Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

I recently discovered crossfit and it's the most amazing thing ever. I really hate cardio so this is a decent replacement.

My cardio and endurance has gone through the roof since I started doing it 3 times a week. Only problem is I'm starting to lean out and putting back on weight has gotten even harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Pinuyasha posted:

I wish I had a problem leaning out too much...

I use to be a fatty. I ballooned from 155 of being skinny/fat (i did nothing but cardio and ate like a pig) to 200 lbs because I stopped doing cardio and just the b/s army half rear end PT + Germany with my diet of beer/doners.

Went from army 22% body fat down to 12% body fat within 8months. Completely changed my eating habits, life style, and was lifting weights 6 days a week. Only problem was I was actually going all out during morning PT and lifted in the evening so I was burning more calories than I was able to put in. It was only during my 45 days of PCS leave I was able to put on 25 lbs to where I was at 175ish. But since coming to Hawaii I went back down to 150. Now I'm struggling to keep myself at 165. I have to eat so drat much it makes me want to puke to sustain this weight.

Oh and crossfit isn't too bad. You kinda have to be in shape but not really. If you can't do the weight for the WOD just go as light as possible and build up from there. I got no shame in doing the same weight as the girls for squats and stuff because I can't get my form right with heavier weight.

Kaliber fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 10, 2012

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Ugh... In my unit the only time we do PT is Wed in the afternoons for a weekly crossfit WOD. Each team comes up with one a week and last week was my team's responsibility to do one. I was gone for dunker training all week so I wrote a quick one up. Really easy and it was

20 reps of Wall ball toss (20LBS or 14LBS), Blurpees, box jump (20 inch or 14 inch box) and a 100meter sprint.

Followed by 15, 10, 5 reps. Somehow he didn't feel like that was challenging enough without doing the WOD himself like we're suppose to, changes everything up to include dead lifts (recommended weight he wanted was 195) blurpees, box jumps, cleans and jerks, push presses (150 LBS) for 20 reps, 15, 10 and 5. A few guys managed to hurt themselves and it was a cluster gently caress and he blames it on me for not planning my work out on power point and that he had to come up with one on power point last minute to present it to first sgt. Even though we usually just write it on the white board and explain it to everyone. I don't know how he didn't understand what I wanted. It was an easy one.

So this week while I'm doing my SERE thing, he wanted me to do another one cause he has to redo the WOD. This one is super simple.

3 wall ball tosses, 2 blurpees. Repeat 30 times with a 20LB med ball for recommended sets. or 30 reps with a 14lb med ball. If you're just starting out 19 reps with a 14lb ball. Easy, no way to mess this up, should take 9 to 13 minutes. Let's see him screw up another one of my work outs.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Just got back from Washington on TDY.

Lived it up in a hotel and worked out that 4 days out of the 6 I was there in the lovely hotel gym. It only had free weights up to 50 lbs and it sucked rear end.

Was eating like crap. Hotel breakfast or cereal, sandwich for lunch, and went to a restaurant where I blew about $50+ a night eating 20 ounce steaks or something greasy and unhealthy with alot of booze. I left at 168 and came back at 161. So unhappy about that because I keep losing weight. Not sure if it's water weight that I'm losing or muscle mass.

Oh well, got ALC in Benning in about a week so for that entire month I'm going into beast mode. Non stop lifting after class and stuffing my face fill of protein shakes and disgusting chow hall food. Cutting out the crossfit for a month should help me bulk up some.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Defleshed posted:

I am having this problem since I work out on my lunch break at the free gym our building has for us. The dumbbells only go to 50 and with things like dumbbell rows and overhead press I am stuck using 50's when I know I can use more. We have no barbells :(

Gonna talk to the guys who run it, see if we can get some heavier weights in since there are a few of us who have this problem. Unfortunately, the gym is designed for all the fat middle-aged women in the building who come in and slowly pedal on a stationary bike for half an hour while reading Redbook.

I might end up having to spring for a Planet Fitness membership, but I hate trying to lift or do cardio after work when all I want to do is sit down and play video games.

Planet fitness? The gym that kicks you out when you grunt?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ6OrO1f610

If some fat gym manager kicks me out for grunting, I would be so pissed.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

I been trying out alot of different things for PT now that I don't have to do the standard army PT and everything is on my own now.

I did heavy lifting for about a year. I was up to 180 pounds with a waist of 30inches and 42 inch shoulders and a 15 1/2 inch neck. I was able to do about 80 push ups chest to ground and all the way up in about a minute and a half, so I never really tried to push it pass that once I maxed it and 80 sit ups in the 2 minute mark to max that. My run time was horrible though. I was doing about a 15:50 to 16:20 for my 2 miles.

