Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

So, I picked up this one from Homedepot

My original plan was to go to the local bonsai shop and get one, but for $35 (with pot and all), I couldn't resist.
It's approx 40cm tall.

Now with the little reading I've done, I think I need to:
- Fairly aggressively prune it down
- Re-pot it in a shallow pot, with a proper soil mix. (The perlite is only a shallow top layer).

I haven't looked at the root yet, but as the pot is fairly deep, I suspect I also have to cut down the roots a lot.

I suppose that prune and re-potting at the same time is a bad idea, so which one should I do first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Mr. Soop posted:

Either one would be fine to do first. Pruning in order to start building the shape of it that you want, repotting it to help aid the growth of the tree and reestablish the root system for it to be an actual bonsai.

Personally speaking, I would repot first (being that Spring is approaching soon, the tree will bounce back quickly) then wait a couple weeks to prune some. But as I always say, that's just me.

It'll be a few weeks before I get the new pot (My wife is a potter,so I 'ordered' one), so I think I'll do the pruning first.
Thanks for the help.