Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Completed a goruck challenge in New Orleans this past weekend. We ended up going 21.63 miles in 11 hours. Carried a log, swam through a swamp (that we discovered had alligators after the fact), and did some wacky poo poo on bourbon street. If you ever wanted to hang out with some bad mother fuckers sign up for one and go for it. We were drinking beer the entire time and going nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

The Casualty posted:

It's true. And they're obviously quite flexible. All it really takes to approach any hot yoga girl is to already be relatively athletic and coordinated, so that you don't come off as some creeper that is only there to stare at crotches. Needless to say I'm going back this fall.

Meeting cute girls was awesome, but the best thing ever though was this one girl, she didn't have the best figure, but for the first month she always wore a loose top with no sports bra and her tits would pop out at least once a week.

this made my morning!

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I've been doing crossfit for a while and did a regular heavy lift day yesterday and it was super fun an rewarding. I think I'm gonna lift at least 2 days a week now and crossfit 1 or 2 depending on how I'm feeling.

Also my numbers were terrible so I want to get strong again.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Well if you think you're good for selection try out https://www.goruckchallenge.com.

If you think you're supergood, try out https://www.goruckchallenge.com/selection/

Run by current and former green berets/other sf dudes like seals and recon marines

The funny thing is now that I'm out of the military I love this poo poo.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Christoff posted:

I've mentioned it before but I'm still real skeptical of crossfit. I'm not saying it doesn't make chicks hot (and dudes look normal) or kick your butt. But something about the total randomness of the workout sequence, the lack of some sort of standard amongst gym/teachers/whatever they call them. All that and the fact of doing intense compound lifts at high reps with poo poo form just for the sake of hitting a quota irks me. 45 deadlifts with improper form or whatever? I like my back.

The thing is, you can still do whatever you want. I don't give a gently caress if there's a workout that's 30 snatches in a row and then 30 heavy deadlifts. I'll either make the weight lighter so I can do it right, not do the workout at all and do my own thing, or just take my sweet rear end time. There are 3 dudes (out of about 140 members) in my gym who I give utmost respect and they all do the same thing.

I consider my monthly membership fee to be equipment and space rental. There's just an added perk of someone coming up with workouts for me because I'm especially lazy.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Kaliber posted:

This girl from my unit said she isn't going to fall for my lines to get into her pants.... Fast forward a few weeks I told her I would do a few runs with her and signed up for one. Then encouraged her to do a marathon and somehow agreed to it too.... I'm 100% positive I'm getting laid as soon as I see her.... But I'm also running 26 loving miles... I ran the 5 for the ranger thing and almost died...... Now I have to run that and 21 more... The poo poo i do for pussy.

But you ran that 5 balls out. I doubt you'll be doing a 7 minute mile pace for the marathon. So long as you don't burn yourself out, a marathon is easily doable. Especially if sex is on the line.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
When I was a CFL I routinely saw fatties lose upwards of 50 lbs only to still be overweight and have their bodyfat (according to the tape) go up. These guys just happened to lose a lot of fat in their neck area so the measurement decreased drastically in that area and not so much around the gut. I usually passed these guys because I can tell when someone is trying and when someone is a fat piece.

I worked with this one kid who was all, "I lift cause I want to be strong. I don't need to be fast or skinny." Yeah, sure dude, you're still fat and you're not that strong.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
People lose fat in different areas at different rates.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Henry Meowlins posted:

I'm just saying unless they have some comically huge neck (which I can only seem to find on really fat fucks), the neck is not a place that appreciably stores any fat.

My command was exclusive to the CT rating. That should tell you all you need to know.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Ran a Warrior Dash this weekend. Video is here!

25 lbs of bricks and 12 beers. Managed to drink 10 before the finish of the course (drank a lot before the start) and had a grand old time!

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Ashmole posted:

Deadlifts are great from a military standpoint too. Rucks are a joke if you do deadlifts.

Love deadlifts and love rucks so double yeah!

pkells posted:

Ugh, I went out drinking at a buddy's going away party tonight and I have a 10k race tomorrow morning in 8 hours. Oh well, I guess I carbed up on beer, and I still plan on setting a PR tomorrow.

You should just go balls out and drink during the 10k.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Kaliber posted:

Drank a 18 pack, haven't slept in 3days, and did a 5k this morning. Got a lovely time of 25:14 because I ran out of steam 2.3 miles into it. I was doing a 7:45 pace and then just cramped the hell up. Oh well. Back to drinking.

Thursday starting at noon I drank 1.5 liter bottle of Champagne, passed out at the gym (I was the only one there, the owner had some errands to run), woke up to finish my workout and drank a guiness while doing it, then I went drinking until the midnight showing of avengers. I fell asleep during the avengers but I'd say I still had a good time.

Drunk running and working out is awesome, although I felt like the shittiest poo poo on friday, which is okay because I had the day off.

What I'm saying is we need more stories like yours, Kaliber.

Edit: coach waking me up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYIpMO-0hX0

Fart Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 6, 2012

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Now you probably look like a real officer.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Nillerz posted:

Anybody got any super-cool ruckmarching tips? Also, any tips on how to strengthen ones shin-bones so I don't have to run like a retard?

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...1mk0JhTdw&pli=1

This is what SF uses as a guide for people preparing for selection. It's a pretty intense program but they have some good advice in there, too. Namely:

quote:

a. For forced marches, select boots that are comfortable and well broken-in (not worn out). Wear lightweight fatigues and thick socks (not newly issued socks). Army issue boots are excellent if fitted properly.
b. Utilize map and compass techniques whenever possible during forced march cross-country workouts.
c. Insoles specifically designed to absorb shock will reduce injuries.
d. Practice proper rucksack marching and walking techniques:
(1) Weight of body must be kept directly over feet, and sole of shoe must be flat on ground taking small steps at a steady pace.
(2) Knees must be locked on every step in order to rest muscles of the legs (especially when going uphill).
(3) When walking cross-country, step over and around obstacles; never step on them.
(4) When traveling up steep slopes, always traverse them; climb in zigzag pattern rather than straight up.
(5) When descending steep slopes, keep the back straight and knees bent to take up shock of each step. Dig in with heels on each step.
(6) Practice walking as fast as you can with rucksack. Do not run with a rucksack. When testing, you may have to trot to maintain time, but try not to do this during training, it may injure you.
(7) A good rucksack pace is accomplished by continuous movement with short breaks (5 minutes) every 6 to 8 miles.
(8) If you cannot ruckmarch, then do squats with your rucksack. (One hundred repetitions, five times or until muscle fatigues.)

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

gleep glop posted:

Some of us are real men.

snap!

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
https://content.goruck.com/fliers/Training%20For%20Selection.pdf

Written by an active Green Beret who was cadre during one of my goruck challenges. It's not so much a set plan but some guidelines. Dude is awesome as hell and had some cool stories. He can also drink. A lot.

Fart Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Aug 15, 2012

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I like doing heavy front squats and hate doing heavy back squat. Mostly because my back squat is 100 lbs higher than my front squat and having all that load on my back makes me all weird and panicky for some reason. It's easier to bail a hosed up front squat.

Either way though, all squats are the best exercises to do.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Hey I do crossfit workouts in NB Minimus shoes. Am I a douche :ohdear:?

I still fuckin love to squat and I hit a PR of 315 and feel like I'm slowly becoming a man as the weight goes up.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

MurderBot posted:

I think you become a douche if you say "hey bro you do know that your 5x5 method is completely not functional strength buiding and you oughta look into this thing they call :smug: high..intensity :smug: It's kind of a big deal, and you know, we can totally get our WOD on.

Oh uh hey I saw you running in those asics and I wanted to let you know you're setting your feet up for failure because uh... you're not running on minimalist shoes.. Yeah you see you need to go back to the paelolithic times and understand that your body :smug: wants to run on barefeet :smug: Excuse me, I need to tell those people over there the same thing.. It's such a crazy world we live in.

on an unrelated note: Does anyone here compete in cyclocross events? let alone cycle?

I guess I'm a douche then.

New topic of discussion. Beer is a great workout supplement. Yes/yes?

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

moker posted:

People pay like 200+ bucks a month to crossfit in some places lol I guess its prolly the same crackers that pay like 75 bucks to run a 5k through the mud though

But I'm a contractor what else am I gonna do with my rivers of cash?

edit: My company pays for gym memberships, even the 175 dollar crossfit :fap:

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Veins McGee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De7rbB2bteE&t=20s

Why is running all of a sudden a cool thing for people to do? If you participate in a Tough Mudder, are you required by law to post pictures of yourself afterwards?

Because it's fun :kiddo:

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Deathy McDeath posted:

Finished the GoRuck challenge yesterday. 20 miles through San Diego, wet and sandy at 4 different locations. A 1200lbs log. Indian runs the entire time (literally, the entire time we were moving). Carrying a litter for a few miles. gently caress if I'm ever going to do that again!

NOW I COME BACK AND THE FORUMS LOOK ALL WEIRD!!! WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS?!?!

Who was your cadre? I've done two and I have 3 more in the next few months. poo poo is addicting.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

DoktorLoken posted:

What's the difficulty level? Sounds like an interesting challenge and fun way to get some PT in.

