Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Well, I've quit smoking now. I'm off the patch now for 3 days, and today I didn't get super mad at 5 pm like the past 2 days.

I really need to get in shape now though. Ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Pushups, situps, and running are the best things you can do. Stick with bodyweight stuff.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

DoktorLoken posted:

So I started stripped 5x5 yesterday. Any suggestions on iPhone apps for keeping track of lifts?

I just use a notebook and type it all in to Fitocracy when I get home. Every fitness tracking app I've seen has been annoying as hell to use.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Veins McGee posted:

What functionality does fitocracy have that a notebook and excel doesn't?

I have friends that lift as well, but we can't lift together. (I go to the gym at 3am), so we use that to compete with each other.

Also to yell at each other to do more deadlifts.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

I think Reddit flipped the gently caress out on the creator when he posted on there, saying it wasn't MMOish enough.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Deadlifted 315 today.

Life owns.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

I miss my Iraq breakfast

1 Wild Tiger
2 Marlboro Reds
1 Lipper of Skoal

Meet the day head on

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Captain Amerikkka posted:

Max max relax, only way to go.

Also anyone here use Jack3d before they reformulated it? Some dude at a nutrition store told me that there's something called "preworkout" that has some fancy root in it that's an ephedrine analog or some poo poo they banned from jack3d, is this even remotely true or would I be just as well off drinking a cup of coffee or something?

Here's everything you need to know about preworkouts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmmZULPUEkQ

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

You sound pretty good to go with stats like that.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

heyfresh888 posted:

So far the National Guard has proved to be a nightmare to get squared away with a physical and any sort of paperwork that isn't done by yourself.

To be fair, this has been the case with every NG unit I've worked with. Are you with a medical unit, or attached to something else?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Get your shoulder fixed. Seriously.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

psydude posted:

I don't really get their marketing strategy. All of the gyms I've been to have the free weight section separated from the machine section and cardio section so that the casual workout crew doesn't have to deal with the roid-machines if they don't want to.

On a side note, I really need to join a spin class because oh my god the asses.

It's not a gym. It's a place where moms can go drink their iced coffee while walking a 1 mile an hour pace on the treadmill while she she complains to her friend how much of a shithead her kid's friend's mother is.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Signed back up for a gym today; I was doing really great last year, until I hurt my knee again and basically slid back into civilian fatness.

Honestly I'm probably just going to start up on Starting Strength again unless someone has anything better going on for someone starting over again. It's boring, but it's nice to track my poo poo and see improvements week to week and rip my leg hairs off doing dead lifts.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

holocaust bloopers posted:

Don't be in a rush to chase numbers. The first 6 months to a year, gains come quick. Just practice good fundamental lifting and enjoy it. Making the gym a fun place is the trick to keeping it a hobby.

Nah, I just want to not become a fat person. I'm not looking to hit numbers or anything.

The fat acceptance movement is disgusting and I need to be able to sit there and say "at least I'm not fat".

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

I lifted today for the first time in months, and squats ruined my legs.

gently caress stairs.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Running, pushups, and situps. Keep doing those. Get better at doing those.

Look up the grading scale for PT tests, and aim for a passing score.

If you don't have to worry about PT score during basic, then you're way ahead of the game.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Barbell forearm extensions work really well.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Except they'll all have broken backs so they won't be able to do anything.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Vasudus posted:

The biggest mistake the Army made in the last decade is letting people like you in during the surge. People that probably wouldn't have been let in prior or post surge. It's you, you're the problem.

It was happening before the surge, too. Hell, when I was going through MEPS in 2002 it seemed like everyone had a waiver for something.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

ummm... that's a girl's bike, dude

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Running is the loving worst.

elite_garbage_man posted:

What helped me get consistent was interval training. I picked a target pace of 6 min/mile, then ran a ton of short distances at this speed and rested as long as it took me to complete the interval, usually 200m-400m in length, and maybe once I week I would do 800m or a mile. Every once in a while I'd leave the stop watch and ipod at home just so I could break that mental barrier and not rely on those while running and try to maintain that running style by how it felt.

This is good advice, seriously. There are podcasts or mp3 files or whatever you can download to your Zune (if you're dumb enough to enlist now there's no way you're smart enough enough to have an ipod/iphone) where it's basically just a drum and bass or rave session with a voice telling you to run or jog. Interval running is basically the best way to improve your time if you're already running.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Here, watch this and get inspired as gently caress

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24634158/video-iowa-ot-brandon-scherff-hang-cleans-443-pounds

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

ElMaligno posted:

Its not my first time doing weightlifting or (when I am at a gym with the proper equipment) SS. When I started weightlifting more seriously/SS I was alternating between deadlifting and bent-over rows. But now that I can consistently go to a gym with the proper equipment to do SS and I feel comfortable, I like to do deadlifts on every workout.

Also the "rank novice" workout as per the SS book is as follows:

A
Squats
Press
Deadlift

B
Squats
Bench Press
Deadlift

So yeah the SS book wants you to deadlift on every workout.

yeah, you deadlift until you get the hang of it, and then you replace it on one of the days with power clean.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Deadlifting every lift day is only meant for the first 4-5 weeks, the you swap 1 out for power cleans iirc.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Christoff posted:

So how much are you paying a month? $200? $300?

Jesus is it that much? I pay $35 a month for Anytime Fitness. Only reason I go there is because I like to workout when I get out of work at 3:00 AM. Squat rack is always free.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Woo a 24 hour gym finally opened up in my town, so now I won't have the excuse of not wanting to drive 20 min each way at 3 am to skip the gym.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

bengy81 posted:

They are always so terrible, but so convenient!

