Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Second flush after getting sun scorched last month- y’all think I pruned these branches back too far? A lot of the ends were toasted, but I’ve been second guessing my very rough shaping. I feel like I could’ve left 2-3 inches more on all of them and given it a wider look.

Ultimately it looks a bit more proportional like this, although the trunk’s obviously got many years to go. I know it’ll send out shoots from all the live tips, I just hope they don’t mess up the shape too much.

This is the odd maple where I’m really happy with how I think the top will look in a few years based on where it is now, but obviously that trunk needs some time, and maybe some grafts in a year or two.

It’s got the nice beginnings of a baby nebari tho.

Here’s where it was in May, when the branches were longer, and the trunk was noticeably thinner, amazing how quickly it thickened up after I removed the stake. I like the wide exaggerated trident maple look, although admittedly it’ll need a much thicker trunk to look good like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Spring has sprung and it's always nice when a plant doesn't die

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Jestery posted:

Spring has sprung and it's always nice when a plant doesn't die

it’s August, my guy. I don’t think it’s spring anywhere just yet.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

What about Australia and friends?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Ok Comboomer posted:

2 weeks ago I was cooking breakfast in a puffer jacket, this morning I was frying bacon in my underwear

The plonts know, flowers are starting to bud and such

Edit:
I'm getting mulberries

Jestery fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Aug 4, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bug Squash posted:

What about Australia and friends?

Jestery posted:

2 weeks ago I was cooking breakfast in a puffer jacket, this morning I was frying bacon in my underwear

The plonts know, flowers are starting to bud and such

Edit:
I'm getting mulberries

I know it's warm, I was just joking that it's not officially Spring in the southern hemisphere for another month

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Ahh fair cop

Tone in text and all, sorry if I came off persnickety

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Australia also never has had 4 seasons, it’s more like 6 x 8 I believe in most parts

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TheMightyHandful posted:

Australia also never has had 4 seasons, it’s more like 6 x 8 I believe in most parts

australia's seasons are like its wildlife

more drama, more danger, more parts

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Tomorrow's prune job

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Hello Bonsai thread. Since I am still trying to stay as much indoors as possible (even though vaxxed) I had this strange idea of giving Bonsai care a try, and got myself a starter set.

It's a 7 year old Ligustrum (hope that's the correct translation into english) which I'll keep indoors. I already found a nice spot for it that should match what I red in the book that came with it, and is pretty close to my air humidifier, and now I'm totally ready to basically do everything wrong because I'm kinda scared of this little beautiful thing.

So thanks for reading and be prepared for stupid questions.

e: currently reading the OP which is cool and good!

tuo fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Aug 6, 2021

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

tuo posted:

Hello Bonsai thread. Since I am still trying to stay as much indoors as possible (even though vaxxed) I had this strange idea of giving Bonsai care a try, and got myself a starter set.

It's a 10 year old Ligustrum (hope that's the correct translation into english) which I'll keep indoors. I already found a nice spot for it that should match what I red in the book that came with it, and is pretty close to my air humidifier, and now I'm totally ready to basically do everything wrong because I'm kinda scared of this little beautiful thing.

So thanks for reading and be prepared for stupid questions.

e: currently reading the OP which is cool and good!

That's probably a Ligustrum sinensis, Chinese privet. Your most important thing to get the hang of now is watering. You generally want to let the soil dry out, then really drench it Don't have a schedule, go by soil dryness. But if you let it dry out for too long (say a few days), then your tree will seriously suffer. Making sure it gets water when it needs it is vital as they don't have big root systems to hold reserves in. If you need to make a choice between watering too soon or too late, water too soon every time.

If there's a spot the tree can sit outside in the sun, then it will grow better, but Chinese privet mostly needs to be inside over winter (climate depending).

Don't worry about repotting or pruning or wiring for a year or two. Focus on keeping the little dood alive, and getting a feel for what works and doesn't.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Thanks a lot! I'll check that little guy permanently in regard to dry soil. I won't really start with pruning and other stuff until I realize I can keep it alive with proper watering and fertilizing it (don't want to introduce too many possible errors too soon).

Currently I won't put it outside, as it's lovely weather here, but if we get some nice late summer days, I'll definitely give it some nice sunny afternoons.

I think I'll call it Woody the 1st.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Well I ran out of wire and we are in lockdown, I guess I'm just waiting to shape

I wanted to start on ramification, but on closer inspection I don't think it was ready

So just a moderate trim to neaten up and encourage new growth this summer

There are a couple fusions I'm really happy with and want to develop too

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Bug Squash posted:

If there's a spot the tree can sit outside in the sun, then it will grow better, but Chinese privet mostly needs to be inside over winter (climate depending).

