Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
I just take a multivitamin and fish earl, lift 2-3 days a week and run another couple days a week. I'm in my mid-30's and usually score around a 240, which is fine for me. I have no illusions of being some kind of stud. I'm starting to get a belly though, probably from the obscene amount of beer I consume. I think I might need to enter a program to stop that though :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

overdesigned posted:

I replaced most of my copious late-night drinking with sleep. Yeah it's super old-man-ish but drat if I don't feel a whole lot better all the time.

I think this is going to be my plan. I go to bed fairly early as is (lol old man) but I really do need to cut down on my beer consumption. I have drank at least 4 beers a night every night for as long as I can remember and usually 8-12 on Sat and Sun. Not good, and it's starting to show on my middle.

Anyone else have any tips for cutting back on drinking?

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Kaliber posted:

Lived it up in a hotel and worked out that 4 days out of the 6 I was there in the lovely hotel gym. It only had free weights up to 50 lbs and it sucked rear end.

I am having this problem since I work out on my lunch break at the free gym our building has for us. The dumbbells only go to 50 and with things like dumbbell rows and overhead press I am stuck using 50's when I know I can use more. We have no barbells :(

Gonna talk to the guys who run it, see if we can get some heavier weights in since there are a few of us who have this problem. Unfortunately, the gym is designed for all the fat middle-aged women in the building who come in and slowly pedal on a stationary bike for half an hour while reading Redbook.

I might end up having to spring for a Planet Fitness membership, but I hate trying to lift or do cardio after work when all I want to do is sit down and play video games.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

psydude posted:

Is there a gym nearby? I've found that big office parks usually have a pay gym somewhere in the vicinity. You should also check with your healthcare provider, because they might knock some money off of your premium for going.

I work in downtown Chicago so yeah there are gyms nearby but people who actually live in the Loop or River North are rich and so consequently the gyms in the area are literally the same cost per month as leasing a Mercedes. And I am using Tricare Reserve Select as my insurance :(

Planet Fitness just opened up like two blocks from my house and it is reasonably priced, I'll probably just have to adjust my attitude with respect to working out after work (or before... lol)

VVV - There is a YMCA. I'll check it out, thanks for the tip! And yeah, TRS is the way to go for family coverage. Saves me 1500 a year in premiums over my work's BC/BS, and prescription co-pays are much lower too.

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 23, 2012

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Kaliber posted:

Planet fitness? The gym that kicks you out when you grunt?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ6OrO1f610

If some fat gym manager kicks me out for grunting, I would be so pissed.

haha I had no idea about this. I haven't much looked into them, just noticed it opened really close by and is reasonable compared to other gym memberships in the area. I'm not much of a grunter/screamer and in fact am kind of annoyed by it so this is actually not much of a minus to me!

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Rrail posted:

Dude that is awesome. I mean the grunting thing is a little over the top, obviously if it was actually how Julian described it it's not that big of a deal, but I am really tired of hearing meathead retards yell and scream while lifting.

I'm sort of confused by the "lunk alarm" concept. I mean I get that they don't want noise but it's not like it's super intimidating or something... how much of a pussy are you if you're actually intimidated by that sort of thing, you know?

Also I'm all for fatties getting their gym on but PF policies look almost like they are encouraging continued half-assed efforts at fitness. A little judgment is a good thing...

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

psydude posted:

A few people have talked about cutting back on drinking. I realize this will be about as popular as banning Affliction shirts from the PX, but is there any interest in doing a GiP month long sobriety challenge?

I'd say yes if I thought I had even a smidgen of a chance of not drinking for 30 straight days :smith:

If you mean just "stay sober" for 30 days, I can do that without even trying. I very rarely get rip-roaring drunk. But I absolutely must have my 2-4 evening beers.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Mister Man posted:

The Planet Fitness in my home town had "Pizza Nights" every week after they opened.

Yeah I went and checked it out after work yesterday and it sucked in there. It's cheap yeah but they had literally zero free weights, a couple smith machines, and their dumbbells only go up to 60. It was packed with fat old ladies walking on the thousands of treadmills and there was free candy at the front desk.

Guess I'll keep looking.

e: gently caress you guys, more beer for me

Defleshed fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 24, 2012

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

The Casualty posted:

It's true. And they're obviously quite flexible. All it really takes to approach any hot yoga girl is to already be relatively athletic and coordinated, so that you don't come off as some creeper that is only there to stare at crotches. Needless to say I'm going back this fall.

Meeting cute girls was awesome, but the best thing ever though was this one girl, she didn't have the best figure, but for the first month she always wore a loose top with no sports bra and her tits would pop out at least once a week.

I say we have a GiP outing to The Casualty's community college yoga class.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
I'll have my own yoga pants on, sporting a clearly outlined erection

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Rrail posted:

If I end up back in Seattle I think I'm going to try to subsist mainly off of fruit juices made that moment in a nice juicer (with protein mixed in) and good sushi. I, too, am sick of eating like poo poo. I did a "juice fast" (for like 4 days) in 2010 and I actually felt amazing during it.

It's going to be hard to do though because I love Thai so much.

Bad news bro.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Rrail posted:

Hahahahahahaha.

So you either read "Christwire" or you read my post and then Googled "thai food homosex". Not sure which is funnier.

Haha it coincidentally was emailed to me by a friend from law school just this morning. I think "Christwire" is meant to be satirical, since it appears to be endorsed by Rachel Maddow and other liberal boogeymen.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

The Casualty posted:

Nope. I may have held my breath for a beat right at the transition from down to up but I exhaled all the way up. My diet is pretty good and my blood pressure checked fine just a couple weeks ago.

Did you see any insect-like alien creatures in the vicinity, perhaps you were injected with egg sacs

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Rrail posted:

I don't want to alter my schedule because some fat, stupid, white-trash gently caress wants to play Slayer or whatever garbage metal bro's listen to at the gym really loudly. I'll figure something out.

Hey, Slayer kicks rear end for lifting to. But I listen on my sweet 'phones brah. Bought it with lawyer money. Beats by Dr. Dre perhaps you have heard of them.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

psydude posted:

Speed metal and speed punk own for lifting. Screw wearing expensive earbuds or headphones to the gym, though. I use some lovely $8 clip earphones because they're eventually going to be destroyed anyway.

I was kidding, who buys multi-hundred dollar headphones to listen to lovely compressed mp3s?

Bands I like to listen to while lifting: Slayer, Municipal Waste, Cancer Bats, Pour Habit, Strung Out, Six Feet Under, Send More Paramedics, GWAR, The Locust.

Bands I try not to listen to while lifting: Iron & Wine, The Decemberists, Neutral Milk Hotel, The Promise Ring, Bayside, Washed Out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Rrail posted:

I'll probably do a cycle or two after I quit working over here.

As an aside, my buddy and I have been doing the "recovery week" thing or whatever, where you go half weight but do 30 reps. It's been worse than a normal workout, the preacher curls were legitimately the most painful thing I've ever done in the gym.

edit; in before someone makes a joke about losing anal virginity in a gym

It was in the showers, but I guess it still counts right :3: