, go google for yourself)
*Do not bounce up
*imaging your squatting to take a poo poo out in the woods. Butt way down. I've been told your knee cap shouldn't go past your toes when squatting but I've also heard that it doesn't matter. Not 100% sure.

oh and this

and lastly you should be squatting barefoot (Arnold lifted barefoot y'know!)or with minimal type shoes (vibrams, converse) but that's just my imo go get those $200 crossfit reeboks if you want

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 30, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I love my vibrams :shrug: gently caress the haters

I got these for running on rough terrain. Imagine they'd be good for lifting

http://www.amazon.com/Merrell-Trail-Glove-Running-Black/dp/B00D1GXN72/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406696162&sr=8-1&keywords=merrell+trail+glove

You should warm up and do some shoulder stretching. Look into dynamic shoulder stretches as part of your warmup (you should generally do a 3-5 minute warmup before SS. Something like biking)

Also get a lacrosse ball or something like these 2 items to hit those tough spots in your shoulder and break up that fascia

http://www.amazon.com/Body-Back-Company-10100000003-Buddy/dp/B0006VJ6TO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1406696304&sr=8-2&keywords=thera+cane

http://www.amazon.com/The-Original-Knobble-Massager-Stimulator/dp/B000NWBKIQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406696316&sr=8-1&keywords=knobble

lastly stop doing deadlifts both workouts

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Because you're not doing the program. It's written a certain way for a reason.

That aside I'm assuming you're just starting out and fairly new to lifting. Deadlifts are pretty taxing on your body and you're already doing a poo poo ton of squats anyways. Need time to recover so you can properly add weight every workout which is the point of the program.

I haven't read the SS book personally so maybe it is a variation of the program and I'm wrong

Just do pendlay rows, cleans, or bent over rows dude. What's the point in waiting?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Ah yeah sorry it's an older post. Didn't know the glory of the valsalva manuever yet

Yeah I know you want the explosion out of the hole I think it was more in reference to people doing light weight/high reps

What exactly is a lifting shoe? I mean, what's different about them? I assume it helps with balance issues and people leaning too far back? Is that why people put 2.5 lb plates under their heels as the poor man option?

I was always under the impression parallel was bad for knees because it keeps the tension and you don't unload all that stress from the extra weight. I mean obviously in competitions and poo poo they're only going to parallel because that's all they have to do for it to count.

I believe that picture is from SS. It seems in Rippetoes videos he never really advocates a full ATG and it's like that photo where it's just below parallel. Just google around and come to your own conclusion on that I guess.

And lastly I said you should always look straight. Which is better than looking up. But last I remember reading you should just look at the ground a couple feet in front of you because most gyms will have a mirror and that ends up distracting you too much?

How do you grib the bar? Thumbs on same side as fingers or?

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jul 30, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

How do you guys feel about the more "fad" workouts? Looking at you, kettlebells. Never really understood the point of them when you have dumbells. Plus it seems people are always doing the same weight for long periods of time.

Anyways, since I've been kind of doing my own thing I've been looking at more, and I hate to use this word, "functional," workouts. But mostly doing compound lift poo poo. My schedule is too inconsistent right now to get on a proper program.

What I'm getting at is does anyone do the dumbell/kettlebell uh...clean and press?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBdLqutTTmM

I guess this but faster and more smooth with less weight.

I see this guy is doing them two handed but I was looking at the single arm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YedyLmkDRE

Anyone do these or any kind of variation? What set/rep should I be looking at? 3-4 sets of 6-10 reps?

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Aug 5, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

ElMaligno posted:

Overhead, I go with a bit wide grip, stand up strait, shallow hip-trust, push bar up, shudder shoulders and do everything in reverse.

I caught myself not moving the bars in a straight line and not shuddering my shoulders. My shoulders just refused to move that bar two more times.

I found the press to be the hardest workout to gain in with SS. No shame in using 1.25 lb plates to micro load with that exercise. Felt pretty beast when I was throwing up 45s on each side :coal:

You can argue form all day and I think rippetoe even advocates different types of forms. But this is the one I follow and I felt it helped. I'd say 8/10 people do Military press wrong in the gym. And for some reason it seems no one ever does them regardless. And just a little side tidbit and I forgot where I read it or watched it but I guess how people measure dick sizes talking about how much they bench now back in the day it was "hey bro what do you press?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAXPJ3PfdyY

Notice the exaggerated head movement forward when the bar passes (close to your face as possible) and sort of squeeze at the top and how far you lower it. Things you never see anyone do. Valsalva maneuver is really important on this one. My traps got decently big doing SS and I think it was from this.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Aug 5, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I tweaked my shoulder 4 years ago doing bench (lovely form on my part, flared elbows) and it was a sharp pain for months. Regardless of the exercise if there's any pressing motion and even if I do the individual exercise warmup I'll always grab a 10lb dumbell or so and just bring it to the chest and out laterally on a horizontal line for high reps.

Also I forgot to mention and in case you didn't already know you want to try the same weight twice with SS before resetting 8-10%. I think I reset Military press the most out of all the workouts in SS.

But yeah seriously get some 1.25 lb plates. Especially for press and bench. People might look at you funny but gently caress it. They're extremely overpriced, for some reason, just shop around. I got mine off a 3rd party on amazon for $18 shipped I think.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 5, 2014

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I remember reading something that behind the neck anything (pull downs, pull ups, press) is really bad for your shoulders.

I did do a routine for a bit that involved, and the name of the exercise (bodybuilder it was named after) escapes me, where you do a short OHP then graze it back over your head as close as possible and then go down then do it behind the neck and go back and forth

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Does the dip station have a pull up bar? Weighted pull ups and dips go a long way

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

You using them for every set or just your maxs? I've been meaning to try straps for at least my last couple max sets.

Also invest in a pumice stone to smooth out your calluses.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

:stare:

13 reps? ATG? Or are you one of those dudes that loads up 4 plates on each side and gets about 3" in range of motion

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Using any kind of knee sleeves or wraps at that point? Assuming a belt for sure

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I've been meaning to maybe order a set of SBD knee sleeves everyone raves about. Expensive, though.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

We taking about wraps or sleeves because I'm just talking about sleeves for a bit of compression and to keep the joint nice and warm.

I though I remember reading something about wraps being bad and messing with your patellar alignment idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

There's some supposedly decent albeit very expensive ones on amazon

Why no caffeine? I assure you if you don't want the "pre workout" jitters it's not the caffeine in the no-explode or whatever the kids are snorting these days

I just take 200mg pure caffeine from prolab. Think it comes out to $.5-10 a pill