Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

What would be best process be to go about finding a Trident Maple suitable for Bonsai, and taking care of it and cutting it to be planted in a pot?

Everything I've read says that pruning a Maple is best done in early spring. Given that it is already summer, my thought would be to find a nice maple with a 3" or bigger trunk from a nursery, and just keep it in a pot and grow it until next spring, maybe keep the leaves pruned to encourage smaller leaf growth.

The issue is, I live in an apartment so it isn't as if I can put this tree in the ground before I cut it to put in a pot. If I found an acceptable trident maple would I be okay leaving it in the pot on my patio for a season and cutting it down for a bonsai pot next year?

I'm new to the bonsai hobby, I've got a Juniper I picked up locally that I'm trying to keep alive, and hopefully I can get in some classes at a local Bonsai garden when they become available so I can learn more about the shaping/training aspect of all this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

KingColliwog posted:

Actually, unless it already has the trunk, roots and basic shape that you want, you should keep your tree in a regular pot and not a bonsai pot. Once put in a bonsai pot, your tree will grow only very slowly.

it's 200% ok to put it in a big pot for a year or so until you can repot it next spring (or whenever repoting is supposed to be done for a trident maple)

If you keep a tree in a big pot would it still be worthwhile to put it in a bonsai soil mix, or would a more "regular" soil be necessary?

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

Alright well, looks like this weekend I'll get to trounce around Austin garden centers looking for maple trees.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

So I've been happy to see a lot of leafy growth from my newish-to-me Hedge Maple tree, but I've been plagued by something eating the leaves. What can I do (insecticides or other) to try and prevent the local bugs from killing my bonsai? Is there a preferred brand or method people are using?