Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I've been thinking about picking up a few more figs in the new year, since I'm basic like that. I've already got a ginseng ofc, and I think I'll get a f. regligiosa for sure. Does the thread have any recommendations for willow-leaf varieties of fig?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Ah crap, the link expired

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Heads up UK goons, I was doing some early tree shopping and a lot of online shops have straight up stopped selling to the UK due to Brexit, even places with .co.uk websites.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Is there a knack to getting Juniper cuttings to root? Most places seem to think it's dead easy but none of my procumbens nana cuttings have survived.

Also, is there a difference between indoor and outdoor Chinese Elms other than the environment they're raised in? I've got a bundle of seedlings that are doing very nicely outside (and that's where they'll be staying), but some places talk about them as if there are different varieties, while other places describe them like you could just swap a plant between the garden and house.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I'm having a go at getting started with dwarf schefflera bonsais. Ordered a regular one online, and as expected it's about half a meter single stalk standard form. I've taken a topical cutting, to hopefully kick start some useful prebonsai, and left the rest to grow. My plan is to keep taking topical cutting from the main plant once I get a decent amount of new growth (hopefully with some splitting as well), and see how that goes.

The plants are cheap as chips online, so it's not much of an investment to try and get started.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Jestery posted:

I wanted a dwarf variegated schefflerra so I spent 20 dollars on one

In the time for shipping I found a non-varigated one at my local mall I could have taken a cutting of

And a variegated on 30 meters from my front door I could have taken a cutting of

They're not particularly common in the UK, or at least in my part of town. I've seen one in a local library (just as a lanky house plant), but none in local stores for sale.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Jestery posted:

Fair

It was not a moral of

"Look around you"

It was a moral of

"I'm a big dumb face guy who likes burning money"

That's what I thought, no worries.

I've had the exact same experience as you after ordering just about every kind of tree. soon as it's in the mail all of a sudden the local garden centre is stocking enough a plant a forest.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I have done my very first potting, courtesy of the cheap plastic containers from China.

I'll be cleaning up the wires later, I underestimated the thickness of gauge that would be required to bend the trunk away from the camera (it already had that slightly too extreme bend in it).

There's a few branches that will definitely need to come out or be moved around, if it survives. I'm learning as I go, and definitely nervous about moving my tree into a small pot, but it was time to bite the bullet.

Edit: had a rethink today, turned the tree round and took out one of the lower branches and wired the remainder of the pair to bring the foliage into the curve created by the upper foliage. Less trunk visible, but hides some of the uglier bends.

Bug Squash fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jun 10, 2021

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Jestery posted:

I did a little walk through of my garden today because I was feelin it

https://youtu.be/92KR6s4YPMI

:)

Loving the traditional design of your tree stand. I have the same one myself.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

it’s August, my guy. I don’t think it’s spring anywhere just yet.

What about Australia and friends?

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

tuo posted:

Hello Bonsai thread. Since I am still trying to stay as much indoors as possible (even though vaxxed) I had this strange idea of giving Bonsai care a try, and got myself a starter set.

It's a 10 year old Ligustrum (hope that's the correct translation into english) which I'll keep indoors. I already found a nice spot for it that should match what I red in the book that came with it, and is pretty close to my air humidifier, and now I'm totally ready to basically do everything wrong because I'm kinda scared of this little beautiful thing.

So thanks for reading and be prepared for stupid questions.

e: currently reading the OP which is cool and good!

That's probably a Ligustrum sinensis, Chinese privet. Your most important thing to get the hang of now is watering. You generally want to let the soil dry out, then really drench it Don't have a schedule, go by soil dryness. But if you let it dry out for too long (say a few days), then your tree will seriously suffer. Making sure it gets water when it needs it is vital as they don't have big root systems to hold reserves in. If you need to make a choice between watering too soon or too late, water too soon every time.

If there's a spot the tree can sit outside in the sun, then it will grow better, but Chinese privet mostly needs to be inside over winter (climate depending).

Don't worry about repotting or pruning or wiring for a year or two. Focus on keeping the little dood alive, and getting a feel for what works and doesn't.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

tuo posted:

I am currently soaking up as much information as I can get all over the net, but of course I'll ask the questions here because goons: as I understand it, it's not advisable to keep a bonsai indoor all the time (as you also said). So if I now put it outside in a slight shaded place but where it also gets full sun for couple of hours...do I have to do this slowly, only couple of hours at first, or can I just put Woody 1st out into the late summer we have here 24/7, and water and fertilize until it gets colder, and then put it inside again?

Sorry for the late reply...

Gradual introduction is the safest way. Many plants can go straight to full sun, but it's species and condition dependent. My indoor fig got sunburn going straight into the summer sun, but after a few weeks adjusting it was fine and put on tons of growth before colder weather forced it back indoors.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

https://youtu.be/9bmbPwtJujE

Ryan can be a tiny bit obnoxious IMO, but he knows his poo poo and I love this premise
Yeah, I've got this on the background and it's easy watching. I find most of Mirais videos a bit unengaging to be honest. Ryan's clearly producing masterpiece level work, but I just can't get into it.

Meanwhile Heron's videos just have Peter Chan producing consumer level work while nattering away into the worst microphone on YouTube and I can't get enough.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Can anyone offer some advice on Schefflera arbicola varieties? I have a nora that I've been unsuccessfully trying to get a cutting / airlayer from to start a bonsai, but I've seen a luseasna in a nearby shop that looks like it has an overall smaller appearance that might make a much better base to work from. I can't find anything online about variety difference, so I'm hesitating on biting the bullet.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Video of a replanting of John Naka's Goshin III, in 2019.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Saving the good folks a click if they just want to find out what the video is about.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Just a wee bit pot bound.

Apologies for the terrible bonsai quality, this one was literally my second ever attempt and I cannot bring myself to throw a tree away no matter how crap they are.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I see a lot of people doing very silly things with seedlings, but yeah, all you really want to do is try and grow them like normal tree seedlings and get them as big as possible until they're a decent size to work with. Any kind of "bonsaiing" operation reduces the vigor of the tree and means it'll take longer to where you want it to be. The urge to do premature work is very real though.

The only exception to that is if there's something at serious risk of ruining the overall shape of the future bonsai, like two thick branches growing at the same level causing inverse taper. In that case one of them gets the snip.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I did a silly little project. I had a jade that needed repotting, and a mallsai pot too small for a real plant from back when I didn't know any better. This is the end result.

Obviously not a real bonsai, but it's a neat little novelty to have indoors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

what’s “unreal” about this bonsai?
Jade isn't a tree, but honestly I'm not that orthodox about the hobby. If someone came to me with that planting I'd call it a bonsai, I'm just insecure about my own work.