Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I use a txt file on my android because I am boring as gently caress. I also do Starting strength instead of 5/3/1 because I am a weak little nerd. Here are my working sets:

Workout A:
Squats - 170
Press - 90 (lol)
Deadlift - 165
Pull/Chinups: Try to do a few unassisted, then do 2x5 sets assisted. (LOL)

Workout B:
Squats - 170
Bench Press - 130
Deadlift - 165
Dips - 5 assisted then 5 unassisted

But before those I do my warm-up:
Empty bar (45) - 2x5 reps
-30 lbs - 5 reps
-20 lbs - 5 reps
-10 lbs - 5 reps
Working set - 3x5 reps

Hopefully by next week I will get confident enough to substitute Power Cleans instead of deadlifts in workout B. Also joining a BJJ/Wrestling class for cardio because running is for faggots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Yes I am doing 1x5 on deadlifts. I have read that thread, seen videos and own that book on kindle so I always refer to it when I have questions about my form and poo poo.

But my worst form is not my deadlift, is my squats. I can get the bat to be tight as gently caress, but not low enough and my shoulders hurt like a motherfucker after doing all those squats. But once I actually get everything in position I can do proper squats, its just a gigantic pain in the rear end to set up.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Yes I am doing deadlifts on both workout. I did dislocate my shoulder last year, its not painful its just not as flexible as it used to be.

Edit: I do have a pair of minimus and vibram shoes I lift with. The minimus are getting torn apart and the vibrams are the toe shoes so I may buy new shoes in a couple of months.

ElMaligno fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jul 30, 2014

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

It's there any reason why I should not do deadlifts on both workouts? With the exception of the dips and pullups I'm doing what is described described as the novice workout in the SS book.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Christoff posted:

Because you're not doing the program. It's written a certain way for a reason.

That aside I'm assuming you're just starting out and fairly new to lifting. Deadlifts are pretty taxing on your body and you're already doing a poo poo ton of squats anyways. Need time to recover so you can properly add weight every workout which is the point of the program.

I haven't read the SS book personally so maybe it is a variation of the program and I'm wrong

Just do pendlay rows, cleans, or bent over rows dude. What's the point in waiting?

Its not my first time doing weightlifting or (when I am at a gym with the proper equipment) SS. When I started weightlifting more seriously/SS I was alternating between deadlifting and bent-over rows. But now that I can consistently go to a gym with the proper equipment to do SS and I feel comfortable, I like to do deadlifts on every workout.

Also the "rank novice" workout as per the SS book is as follows:

A
Squats
Press
Deadlift

B
Squats
Bench Press
Deadlift

So yeah the SS book wants you to deadlift on every workout.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

vulturesrow posted:

Are you sure? I just looked through the book and didn't see that. Which edition are you looking at? Deadlifting every workout is not sustainable long term and it's not really a good idea. It is the most taxing of the lifts and doing it every workout is definitely going to compromise your ability to progress.

3rd edition, Chapter 8, under "Workout order"

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Did SS and adjusted my warm-ups with this website, it was press day and I loving stalled on my last two reps on my 95 lbs working set. I'll see in Friday if I have to reset my press, it loving sucks.

Also did no-gi BJJ today, im going to be sore as gently caress tomorrow.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Click Beelay posted:

Bench or overhead? Can you describe your form in a few sentences? Was helping a mate get into lifting a few months ago and had the same thing happen, maintaining a proper arch on the bench and keeping glutes and legs stable during OHP fixed him pretty quick.

BJJ is awesome, the occasional feeling of not being able to move your neck comfortably for a day or two makes you feel like a robot.

Overhead, I go with a bit wide grip, stand up strait, shallow hip-trust, push bar up, shudder shoulders and do everything in reverse.

I caught myself not moving the bars in a straight line and not shuddering my shoulders. My shoulders just refused to move that bar two more times.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Been keeping working out on a consistent way for the last few weeks, but more importantly I broke 3 digits on my press (100 lbs). Current workout looks like:

M/W/F - Lift-days, doing SS. Below are my working weights with the sets, set up as per this website
Workout A
Squats - 190 lbs
Press - 100 lbs
Power cleans - 110 lbs (taking it super slowly with these)
Pull ups - 2X5 (One at a time and I cannot do more that that :smith)

Workout B
Squats - 190 lbs
Deadlift - 190 lbs
Benchpress -150 lbs

Tue/Thu - BJJ/Cardio days, currently:
Tue - Two classes (one hour no-gi class, two hour gi class)
Thu - One class (one hour no-Gi class)

Sat/Sun - Rest days

Current goals:
- Squat and deadlift my bodyweight (probably doing this, but I haven't weighted myself in a while).
- Squat 290 lbs and take a picture because I am a nerd.
- Press 145
- Get to 185 or keep at 200 while lowering my overall fat %.

