Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Isn't IBOLC supposed to be pretty physically intensive? What about OCS? I'm in the OCS option recruitment process right now and I have a PT test in a week or two, they told me I need to get at least 65 push ups.

Been training for it for the past month or so.

Had my friend time me for push ups and sit ups, maxed sit ups, 71 push ups, and 13:43 two mile for the 22-26 age range. I guess that's in the high 280s. 13:00 two mile max seems intense though. Can get down to 13:20 on a treadmill but I felt like I was going to die afterward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I thought the Army was supposed to be doing less running now due to all the injuries it causes? Or at least that's what I gathered from some Army related article I read a year or two ago.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I just asked my dad about his experience with running in the army as an SF soldier for 23 years and the article from '82 makes sense. He said he actually ran less once he got to 7th group in '84 after 3 years in the 7th ID. His longest run in SF was 7 miles with the majority no longer than 3-5 at most. More focus was put on endurance for long range rucking. He also said they NEVER did ruck runs due to how much they gently caress up your joints and back yet I saw cadets at my university doing ruck runs in 2013. He emphasized that the quick release straps were there for a reason, so you don't have to run with all that heavy poo poo on your back.

My dad loved being in the army and being an SF soldier so reading everyones experiences here has really opened my eyes to what much of the military is actually like.

I hate running but I guess at least I've been running a lot for the past 8 months.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

drat, impressive. I just started doing dead lifts a few months ago. I'm pretty tall with long legs, I used to loving hate doing them. My knees kept getting in the way. I've started doing sumo deadlifts, they're easier for me to do. Max is only like 200 right now though, wish I knew about sumo deadlifts when I first started lifting, would be much higher now. Especially since it's my new favorite lift.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Had my PT test for my OCS board administered today. I don't know what got into me but I busted out a 12:10 2 mile run, a personal best. My heart feels like it's going to explode. gently caress I hate running.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I think I'm going to stop lifting and just focus on doing a lot of running and push-ups/sit-ups since I've read that you do a ton of running in OCS and I figure between BCT and OCS it will be a while before I have time to go lift at a gym again. Wish I had a hill to run up nearby though, whenever I google stuff about OCS I keep reading about a "cardiac hill" but we don't have any in southern Florida.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Alright thanks guys, in that case I think I'll lift 3 days a week and do HIIT runs/endurance training on the days in between and then finish the week with a 3-5 mile run. Will come up with a more concrete plan tomorrow after work.

Definitely going to add lunges to my routine, those hills are going to kick my rear end.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

ElMaligno posted:

:gonk: news:
Saw an old man drying out his butthole with a hairdryer.

Why is it always old men that do weird naked poo poo in the locker rooms?

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Did some HIIT runs tonight and now my quads are screaming in agony, good workout though

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

A older guy at my gym always uses those things and he has huge arms

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Anyone have experience with knee pain, primarily on the top of the knee? Every time my foot struck the ground this morning at PT it was absolutely loving killing my knees.. I had IT band issues in OCS but it never really stopped me from doing good on the APFT or the release runs. Going to the athletic trainers tomorrow but it's the same guy that checked me out in OCS and the IT band stretches over the past few weeks haven't really helped. I think what made my knees so painful today was spending all day driving back from leave on Sunday. My knees hurt so much right now that I feel like a god damned old man.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

What do you mean when you say on top? Like above the knee cap going towards your groin or just on top of the knee cap?

Immediately above my knee caps like where it meets your quads. Has to be from the constant running we did in OCS, pretty much every day we were either doing sprints or running a few miles. Quite a few other guys from my platoon have the same issues, the other platoon in my company didn't do nearly as much running.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Thanks guys, I'll go to sick call instead of seeing the athletic trainers in the morning. Hopefully it's nothing too serious and won't interfere with classing up but as it is I can't loving run.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Put me on a no run profile for a week, said it's an overuse injury and to come back if it still hurts next week. Also gave me 800 mg Motrin. Feel like a shitbag being on a profile though.

Pretty sure a week of no running isnt going to do it though, I only ran once at the beginning of 10 days of leave and it still got worse.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Not since joining the army, at least not other than the so-called "strength" days we did for PT. Pretty much everything we did with our legs was sprinting or running a few miles. Even on the strength days when we would do circuits they would still throw in running like start with a mile, do some circuits, run another mile, do more circuits and then run another mile.

Started going to the gym to lift again though now that I'm out of OCS.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

So the physical therapist thinks a compressed nerve in my back is causing my knee to hurt, and unexpectedly the back stretch she told me to do kind of works. Hopefully I can start running again in a few days, I need to get back in running shape for the 5 mile run assessment in a few weeks.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I have to take an RPFT tomorrow and I don't even have a Ranger School slot. Plus I've been gradually getting sicker the past couple of days so the 5 mile run will be fun while I'm hacking poo poo up.

Lifting and weighted sit ups before the Army got me a max for both of those when I took the APFT for my OCS board. Since joining the army my push ups and sit ups have gotten slightly worse and I run a bit slower still after hurting my knee in OCS. Which still hasn't fully healed because we run like every loving day.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Go to a running store and have them analyze your feet and stride and recommend you a pair of shoes but instead of paying a ton of money go order the same pair of shoes online for cheaper.