Decided that was really horrible because the army not about brute strength and all about endurance and stamina.... I had no endurance always finishing with horrible times for the weekly unit cross fit stuff, so I dropped about 30 pounds within 2 months with a diet change, lighter weights and cross fit twice a week. Still don't run at all, but because of crossfit I'm now up to 160ish (it goes up and down about 10 pounds depending on if I'm taking supplements IE protein, creatine, and etc) but my push ups and sit ups are still maxed out, my max bench is about 50 pounds lighter now, I'm alot more lean and ripped, and my cardio is amazing. I shaved off about 2 minutes off my run time for my last assessment PT test and I wasn't really even trying and my 4 mile run time was at around 32 minutes... Which isn't too bad considering I haven't run over 2 miles in about 2 years now.

I just tried yoga today. Mainly because I'm trying to get into the pants of an E6 from the 2 shop and she invited me along when I asked her if she wanted to go on a run with me today. gently caress that poo poo. It's hard. Though some of the girls in there were sexy as hell. And I spent 2 hours staring at the Marine's rear end and camel toe

With ALC coming up next week I'm thinking about bulking up hardcore again. It's not like I'm going to have anything to do while I'm there and there's really no need for cardio... My chain of command told me that under no circumstance was I allowed to go to ranger school (ALC in Benning had a memo saying they can get you slots and will pay for it, but because of how long the school is and chances of me getting hurt/recycled, the unit can't afford to lose me for 3-6months because of all the missions I'm slotted for.)

Kaliber fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 29, 2012

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Yoga is amazing. Girls who can put their one leg behind their head while standing on the other foot.....

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

The girl I went to do yoga with totally wants me now. All my awkward flirting didn't go anywhere until I showed her I can put both leg over my head.... Yoga for the win......

Changing up my work out for ALC. I think I'm going to add the row machine in for 15minutes to end my work outs. How's that for cardio?

Kaliber fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Mar 2, 2012

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

I just really really really hate running and avoid it no matter what. For almost 2 years I did absolutely no cardio or anything high intensity. It was just straight weight lifting to lose weight and not look like a fat rear end anymore. Which was awesome. I leaned up, my overall PT shot up, and I passed my last PT test with a 15:54 on my run. The only event I didn't max out. But I was also 20 pounds heavy at the time.

Started cross fit and I leaned out alot more, and my run is now a 14:30 for 2 miles, did an unit PT test that included a 4 mile run and I came in at 32:14. Which really isn't too bad for not never running at all. I would love to max out the PT test, but I honestly do not want to get on the track or street and just run. I honestly rather nail my balls to a tree.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

I was bored and super stiff from land nav'ing through mud and woods and having to run 7 clicks through it to get back to my finish point because it took me almost a hour to go up and down a trail looking for my last 2 points due to mud and getting abit dehydrated from all the supplements I recently started taking to bulk up.

Did a quick WOD in the Audie Murphy gym on Benning.

A circuit of
185 lbs dead lifts 10x
95lbs Push Press 10x
35KG Kettlebell swing 10x
14 LBS wallball 15x

4 sets for time.

Was super smoked afterwards but nice and loose. Then I ate lunch, took a nap and now everything aches again.

Tomorrow I think I'm going to skip out on my rest day and do a WOD of 3 wall balls with the 14 lbs, then 2 blurpees and and repeat 29 times as fast as possible.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

I finally gave in to see what the big fuss everyone is making about Jack3d. Next thing i know I'm in the gym for 3 hours and did 10 reps of 135, 10reps of 185, 8reps of 205, and 6 reps of 225.... I usually never go pass 205. Then dumbbell pressed 65, 75, 85, and 95 at reps of 9, 9, 8, 5. That poo poo is like loving crack.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

So while at ALC I been attempting to bulk up. Day after day of 3 meals at the chow hall, tuna/protein shakes in between meals, junk food whenever I do, a med pizza every night. I gained only 2 pounds and lost some definition in my abs. What the gently caress? This is horse poo poo. I blame all that hardcore PRT. But my bench did go up like crazy.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

smertrioslol posted:

Medium pizza does not translate into definition in your abs. Cut that out.

I eat two pieces of chicken + vegetable for breakfast and scrambled eggs + everything (no cheese) for lunch. Tuna between meals. Protein shake after lifting. Every. Single. Day. Chow hall food makes me sad. But hey, I look great!

I think a portion of the cash I made on this deployment is going to go to making my own crossfit garage gym. It doesn't look like it would be THAT expensive (especially when you have a large amount of disposable income sitting in your bank account that will probably otherwise go to beer).

