Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Christoff posted:

Not a huge discount but hey. Fat Gripz for $32.50

I got a set of these, but I feel self-conscious about bringing gadgets into the gym

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Aranan posted:

and I added in 3x8 of weighted incline sit ups.

Stop that
Crunches etc are bro-science nonsense

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Internet Wizard posted:

Yeah dude training your core is for idiots

No, train your core to do what it's supposed to do: stabilize everything else. Accomplish this by using good form on squat, DL, pull-ups, press etc
Almost every kind of sit-up or crunch is hella bad for your back. Stuart McGill (MacGill?) always gets pimped in YLLS for his opinion on the subject

That said, if you're just doing it for afpt score, gently caress it. The only way to get good at sit-ups is sit-ups, I guess. Have at it. Weighted inclines is what I did to train for the navy prt and I used to murder the curl up portion every time. Doing sit-ups is dumb, but then again, I'll never have to do them to keep my job again.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

it is pretty lol to think that some navy computer janitor is giving fitness tips. like animals doing people things.

Excuse me but I was much closer in function to a real janitor than simply a computer janitor in the navy

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

Lookit this shitbag. The only time I went to sick call was to get 18 stitches.

sorry about your disability rating

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
My last two workouts I did: 8+4+3+2 chin-ups and 4+4+3+3+2 chin-ups. Should I start adding weight or shoot for higher numbers on my sets, first?

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Think the general rule of thumb is AT LEAST 8-10 without weight. 15 or so is probably ideal.

cool, thx bro

I figured I should be going for volume and a good ROM on that movement, anyway

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

vulturesrow posted:

Speaking of pull-ups, anyone have some good cues for making sure your lats are engaged? I'm on a mission to git gud at pullups. I've found some good vids, etc, but I still feel like I'm getting it right like 25% of the time. For some reason I just can't get it quite right and given that I'm 230 pounds arms alone doesn't really cut it. Also if there is a thread in YLLS that I would get a serious answer to this question in let me know. I know this one isn't the most well-frequented.

Go literally chest-to-bar, and get yourself a good hang for a second and focus on your shoulder blades sticking out of your back.

-a guy who is admittedly not great at pullups

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

MurderBot posted:

I replaced running/cycling with Rowing a few years ago. Doing 30-40 minutes of rowing is always interesting and seems to burn just as many, if not more calories than cycling or running does...

You of course need to have a rowing machine at your local gym of course, or throw down on one.

using the rowing machine a time or two a week in place of other cardio has been really great for my posture/upper back/caveman shoulders from sitting all day, too

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

seems like a good way to rip your dick off

the person doing it will no doubt shamelessly lay astride it on their living room floor, with great slabs of human fat holding the shakeweight roughly in place on all other sides save the one opening into a replica of misty stone's butthole to keep it from ripping their sloppy half-erect dick off

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

vulturesrow posted:

Replace them with a real pair of shoes. To be fair, when I first started lifting seriously I started out with Converse and they are definitely a step up from trainers. But going from them to lifting shoes was night and day for me.

And none of you assholes better be lifting in Vibrams.

I wear those vibram-soled new balances. Deal with it.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I'm at max fat guys, 229 lbs this morning (5'11"), Fully disgusting, fatter than av, can barely breathe when I'm trying to slam my girlfriend etc

Luckily my college has an extremely dope gym, and I used to be into lifting, so I'm just gonna start posting my workouts here so I can feel accountable to someone, even if that someone is just the void. Program is some barbell movements I like, setsx5, which is all I have patience for for now. It's Starting Strength, It's Greyskull, It's Elitefts, I's a program that came out of some blog article, The 5x5 lives, it dies, it lives again.

I'm back in the routine, shakedown workouts out of the way and all, so I have as my baseline:

A
Front Squat - 135x5x5
Press (military) - 65x5x5
Chin Up - 2, 1 lol
DL (double overhand for now) - 225x5x1

B
Sq. 155x5x3
Row - 135x5x4
Bench 135x5x4

also I might do some preacher curls or diamond pushups or whatever at the end of these but who cares about that poo poo
and gently caress cardio forever but my pedometer on my phone says I walked like 6 miles lol fat people care about walking

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
222 losing some junk food bloat gross gross gross

F Squat - 155x5x5
P - 75x5x5
DL - 245x5x1

I've been checking the pedometer on my phone and regularly getting well over 5 miles a day. lol only fat people care about walking but I've been going hunting every friday afternoon for small game which is like the walking but in snow and I'm freezing my balls off for no real reason because animals know better than to live on public land in colorado and this weekend I also tried cross country skiing which is like walking in the snow except I also fall down about a dozen times

e_g_m blog ur latest WOD on the 5/3/1 I love reading other people's boring workout journals thx

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
last two:

Sq - 185x5x5
B- 135x5x3 haha little bitch trex arms
Cable Row - arbitrary "105" x10x3 I really love this movement and getting a good long stretch and really drawing the shoulder blades back etc

F Sq 175x5x5
P 75x5x5
DL 265x3 - still doing doulbe overhand, gonna go ahead and go to mixed grip from now on, think there's plenty left in my hips

might try to start getting more show muscle work in, though my crippling negative body image really make me feel silly about doing curls

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Woke up this morning having to roll out of bed and stretched/foam rolled for half an hour before I stopped hobbling around like an old man.

