Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.
I've gotten so out of shape the last year I gained 40 lbs and was a third time go for my IST APFT. It took me three tries to get a score of 100/100/68.

2nd drill at my new unit I led PT with the Gotch Bible. When I did that at my old unit they recommended I never be allowed to have a deck of cards again.

I was in pretty good shape in Afghanistan where I had nothing better to do than Take N.O.-XPLODE, PT, NIPR all day, take HYDROXYCUT, buy out all the tuna in the PX, take N.O.-XPLODE, and MMA all night. I need another deployment.

Anyways, my PT tip is take your supplements every day and be better than you were yesterday. Also, go to AIRBORNE school. Being AIRBORNE means being a better breed of Soldier where soldierly things become more important in your mind. The difference in mindset before and after I went to AIRBORNE school is like the difference before and after taking N.O.-XPLODE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

the yellow dart posted:

You can really use it any time although once I took it before BJJ and I felt really, really way too hot. Uncomfortable, but you can lift a goddamn truck with that stuff in your system.

Also I just clocked a 99.3 on the PFA, 7 more pushups next year :argh:

For some reason the NO supplements work great for me in the gym or on the treadmill but range from barely noticeable to regrettable mistake for martial arts classes.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

After numerous failed attempts I timed my final attempt to quit smoking to coincide with being so sick from strep throat that I couldn't smoke for three days. In the nearly four years since then my tobacco use has been limited to a few cigars and a hilariously failed attempt at a cigarette that made me realize I forgot how to smoke.

I'm surprised the cravings dropped off after a while to where I didn't have any while deployed. Hanging out by the smoking area of the bars was a weird experience too.

Also, it was soon after I stopped smoking that I started taking my N.O.XPLODE and becoming super HOOAH in the gym.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Diver Dick posted:

Breakfast of champions

Oh how I miss C4. I was recommended to try RAVAGE at GNC because it doesn't have the ingredient that the army is cracking down on... and it tastes absolutely horrible to the point that I can't take it. Screw this I'm going back to C4 or Jack3d.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Real leaders get fat, pencil whip their test, and then yell at their soldiers for being pussies when they don't max.

I just had my section sergeant pencil whip the gently caress out of my body fat test so I could go to school

"Hmm the computer doesn't round that right, lets measure you again and use the paper form."

Actual APFT is this Saturday. I am relatively sure that I will not pass the run.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

APFT report: 80/74/16'30" for a score of 256. 12 people took the APFT today. 5 passed. I'm going to drill early tomorrow to help some of them with remedial PT.

The guy with the best run time failed sit ups. WTF?

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

moker posted:

I'm gonna be that guy but im so happy i set a deadlift pr today after just 2 months back in the gym i got 505 :D :D :D :D

I totally lost my deadlift. Could not lift 275 more than two reps today. Kill me now.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Guys, I have an APFT this weekend and I'm estimating a 25% chance of passing the run.

I'm also too fat for the army. Can I get liposuction to make tape?

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

psydude posted:

Went to the Relax-Relax-Relax method for an easy 240.

Of the 1,020 seconds alloted for the 2 mile run, I needed 1,016 of them.

I'm still too fat for the army.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

I ran relatively hard on the treadmill this morning and have been mentally confused and light headed at work all day. That's a good sign, right?

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

MurderBot posted:

Um, did you eat and drink after your workout? Usually people who feel like complete rear end for long periods of time after a good run are a bit dehydrated as well as needing(needed) some carbs post workout.

However, feeling like your did work is pretty much always a sign that you did something right.

16 oz Gatorade and a protein bar an hour later. I ran about as hard today and don't feel light headed, so that's improvement.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

I've cut my caloric intake by half trying to no longer be too fat for the army. I've cut 15 lbs and barely losing any mental focus. I'm making this a one plate Thanksgiving. Maybe next time I'll get more than 61 points on the run too.