Huh? I'm not trying to lean out. Trying to bulk up back to the 180 I use to be before I got to Hawaii. Currently at 166 and trying to get up to 175. Not worried about my abs at all. I can see them through my shirt when I put on underarmor so it's all cool. Just eating as sloppy/much as possible to put on some fast weight. As gross as it makes me feel, it's just as unhealthy to eat in the chow hall anyways. When I'm done with ALC in about 2 weeks it'll be chicken/tuna/protein shakes about 10 times a day like when I was bigger. On the bright note, my shoulders/upper body has been looking massive lately compared to when I been cutting in preparation for my PT test.

Kaliber fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Mar 27, 2012

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

psydude posted:

I figured this is probably the place to ask, given the collection of swole people: anyone here ever worked as a bar bouncer? I'm thinking about doing it to make some extra cash on the weekends, but am wondering what actually sucks about the job other than working odd hours and standing for long periods of time.

My old roommate was a bouncer back before he enlisted. He said it involved beating the poo poo out of people with a mob of other bouncers. Sounds loving fun to me.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

I got dropped from the ranger school program thing they are doing in ALC because my run time really really really sucks. I did 5 miles in 39:30. First time in the whole month I been here I was able to finally make time.... 1SG here at ALC wants people to do atleast 36 before he blesses them for pre ranger. I feel so lovely I want to lay in bed and never get up

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Yeah. I'm the same way. For my 2 mile PT test for ALC I did my first mile in 6:30. Then I finished at 15:20....... I was so smoked and out of breath my second mile that I was doing an airborne shuffle/slow run.

Running is stupid. The army needs to invent me some robot legs.

Kaliber fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Apr 1, 2012

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

psydude posted:

I thought the standard at Ranger School was 40 minutes?

It is, but I'm not in Ranger school. Infantry ALC has this thing where TRADOC will pay for ranger school and everything while you're in Benning as long as your unit gives the ok to go. But the catch is you have to do special PT (which is awesome cause I got to do real actual PT and didn't have to learn any of that PRT stuff) and take a RPFT every week to asset where you're at. The 1SG of ALC's standards are 55 push ups to form, 60 something sit ups and 15 pull ups and the run in 36 minutes to give you that leeway when you're doing the actual RPFT and not fail out. I think it's pretty fair.

He said he'll let you go still if you're there but not quite there yet. But the only problem is my run time. It's my best time so far and so borderline he doesn't know if I'll be able to make it or not when I do the actual run. So I got dropped in favor of the people who can meet his standards on the run. Kinda sucks because push ups/sit ups/pull ups I'm one of the 5 people who gets the highest scores for as anal as they grade it.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

psydude posted:

Would they entertain the possibility of sending you to sapper school instead?

Nope. Asked about airborne, sapper and etc. Though I did meet a sniper instructor doing a MTT to hawaii who said to give him a call when I get back to be a walk on.

The thing with ranger is the lack of tabbed infantry NCOs in the army today. Alot of 11b E5s and E6s said gently caress it cause of all our multiple back to back deployments, so now only like 20% of E5s and even less E6s are tabbed. Which means when we become senior NCOs it will be almost non existent on the SNCO level in a few years. Or something like that. Wasn't paying much attention during the brief. Which is why there's such a big push for it nowadays in tradoc.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

psydude posted:

If they want everyone to be ranger tabbed, then they should make it part of loving NCOES.

Well they do offer it to every NCO going through NCOES here on Benning as long as they meet the requirements of the 1SG and get approved by their units. I probably got the pull ups wrong. I think I did 15 when he wanted 10? Or something like that.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

smertrioslol posted:

Oh, I agree. Most people who I've run into who only do crossfit are such douchebag fitness elitists that it's impossible to have a conversation with them that doesn't end with you wanting to punch them in the mouth.

But the workouts are so good.

This.

I think crossfit is some sort of weird cult..... No one but one of the really buff instructors really talk to me there while we're waiting for our group to start. They just interact with the other people wearing the stupid crossfit t-shirts.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

What I hate about Smith Gym at Benning? loving 100000000 swole rear end loving Rangers everywhere all the time.

Can't wait to go back to Hawaii where I can choose between Pearl Harbor or the Hickam Gym, or go home and relax and then go to Shafter where it's empty 24/7 cause it's all lazy pogues who never work out and I'm one of the regulars/stronger more in shape guys.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Ashmole posted:

Haha I was just there. I feel inferior every trip, but everyone there just does "bro" exercises. The squat rack is very rarely used for squatting.

Like just there right now? If you were, you probably saw me. Asian guy with his chest puffed out wearing a white t-shirt 2 sizes too small doing chest/back/abs

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

I haven't had a smoothie there yet. I usually go around 19:30ish when the place dies down and I can actually get in a good work out.

