Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
Oh goodness, this thread makes me remember a project I intended to start last year and never got around to, making a "bonchi", a bonsai chili!

Here's a really good link on how to do it. The advantages are that chillies are easy to grow inside, provided you have enough light, and you can get a mature-looking bonsai in less than two years. Chili plants are fairly hardy and take well to being heavily pruned and shaped. Also, chillies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I just bought a cluster-planted Norfork Pine to be a live Christmas tree. Would it be worth it to turn it into a bonsai after Christmas? I found one thread about it and it seems like it might be an interesting project. Do you have any thoughts about it?

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

We'll have to see what happens when I pull the clump apart then :D I love primitive pines, but so many of them don't bonsai well. Maybe some kind of air layer thing, or a palm-tree look. I'm thinking about doing it in spring when it's warm enough to take the tree outside (so, late February around here). If I do it I'll take pictures and report back.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

neurotech posted:

I have what looks like a Baby Jade (?) in my rented apartment's front yard.

I'm super new to bonsai. Should I attempt to take a cutting or two and plant them?

Admittedly I probably have about as much experience as you do, but I would give it a shot. Baby jades apparently adapt well to cuttings, so you probably can't really hurt it.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Now I want a giant jade plant. I don't think I'd get one as a bonsai, but great big jade plant? Yep. They're so cool looking.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Mizufusion posted:

If you lived nearby, I'd give you one of mine. The previous owners of this place (or the current landlord) must have loved jade plants, because there's a ton of them in the yard. Most are potted, including three giant ones between the hot tub and the fence. Always thought it was kind of stupid to plant something there since they can't be seen and no one pays attention to them, but they do surprisingly well. They don't get much light or water, but they're still vibrant and green even in the warmer months.

I live in Oregon, but thanks anyway!

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I'm pretty sure that's a maple.

Here's a cannabis bonsai.

e. And here's a Coca bansai.

e2. Here's one that baffles me, bonsai poison ivy.

I'm pretty sure the roots of poison ivy are more toxic than even it's leaves. The person maintaining this bush must have to wear protective gear to keep from breaking out every time they touch the thing.

Source.

platedlizard fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jan 11, 2013

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

The Door Frame posted:

....would....would it flower?

If you're talking about the cannabis one, I think it's starting to flower in that picture (I admit to knowing very little about pot). I've definitely seen pictures of bonsai cannabis flowering before.

If you're talking about the poison ivy I have no idea.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I'm doing it. I'm going to bonsai some chilis this year, following Fatalii.net instructions. It's probably a bit late to start some seedlings this year, but oh well. They're not 'true' bonsai, because a chili plant isn't a tree, but I think it's about my speed. I just ordered some Trinidad Perfume chili pepper seeds, which are not supposed to be hot (and therefore should be palatable to my mother who cannot stand capsicum) and we'll see how it goes. If this is moderately successful I'll see about picking up some nursery trees later.

Anyway, the basic plan for chili bonsai is to grow the chili outside in full sun (or as much full sun as western Oregon can give me) in five gallon pots to try to get the plant as big as possible for a nice large mature looking "trunk". When fall comes around and fruiting is over, take them inside and do some serious pruning and training down to bonsai size. Apparently chilis can handle aggressive pruning like that just fine. The site says that I can maintain them like that for as long as I want, or replant them outside the next year for another large bush (then take inside and trim to bonsai size again)

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Bengy posted:

Today I bought a Japanese Juniper Bonsai at a craft show at my university. The guy selling it neglected to tell me that I was buying an outdoor plant and I was wondering how necessary it is that the juniper grow outside. I know it needs a dormant period during winter, so it it okay if I leave it indoors until fall comes around and then when it starts getting cold put it outside? I live in Baltimore city if that makes a difference.

Here's a picture of it:

It probably won't be happy indoors. Generally they're only displayed inside for a few hours at at time before going back outside.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

AwwJeah posted:

Yeah I tried my best to clean it up and flush out as much as I could from the soil (the water was foaming up a surprising amount considering I only gave it a few quick sprays). I got to say though, the plant already looks like it's losing a little color and some of the leaves have little spots that are worrying me. I'll see where we stand in a few days. I was planning on re-potting it next week but I think I'll hold out until September now that it's really being stress tested.

Actually you might want to repot now if the soil is contaminated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

unprofessional posted:

The idea of the metasequoia fusion is fantastic.

Maybe a dumb question, but can metasequoia be bonsaied?

e. wait. Google says yes.