My gym has 2 power cages and a smith machine, and exactly 0 Olympic benches, so if you want to bench press that means you are loving over somebody waiting for a cage. Of course that dude is probably just gonna curl or do dumbbell work in it anyways so whatever.

I hate my gym with a passion, but it was the only place in town to work out in the middle of the night, but now a new one opened, so I might have to go check it out and then break up with mine.

I really loving hate my gym.

Honestly, for 40 bucks a month and 24 hour times I'm good. I'll check it out and as long as the free weight section is good then I'm in.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Internet Wizard posted:

Apparently my platoon has a ruck run coming up in January, so I have to start prepping my fireteam for that crap. Any suggestions on how to train for that other than "put on pack, run for a while"?

put on pack, climb some hills

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

free weights every day

machines are for women and old people

just lift weights eat less and stop being fat

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

Already eating less, and doing cardio. I have lost nearly 100lbs since Feb.
And I am broken as poo poo so qualify as an old person.

ok if you're broken and need to use machines then you need to talk to a PT and figure some poo poo out, honestly.

otherwise starting strength is a very good beginner program, as long as you take it slow and make sure your form is top notch.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

The reason that machines suck compared to iron is that you use your muscles to keep it steady as you go through the movement of your exercise. A machine does that for you, which takes away a bunch of the effectiveness.

Machines have a use- like I said, if you're broken and can't perform the exercise safely, then it's all you got. But free weights do so much more for you than a machine.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

Two blown out knees (two torn ACLs that Orthos say aren't worth fixing, and torn PCL in the left knee, crushed cartiledge, and general arthritis), blown right ankle, and compressed spine. These are just the ones that gently caress up my exercise routine.
I can't do squats/deadlifts/ lifting that requires legs, as per doctor's orders. I already ignore much of his advice by hiking, and various cardio, but not being able to walk the next day, or getting stuck in the down position doesn't work out so well. When I said lower body is covered, I meant that I am not worried about the skipping leg day day look. I was planning on sticking to machines because they are more forgiving form wise, and I don't have to stand. I am also worried about using hosed up form and not getting the proper results.
I know I sound like a big baby, but I really do want to get in better shape, but need to go slow.

Yeah, I'd say you're broken enough to qualify to using machines.

I'd say look for a gym with a decent Nautilus or w/e brand circuit routine. Dips/pullups would be great too, but really I would talk to a PT to see if they could recommend stuff for you to be doing.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Kick-Puncher posted:

So I stopped running and my run on my PT test has continued to drop ~14, 13:45, to 12:58 on saturday. I have just been doing a bro split for lifting 3 days a week. I dont know what the gently caress and my weight increased by about 15 pounds.

On the opposite end of the spectrum how do I make sure one of my guys actually does things for exercise? I am NG so I live about 45 minutes away from him and there is no way I am driving up to run with his rear end.

If he's NG and not motivated enough to work out he's not going to. It sucks but it's the loving truth. We had people on remedial pt that had to bring in logs of when they worked out, which could easily be faked but at the same time it's easy to test them and see if they're doing anything at all each month.

Just keep a paper trail and kick him the gently caress out and be happier that he hosed himself over by not working out hard enough to get a 60 in each event.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Kick-Puncher posted:

This is where I am at right now. He is safe for another year I think he has to go two years without passing a record test. He passed the last one because of a profile and some bullshit regulation.

Yelling and smoking do nothing other than bring tears and vomit.

Give him a diagnostic each month until he passes.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

So I joined the 24 hour gym near me last week. It's awesome to be off work at 3am and be at the gym at 3:10am and working out

I haven't worked out in like 6 months so I'm just starting over from scratch on starting strength, doing 50 lbs squats is bullshit but whatever, I'm taking it slow as gently caress and not going to gently caress up my knee again

random question- the modified SS has people doing deadlifts every day until power cleans like 4 weeks in to replace one of the days. I'm saying gently caress it until I can at least get back to 135 on the deadlifts so I don't have to bend over so far to do them. I do them on my B days still, but I've just been doing 5 sets of 3 pendlay rows on A days with all the warmups and poo poo. Sound ok, or is there something better I can be doing to help myself out?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

vulturesrow posted:

Alternatively if they have a power cage just put the bar a couple pegs up from the bottom and pull from there.

im dumb, and feel dumber for not thinking of this

ty for your service

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

So a couple weeks ago I fell on the stairs directly onto my tailbone. I took it easy and laid off the gym while my butt, neck, and back recovered.

Neck and back are doing good, butt still feels a bit off, but doesn't hurt. Eager to get back to the gym though so I think I'm just going to lay off deadlifts/squats for a while.

Anything different you guys could recommend that doesn't work the butt? Probably going to work on my bench and stuff.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

FOURTH WAVE LESBRO posted:

I'd suggest trying as much as you can without actual pain, honestly. Gradually and carefully, but the general rule with back injuries is the less you baby it the better the outcomes are.

Yeah, I felt it last night a bit so I basically said gently caress it and did the treadmill for a bit while watching ESPN guys make fun of the Bears. At least I'm not hurting today but man

gently caress backs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Internet Wizard posted:

I was planning on just taping the hell out of it and taking a bunch of pain killers before doing the run but apparently my platoon sergeant thought that was a bad idea and made me go to sick call today.

tcom is dumb

sounds like a good platoon sergeant

whats that like