Future changes to the workout:
- Will eventually get a bicycle.
- Add another hour of BJJ.
- Gonna start adding 5 lbs to the woukouts every two weeks instead of weekly.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Hey guys any recommendations for non-caffeinated pre-workouts? I use No-explode 2.0 and they do have a caffeine free version.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

TheQuietWilds posted:

Just go to smartpowders and get all the ingredients you want. Cheaper, and you know you aren't getting fairydusted on any of the important stuff.

I want to do this but I don't have a list of ingredients I want to use, I only have creatine in powder form and that's about it.

So what do you recommend?

Christoff posted:

There's some supposedly decent albeit very expensive ones on amazon

Why no caffeine? I assure you if you don't want the "pre workout" jitters it's not the caffeine in the no-explode or whatever the kids are snorting these days

I just take 200mg pure caffeine from prolab. Think it comes out to $.5-10 a pill

I don't get jitters, is that one day I took a scoop of pre-workout at like 10 in the morning and could not loving sleep that night. Its probably I went from 4+ cups a coffee and 1-2 scoops of preworkout on an almost daily manner to just 1 cup of coffee daily for the last 3 months or so.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I'm not disrespecting caffeine, I like caffeinated pre-workouts like NO Explode and C4. I just want an alternative that I can use on days that I want to workout but I have to go to bed early because I have to wake up early.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I think I will just buy powdered poo poo and just use as little as I can.

Also amazon is asking my is I want "cigarette" rolling papers with the scale I am looking at. LOL

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

WELP, just bought a bunch of bulk white powder.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Christoff posted:

gently caress at my peak I was barely getting like 215/220ish for 3x5

My bench has always been poo poo.

This is making me super self conscious of my lovely bench. :negative:

Good news:
Gonna start squatting/deadlifting 205lbs this week. My new patented SUPERMEGA DIHYDROGEN OXIDE HYPER Pre-workout turned out to be ok

Bad news:
Gotta reset my bench press and OHP this week. Last week my 3x5 for benchpress supposed be 145, instead I did 4x3x2 twice that week. Tried doing 110 on the OHP today and did 4x3x2. Hello 110 bench-press and 70 OHP. :smith:

:gonk: news:
Saw an old man drying out his butthole with a hairdryer.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Christoff posted:

No shame in resetting OHP

Its OK, I just punished my body by doing 3 hours of BJJ!

gently caress you body, when I want you to do 110lbs OHP you PUSH that loving barbell.

NO FLUNKING OUT!!! :argh:

Christoff posted:

Being an enlisted scrub you just see so many dicks you don't even care. Especially on ship

Or in my case showing my dick to everyone else.
You just don't ask me to show you my dick and expect me not to do it. :colbert:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Christoff posted:

Just look up your local box! Any middle class area is going to be $150-250. I'm sure there's cheaper but yeah

$250 but only $225 if you pay 12 months up front!

It's ridiculous

I pay 140 a month for the BJJ classes, as it includes unlimited classes per month and I can use the other Gym facilities and its like 5 minutes away from where I live.

If I want to do Crossfit I would have to pay extra. I am not going to pay extra per month just to have a chance to get Rhabdomyolysis thank you.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Got elbowed in the nose yesterday by a co-worker while doing three hours of bjj. Doing six, five minute rounds of rolling felt awesome.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Friend of mine is 41 and going to compete in some big bjj comp in san diego this year. Few weekends ago he won a local comp with 0 points against him. I wish I had his level of intensity in training and life.

To be fair his wife left him and the recent string of 20 year old girlfriends leave him with a different lifestyle than mine but goddamn dude is a monster.

BJJ is equal manly dudes sweating over each other and nerds trying to figure out the best levers to use to move weights around in the most efficient way.

Its loving great.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

elite_garbage_man posted:

One of these days I'm going to get signed up for some MMA classes, but I don't have the intention of competing or anything. I just don't have the heart.

Just gotta get strong enough to tear a human in half like a phone book first. Is that a move yet?

Yes
You don't need to be strong, you just need to be really loving lucky.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Gonna do a zombie run next week, so I started running again. My calves are like " LOL!" And making me walk funny.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

vulturesrow posted:

Dear guy in the gym,

Wearing a shirt that says train insane is kinda dumb but you seem like a decently in shape bro even if you are doing like 100 dumbbell exercises all focusing on the biceps peak. Thats cool, curls for the girls, I get it. But when your "train insane" shirt has anime poo poo on it, well thats where you just lost me.

