Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
I have a cat who is kind of a d-bag and has started chewing on my ficus leaves now that I brought it inside. Will the bitter apple stuff hurt the ficus if I spray it a few times until he stops going after it? I also put aluminum foil around it because cats apparently hate walking on it. If this isn't a good idea does anyone else know how to keep cats away from their bonsai trees?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

Crocoduck posted:

Euthanasia. Bonsai > Cats.

Well the tree definitely shits less so you might be on to something.

Mr. Soop posted:

I just put my Ficus up where my cat can't get it. But then again he's never shown any desire to munch on it, so I dunno if that's really very good advice... :eng99:

I wish I had a spot he couldn't get to. He didn't want to munch it when I first got it but now that I brought it back in for the winter he is all about it.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

jackpot posted:

Not that being poisonous has ever stopped a pet from eating something (when I bring everything in for the winter I have to keep half of my plants in the laundry room because of our cats), but I'm surprised your cat is going for it. Ficus aren't deadly poisonous, but they're not exactly pet-friendly, either.

He's kind of just biting through the leaves not really eating it so my outer leaves are just covered in puncture marks and slices, none of the leaves are actually eaten or anything. But I didn't know it was poisonous so you'd think even just biting the leaves would be avoided. He's probably just doing it to spite me because I keep coming home smelling like my girlfriends cat who likes to lay on me while I sleep.

Mizufusion posted:

Nothing is out of reach for cats that want to chew on things. My old roommate had two cats, and one of them managed to chew up my pothos vines even though they were in a window 12ft off the ground. Could you perhaps built a moat around your bonsai?

Alternately, buying something safe for the cat to chew on might be a good idea. Maybe some pet grass would work, if you can get him to eat that instead.

I'm going to try this next if the bitter apple stuff mixed with water doesn't work.

Edit: Enough whining about my cat. What kid of ground covers do you guys use? I just got some sphagnum moss I am trying out, if that doesnt work I am going to try dwarf thyme.

Richard Bong fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 12, 2012