Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Any resilient flowering bonsai? I've tried doing willow trees, wisteria and a couple fruit trees, but my black thumb has killed them all. Definitely going to get a juniper one going because it seems like the hardiest tree I can get, but I'd like to get something fancier looking too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Crocoduck posted:

No juniper will do well inside, there's a lot of misinformation floating around on the web. Even if they look like they're doing well, they're not. Trust me, your best bet is keeping it outside. If you want an indoor tree I'd advise getting a ficus or a jade tree.

I'm worried about the frost destroying my juniper's roots in that tiny pot, I'm in Chicago, so it's not like the cold alone will kill it. Will it survive the winter out doors or do I bring it in before first frost?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

The Door Frame posted:

I'm worried about the frost destroying my juniper's roots in that tiny pot, I'm in Chicago, so it's not like the cold alone will kill it. Will it survive the winter out doors or do I bring it in before first frost?

So basically just throw it in my garage and try and keep it above 14 degrees for the winter? Sounds easy enough

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Well, I got it from a local Home Depot, so I have no idea where it came from originally. Does that really matter?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Illudere posted:

I dug a cold frame for winter maple storage. If you dig below the frost line they shouldn't freeze all winter long. In this photo the plywood cover is not yet attached.

Ooo, that seems really helpful, how deep do you have to dig to keep from freezing?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

....would....would it flower?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Avocado trees are a pain in the dick unless you're really careful with them. My dad is used to run the green house at the local high school and has the greenest thumb of any person I've ever seen and he's only been able to get 2 to grow into actual trees from the seed over the course of a decade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

platedlizard posted:

I'm doing it. I'm going to bonsai some chilis this year, following Fatalii.net instructions. It's probably a bit late to start some seedlings this year, but oh well. They're not 'true' bonsai, because a chili plant isn't a tree, but I think it's about my speed. I just ordered some Trinidad Perfume chili pepper seeds, which are not supposed to be hot (and therefore should be palatable to my mother who cannot stand capsicum) and we'll see how it goes. If this is moderately successful I'll see about picking up some nursery trees later.

Anyway, the basic plan for chili bonsai is to grow the chili outside in full sun (or as much full sun as western Oregon can give me) in five gallon pots to try to get the plant as big as possible for a nice large mature looking "trunk". When fall comes around and fruiting is over, take them inside and do some serious pruning and training down to bonsai size. Apparently chilis can handle aggressive pruning like that just fine. The site says that I can maintain them like that for as long as I want, or replant them outside the next year for another large bush (then take inside and trim to bonsai size again)

I've been really looking into this and apparently, some peppers (like bell peppers) don't become woody shrubs and some just randomly die near the end of season. The fatalii guide unfortunately does not specifically say which species do and don't make good "bonsai". I've been thinking of using habaneros and aji amarillos, and I'm confident the habaneros will work because they're listed as perennials and described as hardy shrubs, but does anyone know if the aji amarillos will be any good?