Sincerely,
VR

Dear other guys at the gym:

Your deadlift form is a loving disgrace, yes doing 205lbs is good but there is no reason to do them like a hyperactive coked up ape. I just deadlifted 250lbs and I had that bar under control. Also I know when someone is dropping the bar vice pushing it to the floor you filthy loving cheater.

Also your friend? I can do better power cleans than him and I stopped doing them due to flexibility issues. Your friend either exudes laziness or learned to lift on a lovely crossfit gym.

gently caress you

EM

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Bob A Feet posted:

Weak people gym grudges itt

Well as long the dude was working out to be a better accordion I don't mind...

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Ran a silly zombie run today and got complemented for the size of my thunder thighs by a dude

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Quick update:

235 squats
250 deadlift
Can do 4 chinups in a row now
Can do 2 pullups in a row now

Drinking a bloody mary now :dealwithit:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

random question- the modified SS has people doing deadlifts every day until power cleans like 4 weeks in to replace one of the days. I'm saying gently caress it until I can at least get back to 135 on the deadlifts so I don't have to bend over so far to do them. I do them on my B days still, but I've just been doing 5 sets of 3 pendlay rows on A days with all the warmups and poo poo. Sound ok, or is there something better I can be doing to help myself out?

That's not a modified SS, that how the actual SS program starts. You deadlift three times a day for "the first couple weeks" (no actual time is given in the book) then you move into power cleans. Also Rips never talks about doing rows (mentioning rows in the YLLS SS thread is a no no LOL), so just deadlift for two weeks and start powercleaning on the third. Also you can probably add pull-ups and chin-ups to your routine of the third/forth week.

Since I cant do power cleans my current SS workout looks like:

Workout A:
Squat
BenchPress
Deadlift
Chin-ups (currently 3X5)

Workout B:
Squat
Press
Deadlift (-20 lbs the max rep so I don't destroy my back)
Pullups (currently 2X5)

You could also alternate between deadlifts and back-extensions (I just remembered back extensions now LOL), then alternate deadlifts/powercleans and back-extensions.

I think I'll just change my second deadlift day into a back-extension day.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I was really lazy late november and all of december, my gains! Gone! :negative:

On the plus side i lost some weight and now stand at 189 :getin:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Ok been working out again in a more regular basis an poo poo my numbers I have not reached my previous numbers but I can do now 5 chinups in a row and 3 pullups in a row. Considering I was unable to even do 1 of each almost a year ago I’m really happy with my slow as hell progress.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Best cardio is giving manly hugs to men and hip tossing them like ragdolls.

Not homo

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

MurderBot posted:

I bike a poo poo ton and run a poo poo ton, and lift twice a week. Cardio lyfestyle

Suck my dick from the back fags.

I lift three times a week and do bjj two times a week. Don't come near my dick cuz you are gay as gently caress.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

MurderBot posted:

I can only hope you put me in some crazy BJJ hold where I will rock your world.

North and south position is one thing layer of clothing away of being a 69.

Plz dont shame my protein gain method.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Dingleberry posted:

Not efficient at all.
Probably burn more than you earn.

So my protein whey has 120 calories and 24 grams of protein, so assuming I want the same amount of calories how much protein will cum have? 29 grams.
How much cum do you need to drink in order to get this much protein? Assuming you want 120 calories of cum you need 583ml or roughly a liittle above half a liter of cum.

Talk about a hard thing to swallow!

holocaust bloopers posted:

Switching to hook grip for deadlifts. Feels a lot more secure than double overhand but my thumbs hurt like hell. It'll be some light weights as I acclimate to this.

Hook is too akwatd for me, but mixed grip works for me.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I have slowed down my weightlifting priorities since I am doing more Brazilian Jiu Jitsu per week (5 days a week instead of 2 days a week). I still do my 3 days of weight lifting, but im putting a hard cap on all the lefts and I move up in a glacial pace.

I dont regret it tbh

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

lol you still fat though

I lost like 10 lbs in like 6 months and I'm still losing weight :gbsmith:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Fat enough to gently caress your mom

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

lol planet fitness is terrible

the only thing more terrible than a PF is running in a PF

also lol at gym without a squatbars

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

fuckin twig status lmbo

unless he is 5 feet tall then lmbo fatty mcfatterson

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I have reached my target weight of 186.
I have a new target weight of 180.
Which will become 175 once i get to 180.

I am however still """"fat""""

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

how tall are you 5'2?

5'9"

I have a beer belly though LOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

My BJJ coach asked me if I wanted to participate in a tournament in Las Vegas, time to decide if I want to cut 5 pounds and participate in the medium weight class OR stay at 185 and participate in the medium heavy class...

poo poo.