Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Pushups are easy. Do more pushups. When you're done with pushups, do more pushups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Went to the gym this morning before work. Did squats, presses, and power cleans. Felt good.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

psydude posted:

I can't do morning gym. I've tried to force myself over the years and have really just found that my motivation is never there.

It's either that or after work. That isn't an option because I've been at work 14 hours and I just want to sleep at that point.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I like black powder, myself.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

overdesigned posted:

Run 3 days a week
Lift 3 days a week

Eat fuckin protein
Don't fuckin drink

I'm not sure you're in the right forum with that kind of advice.

Also, went to get a quick lift in before work. Some fucker was doing deadlifts with the bumper plates for over 45 loving minutes when I left the gym. I just wanted to crank out a few quick lifts. I ended up using a squat rack when one came clear. I mean, I'm all fine for you taking your time, but when you're spending the majority of your time loving looking in the mirror and walking around, gently caress off.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

So I ripped one of my hernias back open. Not sure if it was in RI or down here at the gym, but hurts like hell. Spent 4 hours at the military hospital ER last night just so I could get some good pain pills until I can actually get in to see someone about a surgical consult. No lifting for me for a while :ohdear:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Godholio posted:

800mg Motrin?

No. I did get some more of those, but doc onboard gave me that.

I got some 5/325 percocets.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Rrail posted:

edit: wtf double post god drat steve jobs and his iphone

No that's because you use awful.app

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Also run at a 10 minute pace or slower. No need to loving kill yourself over it. There's a reason the phrase "It's a marathon, not a race" exists.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Arch enemy is also great for getting a good pump on.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It is entirely possible to lift and not get a giant gut.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The navy tape the measure your waist and subtract your neck and check on the chart. The only way you really fail is if you have a bigass gut.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Loss of neck fat?!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm just saying unless they have some comically huge neck (which I can only seem to find on really fat fucks), the neck is not a place that appreciably stores any fat.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

xwonderboyx posted:

My command was exclusive to the CT rating. That should tell you all you need to know.

Neck fat it is, then.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Squats rule. Deadlifts rule. I can't do anything and haven't been able to for months :( I can't wait until I can get back in the gym. Pain be damned. I'm going to hurt anyways. I don't want to get flabby.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I upgraded my macbook to an SSD today. That meant browsing my old drive of what to keep or way to get rid of. I found a picture of me right before my knee surgery. I've gotta get back to it. I'm fat as poo poo right now compared to this.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

xwonderboyx posted:

Now you probably look like a real officer.

Not quite that bad, but I'm a little... softer than i used to be. I don't like it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I already am when I go back to west Texas, but it isn't good enough. I'm going to look like that again. I've been jacked, and I will return.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

They can also send stuff off for spice now, at command discretion. There was a navadmin about it a couple of months ago.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Lucky jeans work for me.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Veins McGee posted:

Is there an officer in GIP who benches more than Deathy's bitch rear end?

Before I got crippled, yes. Now I would have trouble putting that much on the bar but I'm sure I could again with a little bit of time. Deathy and I ate at Jr Seau's restaurant once and drank after. He's an A-ok guy in my book.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm at a national chain gym that doesn't have a single flat bench in it. No barbells. Only dumbells.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Planet Fitness

Yup. Will not be purchasing a one month pass from them. Will not be returning either. I haven't lifted in forever and had no energy today, yet I still was maxed out on dumbells with their flat bench.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

AHEM they had up to 75 lbs dumbbells.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

PF caters to fatties. There's no doubt about it. If you really want to lift, a prerequisite is actually having real weight.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

If you have any appreciable muscle mass (IE you work out somewhat) than BMI is going to be way off for you anyways. It's an ok scale for most sedentary Americans to tell them they're fat lazy fucks.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

gleep gloop posted:

Why the gently caress would you rather do more army than go to an ivy league school?!

He misses out so much on the greenie weenie that he wants to wear it on his head now.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm sitting on the floor because I'm a pushover to an 8 pound dog. Just started curling my toes up over the carpet and gently caress yeah that works the shins.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

If you ripped open a hernia, you would have known instantly. You would have felt a definite pop followed immediately by a burning stabbing pain.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

This is a guy I used to work with and all around awesome dude. He got his pro card back in 2011 and is shooting for natural olympia next.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/military-bodybuilder-of-the-month-arvin-combs.html

He says get out and lift a weight. He spent a few years in the army before joining the navy and is up for E-9 as a sonar tech. Dude loving owns.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Good lifts, both of you.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

holocaust bloopers posted:

I'm really inconsistent on the bench press. For the past month and some change, I've been stuck at 230 for a 5x5 where, on some days, I can hit 4 sets and the last one has to be split into a triple then double and on other days it's just a struggle to hit 3 sets. I think the simplest explanation to it is that I'm just lovely at the bench. My technique isn't dialed in like it is for the deadlift. It also doesn't help I have a nagging AC joint sprain from last summer that decides to flare up randomly so there's some days where I just can't even go past ~200 lb on the bench without more discomfort than usual.

I think it was abugadu in YLLS back when was W&W that posted an awesome bench press progression. It's one of the best I've seen and I know people who benched 300 before they started it that saw tremendous gains. I'll see if I still have the spreadsheet and link it if I do.

EDIT: Here you go: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15352783/bench.xls

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 16, 2013

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It's a drat good progression. It was agatsu that posted about it originally. If you have archives, here's his thread about it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3046983

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Organized gym PT and by organized I mean we were just told to go to the gym one morning with little to no supervision is how I got the hernia that later got the pinched nerve that has me in my current daily pain predicament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

As I get older I understand it more and more.