The foam roller owns

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
229 this morning

last two:

B 135x5x5
R 135x5x5
Sq 185x5x1 gassed out. Should probably run or bike or something
preacher curls

- - - - - -

FSq 185x5x5
P 75x5x4
DL 275x3
cable row
2 chinups lol

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
B 145x5x4
R 135x5x5
Sq 185x5x5

- - - - - -

FSq 205x3x3
P 75x5x7
DL 275x5

- - - - - -

B - 145x5x4
R -135x5x5
dumbell bench
cable row

been working out in the evenings usually now, got dumped so got plenty of time again lol

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
nm just using this time I would've been hanging out with my gf at the gym on saturday morning

F Squat - 205x5,1, 2
Press - 85x5x5
DL - 295x5

this was a great workout, tho can't wait to hit some major plate milestones in the next few months as my life crumbles around me

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

elite_garbage_man posted:

repped out 135 on ohp today got 9 easy which is better than where I was before hockey season started.

did some other strength poo poo and stretched. felt pretty good.

hitting easy reps of 135 on ohp is a dream of mine

- - -

FSquat - 205x5,2,2,1 and then 135x5x3 bc volume
P-95x5x4
DL - 315x5 yeeeeee

231 pounds

edit instead of bumping dead gay thread:

Squat 205x5x5

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 21, 2017

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
FSquat - 185x3x3
P-95x5x5
DL - 325x5
Chin-up - 2
Dip - 5x2

226 pounds

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
My favorite drill for front squats is to do a set or two "zombie" style, i.e. hands-free with your arms straight out in front of you. You'll learn where to rack it on your shoulders pretty fast and get your elbows high. Will probably also be a good trainer for your upright balance. I can do a set or two at work weight usually, but it will point out any flaws in the arch of your back or your "rack" pretty fast.

Only reason my Front Squat is high proportional to my squat is because I've only been in a routine like I dunno a month at this point. It's already against the wall, but I should be able to wring a little more out of my back squat in a few more weeks. A 200 lb differential would be totally normal if you were back squatting 405 or something

---
Faptain's Log:
B - 155x5x3, 95xburnout to 20

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
my nutrition still sucks, but beer: 230

F Squat - 185x3x5
P - 95x5x4, 65 to 20
DL - 225x10 double overhand

It was like 9 so I got the gently caress out of there. No real progress made on my stats, but finally able to start getting some volume with heavy weights which is good and I bet if I start working out in the morning again, I'll start really killing it but gently caress all that well that's my story

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
^ been thinking about getting into yoga again myself for the same reasons, but I love the agile 8, and once you memorize it it's really quick and good for warmup if your gym has a foam roller. I'm sure longer routines are out there.

Frosted Flake posted:

How are you measuring your progress? If you keep strength training your weight might stay around the same while your bodyfat goes down.

By the mirror. Stats are just what I'm posting here weight lifted weight lost. The lifting is already doing good things for my posture, but let's be real, I'm 6 feet tall and tubby as all hell at 230 lbs. I know it's my diet, should lay off the beer etc.

edit: hell, why not e/n a little. Part of me getting back into fitness was my shrink weighing me and pointing out that weight gain is a side effect of a drug I'm on. Whoops. It fucks with my appetite and makes me just want to mow down sugar non-stop (don't usually have a sweet-tooth) and I hadn't even noticed until I gained however much weight, especially when combined with going through a couple of pretty bad breakdowns where I have a hard time cooking and shopping, so getting my diet back into a good routine of vegetables, fats and complex carbs and a little protein is my next step and I'll be back at fighting weight in a few months. Always comes easier once the exercise routine is in place, cause you need good fuel for the machine hail satan

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 1, 2017

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
ok I'll eat more protein. The bean of the week is garbanzo.

Squat - 225x3x5
Row - 155x5x3
Dumbbell Bench 45x5x5
Cable Row 10x3

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
yes but literally none of this addresses the simple fact that fatness is a moral failing and that I should be ashamed to be in public until I've lost 20 pounds or so

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
F Squat - 205x5x2, 95 burnout to 20
Press - 95x5x5, 65 to 20

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
last night:

The gym was positively mobbed with frat boys, so literally only piece of barbell equipment I could hop on was

Incline Bench - 115x5x3, 95x5x4 for some more volume

day before:

ran around the block, took a yoga class. My university rec center has them for only $5 which is rad as gently caress

edit for today:
had time this morning to do what was supposed to be last night's workout
Squat- 225x5x3 - utterly destroyed a pair of Nike Dri-Fit shorts lmao
Row - 135x10,6,5 dropping the weight and upping the volume and trying not to cheat
Dumbbell Bench - 45x10x3
cable row

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 8, 2017

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Not bad, made my abs sore the next day. It was an "athletic recovery yoga," , so not too hard. I used to smoke them bikram 90-minute hot yoga joints but I remember they were pretty expensive. There's some more advanced stuff on the schedule if I want at my university gym, still $5 a class.

I'll probably try the "All Levels Yoga" next before going for something more challenging but ultimately I'll add it in once a week or so. Mindfulness practice owns, and I also love their ridiculous pseudo-anatomy chatter during the class

just opening up through my side bodies over here

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
lol I've done the squat bench row workout three times in a row now its may favorite so screw you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Still 225, but hit 335x5 on deadlift and started running again.