I don't think I've ever seen a running store where everything isn't overpriced. CERA Sport packets for like 4 bucks each, $50 running shorts, it's ridiculous.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Why not just buy an actual rucksack from a surplus store or somewhere online? They're way cheaper than what you're looking at buying.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I'm trying to improve my PT plan for myself and some of the other staff LTs I workout with during PT. Despite the fact that we're in the gym 4 days a week when I first got here I was the only one that liked lifting and they just did random poo poo more or less wasting time until it was time to leave. I came up with a PT plan we've been using for the past month but I think it can use some improvement.

Right now it's a long run 5-8 miles on Monday.

Tuesday is Chest/Shoulders:
Barbell Bench press
Incline Bench Press
dumbbell raises
standing rows
shoulder press

Wednesday Intervals and light back work:
20-30minutes of intervals
pull ups
seated rows
lat pull downs

Thursday more back:
Deadlift
Barbell Rows
Yates rows

Friday is mostly just a bunch of biceps and forearms work.

Not sure where to throw in squats. Thinking of switching Weds and Thurs. Goal is to take advantage of being able to use the gym 4 days a week for PT and get swole after losing a lot of muscle mass since joining the Army. Finally broke 200 on bench press today for the first time in 2 years.

Also, is there any point to go to my civ gym after work? I have a membership but since I've been going to the gym for PT I haven't used it much since I in processed with my unit.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Most of the exercises are 4-5 sets except for the deadlift and row day which is 7-8. I normally did all the back stuff in one day but we couldn't fit it all into the hour and a half we do PT.

Don't really know how to work running/intervals into a lifting program since before the Army all I did was lift and running was an afterthought.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

As long as I'm 270+ on the APFT I don't really give a poo poo about being "Army Fit". I just want to get swole and strong. It would be awesome if the Army was all about getting huge and strong instead of a culture of running freaks that can't bench 135.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

All right so now it's Monday longish run, Tuesday chest/tris/shoulders, Wednesday is squats/legs, Thursday is deadlifts/shitton of rows, Friday is a bunch of curls/forearm stuff. Is there a better way to optimize or rearrange the days? Or do something different Friday?

Just going to do intervals after work or something. It's really annoying working out with a group of guys with no inclination to lift weights. They always want to gravitate towards the cable machines and do easy poo poo. I have no idea how I get them to do deadlifts and squats in the first place. Or how I ended up as the guy that decides the workouts.

Fortunately the other guy I work with that also likes lifting gets back from Pacific Pathways rotation in a couple weeks so we can go get swole and they can go do random poo poo if they want to.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

That's the one day I can't touch, I think it's a BDE wide thing because it seems like literally everyone is out running on Mondays.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Some kind of legit weightlifting/powerlifting routine we can do Tuesday through Friday, bench press, squats and deadlifts being the primary lifts.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Grab the Cube Method book off of Amazon (or, you know, :filez:) and give that a look. I would say 5/3/1 isn't terrible and can work for a while, but while it's easy to grasp and a solidly established programming scheme it starts getting really loving old after a while.

Basic gist of Cube-style poo poo is you've got 3 rep/set/technique variations done in a staggered order so you're never doing more than one of each a week: Heavy, Explosive, and Reps. Heavy pulls, explosive bench, rep squats. Explosive pulls, rep bench, heavy squats. That sort of thing. Add in varying intensities, peaking every 10 weeks where you test your new 1RMs and continue on from there.

Here's a quick little calculator where you can get a kind of big picture overview of how things work. You can see how the assistance exercises are pretty retard proof for sets/reps and use fairly straightforward linear progression; matching some things to keep what would otherwise be lagging (and thus problem) muscle groups up to speed while also doing work for the complementary antagonist pair to the agonist or "prime mover" work done during your primary compounds, or just simply adding further volume to the targeted muscle group slash plane of motion.

Thanks, going to look at this next week, have to go to Yakima for the weekend.

My boss's replacement showed up today, too early to tell if I'll find myself doing IOTV PT every morning or not but from first impressions I don't think he's going to gently caress with our PT.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Me and a buddy from work have been doing Stronglifts 5x5 Monday, Wednesday and Friday and it owns.

Workout A
Squat 5x5
Benchpress 5x5
Bent over row 5x5

Workout B
Squat 5x5
Overhead Press 5x5
Deadlift 5x5

Deadlift is my all time favorite lift, love the feeling after each set

My diet isn't bad but I need to keep track of my calories better. All the drinking on the weekends doesn't help much either.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Endbuster posted:

Its me again. I have another annual PT test coming up in Feb, and I've gotten to the point where the only thing I can't max is the run.

How the gently caress do I lose a minute on the Army 2 miler. What am I doin' wrong.

I squat, run hills, do sprints, do 60/120s. What is the loving secret?

Seriously, just run faster. Identify someone thats a good runner and just be determined to not let them get past you, it's the only way I can max the run. I don't even consider myself much of a runner, I only run maybe 5-8 miles a week these days. Other people consider me a good runner for some reason, not really sure why. I don't even do sprints or anything, just lots of squats and deadlifts in my lifting routine.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Yeah strong lifts is awesome, you can google it too, he has a website for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Aranan posted:

Gnarly. Hope it's healing well for you. Mine was jaw/skull cutting and realignment, so luckily it wasn't due to an injury and doesn't directly affect movements. I just had to take it easy to make sure the screws/plates didn't pop and I didn't rupture my sinuses and bleed out, which I was told could happen if I pushed myself. Pretty good way for the docs to ensure I rest.

This is what happened to the upper jaw. Basically had my face skinned. A+, highly recommend (not really).

I don't even know what the hell is going on in this picture or why