Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I know basically nothing about starting bonsai, but this looked like good stock so I dug it up and potted it a few days ago:

It definitely grows in my climate and juniper in general make good bonsai. I’ll try to identify the species of the parent bush sometime.

The pot is 10 cm diameter at the lip, for scale. The big box store unsurprisingly didn’t have bonsai‐style pots (shallow and wide) and I needed something fast. I mixed some of its native clay with potting soil. It doesn’t drain well, though.

How am I doing so far? If I should repot immediately, let me know.

Should I start working it while it’s young or let it grow freely till winter?

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 07:56 on May 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I returned to the locale where I found this sprout and attempted to identify the species of its parent. Instead I found four different species of juniper in close proximity, so that approach won’t work. :wtc:, landscapers.

The parent plant (whichever of the four it is) seems to be quite healthy in clay, but after reading more since my last post and learning of the particular susceptibility of junipers to root rot, I potted this one in equal parts cactus mix and perlite.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 11:43 on May 17, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I repotted a big box store ficus today that had suffered under glued gravel for eight years.

Considering that, it was in pretty good condition.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

fuzzy_logic posted:

"chuck approximate amounts of each in the empty pot and stir with hands" type

It’s an underappreciated method.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Internet Explorer posted:

That looks really nice. I had a bonsai once and I killed it because I suck. I am going to lurk this thread for a few years and maybe some knowledge will rub off. :)

Get a dwarf Hawaiian umbrella tree.

It won’t teach you bonsai techniques, but it’s cheap, it grows fast, it looks nice, it can be kept indoors, and it’s quite forgiving of mistreatment.

Crocoduck posted:

One of the best sources of 'how to grow plants' is potheads. Those guys have pushed their plants to their physiological maximum and with a bit of tweaking you can use their techniques on bonsai.

“Hydroponics” shops have all the best supplies.

Apparently, growing marijuana in hundred‐litre pots is a thing.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 29, 2019

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bessantj posted:

That is looking very nice indeed.

Has anyone ever grown banana bonsais? My mum bought me a packet of 100 seeds from some place in China so it should be interesting.

From what I’ve seen of the growth habit of banana, it should be interesting.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

bessantj posted:

I think I've failed with my seeds. They've been in soil 26 days now and no germination to be seen.

These were the banana seeds?

Don’t blame yourself. Bananas are the pandas of the plant kingdom.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Bonsai Buddies

Use that smug purple spymonkey in the tag.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I sterilise tools with bleach, which is a strong argument for stainless steel.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It would be a very sad deciduous tree if it couldn’t take 9B.

quote:

Ulmus parvifolia is one of the cold-hardiest of the Chinese species. In artificial freezing tests at the Morton Arboretum.[17] the LT50 (temp. at which 50% of tissues die) was found to be −34 °C (−29 °F).

17. Shirazi, A. M. & Ware, G. H. (2004). Evaluation of New Elms from China for Cold Hardiness in Northern Latitudes. International Symposium on Asian Plant Diversity & Systematics 2004, Sakura, Japan.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s not a directly applicable standard to be sure, but there’s a fifty‐four Fahrenheit degree spread between that LT50 and the coldest temperature that can be expected in a 9B winter. Potted citrus can be grown in zone 9B, albeit in much larger pots than bonsai are working with.

If anything, I would worry about it being too warm and not settling into proper dormancy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jestery posted:

Ficus's are always a nice addition , and Cali climate is fairly tropical, if dry , right?

Not San Francisco.

As Mark Twain put it, “The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco.”

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Melbourne and San Jose have similar climates, differing mainly in their rain distribution. San Jose gets it all in the winter. Melbourne’s can come at any time.

But don’t bring this up in D&D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
So you had them in the refrigerator for five months?

That’s not that weird. You stand a decent chance of getting germination.

It’s a finicky species in general though.