That's awesome that your push ups are going way up! And I wouldn't be too worried about the guys there and the weights you throw up. When I first started working out in Afghanistan I was barely able to bench the 95 pounds for more than 2 sets. Now I can dumbbell press 95 LBS in each hand. I was always embarrassed of that and used it as an excuse not to hit the gym. Then I said gently caress it, everyone started somewhere right?

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

I just do 20 reps of weighed dips for 5 sets to help with my push ups. it's basically the same movement.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

This girl from my unit said she isn't going to fall for my lines to get into her pants.... Fast forward a few weeks I told her I would do a few runs with her and signed up for one. Then encouraged her to do a marathon and somehow agreed to it too.... I'm 100% positive I'm getting laid as soon as I see her.... But I'm also running 26 loving miles... I ran the 5 for the ranger thing and almost died...... Now I have to run that and 21 more... The poo poo i do for pussy.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Tysterisk posted:

Can't forget the old faithful Iliotibial Band Syndrome, that's always a fun one.

Don't know how I'm going to handle 6 months of BCT and AIT with no lifting. MAH GAINS! :byodood:

that makes no sense. You jackasses are allowed to drink and have gay sex with each other in hotels and wear civilians off duty and poo poo in AIT. Why would you not be able to hit the gym?

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

gently caress CrossFit, where do I sign up for a coed volleyball team?

My back/shoulders are starting to get huge. Not bro big but normal guy big.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

invision posted:

Sorry about your tats man.

Oh yeah. Getting them when I was 140 pounds with no muscles were a terrible idea. My shoulders use to be 36? inches... Now it's about 42.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

He should see my moto tattoo on my legs then.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

when he's doing a bench press offer to spot him for his max weight and then drop the weight on his face and kill him.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Drank a 18 pack, haven't slept in 3days, and did a 5k this morning. Got a lovely time of 25:14 because I ran out of steam 2.3 miles into it. I was doing a 7:45 pace and then just cramped the hell up. Oh well. Back to drinking.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

ok who wrote this comment

Brandon Burns · Purcellville, Virginia
Muscle Pharm is there enough creatine in assault to cause me to pop hot on the army drug test?
Reply · Like · Follow Post · Friday at 5:15pm

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

nuncle jimbo posted:

In short, how big are you infantry guys? Big lifts are good for everyone, sure, but at what point is a bunch of muscle more harmful than good for doing your job - when it finally makes you too slow?

As long as you can pass an APFT, carry alot of weight and maintain a 13-15minute mile pace for road marches, and be able to carry weight and carry it for a very long time you'll be good.

I'm on the lean side. 5'9, 170 pounds and do mostly lifting with a bit of crossfit on the side and just started to add running 4+ miles three times a week into the mixture. It's a fine line to have decent cardio and being swole. I just realized the army will never allow me to be a big giant steroid looking freak and try to be a jack of all trades.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

psydude posted:

So it just turned summer here, complete with crushing humidity. Man, I am NOT acclimated to the heat yet: my run was brutal.

I got sunburned real bad on my 6mile run on Pearl Harbor/Hickam Air Base. Running on non Army bases are awesome because I can go shirtless

How hot is it where you're at right now?

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Go heavy when legs days brah.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

I just did the gunstock half marathon trail run in Hawaii.

Elevation gain was 1,743 ft. I just started doing cardio 2weeks ago. 4 mile runs at a 9:30 to 10minute pace.

At the half marathon was one of the crossfit instructors who's a beast. Completes in the crossfit games and all that crap. I beat her by almost 25minutes.

Lesson of the story? I don't loving run EVER unless it's a PT test and still smoked someone who does CrossFit and HIIT and just lifts weights. So gently caress you crossfit.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Don't care! All I hear them do is preach paleo and how CrossFit will make you a better athlete, how it's the end all of all work outs, how it will make you good at everything you do and a better soldier and poo poo.

One of the dudes in my unit is all "I was 220 lbs and because of CrossFit/paleo I'm 300 on my PT test, 150, and have a 6pack and etc etc"

It's annoying and I hate the cult of CrossFit

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

I had a PL like that too. He was like YOU'RE AN E5 AND CAN'T RUN LOWER THAN A 14:30?!?!?!? OR STAY IN MY 5-6 MILE RUNS @ A 7 MINUTE PACE?!

It's was like "No douche. I can barely sustain a loving 2 mile doing 7 minute mile without puking my guts out. What the gently caress makes you think I can do it for loving 5 or 6?"

But he could barely do 50 push ups....

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOWdp2h00Ho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

And the Marines according to Terminal Lance
http://terminallance.com/2012/07/26/terminal-lance-214-meritorious/