Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I love the look of bonsai trees, but I'm afraid to own since I'm pretty bad at pruning my plants as is. I'm currently trying to make an artificial bonsai tree on my spare time, but I don't like the pot I have it in. The pot that I am currently working on my artificial Japanese maple in is a strange style, kinda like a regular rectangular pot stacked on top of an old blocky phone handset, all glazed bright green. It was only 50 cents, so I won't much more. :v:

Does anybody have any advice for finding nice looking bonsai pots that are under $30? Are there certain guidelines for styles that would suit a bonsai tree?

edit: Where do you guys go to buy your bonsai pots?

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

neurotech posted:

Thanks guys.

I will get into it after today. It's currently 41°C (106°F) here and going outside for more than five minutes is too much.

Random question, but do you live in the southern hemisphere? It's currently 1°C where I live, and it'd be nice to be somewhere where it's warmer. :)

Also that's a great specimen of a baby jade. It doesn't look like it's been ever pruned so it's grown wild, but I've never seen bigger than 4 inches. Yeah, everyone's already said it, but getting a cutting of those things to root is totally easy. Let the side heal and become dry to the touch, where you broke it off the main plant, and then stick it in some soil. After over a week or so, when you move the cutting gently, you should notice that it doesn't move so freely anymore, because it now has roots to anchor it in place. Then you can congratulate yourself and have a bonsai party. You can even take individual leaves from a jade plant and grow new plants that way. :3:

Sorry if I :spergin:, I love succulent plants and propagating, and am always happy to help if anyone wants.

Everyone who helped me out with pottery posted:

Cool bonsai pot information.

Thanks for the links, I've been interested in trying to get the style-side of bonsai down, and this already give me lot more of an idea than what I started off with!

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, a week would be plenty of time to heal. Succulent plants, for me at least, only need a day for their wounds to dry to the touch. Once you stick them in some soil, they'll grow roots eventually, though they hate to be babied with too much water when they're still a cutting.

Hope your jade bonsai goes well! Even when they're not specified as bonsais, I've seen Jade trees develop into stately-looking mofos.

http://zakkabonsai.wordpress.com/2011/05/29/day-two/ I found two cool pictures of bonsais that were specifically done with baby jade plants, and it seems like a pretty cool plant to work with. Good luck!

edit: Why won't image shack links work anymore?

Double Edit:
Another Jade Plant, although this one is a cultivar called Gollum. I'm not too sure if any of the plants I posted were pruned to show off their lovely branches, or if they grow naturally so impressive looking. Hope you guys enjoy regardless.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 9, 2013

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
^^^I'm glad if I could convert a person to the succulent side of plants, muahahaha :twisted:

Oh man, I didn't realize you'd be getting that big of branch to work with (but that's a good thing! More to work with), so maybe it might take a lil longer than my initial advice of a day to callous over. Those little branches towards the bottom of the second one could be used to grow separate plants if you want to give it away to a friend or someone. The type of soil to use when those branches finally heal is going to have be well-draining/well-aerated for sure.

If you search on the internet for cactus soil recipes, you can use that as an excellent soil to grow in, but what I've found out is that regular potting mix and perlite can also work just fine. I recommend at least 1/4 of your final soil being perlite, with the rest potting mix, and I usually use 1/3 perlite to 2/3s potting mix. There's not really a science behind the measurement, but what winds up working for you might be determined by your weather, and how well your pots drain.

but yeah, tl;dr: A soil that loose and airy would be great to put those branches of yours in. For me, I use a blend of potting mix and perlite to get a good soil for my succulents to grow in.

There are a lot of different ideas about what ingredients would be the best soil mixture out there, but I haven't had time to test these out:

http://www.bambooandmore.info/2011/10/my-recipe-for-fast-draining-potting-mix.html
http://cactiguide.com/article/?article=article8.php

Hope that helps you out.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Now I think I can see why bonsai is considered an art. By itself, the poison ivy is a little frumpy looking, but it's the gnarly rock and the cobweb that says that this thing is the essence of poison and danger.

Those unusual bonsais are also amazing.

edit: here's a picture of my funky looking bonsai pot that I have my artificial tree in. Does anyone know if this style is common?

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 11, 2013

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

unprofessional posted:

I believe this is Porticularia afra, not a Crassola that people are often talking about when they say "jade plant." Good example of why common names suck. Good news is P. afra actually makes a better bonsai tree in my opinion. It makes a very nice formal display when properly trained.

Unprofessional is absolutely correct! It is a Portulacaria afra, and it grows in a much different shape than a Crassula. In the wild Portulacaria afra will grow long, thin branches, while Crassulas will usually develop have short branches on a fat stem. I goofed because I didn't know if Dwarf Jade grew the same habit as a normal Jade plant does, but whoops, wrong species.

Continuing to go on what Unprofessional said, they can be very pretty plants, if not slow growing. I personally have the variegated version of Portulacaria afra called Rainbow Bush. :cheeky:

Please take a look at this image. It's a photo of one of those Portulacaria's in bloom. The steam, and leaves look like good bonsai material alone, but the flowers are the cherry on top! Although you have to do some sort of technique to do achieve those flowers...

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Muffy_the_Diver posted:

After poring over the thread for the past couple days, I've got a couple questions for y'all! I've been toying with bonsai for a couple years now, but haven't ever given it a serious commitment. Hopefully I can buckle down and get some stuff started! Here are some of my hopefuls:

Crassula ovata and C. ovata var. 'Gollum.'

The Gollum has a decent start but the plain ovata needs some work. I grew it from a cutting back in 2004, and while I love it to pieces I don't really know where to go with it. I know I'd like the trunk larger and fuller foliage, but beyond that I haven't the foggiest. Should I work on trunk girth or filling out the foliage first? How would I go about achieving girth?

My woefully light-starved P. afra, grown from cuttings (on my windowsill in gloomy OR, stolen from a plant in AZ). I'm going to try to get one of them to branch out and then go from there.

Finally, a rubber tree:

I've had this guy for a long time and have never had any success with getting it to branch out (I realize the pot is laughably microscopic). Has anyone had success bonsai-ing one of these? I'm not particularly attached to it, so at worst I kill it, it will have been a good learning experience, and I have one less plant to worry about. v:shobon:v

A lot of people have given you great advice already, which is to give your plants more light, but I'd like to reiterate that advice. I'm not too sure how cold and rainy it gets in Oregon, but putting your plants outside even under a shaded/covered area should greatly increase the amount of UV rays it gets. Even better results with full sun. :)

Here's a picture of my plants:

I also have a rubber tree, two Crassula ovatas, a Crassula ovata var. 'Gollum', and a Portulacaria afra ('Variegata', but it's hard to see, in the tall orange pot with the undead rose plant in it), and they are grown in a shaded area with only evening sun to brighten them up :whatup:

I think your jade plants are very healthy, but if you want them fill out both in foliage and girth, brighter light is the way to go. If you put your plants outside whenever you can, I can guarantee you'll see what you're looking for after a while. The only bad thing is that C. ovata and P. afra are very, very slow growing plants even under ideal conditions, but on the bright side, it gives you more time to plan your next bonsai steps with them?

My advice for getting more branches on your rubber tree would be (once again) to put it outside, and then neglect it except for the occasional water. Your rubber tree is pretty tall as is, so I think once it gets bright light, it will spend some of its energy on producing side branches which is what happened with my plant. Plants don't really like to grow lanky and noodly, so they'll try and start over again in a different location along the trunk. Plants that are lanky only have enough energy to maintain its single apical meristem, but the lateral meristems will wake up with enough sun.

But anyway, I really do think your jade plants are pretty and have good trunks to start with, so hopefully things go well!

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

jackpot posted:

I fried my avocado. Put it outside because hey, they grow in hot places (found out later, they grow in hot places in the shade), only to come home at the end of the day and all four leaves are shriveled up. Is it a goner? Anything I can do, pull the dead leaves off?

Maybe... It depends if the roots and stem aren't fried as well. Even if the stem is crispy, it would be nice to put it out in a shaded place to see if anything might sprout from the bottom again.

One of my Astilbe plants that got fried to the ground is slowly coming back after looking dead for two weeks. I hope your plant does the same thing as well. :ohdear:

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
While looking up pictures to use as a model while creating my own artificial bonsai, I stumbled upon this person:

http://fusionbonsai.com/fusion-project-2/

Basically this person is taking 150 Japanese Maple seedlings and trying to fuse them into a single bonsai tree. Has anyone heard of something like this before? It seems interesting but a little unethical to me, but I'd like to see if his experiments pan out to anything. Also to add to the the mad sciencist feel I get from his blog, his avatar is pretty creepy.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
There's this one person who makes amazing artificial bonsai trees on a miniature scale that I'm a fan of. Thought that you guys might enjoy!

http://kentoart.deviantart.com/

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Hi, I'm crossposting from the Plants in General Thread, but I figured it might be relevant here even though it's underwater. Here's some bonspiration.

Pale Wind, Takayuki Fukada. Japan. 2013 IAPLC Gold Prize

More beautiful aquascapes here: http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2014/01/the-incredible-underwater-art-of-aquascaping/

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I know this is my go-to response, but I think it's honestly too much water. The spots don't seem like bug damage to me.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
^^^This has pretty sound advice.

Since the plant is so weak, I would recommend avoiding chemical sprays for keeping bugs away, and instead treat any bug problem by hand.

If the soil is overly soaked, the good thing is that you can help your plant deal with that by getting a chopstick (idk why chopsticks are the best garden tool but they are) and gently poking a hole/little tunnel that reaches the bottom of the pot. This will help the tree's roots from drowning. You can make more holes depending on the amount of soil, and if the soil takes a long time to dry out or not.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Crocoduck posted:

Restyled my white pine with Walter Pall.

This dude??? http://walter-pall-bonsai.blogspot.com/?m=1

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Pham Nuwen posted:

My well-meaning mother in law, knowing that I'm interested in growing plants and gardening and such, just gave me some tiny clay pots. I mean tiny, most of these are less than 2" across and 1" deep. Here's a picture with a nickle and a dime for scale:

Where did she get these? They are beautifully shaped and adorable! :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
If they are brittle, they're a goner. Don't worry though, new branches will grow eventually.