Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

nobody- posted:

Something I've been wondering as I'm seeing acorns falling to the ground everywhere -- why aren't oak trees popular bonsai specimens? Do their leaves tend to be too big, or do they not tolerate the pruning and root trimming well?

I think its because they take a billion years to grow.

Im going to be attempting to grow some Australian Natives into bonsai soon, after seeing these

River Red Gum (Eucalyptus camaldulensis)

Narrow leaf Peppermint (Eucalyptus nicholli)

Bottlebrush (Callistemon viminalis)

The biggest issue with playing with Aussie natives is that they HATE their roots being touched and can quite often just turn up their feet and die after a re-pot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

So I just bought a dwarf banksia. This should be a nice challenge before stepping up to Eucalypts

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Well my Eucalyptus are in their pots. This should be interesting to see how it goes, considering the line of thought on Bonsai of Eucalyptus is "You do it when you've bonsai'd every other species in existence and want a challenge"

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Holy poo poo! My eucalyptus are all growing! Thats not meant to happen according to the internet!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

A human heart posted:

Eucalypts basically grow all year round, they don't really have a dormant period like most trees.

Jamming one of these

Into a 6" pot isn't meant to work out as well as it is!