Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

ManOfTheYear posted:

A lot earlier in this thread there was the link for the article "Why army wants me weak?" and it was about the importance of strength training for modern warfare. I've been watching the documentaries "Two weeks in hell" and "surviving the cut" and most of the PT that any of the people did in any of the episodes was running, swimming and calisthenics, and they did that poo poo a lot. I've also been reading Mark Lauren's "You are your own gym" bodyweight fitness book and the author is a Navy Seal and he preaches on calisthenics.

How come the article and all that special forces stuff are opposites of each other? I understand that a nomal soldier's job is very different from those other guys, but still, why such bare bones training is enough for these green beret dudes but regular soldiers are in need of heavy lifting? I think the only people who werte mentioned of lifting weights were the PJs, but there were no footage of them with barbells or anything.

The strength based stuff was more about practical needs of regular soldiers. Carrying heavy stuff, getting up and over walls, being blown up etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
I pretty much wont ever go to the gym alone because I am a lazy shameful man. The few times I have gone alone I wont bench because I know the one time I try that alone the random stranger I asked to spot will be too busy staring at some girl while I strangle (under a shamefully small amount of weight).