Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Aranan posted:

I started running with VFFs. Did couch to 5k, then a marathon, then all my runs after that. The only reason I don't still run in them is because I do lots of rocky/root laden runs and having a real sole keeps my feet from getting stone bruises and because the army won't let me use them at PT. I still have a pair (my 3rd, I wore holes in the other 2) in the closet that I may take out again in the future.

Haven't lifted in them yet, though.

These are great if you didn't already know about them

Merrell Men's Trail Glove 3 Trail Running Shoe, Black/Light Grey, 11.5 M US https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KZOBTCO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_AAPTwbWNMTY02

I have the last version/model. best hybrid of shoe/minimalism IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

So is flipping tires as dumb as I always thought or what. Like I can't assume NFL athletes are doing them

I just feel like there's so many other workouts that would provide the same benefit with less a chance of injury

I mean most people just flip with their back anyways because gotta get those reps in #crossfit

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah don't waste all this time with poo poo form, you're only doing yourself a huge disservice in the long run. Find some classes, local YMCA, whatever. Don't get me wrong swimming is extremely exhausting as is, but it helps to be efficient

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

drat ran for the first time in like two years almost a week ago. Three miles? I'm still loving sore as hell. Calves especially.

I'm not in terrible shape just don't like running

But hey non-forced running is kind of enjoyable..? :shrug:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

egyptian rat race posted:

Is there any way to increase added weight while doing dips past a 45# plate on a belt? Attaching a dumbbell maybe? I really feel like weighted dips are helping me get stronger in flat bench but I won't want to look like an rear end in a top hat with a multiple plate keychain hanging off me.

Weighted dips and pull ups are probably the two most under utilized workouts. They're great all around. You could also mix it up with dumbbell flat bench, or Google "rack lock outs"

That's a lot easier than it looks. Just put dumbbell behind knee then cross. You could do that + a plate? What's wrong with adding a plate to the belt next to the 45 lb plate? Are there 2.5 lb plates you could use? I bought some 1.25 lb plates online a while back since they're impossible to find.

You could also go all out and look hard as gently caress with some heavy chains around your neck

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I did the modified starting strength and it was really good and my introduction to weight lifting

I ate whatever I wanted, did little cardio, and gained a ton of muscle and lost a ton of fat in the process. It shouldn't just be seen as some bulking/power lifting routine where you just turn into a fat

but yeah lmk if you have any questions. I had a lot of success and progress with it. I'm not the biggest dude but at my peak I was doing 3x5 of 275lbs squats ATG baby and 2x6-8 weighted pull ups with about 60 lbs? Felt pretty beast

Anyways stick to it, eat everything, and try to get an ideal amount of sleep as much as possible. Really focus on form, never sacrifice it in any capacity, and don't be ashamed to reset any amount. If you get really into it you might want to invest in a 1.25 lb plates or chains

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

what's alls opinion about "leaving some in the tank." That is, not working to failure, and stopping if you feel you could push out a few more reps

I assume sets/reps is a factor of course

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yoga is pretty good y’all

Like I hate and suck at it but I digress

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

One day I’ll get better at yoga

My back sure does feel much better though, don’t tell the VA. I’ve yet to do any kundalini, gonna have to give that a go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I love yoga