If you're in decent shape it's not too bad, but by the end your feet will ache and you'll be tired as poo poo. This is assuming your team doesn't suck. If you end up carrying poo poo for your weaker people life gets a whole lot worse. They started offering easier and harder events and they have some fun events, too, like scavenger hunts and things. Check it out and watch some videos: https://www.goruckchallenge.com

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I just bought my own setup. I have a bench and adjustable rack (for squats/bench press) along with 45 lb bar, 255 lbs in steel weights and 140 lbs in bumper plates. I also got some kettlebells for christmas and I can workout when the gently caress I want and don't have to deal with anyone. I'm starting this program on Monday. The only things I will have to work around are pullups and box jumps until I can build those out. Also instead of rowing I will just run more.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

vacation in kabul posted:

I've tried the at-home thing a few times. I always wind up selling or throwing away everything I bought. Just not the right environment for working out for me I guess, if some oiled-up beefy gay guy isn't staring me down in the gay man's temple I just can't get into working out.

I like being able to do other poo poo while I'm working out. Instead of sitting there staring at the bar in between sets I'll work on some chores or play with my dog or something. And then I post about it on the internet.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Veins McGee posted:

The downside is that there's nobody around to save you if you drop the bar on your throat.

I can't lift heavy enough to worry about that :smug:

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Obviously I have a huge hardon for this company, but they do have lifetime free repairs on their bags. I have a few friends who had the zipper break or have some fabric tears and all they had to do was pay to ship it to the company and have it repaired for free.

Then again, I make fat contractor stacks so this poo poo doesn't bother me.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

BULLETS CURE ISLAM posted:

Sounds like they're quality made. Heh.

What I'm saying is for 300 bucks you probably shouldn't know multiple people who have already broken them if they were worth that much ;)

Maybe they use them really roughly and often over a period of years? I'm sorry about your poorness.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

BULLETS CURE ISLAM posted:

haha sorry you paid an absurd amount of money to pay for a day of ~camaraderie~ with a bunch of people by carrying a log and doing stupid obstacles or whatever and got to speak to a REAL OPERATOR! and then bought their stupid gay backpack and continue to pay to carry said logs for some false sense of brotherhood or whatever well cya

(not you deathy you're cool)

Just kidding, dude! Now you hurt my feelings :(

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I don't think I get trolling.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I've been using fitocracy for a few years now and it's really great to track progress over time using their graphing functionalities.

I'm level 36 :smug:

I did yoga today and it was really fun/difficult.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

holocaust bloopers posted:

let's share fitocracies!!!! I'm bird_law on there.

I'm xwonderboyx! Nice to meet you.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

holocaust bloopers posted:

You do the same thing I do where most of the people who you follow are attractive girls.

Nothing wrong with that. Just don't tell my wife :ohdear:

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I feel like poo poo with a sore throat and runny nose.

GONNA LIFT ANYWAY WOO

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I'm too fat for pullups :negative:

Fart Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 7, 2013

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

DoktorLoken posted:

I can only do like 5-6 un-assisted. :saddowns:

I just barely hit 4. I used to be able to do 8. Time to get stronger/lose a bit of weight.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I've done crossfit off and on for around 2 years now and I will come to its defense. With a good coach they will absolutely stop you flat when your form starts to go to poo poo and either make you reduce weight or just quit the workout. This also goes into the "programming" because a good coach won't program wacky poo poo that has you doing nine million snatches.

That said, the "certification" process is a complete joke and any chucklefuck can become a crossfit trainer and open their own gym.

I've been focusing more on strength lately with cardio maybe twice a week just to keep from getting too fat.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Lifting while sick may seem like a boss move, it is not. Good god my body hates me.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

MurderBot posted:

My 6 days of swimming a week doing amazing sprints and intervals is making my body into a godlike physique that swimmers are. Best form of exercise that anyone can do if they want upper body physique. 90% of propulsion in the water is from the arms, lats, upper body etc, 10% legs with it's main focus is buoyancy. loving swim, everyone...

This is what I look like after a hard night of binge drinking.. I'm actually more defined and my 8 pack sticks out but I can't stop myself from drinking the bud heavy.

oh and my dicks like massive too so this picture doesn't do it justice.

:eyepop::eyepop::eyepop::eyepop::eyepop::eyepop::eyepop:

I love to swim but I would rather lift.

edit: I'm jealous of your D

edit edit: my D i mean dick

edit edit edit: also pecs

Fart Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I test my new squat max this afternoon. It's all I can think about at work. I think I have a problem.

Current max is 315. I'm shooting for 325 or 330.

For reference I'm on week 4 of this program.