I am currently soaking up as much information as I can get all over the net, but of course I'll ask the questions here because goons: as I understand it, it's not advisable to keep a bonsai indoor all the time (as you also said). So if I now put it outside in a slight shaded place but where it also gets full sun for couple of hours...do I have to do this slowly, only couple of hours at first, or can I just put Woody 1st out into the late summer we have here 24/7, and water and fertilize until it gets colder, and then put it inside again?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Jestery posted:

Tomorrow's prune job

is... that an eyeball?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

I had to say goodbye to some of my plants today

I'm moving to a unit that may not be able take the large number of plant

I've posted here before about the fella up the road with a bunch on bonsai, so I knocked on his door and had a chat and he took half of them , he runs some local bonsai groups and he is gunna give them to some newbies

He gave me the grand tour and showed me his gardens, he had a couple century trees which was cool

His name was Dilbert :3

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

tuo posted:

I am currently soaking up as much information as I can get all over the net, but of course I'll ask the questions here because goons: as I understand it, it's not advisable to keep a bonsai indoor all the time (as you also said). So if I now put it outside in a slight shaded place but where it also gets full sun for couple of hours...do I have to do this slowly, only couple of hours at first, or can I just put Woody 1st out into the late summer we have here 24/7, and water and fertilize until it gets colder, and then put it inside again?

Sorry for the late reply...

Gradual introduction is the safest way. Many plants can go straight to full sun, but it's species and condition dependent. My indoor fig got sunburn going straight into the summer sun, but after a few weeks adjusting it was fine and put on tons of growth before colder weather forced it back indoors.

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
:sharpton:
AGAIN!

Jestery posted:

I had to say goodbye to some of my plants today

I'm moving to a unit that may not be able take the large number of plant

I've posted here before about the fella up the road with a bunch on bonsai, so I knocked on his door and had a chat and he took half of them , he runs some local bonsai groups and he is gunna give them to some newbies

He gave me the grand tour and showed me his gardens, he had a couple century trees which was cool

His name was Dilbert :3

That's a bummer man. I'm just now a year in an I can't imagine having to get rid of part of my paltry collection of seedlings and fledgling azaleas. Glad they went to a good home.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
https://youtu.be/9bmbPwtJujE

Ryan can be a tiny bit obnoxious IMO, but he knows his poo poo and I love this premise

Also it’s October and the tropicals are coming back inside

looking forward to giving these two their first defoliation and wiring

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Oct 1, 2021

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

https://youtu.be/9bmbPwtJujE

Ryan can be a tiny bit obnoxious IMO, but he knows his poo poo and I love this premise
Yeah, I've got this on the background and it's easy watching. I find most of Mirais videos a bit unengaging to be honest. Ryan's clearly producing masterpiece level work, but I just can't get into it.

Meanwhile Heron's videos just have Peter Chan producing consumer level work while nattering away into the worst microphone on YouTube and I can't get enough.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bug Squash posted:

Yeah, I've got this on the background and it's easy watching. I find most of Mirais videos a bit unengaging to be honest. Ryan's clearly producing masterpiece level work, but I just can't get into it.

Meanwhile Heron's videos just have Peter Chan producing consumer level work while nattering away into the worst microphone on YouTube and I can't get enough.

I've been watching a lot of Greenwood Bonsai stuff recently, also found some Japanese channels run by working pros that are p cool and super instructive, though I have to watch attentively since I can't understand the language.

Gro Bonsai is cool, Aussie Bonsai Bloke is cool, Jeffs Bonsai is cool, Nigel Saunders is cool (fight me), Bonsai supply's cool, Appalachian Bonsai is cool

for tree peeping I really like RomeTokyoOneWay, it's just videos taken inside Japanese bonsai nurseries with zero commentary. Sometimes they're shows/sales/expos, sometimes they're all satsukis or pines. AFAIK, Claudia, the lady who runs it, and her husband always get permission from the owners whenever they film. If I'm wrong about that I'd hate to be abetting the non-consented-to filming of people's bonsai :ohdear:

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 6, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
if you need a reminder, Home Depot is liquidating all of their remaining non-Holiday trees and shrubs at 50% off. Lots of great deals to be had on junipers and picea and acers and plums and weird surprises and whatnot

maybe you’ll find an unloved Mugo pine that’s too ugly for the yard (but perfect to start making into a bonsai) for $11, or maybe that spruce forest planting you’ve had on your mind is suddenly much more in-budget now.

or maybe you’ll do what I did and pick up a 3’ Tamukeyama that’s like 70% of the way there for $44.99 (seriously, what the gently caress) :wtc:

like I don’t want to blow poo poo out my rear end all over my clean pants here but I’m pretty sure I’ve seen dead ringers for this guy at New England Bonsai selling for like $800+

