Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Oh man, a bonsai thread! I'd like to try my hand at growing one. Your map thing says I'm in zone 7b. I like the look of the trident maple, which this site says will work for me. I live on a third floor apartment though, and my only available potting would be inside or on the inside windowsill of an open window, or on the fire escape (partial shade). I don't get a whole lot of direct sunlight, maybe 2-3 hours per day (a bit more on the fire escape). Would this plant work for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Mr. Soop posted:

@Clanpot Shake: Good news and bad news. Bad news first. A Trident Maple probably isn't going to work out for you, as Maples in general require about 4 to 6 hours of sun minimum each day. You could have one, but it wouldn't be too happy and wouldn't grow very well. If you're dead set on having an actual Maple though, a Japenese Maple might be worth looking into as it has a higher shade tolerance and might do okay on your fire escape. Now for the good news. While a Trident Maple wouldn't work, there are other plants associated with bonsai that might. Indoor bonsai like a Ficus or a Fibrous Begonia would benefit from more from such a small amount of sunlight better than a typical outdoor bonsai would. In particular, a Fibrous Begonia might be right up your alley. It has trident shaped leaves and grows pretty well without too much maintenance. My teacher recently entered one in the California Shohin Seminar (held only every 2 years, it's a bit of a big deal here in Cali for bonsai enthusiasts) and had a lot of people impressed with it. Many mistook it for a Trident Maple actually. I have one as well and I'm pretty happy with it. Anyway, here is where he got his. Cuttings also root easily for Begonias, so you can potentially grow more if you wanted.

http://www.logees.com/Begonia-Partita/productinfo/B3222-2/
This site says minimum temperature 60F, hardiness zone 10 or higher for outdoor. I'm in 7, and it can get down below zero here, and maybe down to 60 indoors (old building). Are you double sure that one will work? Also, it's not clear what that site is selling for $10 (that particular plant, one like it, with/without pot?) Does this species change with the seasons as the maple does?

What about something of another type? Like a juniper? Would that work for me?

Also just a suggestion but maybe include pictures of each species in the OP?