I need to pass tape so I can get MOS qualified. Hopefully I'll pass tape at the next drill.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Ok, I'm tired of being too fat for the army. I've been on a diet for the past three weeks coming ever so close to passing tape. (225 lbs, 16.5" neck, 40.5" waist, need 22.5 difference)

My diet is approximately 1600-200 calories/day. My PT plan is pretty much wake up -> C4 -> treadmill at varying speed and distance/time. (an hour @ 6.5mph today, 2 miles @15'/break/2 miles @16' yesterday, etc.)

My first goal is lose weight/pass tape which through sheer stubbornness will happen although I am unsure of what an appropriate timeline that will be.

Second goal which will take longer I need an idea of how feasible it is. 300 APFT.
My last APFT I weighed in at 237, and ran the 2 miles in 16'54". How much weight am I going to have to lose to consider beating 13'18"?

The best time I ever had was about 14'50" and could expect around 15'30" with dedicated training and weighing less than 205.

When do I switch my focus from weight loss to run time improvement?
The other two events are suboptimal but not as difficult to imagine achieving after weight loss then maxing out the run.

Odds are next APFT will be in April. Who wants to join me in the max out challenge?

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

Running at a constant speed never worked for me when it came to training for the run. Try HIIT. It's basically walk or jog for about two minutes and SPRINT, like balls the wall dogs are chasing you RUN FOR YOU LIFE SPRINT, for a minute. Your diet is most important, don't cheat, eat good stuff, cut out sugar etc etc etc. Losing weight helps a ton, but cardio is a bitch. Take a week off and you'll hurt bad.

60/120 intervals worked a lot for me before, that's pretty much my APFT run style that got me to 15'30". Now I'm so weak I can't maintain 6 minute long sprints. I'm planning on getting back to that once I've slimmed down a significant amount. Are you aiming for 300?

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

After a week long unsustainable and temporary cut I'm no longer too fat for the army (16" neck, 38" waist!). Now I get to slow down a bit on my weight loss goal and focus on getting faster. Today's PT was APFT 2 mile simulation 60"/120" on the treadmill at 9.0, 6.6 mph, 0 inc.

Today's weigh in was 221, goal is under 200 by February 1, 2013.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

I slacked off the past week and my weight ballooned up to 224, but after going back on caloric restriction, today's weigh in was 218. I only had ten minutes for PT this morning so I did 3 pullups and 8/6/5 reps of 185lbs incline bench. The AGRs are doing INSANITY now, but I have to go to a civilian job. Gosh darn I miss AGR.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

What's up with treadmills just deciding not to work anymore while you're using them? One decides to shut down if I go at speed of 9.0-10.0 with a "check speed system" message and the other two stopped abruptly at speeds of about 7.5/8.0.

Is this a sign I'm too heavy to be running fast on treadmills? The idea of having to perform maintenance is why I won't buy one for home.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

vacation in kabul posted:

It's a sign that wherever you're working out at they need to replace the treadmills.

I go to the armory because PT is free. I think they get their treadmills as hand me downs from the bigger armory across the state.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Red Crown posted:

It's blizzarding out so I went running wearing the Marines shirt I got from one of those recruiting mailings. I'm not sure if I'm trying too hard.

I wore my Winter PT uniform with gloves, green fleece cap, and reflective belt while running four miles around my neighborhood this morning. I feel like a rebel for wearing a different T-Shirt underneath my jacket though.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Martello posted:

Just keep your push ups and sit ups at 100 points each and get really huge and worse at running. Running is for fags anyway. Score a 270 and you'll be fine.

If I got really good at push ups and sit ups I would score a 260.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

MurderBot posted:

Also why the gently caress would you take a pre-work out before running?

Because jack3d makes me feel awesome. I'm fat and not a good runner. Would I still benefit from blood doping?

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Veins McGee posted:

but if you log your workouts in here, then how will all the curvy goonettes know you workout? How will you make funny quips for YLLS credit? How will anyone know that you even lift at all????

edit: leg days are gay.

They wouldn't understand. Either this thread is the "What did you do for PT today?" thread or we should make a new one for that purpose.

7/8/2013 AM: 60' treadmill at 6.0mph, .5inc

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Why all the Haterade? We all need to be Army Strong every day, and I am gonna pump it up like I'm G.I. Bro.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Kaliber posted:

Guys, my new goal is to eat everything in sight, lift heavy and do absolutely no cardio and be the biggest Asian ever. So big people will think I'm an fat islander.

But yeah. Been doing a bunch of cardio lately to cut. Winter is coming and I'm not on missions anymore so I gotta show off the 6pack.

Doing a high rep, low weight, dropset work out with super light cardio everyday and dieting like crazy. Except for Saturdays when I drink beer and eat cheese burgers.

Forget islander, can you go for the Bolo Yeung look?

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

holocaust bloopers posted:

Seriously because coffee is awesome.

I hate the taste of coffee. My morning drink is C4, and it gets me to bench like a maniac this morning. 3x8@225 Hooah!

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

I got it in my head that I want to run a half marathon in less than two weeks without adequate training. This morning I ran about 5.2 miles in 61 minutes. I'm guessing it will take me about 2 hours 45 minutes to run a half marathon. I have a feeling I'm going to be limping for a week after that.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

elite_garbage_man posted:

3x1 mile ruck intervals + 1 mile jog 5 minute rest between all intervals
10:00 no traffic + hills
11:05 traffic + lsmall incline
10:38 traffic + hills
1 mile jog in boots (untimed)

ruck weight: 57# + 1L of water

I present the apparatus of pain:

That hurts my back just looking at it. Today I ran about 7.4 miles in about 1:24'. It felt like I lost all energy and speed after the first hour, but ended up only losing 2-3 minutes between turning around and finishing. It's going to be a PITA to add limping along at 4.5mph for nearly 2 hours to finish the race.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Hit the gym for a short PT session of bench press warming up with 10@ 135,225 and pyramiding down 5 to 1 reps from 245-265 and 3x10@115 lat pulldowns. I'm starting to appreciate the advantage of occasionally running outside for PT is not driving 12 miles to the gym and back every morning.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

I just ran about 10 miles in about 2:05'. Once again I felt a significant decrease in energy and speed after the first hour. By the last half mile I was jogging at about walking speed barely able to lift my feet. With one week to go till the race, I'm hoping sheer stubbornness and adrenaline will keep me running to the finish. Until then I'm going to be overcome with anticipation and jitters.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

elite_garbage_man posted:

Get some energy gels/chewables that have some caffeine and carbs in them, and take it prior to and during the race. Make sure to take a pre-race dump because of the caffiene.

I use GU stuff since some flavors don't have caffiene, but there a lot of other decent brands out there too. I use a caffeinated gel prior to a workout, and the no caffeine chews (which are small gummies) during the events. Make sure to read the directions, and don't wait until race day to try it out.

I bought the GU today, I'll try them Tuesday, and after that get my mind right for the race Saturday.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Did my first half marathon today... after about twenty minutes I was regretting signing up. I had significant shin splint pain and my calves were too tight. I was running worse than my training runs. There were a couple times during the first 45 minutes I had to slow down to walking. I was aiming for 2 hours 40' and was wondering if I could make it in 3 hours. After my first gel the pain dulled and I was able to keep going. I hit the turn around at about 1 hour 17 minutes and for the first time ever managed to run faster the second half. Ended up finishing between 2:29'10" and 2:29'15".

Next goal is to get that time under 2 hours in time for an event 9 months away.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

NovaLion posted:

Came off permanent profile finally, because gently caress that noise. Just took a pt test and holy poo poo I suck. I've got 3 months to get ready for a better score. Any advice?

N.O. Xplode and simulate at least one test event per training day. You should be good within two months.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Ashmole posted:

I broke sub 14's for the first time ever running. I'm not sure if its the altitude of camp casey or the mandatory rucks, but I'm surprised since I gained like 15 lbs since my last pt test. I get to wear that gay little badge now (seriously who wears that).

I want my circle thing, but it would take training of deployment proportions to get me sub 15 let alone sub 14. I estimate I'm gonna need 17'30" of my allotted 17'42" next week.
And I got 77/72/15'46". It must have been my lucky day.

Crazy Mike fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 3, 2014

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

It's time to start training for summer swolestice. Yesterday I wanted to see how much I could bench. Turns out I could get one rep at 290. Surprised the hell out of me considering I failed at 275 a few weeks ago. Considering my personal best was 295 a few years ago, I'm going to make the attempt to get up to 3 plates in the next 6 weeks. I typically do 5x5 on the bench from 225-245. Today I got it up to 245-265.

I'm also thinking I need to get back to doing squats and deadlifts again, even if my numbers are worse than bench press and I have to wear a belt. My back hurt after 1 squat at 225 and I was like WTF?

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

pkells posted:

Yoga pants make the gym a fun place for me.

If I ever feel like spending money and wearing something besides army pt shorts to the gym, I want stars and stripes zubas and yin yang covered tank tops.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

It's been a week with no update from all y'all Army Strong Swolediers?

I got my bench press up to 5x5@265 this morning. Unfortunately I can't deadlift 305 twice.

Pretty soon the hammer is going to drop on all the APFT failures around here and they are going to get processed for separation. It doesn't help that we're getting T-25 advice like you can get in shape with 20 minutes of Tabata training or you don't need to go to the gym two hours a day to pass your APFT. Looking at the failures in my unit they need think about going to the gym more, not less. Too bad the days of E2s getting their 20 year letter are over cuz it's going to suck for them by years end.

I got a 267 last APFT. Some units like to have a company standard of 270, this one has such soft bigotry of low expectations that our company standard is 250. We need to put Jack3d in the MREs or something here.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

friend of the family DEATH TURBO posted:

you once referred to an APFT as your own personal Normandy because you were so worried you wouldn't get 180, don't act all hard rear end swolebro now

The APFT is hard. If it was easy we wouldn't have any failures. I'm here to have fun and be the armyest guy in the unit, but I hate seeing people screwed over because they have less physical abilities than the more athletic among us, and I hate people who are naturally athletic thinking since its easy for them it is easy for everyone.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Vasudus posted:

Hoooooooly gently caress.

The APFT is easy as gently caress. If you fail it, you're a worthless sack of poo poo that doesn't belong in the Army.

I was about as non-athletic as it gets. I almost failed the 1.5 mile run before BCT. I then focused myself, gained nearly 60 pounds (112 -> 174) and then scored 270+ for the remainder of my time.

If you're fat, stop eating garbage, eat good things and work out more.

If you're skinny, stop eating garbage, eat more good things and work out more.

If you're broken, get it documented, get a profile, and then deal with it.

If you're just a lazy sack of poo poo that can't focus on something as simple as 'run fast, lift your own weight, do situps' then I don't know what to tell you.

You were a loving surge baby, weren't you? I hate you.

I feel every soldier that is involuntarily administratively separated is a failure of leadership as well as a failure of the soldier, and your simplistic dismissive attitude is part of the problem instead of the solution. If you are sufficiently motivated, you can get in army strong shape. The challenge I'm having is figuring out how to motivate someone so far below the bell curve so that they can achieve the standard.

I am trying to be the example going from APFT failure to super Swoledier, but I am not seeing much improvement or intensity from the deficient soldiers who need it the most.

And while budgetary concerns may make admin separations attractive, it's not fun for the soldiers in question, or me having to witness it. You may be right that APFT failures do not belong in the army, but I would rather raise them up than admin sep them.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

holocaust bloopers posted:

Well what did the on-base GNC guy have to say?

C4 is on the way out, the new product is Neon Sport Volt.
http://www.highintensitysupplements.com/reviews/neon-sport-volt-review-2/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

315 maxed out bench press this morning. After achieving such a sought after goal I feel strangely empty inside. Screw it, taking more C4 until I'm Super Swoledier.