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

if you need a reminder, Home Depot is liquidating all of their remaining non-Holiday trees and shrubs at 50% off. Lots of great deals to be had on junipers and picea and acers and plums and weird surprises and whatnot

Mine did this like, months ago. I don't think they've got anything left :(

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
My sibling lives in Louisiana and had the hurricane wipe out quite a few of their beloved bonsai trees. Any recommendations on some kind of gift certificate or gift subscription a bonsai-enjoyer would appreciate? Price range can be $100 - $200 as a few people will be chipping in.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Peteyfoot posted:

My sibling lives in Louisiana and had the hurricane wipe out quite a few of their beloved bonsai trees. Any recommendations on some kind of gift certificate or gift subscription a bonsai-enjoyer would appreciate? Price range can be $100 - $200 as a few people will be chipping in.

Brussel’s is in Mississippi, no idea if it’s worth getting a gift card to that place vs someplace cheaper/more local

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

Brussel’s is in Mississippi, no idea if it’s worth getting a gift card to that place vs someplace cheaper/more local

That should be perfect, thank you!

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
:sharpton:
AGAIN!

Peteyfoot posted:

Underhill is another option, and even more local than Brussel's. https://underhillbonsai.com/

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Is home despot liquidating their pre-Holiday trees in your area too?

might be worth tossing him $100 gift card to get some decent prebonsai candidates (piceas, junipers, various maples, various pines) that aren’t price gouged to poo poo like they are at many bonsai nurseries, esp Brussels tbh.

IDK about your brother, so correct me if I’m wrong here, but the majority of bonsai hobbyists aren’t predominantly stocking their benches with trees that they got as $200+ specimens, nevermind $1000+ ones.

A lot of the sub-$100 trees from places like that are really kinda “mall-sai” in my opinion—super small, a curley que in the trunk with a basic triangle shape, stereotypical gift trees. A ficus or a wimpy looking satsuki, a basic juniper, etc.

People with a lot of interest quickly move past those and that’s where things like nursery stock, “yardadori”, collected yamadori, etc come in—where you take a cheap landscape or woods tree that’s four feet high or a bush, an ugly plant with a weird bend in the trunk, and hack it down/wire it/grow it into a bonsai.

That’s where the actual hobby lives.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Oct 12, 2021

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I very much appreciate the further recommendations! My sibling is 38 minutes away from Underhill Bonsai and would probably love to go nerd out there with a fat gift certificate. I think that may be a more splurgy of a gift than a Home Depot gift card, they actually worked nights at Home Depot for a long time. 😂 An Underhill gift card might be a real treat for something fancy they usually wouldn't usually pick up.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wallet posted:

Mine did this like, months ago. I don't think they've got anything left :(

aren’t you in MA? I got that tree in Salem, and the sales in Everett and Revere have been equally good

Peteyfoot posted:

I very much appreciate the further recommendations! My sibling is 38 minutes away from Underhill Bonsai and would probably love to go nerd out there with a fat gift certificate. I think that may be a more splurgy of a gift than a Home Depot gift card, they actually worked nights at Home Depot for a long time. 😂 An Underhill gift card might be a real treat for something fancy they usually wouldn't usually pick up.

that’s definitely the right call then. Best of luck!

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

aren’t you in MA? I got that tree in Salem, and the sales in Everett and Revere have been equally good

Yeah but western MA. They do have some stuff left but it's mostly boxwoods, roses no one wants, and some butterfly bushes.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Wallet posted:

Yeah but western MA. They do have some stuff left but it's mostly boxwoods, roses no one wants, and some butterfly bushes.

lol

lmao

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

My local Home Depot is kind of lame and doesn't seem to have anything on clearance right now. They do have a handful of coastal redwoods at $50; they're about 6' tall and the trunk is maybe 1.5" wide at the base, and I almost got one but didn't because I don't know anything about the suitability of coastal redwood for bonsai (I guess I'll do some searching tonight).

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
visited the inlaws this weekend and they've got this tree at one of the temples in the neighborhood i thought you guys might find interesting.

it's old as hell and at some point a lot of wood in the main trunk died so they replaced it with concrete or something like that. it's pretty cool.

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

:unsmigghh:

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

That's really looking good. I like the stones you have in the pot as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
The rabbits Walter Pall’ed a bunch of my Satsuki prebonsai this past week during the deep freeze and I don’t know whether to be angry or not.

Like, they definitely went a lot shorter than I maybe would have in many cases, but also I can’t fault them on their form. They did an excellent job rounding them out.

I guess what worries me more is the risk of dieback given the time of year. Some plants got like an 80% defoliation, which I certainly wouldn’t have done until March :ohdear: